Jehovah

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 131 total)
  • Author
    kenrch
    Participant

Why isn't the name Jehovah not mentioned in the New Testament?
    Jesus didn't call the Father, Jehovah. Would it have been disrespectful for God's only Son to call Him by His name, Jehovah? Did God's name change to Father in the New Testament? I would like to know!

NickHassan
    Participant

Hi,
    No matter what the name of God is, Jesus told us to address Him as “Our Father”. He did. I think we should do that too.

kenrch
    Participant

Quote (Nick Hassan @ Dec. 01 2005,18:25)
    Hi,
    No matter what the name of God is, Jesus told us to address Him as “Our Father”. He did. I think we should do that too.

So why is it so important to JWs? Do you think that in the Old Testament He had no human children (Jesus being the first) so He wouldn't let them call Him Father? If that being so then if anyone still calls Him Jehovah they must be considered strangers. Only His children should call Him Father don't you think?

NickHassan
    Participant

Hi kenrch,
    Adam was a son of God [Lk 3.38]. The Israelites are called sons of God in Deut 14.1. They say God is their father in Jn 8.41. Paul says everyone is a child of God in Acts 17.29.

But God did not recognise anymore that He was their father . He said their father was the devil, the god of this world. We are all to be rescued from that kingdom of darkness. All are prodigal sons having spent their birthright and with no further claim on Him. To become a son of God now you must be reborn into THE Son of God. You have to be clothed with his robe of righteousness.

I do wonder if the JW's truly fear God as they should using what they say is His name so freely. After all the fear of God is the beginning of wisdom.[Prov 1.7]

Certainly only after rebirth can we truly call God our Father.
    Jn 9.31
    ” We know that God does not hear sinners; but if anyone is Godfearing and does His will, He hears him”

Acts 10.1 f
    ” Now there was a man at Caesarea named Cornelius…..a devout man and one who feared God, and gave many alms to the Jewish people and prayed to God continually..”

david
    Participant

Hi person, friend.
    There has always been hostility toward God’s name. Satan is behind this. He would like to wipe Jehovah’s name out.
    God’s name definitely did originally appear in the New Testament. I’m sure the adminstrator will question this and would love to devote just that topic to a thread, but for now, I will simply say that some Bible’s do have God’s name in the New Testament. And all Bible’s have the shortened poetic form of God’s name (Jah or Yah) in the book of Revelation. Here are some quick examples:
    The Emphatic Diaglott, a 19th-century translation by Benjamin Wilson, contains the name Jehovah a number of times, particularly where the Christian writers quoted from the Hebrew Scriptures. But as far back as the 14th century the Tetragrammaton had already begun to be used in translations of the Christian Scriptures into Hebrew, beginning with the translation of Matthew into Hebrew that was incorporated in the work ́Éven bóchan by Shem-Tob ben Isaac Ibn Shaprut. Wherever Matthew quoted from the Hebrew Scriptures, this translation used the Tetragrammaton in each case of its occurrence. Many other Hebrew translations have since followed the same practice.

Anyway, guy,
    You are right that Jesus told his disciples to address Jehovah as “our Father in the heavens.” (Matthew 6:9) Addressing Jehovah as “our Father” denotes a warm, trusting relationship.
    However, the opening petition immediately puts first things first. It states: “Let your name be sanctified.” (Matthew 6:9) Yes, the sanctification of Jehovah’s name should be of primary concern to us because we love him and hate to see all the reproach that has been heaped upon his name. Satan’s rebellion and his inducing the first human couple to disobey Jehovah God slandered His name by calling into question the way God was exercising his universal sovereignty. (Genesis 3:1-6) Furthermore, through the centuries, Jehovah’s name has been reproached by the shameful acts and teachings of those claiming to represent him, such as the teaching that he torments people alive in hellfire.

Jehovah is so versatile, so adaptable, that he rightly bears a wide array of titles in Scripture. These do not compete with his personal name; rather, they teach us more about what his name represents.

Sovereign Lord Jehovah. This lofty title, which occurs hundreds of times in the Bible, tells us Jehovah’s position. He alone has the right to be Ruler of all the universe. (2 Sam 7:22)

Almighty. His power is limitless, irresistible.—Revelation 15:3.
    Father. The source of all life, including everlasting life, he has fatherly love for his servants.—Proverbs 27:11; John 5:21.
    Grand Instructor. He is the all-wise Teacher, to whom we should look for instruction and guidance.—Isaiah 30:20; 48:17.
    The Rock. Unchanging, he is a secure refuge.—Deuteronomy 32:4.
    Shepherd. He guides and protects his sheeplike servants and arranges for their spiritual sustenance.—Psalm 23:1.

Creator. He is the creator.

King of eternity. Another title applied exclusively to Jehovah. (1 Timothy 1:17; Revelation 15:3)

“President,” “King,” and “General”—are titles and may be applied to several different personages. But “Jehovah” is a personal name and refers to the almighty God and Creator of the universe.
    This is shown at Psalm 83:18, according to the King James Version of the Bible: “That men may know that thou, whose name alone is JEHOVAH, art the most high over all the earth.”

HOW MANY TIMES DOES HIS NAME APPEAR? WHAT DOES THIS TELL US?
    His name appears almost 7,000 times in the Hebrew Scriptures. The very frequency of the name attests to its importance to the Bible’s Author, whose name it is.
    Its use throughout the Scriptures far outnumbers that of any of the titles, such as “Sovereign Lord” or “God,” and “Father,” applied to him.
    *IN FACT, THE USE OF GOD’S PERSONAL NAME FAR OUTNUMBERS ALL THE OTHER TITLES (God, Lord, Father, Creator, etc,) PUT TOGETHER.*

NAMES ARE IMPORTANT TO JEHOVAH.
    Noteworthy, also, is the importance given to names themselves in the Hebrew Scriptures and among Semitic peoples. Professor G. T. Manley points out: “A study of the word ‘name’ in the O[ld] T[estament] reveals how much it means in Hebrew. The name is no mere label, but is significant of the real personality of him to whom it belongs. . . . When a person puts his ‘name’ upon a thing or another person the latter comes under his influence and protection.”—New Bible Dictionary, edited by J. D. Douglas, 1985, p. 430; compare Everyman’s Talmud, by A. Cohen, 1949, p. 24; Ge 27:36; 1Sa 25:25; Ps 20:1; Pr 22:1

THE TITLE FATHER
    Paul’s reference to “God the Father” does not mean that the true God’s name is “Father,” for the designation “father” applies as well to every human male parent and describes men in other relationships. (Ro 4:11, 16; 1Co 4:15) The Messiah is given the title “Eternal Father.” (Isa 9:6) Jesus called Satan the “father” of certain murderous opposers. (Joh 8:44) The term was also applied to gods of the nations, the Greek god Zeus being represented as the great father god in Homeric poetry. That “God the Father” has a name, one that is distinct from his Son’s name, is shown in numerous texts. (Mt 28:19; Re 3:12; 14:1) Paul knew the personal name of God, Jehovah, as found in the creation account in Genesis, from which Paul quoted in his writings. That name, Jehovah, distinguishes “God the Father” (compare Isa 64:8), thereby blocking any attempt at merging or blending his identity and person with that of any other to whom the title “god” or “father” may be applied.

THE IMPORTANCE OF CALLING ON JEHOVAH’S NAME.
    Quoting Joel 2:32, Paul declares: “Everyone who calls on the name of Jehovah will be saved.” (Romans 10:13)
    Here, Paul quoted Joel, where the divine name occurs. Would Paul change the quote? Would he follow Jewish superstition and substitute a title like Lord? Are we allowed to change Bible quotes?

Anyway, guy and other person, I have a lot to say on this subject. I just randomly pulled a couple things together. I’m just going to put a couple other scriptures down:

MICAH 4:5
    “For all the peoples, for their part, will walk each one in the name of its god; but we, for our part, shall walk in the name of Jehovah our God to time indefinite, even forever.”

MALACHI 3:16
    “….And a book of remembrance began to be written up before him for those in fear of Jehovah and for those thinking upon his name.”

Oh, Kenrch and Nick, names are a good thing. Not using them causes confusion, as I was trying to illustrate above by not using yours. This has helped the trinity doctrine nicely, by taking “Jehovah” out, and thus making it easier to confuse him with His son.

david.

david
    Participant

This conversation didn't go very far, and I think it was a good question.

david
    Participant

Why isn't the name Jehovah not mentioned in the New Testament? . . . I would like to know! –Kenrch

Excellent question.

First, a link:
    http://mysite.wanadoo-members.co.uk/newworl….ons.htm

Question # 3 in that link looks at that very question, or rather, why “Jehovah” is found in the Greek scriptures of the NWT.

david
    Participant

And Wickipedia:

“Archaeologists have discovered papyrus fragments of the New Testament dating as far back as the middle of the second century. Of all 5,000 extant manuscripts, none contains either the Hebrew (יהוה) or Greek transliterations (Ἰαβέ) of the Hebrew name יהוה. One of the most ancient fragments, the papyrus codex designated Chester Beatty Papyrus No. 2 P46, is dated prior to AD 200 and contains nine of the apostle Paul's letters. In the Chester Beatty papyri, we find ΚΣ and sometimes ΘΣ with a horizontal bar above them where the tetragrammaton occurs in the Hebrew text. These are abbreviations for kurios (κύριος “lord”) and theos (θεός “god”). Some scholars think that these abbreviations were not part of the autographs and thus were added some time later,[1] concluding that YHWH did indeed occur in the NT.[2]

An article by George Howard in the March 1978 issue of Biblical Archaeology Review set forth a theory that YHWH appeared in the New Testament and that “the removal of the Tetragrammaton from the New Testament and its replacement with the surrogates kyrios and theos blurred the original distinction between the Lord God and the Lord Christ.”[3]”

david
    Participant

“Scholarship typically has believed that the New Testament was originally written in koine or common Greek because the oldest known New Testament manuscripts are all written in Greek. Yet, there are many scholars who are now refuting this idea (see Documents of the Primitive Church, Dr. Charles Torrey; The Quest of the Historical Jesus, Dr. Albert Schweitzer; Complete Jewish Bible, David Stern; Journal of Biblical Literature, vol. 96, Dr. George Howard).

One reason scholars question a Greek New Testament original is because of the New Testament’s grammar. Linguistic authorities admit that the New Testament has poor Greek grammar but excellent Hebrew grammar. This is even more the case for the four Evangels and the Book of Revelation. A growing number of scholars are convinced that the Evangels, along with Revelation, were all originally written in Hebrew or Aramaic, a close dialect to Hebrew. “
    http://www.yrm.org/trinity-fact-fiction.htm

kenrch
    Participant

Thanks David,

So when the New Testament quoted from the Old Testament the name should be Jehovah. Is that right?

Bibliophile
    Participant

Hi Kenrch,

Thanks for the welcome.

I would like to recommend a book which contains a couple of nice lists. One list contains renderings of John 1:1 (79) other than the traditional “and the word was God.”

For this thread though, this book also cantains a list of English translations which contain God's name in the NT (Greek Scriptures) in some form. 79 different ones in fact.

The Book is: “The Trinity's Weak Links Revealed” by Robert L. George You can order it at Amazon, Barnes and Noble, etc…

In Christ

Is 1:18
    Participant

This must be the book recommendation thread. I would like to recommend an excellent refutation of the Watchtower publication “Should you Believe in the Trinity”. It's titled “Why you Should Believe in the Trinity – An Answer to the Jehovah's Witnesses” by Robert M Bowman, Jr. It exposes the faulty reasoning and intellectual dishonesty that permeates the WT document.

Definately worth a read for the open minded JW…..

:)

david
    Participant

I would like to recommend an excellent refutation of the Watchtower publication “Should you Believe in the Trinity”. It's titled “Why you Should Believe in the Trinity – An Answer to the Jehovah's Witnesses” by Robert M Bowman, Jr. It exposes the faulty reasoning and intellectual dishonesty that permeates the WT document.

And, i would like to recommend this website:

http://mysite.wanadoo-members.co.uk/newworldtranslation/pageindex.htm

Which points out the fallacies and errors in several of the books, etc that have been written against the “Should you Believe in the Trinity” brochure.

In the bottom right hand corner of that page, you'll find three people who erroneously argued against various points of the “trinity” brochure.

david.

Participant

The site doesn't list the Bowman book, it must be okay then…

:cool:

david
    Participant

How new is the book? Give it some time.

Participant

I challenge you to read it with an open mind David. What have you got to lose? I'll even post you a copy if you like.

Proclaimer
    Participant

Offering a JW to become a Trinitarian?

Why?

Believing that Jesus is the Christ and son of God is the important truth that we need to grasp. Saying that Jesus is Michael or God is just silly and confuses everything.

I think that each side can see the faults of the other. I also think it is vanity to try and coax one from the fry pan to the fire.

kejonn
    Participant

Just as an aside,

Psa 89:26 “He will cry to Me, 'You are my Father, My God, and the rock of my salvation.'

Isa 63:16 For You are our Father, though Abraham does not know us And Israel does not recognize us. You, O LORD, are our Father, Our Redeemer from of old is Your name.

Isa 64:8 But now, O LORD, You are our Father, We are the clay, and You our potter; And all of us are the work of Your hand.

michaels
    Participant

this (yhwh)in exidus verse15 can not be Gods name ,must have been changed because his real name is to special.they must have writen this as they write LORD every where now.read ex 6:3,the name in this verse must have been changed for it is clear that abraham knew God as (yhwh).the only name abram dident know God by is (I AM),so this must truly be his memorial name forever,not (YHWH). this is the key God has given that leads to life eternal.

Sevena
    Participant

I personally believe His Name to be Jehovah. It says in Psalm 83:18 Old KJV
    “and the name of the Lord is Jehovah, you alone are most Holy over all the earth”
    Or something to that effect…

Sevena

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 131 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 1999 - 2024 Heaven Net

Navigation

© 1999 - 2023 - Heaven Net
or

or    

Forgot your details?

or

Create Account