Loaded questions cannot be answered yes or no

Viewing 20 posts - 121 through 140 (of 229 total)
  • Author
    rebellman
    Participant

Hi guys and gals,
    I'm kind of new to this site and so I have been trying to get a handle on some of these topics, but it seems to me that by this time most, if not all, have devolved into personal attacks, which edify no one. All you people seem so full of yourselves, that it really makes me wonder if anyone here has a clue as to what a Christian is and how one should conduct themselves!

As to the question: "is this scripture (Rom.10:9)all there is to the faith ???YES or NO." There are almost zero "yes or no" answers to any biblical doctrine. Since we are unable to discern the true condition of anyone's heart (even most of the time our own) the answer here is "only God knows." In light of Rom. 10:9, consider Matt. 7:20-23 (KJV): "20 Wherefore by their fruits ye shall know them. 21 Not every one that saith unto me, Lord, Lord, shall enter into the kingdom of heaven; but he that doeth the will of my Father which is in heaven. 22 Many will say to me in that day, Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in thy name? and in thy name have cast out devils? and in thy name done many wonderful works? 23 And then will I profess unto them, I never knew you: depart from me, ye that work iniquity." Two things interest me here: 1) verse 20, ye shall know them by their fruits (paraphased); and 2) verse 22 "Many will say to me in that day, Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in thy name? and in thy name have cast out devils? and in thy name done many wonderful works?" Aren't all these good works (fruits)? This seems a bit contradictory, don't you agree? Apparently, these people believed in the sense of Rom. 10:9, or else how could they have done these works? Yet Jesus says that he never knew them and that they were workers of iniquity. Isn't this a pretty clear statement that we don't even know where we stand? It's ridiculously easy to fall into the trap of false self importance (pride and vanity). One should not be too quick to promote themselves simply because they think their knowledge on a particular subject has come directly from the Holy Spirit. One person claims to be a discerner of spirits and so anyone who disagrees with his understanding, interpretation, etc., etc., is not being lead of the Holy Spirit. I know in my heart that I have diligently sought the truth from scripture, I asked God for understanding and wisdom and the indwelling of the Holy Spirit so that I could understand the Word (1 Cor 2:10-16), I prayed and fasted and meditated for hours and years upon the Word of God, yet I frequently find myself in opposition to others who claim (and I have no reason to doubt them) that they too have done these things to arrive at the "truth" they have come to. Yet, they and I remain in disagreement. Therefore, in light of 1 Cor. 1:10-15, one (or more likely both) of us must be in error. So, for one, or both, of us to claim the authority on the matter is counter-productive, because according to Matt. 7:22,23, we are incapable of clearly discerning even our own hearts and therefore any profession that we have some direct pipeline to the truth, is merely vanity.

Would it not be better for us to accept that we are probably both in error and work together from that perspective to truly come to a sure knowledge of the truth?!? What good can possibly come from continuing to arguing from the vain position that we are somehow especially connected to the truth? We should learn from Acts 15:1-21. It is not necessarily good enough that we believe and seek the truth, or else why did Paul and Barnabas have to bring the subject of circumcision to the attention of the church in Jerusalem and debate the matter. Wasn't Peter, the Apostle who first realized that gentiles should be included in the church, who must have had the Holy Spirit working in him, a part of the Jerusalem church? Why didn't he jump to agree with Paul and Barnabas? If we seek to justify ourselves based on our assumption that because we have the Holy Spirit, we are therefore infalible, and must have the truth of a matter, we are merely falling into vanity and thereby grieving the Holy Spirit within us and so cannot know the truth of that matter, as the "truth is spiritually discerned" and with the Holy Spirit so grieved we are precluded from that discernment. One should be extremely careful not to think of themselves more highly than they ought, for at that moment we are separated from the leading of the Spirit.

Ed J
    Participant

Hi Rebellman,

I'm glad you also realize that some questions cannot
    be answered simply with a “Yes” or a “No” answer.

Then you agree that we should seek agreement,
    which is the very reason for starting this thread?

God bless
    Ed J (Joshua 22:34)
    http://www.holycitybiblecode.org

seekingtruth
    Participant

Rebellman,
    Welcome to HN. Good post, we all need correction from time to time. I believe in seeking for truth but without love for God and one another, we search in vain. Hope you stick around.

Wm

terraricca
    Participant

Quote (Ed J @ Oct. 21 2011,22:53)

Quote (terraricca @ Oct. 21 2011,15:32)
    you ask me if I believe if you are a true Christian ??? right, to tell the truth I do not know,

Hi PR,

Then you do not have the gift of discerning of spirits. (see 1Cor.12:10)

God bless

edj

are in this assuming words of yours that you have the holy spirit ???

terraricca
    Participant

rebellman

Would it not be better for us to accept that we are probably both in error and work together from that perspective to truly come to a sure knowledge of the truth?!?

how is this accomplished ???

mikeboll64
    Blocked

Quote (rebellman @ Oct. 21 2011,02:23)
    Hi guys and gals,
    I'm kind of new to this site and so I have been trying to get a handle on some of these topics, but it seems to me that by this time most, if not all, have devolved into personal attacks, which edify no one. All you people seem so full of yourselves, that it really makes me wonder if anyone here has a clue as to what a Christian is and how one should conduct themselves!

Hmmmm…………..  That's quite an odd judgment on others from someone who just posted this to Pierre in the "Incarnation" thread:

What language do you actually speak, that is what is your first language, because it certainly is not English as it is painfully clear that you do not understand English even a little bit or else you would say such completely assinine things.  Please take the sage's advice and shut up, for it is better to be quite and seem a fool, than to speak and prove it!

There are almost zero "yes or no" answers to any biblical doctrine.

Perhaps then you'll be the first one to show us all PROOF of this statement.  Because Ed and Wm keep claiming what you claim, but neither of them have been able to yet produce an instance that SUPPORTS this claim.

So, here's your chance Rebel:  Ask me a "YES or NO" scriptural question that you think I can't possibly answer with a YES or a NO.

mike

terraricca
    Participant

Quote (mikeboll64 @ Oct. 24 2011,10:26)

Quote (rebellman @ Oct. 21 2011,02:23)
    Hi guys and gals,

Hmmmm…………..  That's quite an odd judgment on others from someone who just posted this to Pierre in the "Incarnation" thread:

What language do you actually speak, that is what is your first language, because it certainly is not English as it is painfully clear that you do not understand English even a little bit or else you would say such completely assinine things.  Please take the sage's advice and shut up, for it is better to be quite and seem a fool, than to speak and prove it!

There are almost zero "yes or no" answers to any biblical doctrine.

Perhaps then you'll be the first one to show us all PROOF of this statement.  Because Ed and Wm keep claiming what you claim, but neither of them have been able to yet produce an instance that SUPPORTS this claim.

So, here's your chance Rebel:  Ask me a "YES or NO" scriptural question that you think I can't possibly answer with a YES or a NO.

mike

Mike

is this not sound like istari approach ????

Pierre

mikeboll64
    Blocked

Funny, I thought the same thing when I started reading his posts. :)

Ed J
    Participant

Quote (terraricca @ Oct. 22 2011,00:55)

you ask me if I believe if you are a true Christian ??? right, to tell the truth I do not know,

Hi PR,

God bless

edj

:)

terraricca
    Participant

Quote (Ed J @ Oct. 25 2011,17:12)

Quote (terraricca @ Oct. 22 2011,00:55)

Hi PR,

God bless

edj

:)

edj

I may not be able trough the internet to see if you are a true Christian but I sure can tell trough your responding mail and comments you make that you DO NOT have the holy spirit ,you may be on your way there but not have it yet ,

the holy spirit is the will of God and unless it is believe in,known to you ,and practice it ,you never will have it .

Pierre

ftk
    Participant

If there is ever anyone that is truly "Christ-like" on this planet we will hear!! To me the term…''Christian''…is liberally used with little foundation.

By the way if there a "true" Christian there must be an "untrue Christian"! A Christian is supposed to be ''Christ-like'' which would be full of the "truth" from God! I've heard there are "good" Christians but I don't hear much about "bad" Christians. Could there even be a "bad" Christian?

Lets move on to things like where is the power of God working? Where is the healing of the nations that Jesus started and passed to his disciples and then to us or "whosoever" would believe. There will be no questions of, does he have the Holy Spirit or has be been baptized in spirit the evidence will be in the power works of God now just as it was in the days of Jesus!! IMO, TK

Ed J
    Participant

Hi Tim,

A Christian means "Follower of Christ".
    Why do you want to re-define words?
    Is your truth in jeopardy if you don't?

Besides, why are you posting that stuff in this thread anyway?
    Do you have anything to say regarding the actual topic of this thread?
    This thread is about: Why posing yes/no questions don't lead to agreements.

God bless

terraricca
    Participant

Quote (Ed J @ Nov. 19 2011,06:38)
    Hi Tim,

A Christian means "Follower of Christ".
    Why do you want to re-define words?
    Is your truth in jeopardy if you don't?

Besides, why are you posting that stuff in this thread anyway?
    Do you have anything to say regarding the actual topic of this thread?
    This thread is about: Why posing yes/no questions don't lead to agreements.

God bless

Edj

Tk.is right ,you try to watered it down so much that any one can be called Christian,

Look what we see in church today pedophyles ,drunks,thieves,many hypocrites and what not,

This is not following Christ it would be more following the world of religion,

pierre

seekingtruth
    Participant

Ed,
    Sorry for remaining off topic but I just want to respond to being called "christian", many call themselves christian but their actions show otherwise, they do not follow Christ, they only lay claim to the rewards of those who do.

My opinion – wm

Ed J
    Participant

Quote (seekingtruth @ Nov. 23 2011,00:50)
    Ed,
    Sorry for remaining off topic but I just want to respond to being called "christian", many call themselves christian but their actions show otherwise, they do not follow Christ, they only lay claim to the rewards of those who do.

My opinion – wm

Hi Wm,

By this shall all know that ye are my disciples, if ye have love one to another. (John 13:35)

God bless

mikeboll64
    Blocked

The first spoken words really hit home for me.

Ed J
    Participant

Hi Mike,

Here is yet another example of one of your loaded questions.

Quote (mikeboll64 @ Nov. 24 2011,10:14)
    Ed, WHO did John come to testify about?  Jesus?  Or the Holy Spirit?

“John testified about both, remember he had the HolySpirit with him in the womb.”

…is the answer I gave you in another thread,
    which you will obviously find unsatisfactory.
    This will provide more dialog for us here.

God bless

mikeboll64
    Blocked

Ed,

If you can easily answer “BOTH”, then why is it a “loaded question”? ???

Your answer was “BOTH”, and I will tweak my question in the other thread to eliminate your wiggle room.

To Gene, Kerwin, Paladin, Marty, and Frank:

The thread to which Ed and I refer is the “Pre-existent Part 2” thread. Please join us there to see undeniable proof that the Word in John 1:1 was Jesus.

Ed J
    Participant

Quote (mikeboll64 @ Jan. 15 2012,03:30)

Quote (Ed J @ Jan. 15 2012,02:32)

Quote (mikeboll64 @ Jan. 15 2012,01:57)
    Are you saying that I post hard to understand, run-on sentences?

Hi Mike,

I was referring to that long sentence Pierre wrote.
    You usually break up the individual ideas better,
    because English is your native tongue.

I did PM you, once though, about
    one particular sentence; remember?

But you do try to tie ideas together,
    in some questions that I believe don't belong together,
    in an attempt to trap others into inadvertently agreeing to certain doctrine.
    I did start a thread on that premise you know; remember? (Here is the link to that thread)

God bless
    Ed J

I remember the thread.  I also remember that no one came up with a “loaded” question I had ever asked, nor one of my YES/NO questions that couldn't have been answered with a “Yes” or a “No”.

Hi Mike,

The point is: if certain questions are answered with a no,
    without an explanation as to why, you might not know
    what part of the question is not being agreeing to.

Plus if these types of questions are answered with a NO,
    AND give an explanation, the explanation might not
    end up in the next quote; being 'clipped' out.
    This is the danger of yes or no answers.

I'm careful not to give information
    that can be used against me.

God bless

mikeboll64
    Blocked

Quote (Ed J @ Jan. 14 2012,11:13)
    Hi Mike,

The point is: if certain questions are answered with a no,
    without an explanation as to why………….

I have never added a stipulation to my YES or NO questions that one couldn't offer an explanation.

Quote (Ed J @ Jan. 14 2012,11:13)
    I'm careful not to give information
    that can be used against me.

Ed, if you speak nothing but scriptural truth, then your words will NEVER be able to be “used against you”.

Viewing 20 posts - 121 through 140 (of 229 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 1999 - 2024 Heaven Net

Navigation

© 1999 - 2023 - Heaven Net
or

or    

Forgot your details?

or

Create Account