Numbers 22:21-35

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 20 posts - 41 through 60 (of 64 total)
  • Author
    Baker
    Participant

kerwin

The confusion comes in when soul and body are used interchangeable; the same goes when spirit and soul are used interchangeable. Soul is used for body, and soul is used for spirit; so, which is it?
    Jesus said,

Mat 10:28 And fear not them which kill the body, but are not able to kill the soul: but rather fear him which is able to destroy both soul and body in hell.

So, what is the soul? what is it that only God can destroy? What is it that all humans have, but no animal has? What did Paul say, that man has?

1Cr 2:11 For what man knoweth the things of a man, save the spirit of man which is in him? even so the things of God knoweth no man, but the Spirit of God.

So what is this “spirit” in man? what is it that makes us so much more intelligent than animals?
    Don't we call it a “mind”, that makes us understand the things of man, physical things?
    Why did Paul say.

Phl 2:5 ¶ Let this “”mind”” be in you, which was also in Christ Jesus:

What, or whose “mind”, was in Jesus? was it not God's Holy Mind, his Holy Spirit?
    This “spirit” Paul talks about, is our “mind”, it does not die the first time “we” die, it only dies in the second death; so you see, spirit and, or soul, sometimes mean the same.

Divine nature is not “controlled” by any thing, is is the nature Jesus now possesses, it means immortality. It was his reward for becoming our sacrifice.

Jhn 5:26 For as the Father hath life (immortality) in himself; so hath he given to the Son to have life (immortality) in himself;

God “gave” his son immortality, AFTER he died for us. It is not a “spiritual” nature, it is “spirit” nature.

Georg

Ed J
    Participant

Quote (Baker @ Jan. 14 2011,03:13)
    kerwin

The confusion comes in when soul and body are used interchangeable; the same goes when
    spirit and soul are used interchangeable. Soul is used for body, and soul is used for spirit; so, which is it?

Georg

Hi Georg,

Shaool(the Apostle Paul) uses “spirit” and “soul” interchangeably;
    Dr. Gene Scott (Click Here) was going to to his doctorate on the differences.

God bless
    Ed J (Joshua 22:34)
    http://www.holycitybiblecode.org

Baker
    Participant

Quote (Ed J @ Jan. 14 2011,09:24)

kerwin

The confusion comes in when soul and body are used interchangeable; the same goes when
    spirit and soul are used interchangeable. Soul is used for body, and soul is used for spirit; so, which is it?

Georg

Hi Georg,

God bless

Well, you can call me Dr. Georg

Georg

kerwin
    Participant

George,

From what I understand the soul is the essential nature of a human being while the spirit is the guiding nature. They are not the same though scripture does seem to use the same words for them at times making things confusing.

It is my understanding that the spirit is not the mind or the heart but rather works on both. I believe both the mind and the heart are part of the flesh.

The divine nature that Jesus possesses is that he is righteous as God is righteous even as God calls each and every one of his people to be. The result of having this divine nature is that you will not perish as God stated the wages of sin is death.

At another time I will strive to remember to quote the scriptures that brought me to these understandings.

Ed J
    Participant

Quote (Baker @ Jan. 14 2011,10:50)

Quote (Ed J @ Jan. 14 2011,09:24)

kerwin

Georg

Hi Georg,

God bless

Well, you can call me Dr. Georg

Georg

OK; Dr. Georg without an “e”.

Baker
    Participant

Quote (kerwin @ Jan. 14 2011,22:09)
    George,

From what I understand the soul is the essential nature of a human being while the spirit is the guiding nature.   They are not the same though scripture does seem to use the same words for them at times making things confusing.  

It is my understanding that the spirit is not the mind or the heart but rather works on both.  I believe both the mind and the heart are part of the flesh.

The divine nature that Jesus possesses is that he is righteous as God is righteous even as God calls each and every one of his people to be.  The result of having this divine nature is that you will not perish as God stated the wages of sin is death.

At another time I will strive to remember to quote the scriptures that brought me to these understandings.

kerwin

Soul is our flesh body.

Gen 2:7 And the LORD God formed man of the dust of the ground, and breathed into his nostrils the breath of life; and man became a living soul.

God breathed “life” into the lifeless “sculpture” if you will. The breath of God gave it “life” not a soul; he then “became” a “LIVING” soul/body. Our body is our soul. Animals are “souls” also.

The “spirit” in man is our “MIND”, it has nothing to do with our heart, the heart pumps blood through the body, that's it, it does that all on its own. You can't make your heart go faster, or slower by just thinking of it, meaning, with you “mind”.
    The heart is flesh, right; but the mind is not, that's why Paul called it “spirit”, it's invisible.

You don't have to have a “divine” nature/body to have eternal life. Angels do not have a “divine” nature/body, and look how long they have been around.
    The saints, those that have made a covenant by sacrifice, will be resurrected with a “spirit” body, but not with a “divine” spirit body. While all the rest, second resurrection, will have a flesh body, but God will give them “eternal” life.

Georg

terraricca
    Participant

Quote (kerwin @ Jan. 15 2011,05:09)
    George,

From what I understand the soul is the essential nature of a human being while the spirit is the guiding nature.   They are not the same though scripture does seem to use the same words for them at times making things confusing.  

It is my understanding that the spirit is not the mind or the heart but rather works on both.  I believe both the mind and the heart are part of the flesh.

The divine nature that Jesus possesses is that he is righteous as God is righteous even as God calls each and every one of his people to be.  The result of having this divine nature is that you will not perish as God stated the wages of sin is death.

Kerwin

I believe that the soul is only one part ,the spirit that God gives when we come to live is our slide were all is written on it ;
    Dt 4:29 But if from there you seek the LORD your God, you will find him if you look for him with all your heart and with all your soul.

Dt 11:13 So if you faithfully obey the commands I am giving you today—to love the LORD your God and to serve him with all your heart and with all your soul

Mt 10:28 Do not be afraid of those who kill the body but cannot kill the soul. Rather, be afraid of the One who can destroy both soul and body in hell.

1Th 5:23 May God himself, the God of peace, sanctify you through and through. May your whole spirit, soul and body be kept blameless at the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ.
    Heb 4:12 For the word of God is living and active. Sharper than any double-edged sword

Lk 1:46 And Mary said:
    “My soul glorifies the Lord

1Pe 2:11 Dear friends, I urge you, as aliens and strangers in the world, to abstain from sinful desires, which war against your soul.

2Pe 2:8 (for that righteous man, living among them day after day, was tormented in his righteous soul by the lawless deeds he saw and heard)—

3Jn 1:2 Dear friend, I pray that you may enjoy good health and that all may go well with you, even as your soul is getting along well.

you can see if you want in those verses that the soul is not only flesh but a combination of ourself,

just as the body is many parts but one body.

Pierre

kerwin
    Participant

Georg,

Jesus taught us the body can be destroyed but not the soul, Matthew 10:28. If they were the same then destroying one would destroy the other. Only God can destroy the soul. In additions Psalms 31:9 speak of both the soul and body growing weak with grief.

Those that believe in Jesus participate in the divine nature through the promises of God, 2 Peter 1:4. Since human beings participate by living by the Spirit of God so to do the loyal angels of God. That is how we are unified with God through Jesus via the Holy Spirit and so mature in Christ.

References:

Matthew 10:28(NIV) reads:

Do not be afraid of those who kill the body but cannot kill the soul. Rather, be afraid of the One who can destroy both soul and body in hell.

Psalm 31:9(NIV) reads:

Be merciful to me, LORD, for I am in distress; my eyes grow weak with sorrow, my soul and body with grief.

2 Peter 1:4(NIV) reads:

Through these he has given us his very great and precious promises, so that through them you may participate in the divine nature, having escaped the corruption in the world caused by evil desires.

kerwin
    Participant

Pierre,

I believe the soul is the essential person but the heart is the emotional center and the mind is the mental center. I believe the spirit is what guides the person because Jesus teaches us that is what the Holy Spirit will be to those who believe.

If I understand you correctly that seems to be similar to what you also are stating though I have expanded on what you seem to be stating.

Baker
    Participant

Quote (kerwin @ Jan. 15 2011,22:07)
    Georg,

Jesus taught us the body can be destroyed but not the soul, Matthew 10:28.  If they were the same then destroying one would destroy the other.  Only God can destroy the soul.  In additions Psalms 31:9 speak of both the soul and body growing weak with grief.

Those that believe in Jesus participate in the divine nature through the promises of God, 2 Peter 1:4.  Since human beings participate by living by the Spirit of God so to do the loyal angels of God.   That is how we are unified with God through Jesus via the Holy Spirit and so mature in Christ.

References:

Matthew 10:28(NIV) reads:

Do not be afraid of those who kill the body but cannot kill the soul. Rather, be afraid of the One who can destroy both soul and body in hell.

Psalm 31:9(NIV) reads:

Be merciful to me, LORD, for I am in distress; my eyes grow weak with sorrow, my soul and body with grief.

2 Peter 1:4(NIV) reads:

Through these he has given us his very great and precious promises, so that through them you may participate in the divine nature, having escaped the corruption in the world caused by evil desires.

Your answer appears to me, as though you never read my last post, therefore I wont bother repeating what I said there.

Let me just say this; if you were to replace “soul” with “mind” in these two instances, would it make sense to you?

Georg

terraricca
    Participant

Quote (kerwin @ Jan. 16 2011,05:08)
    Pierre,

I believe the soul is the essential person but the heart is the emotional center and the mind is the mental center.   I believe the spirit is what guides the person because Jesus teaches us that is what the Holy Spirit will be to those who believe.

If I understand you correctly that seems to be similar to what you also are stating though I have expanded on what you seem to be stating.

Kerwin

how can you exclude the hearth of anything that God is or does or says ,is not the first of is commandment “to love God with all your hearth and strength and mind ??

the hearth could be just a pump,but this is not what God was referring to,or did he???

Pierre

GeneBalthrop
    Participant

Quote (kerwin @ Jan. 15 2011,22:07)
    Georg,

Jesus taught us the body can be destroyed but not the soul, Matthew 10:28.  If they were the same then destroying one would destroy the other.  Only God can destroy the soul.  In additions Psalms 31:9 speak of both the soul and body growing weak with grief.

Kerwin…….Problem is you taking Matt 10: 28 wrong . Jesus was saying that a Living SOUL, can't be destroyed by MAN by simply killing the Body, because GOD can reconstriuct a BODY with the exact DNA and the SPirt which left the BOdy when It died or was Killed , can be reunited with the New resurected Body, and the person can continue to live as a Soul again, But when that person does die , if GOD were not to reconstruct His body and add s[pirit back into it , That person would be destoryed and parish ever, so GOd can leave you in the Grave and you simply would no lionger exist as a LIVING SOUL again for ever. IMO

Jesus was just tell them that GOD has the final say and control over our lives rather we live or die, but if we are to live it will require a Body with Spirit in it just as it is Now alive with Spirit in it also. Just as it is also with Jesus so is it also with us. IMO

peace and love……………………………………gene

kerwin
    Participant

Georg,

I made two points in responce to the post you state you believe I had not read.

The first is that body and soul and not the same since they are mention as two parts of a whole.

The second is that human beings particpate in the devine nature by living according to the Holy Spirit and so much the angels of God.

I paraphrased both.

Baker
    Participant

Quote (kerwin @ Jan. 18 2011,15:28)
    Georg,

The first is that body and soul and not the same since they are mention as two parts of a whole.

The second is that human beings particpate in the devine nature by living according to the Holy Spirit and so much the angels of God.

I paraphrased both.

Alright, then what is Paul talking about?

1Cr 2:11 For what man knoweth the things of a man, save the spirit of man which is in him? even so the things of God knoweth no man, but the Spirit of God.

What is the “SPIRIT” in man, and what is the “SPIRIT” of God?
    And what is the “MIND”?

Phl 2:5 Let this mind be in you, which was also in Christ Jesus:

Georg

kerwin
    Participant

Pierre,

I am not sure what you mean by saying I excluded the heart of anything God is or does, or says.

Perhaps this covers it.
    The spirit fills the heart with God’s love and also guides the thoughts of the mind with that same love.  In this way it teaches a disciple to obey all things God commands,.

kerwin
    Participant

Quote (Baker @ Jan. 18 2011,15:23)

Quote (kerwin @ Jan. 18 2011,15:28)
    Georg,

I paraphrased both.

Alright, then what is Paul talking about?

1Cr 2:11   For what man knoweth the things of a man, save the spirit of man which is in him? even so the things of God knoweth no man, but the Spirit of God.  

What is the “SPIRIT” in man, and what is the “SPIRIT” of God?
    And what is the “MIND”?

Phl 2:5  Let this mind be in you, which was also in Christ Jesus:  

Georg

Georg,

Good questions! Please let me take some time to meditate on them.

kerwin
    Participant

George,

This is what my pondering on the words of God you quoted have wroth.

Paul was speaking of the councilor within a being and not the essential essence of a being.  The former, as to God’s, is addressed in Galatians 5:22-24 and things of God are the fruit of his Spirit as mentioned in the Galatians 5:22-23.  

The spirit affects the mental element, aka mind, of a person and so one of the fruits of a holy spirit is holy mental activity.

Galatians 5(NIV)

22 But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, forbearance, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, 23 gentleness and self-control. Against such things there is no law. 24 Those who belong to Christ Jesus have crucified the flesh with its passions and desires.

terraricca
    Participant

Quote (kerwin @ Jan. 20 2011,03:00)
    George,

This is what my pondering on the words of God you quoted have wroth.

Paul was speaking of the councilor within a being and not the essential essence of a being.  The former, as to God’s, is addressed in Galatians 5:22-24 and things of God are the fruit of his Spirit as mentioned in the Galatians 5:22-23.  

The spirit affects the mental element, aka mind, of a person and so one of the fruits of a holy spirit is holy mental activity.

Galatians 5(NIV)

22 But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, forbearance, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, 23 gentleness and self-control. Against such things there is no law. 24 Those who belong to Christ Jesus have crucified the flesh with its passions and desires.

Kerwin

are you not going to fast??

this is were we stand today;Jn 17:20 “My prayer is not for them alone. I pray also for those who will believe in me through their message,

now let see your dreams

Pierre

kerwin
    Participant

Pierre,

In John 17:20 Jesus is petitioning God that the Holy Spirit come to dwell in all that believe and that will come to believe in him and not just in the Eleven. It is through the Spirit of God the both Jesus and God dwell within those that obey all of Jesus’ teaching and so in faith they receive and live by the Spirit.

terraricca
    Participant

Quote (kerwin @ Jan. 19 2011,03:24)
    Pierre,

I am not sure what you mean by saying I excluded the heart of anything God is or does, or says.

Perhaps this covers it.
    The spirit fills the heart with God’s love and also guides the thoughts of the mind with that same love.  In this way it teaches a disciple to obey all things God commands,.

Kerwin

what spirit you talking about ??

Pierre

Viewing 20 posts - 41 through 60 (of 64 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 1999 - 2024 Heaven Net

Navigation

© 1999 - 2023 - Heaven Net
or

or    

Forgot your details?

or

Create Account