Jehovah

Viewing 20 posts - 21 through 40 (of 131 total)
  • Author
    Irene
    Participant

Quote (Sevena @ Jan. 25 2008,17:00)
    I personally believe His Name to be Jehovah. It says in Psalm 83:18 Old KJV
    “and the name of the Lord is Jehovah, you alone are most Holy over all the earth”
    Or something to that effect…

Sevena

You are right, but because the translators were afraid that they might misspell the Name Jehovah the used God instead.
    But thinking that it is wrong to use one or the other, is in my understanding wrong also.
    That is what the J.W. do. One told me that I did not worship the Father because I do not say Jehovah. Well, I just call Jesus by His name and call our Almighty God, Father. That settles that.
    But I find it interesting how some one can judge me like that. We are living in the end times and I should expect more then that?
    In Christian Love Irene

david
    Participant

Hi Irene.

That is what the J.W. do. One told me that I did not worship the Father because I do not say Jehovah. Well, I just call Jesus by His name and call our Almighty God, Father. That settles that.
    But I find it interesting how some one can judge me like that.

Sorry Irene.
    It's just hard and frustrating sometimes when we come upon people who either don't even know God has a name or don't think it's important, despite the fact that his name appears more than the word “God”, “Father”, “Almighty”, “Lord”, “Creator” etc COMBINED!

The incredibly sad part is, you can ask most people what Superman's name is, and they'll say: “Clark Kent.”

And he's a fictitious character.

But ask them what God's name is and they say: “God.” Or “Jesus” or they'll look at you with a confused look on their face.

Call him Yahweh if you prefer. But, in my opinion, the fact that God inspired his name to be in the Bible some 7000 times, more times than the all other descriptions of him combined, tells me something.

Names are important in the Bible. God would often change a person's name when they were used in some special way in his purpose: Jacob to Israel, Abram to Abraham, etc.
    Names have a significance.

The other thing is, if you're someone's friend, if you consider yourself close to them, you're going to know their name, and use it. Names are and should be the first thing we learn about someone.

“One told me that I did not worship the Father because I do not say Jehovah.”
    If you told me that you were friends with Not3in1, but didn't know or use her name, I'd have trouble believing you.

Some scriptures: “They will have to know that I am Jehovah”. (Ezekiel.)

MICAH 4:5
    “For all the peoples, for their part, will walk each one in the name of its god; but we, for our part, shall walk in the name of Jehovah our God to time indefinite, even forever.”

MALACHI 3:16
    “….And a book of remembrance began to be written up before him for those in fear of Jehovah and for those thinking upon his name.”

Quoting Joel 2:32, Paul declares: “Everyone who calls on the name of Jehovah will be saved.” (Romans 10:13)

Irene
    Participant

Quote (david @ June 26 2008,12:27)
    Hi Irene.

But I find it interesting how some one can judge me like that.

Sorry Irene.
    It's just hard and frustrating sometimes when we come upon people who either don't even know God has a name or don't think it's important, despite the fact that his name appears more than the word “God”, “Father”, “Almighty”, “Lord”, “Creator” etc COMBINED!

The incredibly sad part is, you can ask most people what Superman's name is, and they'll say: “Clark Kent.”

And he's a fictitious character.

But ask them what God's name is and they say: “God.”  Or “Jesus” or they'll look at you with a confused look on their face.  

Call him Yahweh if you prefer.  But, in my opinion, the fact that God inspired his name to be in the Bible some 7000 times, more times than the all other descriptions of him combined, tells me something.  

Names are important in the Bible.  God would often change a person's name when they were used in some special way in his purpose: Jacob to Israel, Abram to Abraham, etc.
    Names have a significance.  

The other thing is, if you're someone's friend, if you consider yourself close to them, you're going to know their name, and use it.  Names are and should be the first thing we learn about someone.

“One told me that I did not worship the Father because I do not say Jehovah.”
    If you told me that you were friends with Not3in1, but didn't know or use her name, I'd have trouble believing you.

Some scriptures: “They will have to know that I am Jehovah”. (Ezekiel.)

MICAH 4:5
    “For all the peoples, for their part, will walk each one in the name of its god; but we, for our part, shall walk in the name of Jehovah our God to time indefinite, even forever.”

MALACHI 3:16
    “….And a book of remembrance began to be written up before him for those in fear of Jehovah and for those thinking upon his name.”

Quoting Joel 2:32, Paul declares: “Everyone who calls on the name of Jehovah will be saved.” (Romans 10:13)

Rather expected that you would say something to that account. But did I say it was wrong to use God's name Jehovah? No I did not. If you and all J.W. want to use His name that is your business. What I find wrong is if you judge me if I don't. I rather call Him my Father. The Almighty God. I said before in the preexisting tread that God is a tittle. Jesus too called Him my Father. We are His children so why should we not call Him our Father.
    End of story.
    In Christian Love Irene

seekingtruth
    Participant

I agree with Irene that God is a title.

Romans 8:15 For you did not receive a spirit that makes you a slave again to fear, but you received the Spirit of sonship. And by him we cry, “Abba, Father.”

Many define Abba as Dad or even Daddy, Papa, etc. some argue this is irreverent. When the heart cries out the endearing factor of Abba come out much as it does with our earthly fathers. I personally believe that restricting yourself to calling the father by His name is like calling your earthly father by his name (something I never did unless talking to someone who did not know us) the idea to saying an endearing form of father (same as used by Jesus) is irreverent, in my opinion adds a barrier between us and the Father.

I have no problem using Jehovah when disussing our God with unbelievers as many believe in “god” and that identifies the Almighty but in my prayers it's Father.

IMO as a little child – Wm

Proclaimer
    Participant

Thanks seekingtruth.

I agree.

:)

Not3in1
    Participant

Good points, David.

I also like the point that Irene made about the fact that Jesus called the Almighty his “Father”. He didn't use his proper name did he? Jesus is our example, right? Perhaps it's not as big of a deal as you have been taught? If it was, Jesus would have told us to pray like this, “Jehovah, hollowed be thy name….” Just thinking out loud here….

david
    Participant

What I find wrong is if you judge me if I don't. I rather call Him my Father. The Almighty God. I said before in the preexisting tread that God is a tittle. Jesus too called Him my Father.

Hi Irene.
    Yes, Jesus certainly did call him Father, and rightly so. He is his Father. And Jesus is his Son, so we could just call Jesus “Son” if we wanted. But why don't we?

When we're close to someone, we use their name.

Jesus often said things like: “I have made your name known to them and will make it known,” and in his model prayer, what did he put before all else? “Let your name be sanctified.”
    Sure, it is really talking about all his name stands for and who he is, but the fact that God himself inspired his name to be recorded thousands and thousands of times more than the title “Father” should tell us something.

And yes, you won't find the name Jehovah in the manuscripts we have, but unlike Hebrew those manuscripts didn't last as long, so we don't have ones until a couple hundred years after the originals I believe. And we know that the Jews developed a superstition involving the pronouncing of God's name. They misapplied one of the commands. This, I believe is what lead to the removal of God's name in the Greek manuscripts. Surely, when they quoted from the Hebrew, they would not have altered the quotes and removed God's name. There are hundreds of quotes from the Hebrew, many of which contained God's name.

Irene, I know you'd rather call him Father, and I call him that too. But why do you think he inspired his name to be recorded about 7000 times in his book? To use, or not to use?

We are His children so why should we not call Him our Father.

Irene, we definitely should, and the Bible writers did too. But Irene, were they wrong to call him by his name? And why did they call him by his name so many thousands of times more than by the title Father.? What do you think?

Joel:
    “it must occur that everyone who calls on the name of Jehovah will get away safe;”

Acts: (a quote from Joel)
    “And everyone who calls on the name of Jehovah will be saved.”’

Of course, he is our loving Father, our caregiver, our provider. And it's great to see him that way. But he is much more. He is judge of all. He is our Creator. He is the one who causes to become. Hence, the name, Jehovah.

david
    Participant

He didn't use his proper name did he? Jesus is our example, right?

That is the question. that's what this thread is actually about. I think Jesus did.

“I have made your name known to them and will make it known,”

Both in a figurative and literal sense, I believe Jesus made known to others who his father was and I don't believe he would have followed the superstitions of the Jews and the misapplying of the commandment.

david
    Participant

And Wickipedia:

“Archaeologists have discovered papyrus fragments of the New Testament dating as far back as the middle of the second century. Of all 5,000 extant manuscripts, none contains either the Hebrew (יהוה) or Greek transliterations (Ἰαβέ) of the Hebrew name יהוה. One of the most ancient fragments, the papyrus codex designated Chester Beatty Papyrus No. 2 P46, is dated prior to AD 200 and contains nine of the apostle Paul's letters. In the Chester Beatty papyri, we find ΚΣ and sometimes ΘΣ with a horizontal bar above them where the tetragrammaton occurs in the Hebrew text. These are abbreviations for kurios (κύριος “lord”) and theos (θεός “god”). [1] concluding that YHWH did indeed occur in the NT.[2]

I took this from page one of this thread. Not sure which article in wikipedia this is under.

Not3in1
    Participant

Quote (david @ June 28 2008,09:32)

He didn't use his proper name did he?  Jesus is our example, right?

That is the question.  that's what this thread is actually about.  I think Jesus did.

Both in a figurative and literal sense, I believe Jesus made known to others who his father was and I don't believe he would have followed the superstitions of the Jews and the misapplying of the commandment.

Can you show me where Jesus taught God's name is Jehovah?

david
    Participant

Can you show me where Jesus taught God's name is Jehovah?

First, of course, I can't show you from the available manuscripts anywhere where “Jesus” taught God's name is Jehovah.

Yeshua (Jesus) or if you prefer Yehashua (Jesus) did say:

I believe him.

I also believe that consistantly, the writers of the Hebrew Scriptures used God's name, (about 7000 times) and I don't think that this would have ceased with the arrival of Jesus. Nor do I think the hundreds of quotes from the Hebrew Scriptures, many which contained the divine name, would have been altered by those who were inspired to write the holy scriptures.

Hundreds of years later, there were alterations, even as the majority of the Bibles today are grossly altered, with “LORD” and “GOD” thousands of times, where once, was the divine name.

Again, one example:

Joel:
    “it must occur that everyone who calls on the name of Jehovah will get away safe;”

Acts: (a quote from Joel)
    “And everyone who calls on the name of Jehovah will be saved.”’

Many Bibles would say “LORD” in Acts, and many would even say “LORD” in both Acts and Joel. But, the divine name was certainly there, without question in Joel, and I believe undoubtedly in Acts, where it was quoted.

david

seekingtruth
    Participant

I believe that Jehovah was used so much in the OT as there was still a separation between us and God and it was more “formal”.

Personally I believe that Jesus may have used His Fathers name while teaching but mostly would have expressed His relationship as He was teaching those who knew of Jehovah but being prior to the “Spirit of sonship” the idea of calling Jehovah, Father (as they would not even say his name), was beyond comprehension.

David I agree that it was wrong to replace Jehovah with Lord in scriptures but it does seem that the JW's tend to fret over not using His name much the same as the pharisees did over using it. I have not said this to offend you and I apologize if I have. Just expressing an observation.

IMO – Wm

david
    Participant

David I agree that it was wrong to replace Jehovah with Lord in scriptures but it does seem that the JW's tend to fret over not using His name much the same as the pharisees did over using it. I have not said this to offend you and I apologize if I have. Just expressing an observation.

Seeking truth, how important is God's name to you?

david
    Participant

Jerome, in the fourth century, wrote:

“Matthew, who is also Levi, and who from a publican came to be an apostle, first of all composed a Gospel of Christ in Judaea in the Hebrew language and characters for the benefit of those of the circumcision who had believed.”
    (De viris inlustribus, chap. III)

This Gospel includes 11 direct quotations of portions of the Hebrew Scriptures where the Tetragrammaton is found.

There is no reason to believe that Matthew did not quote the passages as they were written in the Hebrew text from which he quoted.

david
    Participant

it does seem that the JW's tend to fret over not using His name much the same as the pharisees did over using it.

–seeking

“For all the peoples, for their part, will walk each one in the name of its god; but we, for our part, shall walk in the name of Jehovah our God to time indefinite, even forever.”–micah

Acts 15:14: “Symeon has related thoroughly how God for the first time turned his attention to the nations to take out of them a people for his name.”

SeekingT, how do you feel about this scripture?
    Isa. 12:4: “Give thanks to Jehovah, you people! Call upon his name. Make known among the peoples his dealings. Make mention that his name is put on high.”

seekingtruth
    Participant

David, you asked “Seeking truth, how important is God's name to you?”

It's important, same as my earthly fathers, but I don't believe I've used my dad's first name more then a few times (unless talking to people who don't know either of us). You state that when you know someone well, you use there name, true, unless their your parents then you state the relationship (at least most people I know do). Actually I was brought up that to call your parents by their first name was a lack of respect and the only ones I knew who did it were step-kids who did not like their new “father”.

IMO – Wm

seekingtruth
    Participant

Quote (david @ June 29 2008,00:56)

it does seem that the JW's tend to fret over not using His name much the same as the pharisees did over using it.

–seeking

“For all the peoples, for their part, will walk each one in the name of its god; but we, for our part, shall walk in the name of Jehovah our God to time indefinite, even forever.”–micah

Acts 15:14: “Symeon has related thoroughly how God for the first time turned his attention to the nations to take out of them a people for his name.”

SeekingT, how do you feel about this scripture?
    Isa. 12:4: “Give thanks to Jehovah, you people! Call upon his name. Make known among the peoples his dealings. Make mention that his name is put on high.”

David what do you think of the “Spirit of sonship”

Wm

david
    Participant

It's important, same as my earthly fathers,

–seeking truth.

I would say, God's name is far, vastly, infinitely more important than any earthly Father.

We pray for his name to be sanctified. Our names, mean very little.

david
    Participant

Actually I was brought up that to call your parents by their first name was a lack of respect

Yes, I never called my dad by his name either.

But what do you make of this scripture or scriptures like it?

david
    Participant

“Give thanks to Jehovah, YOU people; call upon his name,
    Make his deeds known among the peoples!–1 chron

GIVE thanks to Jehovah, call upon his name,
    Make known among the peoples his dealings.–psalms

Viewing 20 posts - 21 through 40 (of 131 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 1999 - 2024 Heaven Net

Navigation

© 1999 - 2023 - Heaven Net
or

or    

Forgot your details?

or

Create Account