Jesus said

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 20 posts - 41 through 60 (of 95 total)
  • Author
    Wispring
    Participant

Thanks Karmarie. It was and spirit with a sense of humor that led me to add the trail-mix part lol. the picture of that happening still makes me chuckle. Hey Jesus,behold, sunflower seeds here, would like some?
    Hey Mike and Pierre your valuable contribution to the Matthew 4:1-11 portion of this thread would be appreciated.
    Baker, Irene, lightenup, and anyone else who posts on this web-site. Feel very free to express your understanding of these verses of scripture.:)

With Love and Respect,
    Wispring

mikeboll64
    Blocked

That's a pretty tall order, Wispring.  There are so many things to discuss.  Let's start with 4:1,

Then Jesus was led by the Spirit into the wilderness to be tempted by the devil.

I've never noticed this before, but it seems the Holy Spirit led Jesus into the wilderness for the very specific reason of having him be tempted by the devil.  And he was tempted by the same tempter of Adam and Eve.  The first Adam failed this test.  Was this temptation for our benefit, to show that the last Adam, when tempted by the very same tempter, would do right by God?  Or was this a necessary test for God Himself to find out for sure that He had sent the right man for the job?  He had been failed by those of flesh many times before.  Even His great servant Moses messed up.

mike

Wispring
    Participant

Hi Mike,
      I am quoting from the opening post of this thread.

I started this thread with the hope, that by discussing these things we could build community through revelatory discourse. “What does this mean to me?” and sharing these thoughts to come to mutual understandings of one anothers “points of view” thereby informing each of us that different understandings don't have to create discord. They can with God's love as our guide create harmony.

You ask questions in your post that you need to answer in order to share your understanding.

With Love and Respect,
                                               Wispring

mikeboll64
    Blocked

Hi Wispring,

I've listed my understanding that I'm not sure which way to look at it. :) Perhaps someone else has scripture or insight that will point me in the right direction.

mike

Wispring
    Participant

Hi Mike,

The only insight I can suggest is to try thinking about the scripture presented as picture of an episode or event in Jesus Christ's life. How you might try looking at it, is in relation to your own personal relationship with Jesus, God, the scripture, and your fellow man. Hope this helps.

With Love and Respect,
                                                           Wispring

Baker
    Participant

Jesus was tempted in every way… To understand hunger, you have to experience hunger. We as children after the war in Germany, have experienced that. Then for Jesus still be obedient to God His Father, is outstanding. Satan knew that. The love that Jesus has for His Father, that even when He was hungry, He did not falter….I wonder if I we could be that strong, to do what Jesus did and say…..I also believe that is why Almighty God said, He would not test us, if we didn't have a way out…..God loves us that much….
    Peace and Love Irene

Wispring
    Participant

Hi All,

This a re-request for anyone who has not yet posted:

Hi Everyone,
     The title of this thread is “Jesus said”. The purpose and scope of this thread is to discuss scripture that soley dilineates what Jesus said. The body of this thread wil be to discuss the things Jesus said and how they directly effect your life and do postive works within your life. I started this thread with the hope, that by discussing these things we could build community through revelatory discourse. “What does this mean to me?” and sharing these thoughts to come to mutual understandings of one anothers “points of view” thereby informing each of us that different understandings don't have to create discord. They can with God's love as our guide create harmony. I would like to do this within a logical framework of starting Matthew 3:15 and progressing forward from there. It would be wonderful if you say what it means to you in your heart. You can cite sources outside yourself that you are in agreement with. If you choose to cite outside sources to illuminate your understanding please give a “link” in your post so others can check it out for themselves. It would probably be best if we do not get into side discussions involving the veracity of outside sources. Just let it be said “This source reflects the view I hold dear in my heart” or some such sentiment. There will be disagreements, this is human nature. Use the disagreements to spawn another thread. Debating interpretations is not the purpose of this thread. Presenting interpretations is; in order to foster understanding. Please refrain from integrating the Trin/Non-Trin, pre-existance or the body of other threads if you can. If by divine or non-divine incidence everyone agrees to a certain segment of scriptures give glory to God, then, lets move forward.OK? I would like to use the KJV and Young's Literal Translation versions of the bible. I feel that KJV is used by most and the YLT is, well..most literal. If you decide to show your understanding based on another version and if that interpretation is in strong discord with KJV and/or YLT that in itself is cause for another thread. This is my initial concept and approach to this thread. If you feel I should amend or append anything herein, please post it, as I want this to an honest and fair framework of community interaction.

With Love and Respect,
                                                    Wispring

The current portion of scripture is:

This for a reference to be used by anyone in this thread:
    ===================================================================

Matthew 4:1-11 (King James Version)

Matthew 4
    1Then was Jesus led up of the Spirit into the wilderness to be tempted of the devil.

2And when he had fasted forty days and forty nights, he was afterward an hungred.

3And when the tempter came to him, he said, If thou be the Son of God, command that these stones be made bread.

4But he answered and said, It is written, Man shall not live by bread alone, but by every word that proceedeth out of the mouth of God.

5Then the devil taketh him up into the holy city, and setteth him on a pinnacle of the temple,

6And saith unto him, If thou be the Son of God, cast thyself down: for it is written, He shall give his angels charge concerning thee: and in their hands they shall bear thee up, lest at any time thou dash thy foot against a stone.

7Jesus said unto him, It is written again, Thou shalt not tempt the Lord thy God.

8Again, the devil taketh him up into an exceeding high mountain, and sheweth him all the kingdoms of the world, and the glory of them;

9And saith unto him, All these things will I give thee, if thou wilt fall down and worship me.

10Then saith Jesus unto him, Get thee hence, Satan: for it is written, Thou shalt worship the Lord thy God, and him only shalt thou serve.

11Then the devil leaveth him, and, behold, angels came and ministered unto him.

You can use this post to copy/paste from to talk about all of it at once or just certain parts where Jesus said something and what that means to you and how you understand it. I will reiterate here, It would be wonderful if you did so in your own words.

With Love and Respect,
                                                                Wispring

Tim Kraft
    Participant

wispring: Bless you, there is something I would like to hear opinions on, that Jesus clearly said but nobody quotes yet it is so powerful it would change doctrines through out the world!

Many people look for Jesus to return to the earth in a physical body as he was before. I do not agree. I believe he left so that he could allow the masses to go to the spirit of God for their personal truth. As long as he was here the people leaned on him for everything. I believe he returned or is now manifested in the spirit words of God. He can now be here in every physical body and not just one!!

Also one must ask, if Jesus comes back to Jerusalem how will the prince of peace and the administrator of love and joy to the world, take control and rule the physical world?

Here, finally is my scripture: Luke16:16…Jesus said the Law and the prophets were UNTIL John the Baptist, since then, the Kingdom of God is preached…! Matt.11:13…The Prophets and the Law were until John….! Luke24:24…All things written in the Law, the prophets and the Psalms were fulfilled in Christ….Matt.3:2…time is fulfilled, the Kingdom of God is at hand….Mark1:15…the Kingdom of God is here…!

Do these scriptures not say that the old testament law and brick and mortar temple worship, were fulfilled to completion and the new way of spirit words of God through Jesus would build the Kingdom of God within each person who would accept and believe?

Was that not the end of the (old) world? Didn't Jesus establish the new way to God by faith? What would Jesus do today if he came back. He clearly said his work for God is finished. TK

seekingtruth
    Participant

Wispring,
    Matthew 4:1-11
    I believe it was an intensive time of testing giving satan the advantages, yet left Jesus able to declare “he has nothing in Me”. It also illustrates the value of knowing the “whole of scriptures” to overcome temptation otherwise the flesh will always find a way to reason away our resistance, even taking select scriptures out of context.

My opinion – Wm

Wispring
    Participant

Hi Tim,
      Thank for an overview of your revelation. Your understanding of the scripture now in view is.
    Hi seekingtruth,
      Thank you very much for your input to the thread.

With Love and Respect,
                                                             Wispring

princess
    Participant

Mat 10:26 “So never be afraid of them, because there is nothing hidden that will not be revealed, and nothing secret that will not be made known.

I take this one as looking for your glasses, then finally realizing they are on top of your head. searching, needing, looking, then the light bulb goes off.

Tim Kraft
    Participant

Quote (Wispring @ April 07 2011,19:57)
    Hi All,

This a re-request for anyone who has not yet posted:

Hi Everyone,
     The title of this thread is “Jesus said”. The purpose and scope of this thread is to discuss scripture that soley dilineates what Jesus said. The body of this thread wil be to discuss the things Jesus said and how they directly effect your life and do postive works within your life. I started this thread with the hope, that by discussing these things we could build community through revelatory discourse. “What does this mean to me?” and sharing these thoughts to come to mutual understandings of one anothers “points of view” thereby informing each of us that different understandings don't have to create discord. They can with God's love as our guide create harmony. I would like to do this within a logical framework of starting Matthew 3:15 and progressing forward from there. It would be wonderful if you say what it means to you in your heart. You can cite sources outside yourself that you are in agreement with. If you choose to cite outside sources to illuminate your understanding please give a “link” in your post so others can check it out for themselves. It would probably be best if we do not get into side discussions involving the veracity of outside sources. Just let it be said “This source reflects the view I hold dear in my heart” or some such sentiment. There will be disagreements, this is human nature. Use the disagreements to spawn another thread. Debating interpretations is not the purpose of this thread. Presenting interpretations is; in order to foster understanding. Please refrain from integrating the Trin/Non-Trin, pre-existance or the body of other threads if you can. If by divine or non-divine incidence everyone agrees to a certain segment of scriptures give glory to God, then, lets move forward.OK? I would like to use the KJV and Young's Literal Translation versions of the bible. I feel that KJV is used by most and the YLT is, well..most literal. If you decide to show your understanding based on another version and if that interpretation is in strong discord with KJV and/or YLT that in itself is cause for another thread. This is my initial concept and approach to this thread. If you feel I should amend or append anything herein, please post it, as I want this to an honest and fair framework of community interaction.

With Love and Respect,
                                                    Wispring

The current portion of scripture is:

This for a reference to be used by anyone in this thread:

Matthew 4:1-11 (King James Version)

Matthew 4
    1Then was Jesus led up of the Spirit into the wilderness to be tempted of the devil.

2And when he had fasted forty days and forty nights, he was afterward an hungred.

3And when the tempter came to him, he said, If thou be the Son of God, command that these stones be made bread.

4But he answered and said, It is written, Man shall not live by bread alone, but by every word that proceedeth out of the mouth of God.

5Then the devil taketh him up into the holy city, and setteth him on a pinnacle of the temple,

6And saith unto him, If thou be the Son of God, cast thyself down: for it is written, He shall give his angels charge concerning thee: and in their hands they shall bear thee up, lest at any time thou dash thy foot against a stone.

7Jesus said unto him, It is written again, Thou shalt not tempt the Lord thy God.

8Again, the devil taketh him up into an exceeding high mountain, and sheweth him all the kingdoms of the world, and the glory of them;

9And saith unto him, All these things will I give thee, if thou wilt fall down and worship me.

10Then saith Jesus unto him, Get thee hence, Satan: for it is written, Thou shalt worship the Lord thy God, and him only shalt thou serve.

11Then the devil leaveth him, and, behold, angels came and ministered unto him.

You can use this post to copy/paste from to talk about all of it at once or just certain parts where Jesus said something and what that means to you and how you understand it. I will reiterate here, It would be wonderful if you did so in your own words.

With Love and Respect,
                                                                Wispring

wispring: Sorry I was off-track. Here is a thought.

It seems to me that the temptation that was presented in the mind of Jesus was, “if thou be the Son of God”…command these stones be made bread.
    Then later again, “If thou be the Son of God”….cast thyself down: for it is written….!

The test in my opinion was, do you believe you are the Son of God and thereby prove it. The very act to prove it would deny his faith.

Jesus made it clear that man can live by the words of God given, fully trusting with his very life. We are the son's of God! There is no need to test if you know!

Its like the little game of “Trust Me” we play where one person stands in front of the other and “trusts” the person behind to catch them when they fall backward. Faith in Gods words is a trust so pure that one is willing to be hurt or die, when the need arises, to fully trust in their salvation. IMO, TK

Wispring
    Participant

Hi Tim,
    Thanks for your input to the thread.
    Hi princess,
    Please read the contents of the post just above this post to gain some insight to exactly what is going on with respect to the progression of this thread. While I do appreciate you sharing your understanding of Mat 10:6 we are currently on Mat 4:1-11. I thought it would be a good idea to do something like this so visitors to this board could get some insight into the understandings of the people who frequent this board and present the information in a logical modular structure.

With Love and Respect,
    Wispring

kerwin
    Participant

To all,

Luke 5:16 (King James Version)
    16And he withdrew himself into the wilderness, and prayed.

Mark 1:35 (King James Version)
    35And in the morning, rising up a great while before day, he went out, and departed into a solitary place, and there prayed.

Matthew 6:6 (King James Version)
    6But thou, when thou prayest, enter into thy closet, and when thou hast shut thy door, pray to thy Father which is in secret; and thy Father which seeth in secret shall reward thee openly.

Luke 4:13 (King James Version)
    13And when the devil had ended all the temptation, he departed from him for a season.

Jesus went out to the wilderness as is his custom to get closer to God, which is also why he fasted. The devil saw that it would be a situation that made him more vulnerable to temptation. God acting through his Spirit directed Jesus’ action knowing that Satan would take advantage of the situation. When Jesus resisted the Devil’s schemes Satan ran away until another opportune time presented itself.

Wispring
    Participant

Hi Everyone,

Thank your for your input to this thread! Instead of trying to sum things up I will just let the posts stand as they are and let the reader make thier own summations.

With Love and Respect,
                                                             Wispring

Wispring
    Participant

Hi Everyone,

Our next section of scripture to use to share our understandings is Matthew 4:12-17.

Matthew 4:12-17 (King James Version)

12Now when Jesus had heard that John was cast into prison, he departed into Galilee;

13And leaving Nazareth, he came and dwelt in Capernaum, which is upon the sea coast, in the borders of Zabulon and Nephthalim:

14That it might be fulfilled which was spoken by Esaias the prophet, saying,

15The land of Zabulon, and the land of Nephthalim, by the way of the sea, beyond Jordan, Galilee of the Gentiles;

16The people which sat in darkness saw great light; and to them which sat in the region and shadow of death light is sprung up.

17From that time Jesus began to preach, and to say, Repent: for the kingdom of heaven is at hand.

It would be great if people would share thier understandings based on thier relationship with Jesus, God, and the scriptures.

With Love and Respect,
                                         Wispring

Baker
    Participant

Wispring!  When Jesus realized it was time for Him to preach the Gospels He started speaking of the Kingdom, were He will be King of Kings and Lord of Lords in.  Scriptures say  we should worship in Spirit and in Truth.  When Jesus died and ascended back to Heaven, He is seated at the right hand of Almighty God.  The Kingdom is now spiritual, when Jesus return's as King of Kings and Lord of lords, He will marry His bride the Church.  
    From that time Jesus began to preach, and to say, Repent: for the kingdom of heaven is at hand.  

I believe He said that, because we are the Church, not a building.  So repent and be baptized, so you can be part of the Kingdom of God…We now are being tested, if we will qualify to be part of the Kingdom when Jesus returns.  Many are called, but few are chosen…..I also believe that those Christians in the first three centuries, have already qualified, they died for Christ.  There is a Song on Praise God with Song, that thehappyman put up, it says ” to be the doorman of the Kingdom.

Peace and Love Irene

Wispring
    Participant

Hi Irene,

Thank you for responding to this thread!

With Love and Respect,
                      Wispring

kerwin
    Participant

To all,

Jesus, the embodied Spirit of Christ, began his ministry in Galilee.   He like his predacessors called for each and every person to change and do all that is right or perish.  He preached a message of the comming new covenant but that is not specifically mentioned in this passage.  

His whole teaching is the light and he is the lamp that sheds the light.

Wispring
    Participant

Hi Kerwin,
      Thank you for your post. I have been reading your posts lately and my respect for you knowledge of God and biblical scripture has deepened.
      My understanding of these words of Christ Jesus is that since John the Baptizer was prophet of God heralding the coming of Christ Jesus; this is his way of dovetailing that event with the beginning of his mission. Jesus was fully aware of the ungodliness of many of the people he would be talking to and he wanted to let them know the first step to getting back in God's good graces was acknowledging one's sins and petitioning God for mercy, guidance, and correction.

With Love and Respect,
                                                     Wispring

Viewing 20 posts - 41 through 60 (of 95 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 1999 - 2024 Heaven Net

Navigation

© 1999 - 2023 - Heaven Net
or

or    

Forgot your details?

or

Create Account