Jesus' Desert Temptation – natural or spiritual

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 21 total)
  • Author
    Artizan007
    Participant

Was Jesus temptation in the flesh or in the spirit?

I have been looking at the gospel accounts of Jesus' temptation in the wilderness and was just wondering if the whole saga was done in the spirit or in the flesh, ie: was he actually was asked to turn real stones into bread whilst standing in the desert, or did he actually go up a high mountain (in the flesh) to see the “kingdoms of the world” and actually climbed to the pinnacle of the temple (in the flesh) and told to jump off. It seems rather bizarre that he would have been able to get access into the temple, in order climb to the pinnacle so that this temptation could take place.

The Scripture says or certainly implies that Satan took him and set him on the pinnacle. Matt 4:5 (I see this as being done in the spirit realm, he took and set him on top of the pinnacle)

Also it states that when he was on the high mountain, Jesus was shown all the kingdoms of the world “in an instant”, “in a moment of time”… Luke 4:5 that sounds like “in the spirit” unvailing rather than with the “natural eye” – for he could not have seen all the kingdoms of the world.

At the end of the temptation, it seems like he is still in the wilderness, being attended by angels, before he returned to Galillee in the power of the Spirit. Did he even leave the desert or was it all a spiritual temptation.

The order is different in the accounts which I guess does not matter in the grand scheme of things. Any clues why the authors would change the order of the temptations. Three simple events, how hard could it be to get the orders right because each account goes though a journey and both journey are not consistant.

What are others thoughts on this?

NickHassan
    Participant

Hi,
    Jesus does not say how it happened. Some of the accounts of the life of Jesus are firsthand ones from eyewitnesses but there is no evidence that Jesus was with anyone on this occasion. Accounts that come through several hands are still true but may vary more in detail.

NickHassan
    Participant

Hi,
    Some say that Jesus was tempted and that proves he was God.
    That is nonsense because if Jesus was to throw himself off the temple then it would be God who was being tempted to make true what scripture has written about how He would protect his Son.
    That is why Jesus told Satan not to tempt God.
    Lk 4.12
    “12And Jesus answered and said to him, “It is said, '(H)YOU SHALL NOT PUT THE LORD YOUR GOD TO THE TEST.'”

NickHassan
    Participant

Hi,
    Satan made som pretty powerful statements about his ability to disperse worldly power as he wished to those who worship him and Jesus did not argue with him.
    It does make you wonder.
    Lk 4.5f
    “5(A)And he led Him up and showed Him all the kingdoms of (B)the world in a moment of time.

6And the devil said to Him, “I will give You all this domain and its glory; Âfor it has been handed over to me, and I give it to whomever I wish.

7″Therefore if You worship before me, it shall all be Yours.”

8Jesus answered him, “It is written, '(D)YOU SHALL WORSHIP THE LORD YOUR GOD AND SERVE HIM ONLY.'”

NickHassan
    Participant

Hi ,
    After 40 days fasting it would be hard to know what was spiritual and what was natural. But if the last test on Jesus was on the pinnacle of the temple and there is no record of him having to climb down I would guess it was spiritual.

wind_slasher52
    Participant

if you will read the whole chapter of that saga in the bible, you will find out that Jesus was to be tempted, he was brought to the mountain to be tempted and tried, during this time Jesus is able to fall when jesus is tempted, the spirit of God was not with himanf the flesh alone is the only thing that struggles against the devil, here God wants us to show that even we are still in the flesh, we can resist temptation.
    another reason is, before the lamb of God must be offered, he ust be put to test in order to see if he isable to bear the sins of the world and inherrit the kingdom and power of God.he was the perfect sacrifice and nothing more.

actually, the devil doesnt want to tempt JesusChrist, but its God's will that Jesus christ must be tempted, the devil is just playing his role as an examiner of Jesus christ.
    the same test that the first adam is the test that Jesus took.
    the first adam fall, failed while the second adam, jesus christ the firstborn of all creature pass and defeated the enemy :)

NickHassan
    Participant

Good points Ta.

Artizan007
    Participant

WS-52, thanks for your reply, I can see that Jesus was led by the Spirit to be tempted of the Devil. It was planned, the accuser did his best to destroy Jesus, the Son of God, but failed dismally.

Not too sure I agree that Satan did not want to tempt Jesus as I believe he wants to thwart anything Godly or that is part of God's plan. To say that he does not tempt without God's involvement, for me places this whole temptation on God and I am not to sure how James would handle it when we read his account as he speaks about God and temptation. However I do agree that satan was instrumental in proving how Christ would respond when tempted, as he was with the first Adam. Praise God Jesus did not do as the First Adam, and eat food he was not commanded to partake of. The first Adam fell at the first hurdle (food), the Second Adam passed the food test and all subsequent tests and the accuser had to walk away till another opportune time.

WS-52, I do see and agree with your point about the second Adam passing the test and for Jesus as the perfect lamb to be tested to see if he was counted worthy to bare the sin of the world – I also like what you said about overcoming in the flesh. Jesus' overcoming points the way for us, showing it is possible for us to overcome temptation by knowing the word and being empowerd by the Spirit of God as Jesus was at this Baptism.

Where does it say the Spirit of God left him?

WS-52, So do you think it was natural temptation or spiritual temptation?

NickHassan
    Participant

Hi A7,
    The Spirit is a gift from God [Lk 11]and never left Jesus
    or leaves us
    for eternity. that is the good news about salvation-eternal life through the Spirit of Christ
    in us
    in him
    in God.

Rom11.29
    “29for the gifts and the (AV)calling of God (AW)are irrevocable.”

Artizan007
    Participant

Hey Nick,

Thanks for your reply. A friend of mine told me he had a heightened awareness of spiritual things as well as natural when he was on his 21 day water and juice only fast. I am not too sure I sit well with knowing that Jesus could not tell if it was in the spirit or the natural. I am sure Jesus would have been compus mentus (however it is spelled) to know what he was facing. So I think he must have known. We know he was week because Angels attended to him.

I liked what you said ie: “Satan made some pretty powerful statements about his ability to disperse worldly power as he wished to those who worship him and Jesus did not argue with him. – It does make you wonder.” – yes it does and has done many times… Jesus would have read Psalm 2 and known what he had to do to have the nations as his inheritance. Ask of Me and I will give the nations as your inheritance. He knew who he needed to worship to gain the kingdoms of the world and it was not satan but the Lord God, the One LORD God of Israel we see stated in Deuteronomy.

Satan knew this too but tried to use deception like he did with the first Adam and Eve. He told Jesus to worship him because after all he was the god of this world and as you say had a right to its claim.

Just checking, do you think only the temple temptation was in the spiritual… how about the mountain one where he was shown all the kingdoms of the world “in an instant”… or “moment of time”. that sounds like a vision to me.

What are your thoughts?

Artizan007
    Participant

Hey Nick

you said:
    Hi A7,
    The Spirit is a gift from God [Lk 11]and never left Jesus nor leaves us for eternity.

I agree that is why I asked how WS-52 could say the spirit of God was not with him and that Jesus was tempted of flesh only.

WS-52 said:
    Jesus is able to fall when jesus is tempted, the spirit of God was not with him and the flesh alone is the only thing that struggles against the devil, here God wants us to show that even we are still in the flesh, we can resist temptation.

I dont believe the Spirit of God left Jesus but like we are when tempted, Jesus had a choice in whom he was going to obey. Jesus was lead into the wilderness by the Spirit, after having been filled with the Spirit upon baptism… yes I am so glad he chose to obey the Father's Voice and his written word.

NickHassan
    Participant

i agree.

wind_slasher52
    Participant

Quote (Artizan007 @ Aug. 25 2006,05:27)
    WS-52, thanks for your reply, I can see that Jesus was led by the Spirit to be tempted of the Devil. It was planned, the accuser did his best to destroy Jesus, the Son of God, but failed dismally.

Not too sure I agree that Satan did not want to tempt Jesus as I believe he wants to thwart anything Godly or that is part of God's plan. To say that he does not tempt without God's involvement, for me places this whole temptation on God and I am not to sure how James would handle it when we read his account as he speaks about God and temptation. However I do agree that satan was instrumental in proving how Christ would respond when tempted, as he was with the first Adam. Praise God Jesus did not do as the First Adam, and eat food he was not commanded to partake of. The first Adam fell at the first hurdle (food), the Second Adam passed the food test and all subsequent tests and the accuser had to walk away till another opportune time.

WS-52, I do see and agree with your point about the second Adam passing the test and for Jesus as the perfect lamb to be tested to see if he was counted worthy to bare the sin of the world – I also like what you said about overcoming in the flesh. Jesus' overcoming points the way for us, showing it is possible for us to overcome temptation by knowing the word and being empowerd by the Spirit of God as Jesus was at this Baptism.

Where does it say the Spirit of God left him?

WS-52, So do you think it was natural temptation or spiritual temptation?

thanks for the complement :D

well, actually,when Jesus was been tempted on the temple, he was in the flesh. about your question, my answer is this that the devil doesnt want to talk nor see Jesus, remember the demons that was been transfered to the pigs? when they saw jesus they were afraid and scared, they thought their time has come, but when Jesus commandeth them to leave, they immediately transferred to the pigs, it only shows that they dont want to have communication nor with Jesus because they know that he's the only ONE TRUE GOD. the devil felt the power of their God when they rebel against God during the war in heaven.

so my conclusion here the temptation is a spiritual temptation.

the spirit of God left him and leave him as a man, during the temptation the flesh is the one who is being tried.
    let us remember that you cannot tempt God. :)

wind_slasher52
    Participant

thanks for the comments! God bless us all!:)

NickHassan
    Participant

Hi ws,
    Satan is in charge of the kingdom of darkness but he is not a lowly demon.

wind_slasher52
    Participant

Quote (Nick Hassan @ Aug. 28 2006,05:55)
    Hi ws,
    Satan is in charge of the kingdom of darkness but he is not a lowly demon.

yes i know.hehe..

but he's under the power of God, he cant do anything unless God allows him to do so. :cool:

NickHassan
    Participant

Hi ws,
    So also Jesus only said and did what his Father God showed him.
    The power of God was WITH him, God having anointed him with His Spirit.

Acts 10.34f
    ” 34And Peter having opened his mouth, said, `Of a truth, I perceive that God is no respecter of persons,

35but in every nation he who is fearing Him, and is working righteousness, is acceptable to Him;

36the word that he sent to the sons of Israel, proclaiming good news — peace through Jesus Christ (this one is Lord of all,)

37ye — ye have known; — the word that came throughout all Judea, having begun from Galilee, after the baptism that John preached;

38Jesus who [is] from Nazareth — how God did anoint him with the Holy Spirit and power; who went through, doing good, and healing all those oppressed by the devil, because God was with him;

39and we — we are witnesses of all things that he did, both in the country of the Jews, and in Jerusalem, — whom they did slay, having hanged upon a tree.

40`This one God did raise up the third day, and gave him to become manifest,

41not to all the people, but to witnesses, to those having been chosen before by God — to us who did eat with [him], and did drink with him, after his rising out of the dead;

42and he commanded us to preach to the people, and to testify fully that it is he who hath been ordained by God judge of living and dead —

43to this one do all the prophets testify, that through his name every one that is believing in him doth receive remission of sins.”

wind_slasher52
    Participant

well actually youre right, but if youre going to the book where you can read the story, it states there that Jesus was led by the spirit to the mountains to be tempted, and during this time the flesh is being tried, some say that God's spirit will never leave Jesus, well thats not right for the Lord hath saith “my spirit will not always strive with man” its in the book of genesis.:)
    it only shows that Jesus is being tempted in the form of man

in order to understand this, you must believe that Jesus is half God and Half human.:)

NickHassan
    Participant

Hi WS2,
    Did God ever strive with the One he anointed?

Proclaimer
    Participant

Quote (wind_slasher52 @ Aug. 30 2006,21:50)
    in order to understand this, you must believe that Jesus is half God and Half human.:)

Half God half human?

Hebrews 2:17
    For this reason he had to be made like his brothers in every way, in order that he might become a merciful and faithful high priest in service to God, and that he might make atonement for the sins of the people.

Are we half God half human?

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 21 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 1999 - 2024 Heaven Net

Navigation

© 1999 - 2023 - Heaven Net
or

or    

Forgot your details?

or

Create Account