Is baptism needed for salvation?

Viewing 20 posts - 1,961 through 1,980 (of 4,344 total)
  • Author
    SEEKING
    Participant

Quote (Not3in1 @ Mar. 06 2009,14:13)

Quote (Nick Hassan @ Mar. 07 2009,08:04)
    Hi Not3,
    What are the commands of Jesus?

You must be born again of water and the Spirit.
    Seek ye first the kingdom of God.
    As.. seek.. knock.
    Love one another as I have loved you.
    Do this in memory of me.
    Abide in me.
    Give….

This is probably the single most important post I have ever read!!!  I take back everything I've ever said about you, Nick.   :laugh:

You need to paste and post this OFTEN…daily maybe?

Thanks for the list!
    Love,
    Mandy

Mandy,

Not taking away from anything Nick wrote, each point is correct,  keeping the “Royal Law” sums it all up, for me.

Jas 2:8  If you really fulfill the royal law according to the Scripture, “You shall love your neighbor as yourself,” you are doing well.

Jesus Himself wrapped it up in those four letters, LOVE.

Mat 22:37-40  And he said to him, “You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind.   This is the great and first commandment.   And a second is like it: You shall love your neighbor as yourself.  
    On these two commandments depend all the Law and the Prophets.”

For all the talk about to whom the law was given, who was under it, who was not under it –  Jesus said here is how you fulfill the law and the prophets – Joh 13:34  A new commandment I give to you, that you love one another: just as I have loved you, you also are to love one another.

When we keep that one, love as Jesus did we keep the rest.
    What did Jesus say was our motivation to keeping His commandments?  

Joh 14:15  “If you love me, you will keep my commandments.

With the Love of the Lord,

Seeking

NickHassan
    Participant

Quote (thethinker @ Mar. 07 2009,08:39)

Hi Not3,

As.. seek.. knock.
    Do this in memory of me.
    Abide in me.
    Give….

But none of it can justify a person. Only faith can justify.

thinker

Hi TT,
    So we can save ourselves by faith?

KangarooJack
    Participant

Seeking said:

For all the talk about to whom the law was given, who was under it, who was not under it –  Jesus said here is how you fulfill the law and the prophets – Joh 13:34  A new commandment I give to you, that you love one another: just as I have loved you, you also are to love one another.

When we keep that one, love as Jesus did we keep the rest.
    What did Jesus say was our motivation to keeping His commandments?

But none of us keep it perfectly. Therefore we're all condemned. Christ kept the law perfectly in our behalf.

By the obedience of One [Christ], the many were made righteous (Rom. 5)

thinker

NickHassan
    Participant

Quote (thethinker @ Mar. 07 2009,08:37)
    Nick said:

Being baptised is not your own works.
    It is the joyful work of the servants of Chist to help you obey the command.

Nick,
    You're contradicting yourself. You say it's not a work and then in the same breath say it is a work. Geez!

thinker

Hi TT,
    It is not your work if someone baptises you in the name of Jesus.

NickHassan
    Participant

Quote (thethinker @ Mar. 07 2009,08:39)

Hi Not3,

As.. seek.. knock.
    Do this in memory of me.
    Abide in me.
    Give….

thinker

Hi TT,
    Whoever wants to save his own life will lose it.

KangarooJack
    Participant

Quote (Not3in1 @ Mar. 07 2009,08:13)

Hi Not3,

As.. seek.. knock.
    Do this in memory of me.
    Abide in me.
    Give….

This is probably the single most important post I have ever read!!!  I take back everything I've ever said about you, Nick.   :laugh:

You need to paste and post this OFTEN…daily maybe?

Thanks for the list!
    Love,
    Mandy

Mandy,
    I exhort you to get with God's new covenant program which means that you just rest in Jesus. If you keep buying in to Nick's works stuff you will not get well.

thinker

SEEKING
    Participant

Quote (thethinker @ Mar. 06 2009,14:45)

But none of us keep it perfectly. Therefore we're all condemned.

Rom 8:1-2 There is therefore now no condemnation for those who are in Christ Jesus. For the law of the Spirit of life has set you free in Christ Jesus from the law of sin and death.

Rom 8:3-4 For God has done what the law, weakened by the flesh, could not do. By sending his own Son in the likeness of sinful flesh and for sin, he condemned sin in the flesh, in order that the righteous requirement of the law might be fulfilled in us, who walk not according to the flesh but according to the Spirit.

Seeking

SEEKING
    Participant

Quote (Nick Hassan @ Mar. 06 2009,14:48)

Quoting thinker –

Did you not contend that Paul taught Gentiles were justified by doing by nature what was contained in the law?

Rom 2:13-14 For it is not the hearers of the law who are righteous before God, but the doers of the law who will be justified. For when Gentiles, who do not have the law, by nature do what the law requires, they are a law to themselves, even though they do not have the law.

Seeking

KangarooJack
    Participant

Quote (SEEKING @ Mar. 07 2009,11:34)

Quote (Nick Hassan @ Mar. 06 2009,14:48)

Quoting thinker –

Did you not contend that Paul taught Gentiles were justified by doing by nature what was contained in the law?

Rom 2:13-14  For it is not the hearers of the law who are righteous before God, but the doers of the law who will be justified.  For when Gentiles, who do not have the law, by nature do what the law requires, they are a law to themselves, even though they do not have the law.

Seeking

Seeking,
    Yes, the Gentiles were justified by doing by nature what was contained in the law when the law was still in effect. This is not now the case. Justification is by faith alone now.

thinker

Not3in1
    Participant

Thanks, brother's.

I do rest in the fact that I cannot save myself by works – even my faith is a gift from God.

However, I do believe that without works, faith is dead. I think we're supposed to be busy loving people – that takes work. If someone just told me they loved me but never showed me that they loved me, well, their words would be pretty hollow.

We can't work our way to Paradise, but I don't want to show up empty handed either! :;):
    I want the Lord to look at me and say, “Well done.”.

Love,
    Mandy

SEEKING
    Participant

thethinker,Mar. wrote:

[/quote]

Seking,
    Yes, the Gentiles were justified by doing by nature what was contained in the law when the law aws still in effect. This is not now the case. Justification is by faith alone now.

thinker

Thinker,

What necessitated the change.  If the sacrificial system was working for the Jews and the Gentiles were enjoying success as law keepers?

NO!  As the Bible states “ALL have sinned and come short of the glory of God”. There was no sufficient sacrifice until Christ and there were no successful law keepers.

Mat 5:17  “Do not think that I have come to abolish the Law or the Prophets; I have not come to abolish them but to fulfill them.

Rom 8:1-4  There is therefore now no condemnation for those who are in Christ Jesus.  For the law of the Spirit of life has set you free in Christ Jesus from the law of sin and death.   For God has done what the law, weakened by the flesh, could not do. By sending his own Son in the likeness of sinful flesh and for sin, he condemned sin in the flesh, in order that the righteous requirement of the law might be fulfilled in us, who walk not according to the flesh but according to the Spirit.

Seeking

theodorej
    Participant

Quote (thethinker @ Mar. 04 2009,10:56)
    Nick said:

There are still apostles in the everliving body of Christ.[1cor12]

I don't see real, bonafide miracles being performed today.

thinker

Greetings Thinker…..As for the performance of miracles I say to you STANDBY !!!…..Let us not forget that a miracle is some thing or event that will be spectacular and defy common knowledge and human understanding…..We are living in a time when we will see wonders that will confound even the elect…..Watch the worlds most vibraint economy disolve before your very eyes….Watch for spectacular weather events….Watch the middle east…..

KangarooJack
    Participant

Seeking asked:

What necessitated the change.  If the sacrificial system was working for the Jews and the Gentiles were enjoying success as law keepers?

Seeking,
    You ask a darn good question. The change was necessitated by the fact that God wanted to be worshipped in spirit and in truth

But the hour is coming, and now is, when the true worshipers will worship the Father in spirit and in truth; for the Father is seeking such to worship Him (John 4:23)

I guess that God got sick and tired of worship according to the letter when men's hearts weren't really in it.

Seeking quoted Jesus:

Mat 5:17  “Do not think that I have come to abolish the Law or the Prophets; I have not come to abolish them but to fulfill them.

Did Jesus fulfill the law or not?

thinker

KangarooJack
    Participant

theodorej wrote:

Greetings Thinker…..As for the performance of miracles I say to you STANDBY !!!…..Let us not forget that a miracle is some thing or event that will be spectacular and defy common knowledge and human understanding…..We are living in a time when we will see wonders that will confound even the elect…..Watch the worlds most vibraint economy disolve before your very eyes….Watch for spectacular weather events….

tj,
    It is evident that you and I do not agree on what constitutes a “miracle.”

Now there was a certain woman who had a flow of blood for twelve years, and had suffered many things of many physicians. She had spent all that she had and was not better, but rather grew worse. When she heard about Jesus, she came behind Him in the crowd and touched His garment….Immediately the fountain of her blood was dried up, and she felt in her body that she was healed of her affliction. (Mark 5:25-29)

A miracle is defined as woman who has been suffering for twelve years even after having more suffering inflicted upon her by “doctors.” Then she hears about Jesus and believes that just by touching His garment she will be healed of her infirmity. A miracle happens in the moment she touches His garment and she is immediately healed of the infirmity that the many physicains failed to cure though they took her money.

Then He came to the house of the ruler of the synagogue, and saw a great commotion and those who wept and wailed loudly. When He came in He said to them, “Why make this commotion and weep? The child is not dead, but sleeping.”….Then He took the child by the hand, and said to her, “Talitha Cumi,” which is translated, “little girl, I say to you, arise.” Immediately the girl arose and walked….And they were overcome with great amazement (Mark 5:36-42)

A miracle is defined as a loving family that is grieving over the little girl they loved but died. Then Jesus appears to console them not only in word “Do not weep”, but also in action “Little girl, I say to you, arise.” A miracle happens when the little girl that was dead immediately arises and the people are overcome with great amazement and their little one is given back to them.

Yet your definition of a miracle is this:

Stand by….Watch the middle east…..

thinker

SEEKING
    Participant

Quote (Not3in1 @ Mar. 07 2009,23:03)
    Thanks, brother's.

I do rest in the fact that I cannot save myself by works – even my faith is a gift from God.

However, I do believe that without works, faith is dead.  I think we're supposed to be busy loving people – that takes work.  If someone just told me they loved me but never showed me that they loved me, well, their words would be pretty hollow.

We can't work our way to Paradise, but I don't want to show up empty handed either!  :;):

Love,
    Mandy

Mandy,

You believe well. That is what the Bible says!

Blessing in your walk of fruitful faith,

Seeking

SEEKING
    Participant

Quote (theodorej @ Mar. 08 2009,07:41)

Quote (thethinker @ Mar. 04 2009,10:56)
    Nick said:

There are still apostles in the everliving body of Christ.[1cor12]

I don't see real, bonafide miracles being performed today.

thinker

Greetings Thinker…..As for the performance of miracles I say to you STANDBY !!!…..Let us not forget that a miracle is some thing or event that will be spectacular and defy common knowledge and human understanding…..We are living in a time when we will see wonders that will confound even the elect…..Watch the worlds most vibraint economy disolve before your very eyes….Watch for spectacular weather events….Watch the middle east…..

Theo,

I believe you are right on. However, many will not see them, I believe. Why? Mat 9:29 Then he touched their eyes, saying, “According to your faith be it done to you.”

No faith for them, no witnessing of miracles!

Seeking

kerwin
    Participant

Quote (SEEKING @ Mar. 09 2009,02:53)

Quote (Not3in1 @ Mar. 07 2009,23:03)
    Thanks, brother's.

However, I do believe that without works, faith is dead.  I think we're supposed to be busy loving people – that takes work.  If someone just told me they loved me but never showed me that they loved me, well, their words would be pretty hollow.

We can't work our way to Paradise, but I don't want to show up empty handed either!  :;):

Love,
    Mandy

Mandy,

You believe well.  That is what the Bible says!

Blessing in your walk of fruitful faith,

Seeking

I agree that what Mandy said was well said.

SEEKING
    Participant

Quote (thethinker @ Mar. 08 2009,10:03)

Mat 5:17 “Do not think that I have come to abolish the Law or the Prophets; I have not come to abolish them but to fulfill them.

Rom 8:1-4 There is therefore now no condemnation for those who are in Christ Jesus. For the law of the Spirit of life has set you free in Christ Jesus from the law of sin and death.
    For God has done what the law, weakened by the flesh, could not do. By sending his own Son in the likeness of sinful flesh and for sin, he condemned sin in the flesh,in order that the righteous requirement of the law might be fulfilled in us, who walk not according to the flesh but according to the Spirit.

Sure looks like it!

Seeking

SEEKING
    Participant

But the hour is coming, and now is, when the true worshipers will worship the Father in spirit and in truth; for the Father is seeking such to worship Him (John 4:23)

I guess that God got sick and tired of worship according to the letter when men's hearts weren't really in it.

Thinker,

Considering the totality of the text, we see “TRUE WORSHIPERS” already existed –  

Joh 4:22  You worship what you do not know; we worship what we know, for salvation is from the Jews.

Joh 4:23  But the hour is coming, and is now herewhen the true worshipers will worship the Father in spirit and truth, for the Father is seeking such people to worship him.

Joh 4:24  God is spirit, and those who worship him must worship in spirit and truth.”

There have ALWAYS been men who's hearts were “really in it.”
    There always will be!  And there are “saved by faith alone” folks who's heart is not “really in it.”  Only God knows the heart.

Seeking

KangarooJack
    Participant

Quote (SEEKING @ Mar. 09 2009,08:02)

Rom 8:1-4  There is therefore now no condemnation for those who are in Christ Jesus.  For the law of the Spirit of life has set you free in Christ Jesus from the law of sin and death.
    For God has done what the law, weakened by the flesh, could not do. By sending his own Son in the likeness of sinful flesh and for sin, he condemned sin in the flesh, in order that the righteous requirement of the law might be fulfilled in us, who walk not according to the flesh but according to the Spirit.

Sure looks like it!

Seeking

Seeking,
    I exhort you to practice the interpretation of Scripture according to context. In chapter 7 Paul said,

For when we were in the flesh, the sinful passions which were aroused by the law were at work in our members to bring forth fruit unto death. But now we have been delivered from the law, having died to what we were held by, so that we should serve in the newness of the spirit and not in the oldness of the letter (7:5-6)

Please note well that for us to serve according to the letter of the law is connected to being in the flesh. So I offer this paraphrase of 8:4 (in bold),

There is therefore now no condemnation for those who are in Christ Jesus.  For the law of the Spirit of life in Christ Jesus has set you free from the law of sin and death.
    For God has done what the law, weakened by the flesh, could not do. By sending his own Son in the likeness of sinful flesh and for sin, he condemned sin in the flesh,in order that the righteous requirement of the law might be fulfilled in us, who walk not according to the letter of the law but according to the spirit of the law.

In other words, to walk in the flesh is to serve the law according to the letter. But to walk in the Spirit is to serve the law according to the spirit. Christ fulfilled the letter of the law in your behalf so that the spirit of the law might be fulfilled in you. Is this so hard to comprehend?

Baptism ceased to be in effect when Jesus fulfilled the letter of the law. And to the extent that you impose any letter today is the extent that you walk in the flesh. Walking in the Spirit can be achieved only by walking by faith alone!

thinker

Viewing 20 posts - 1,961 through 1,980 (of 4,344 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 1999 - 2024 Heaven Net

Navigation

© 1999 - 2023 - Heaven Net
or

or    

Forgot your details?

or

Create Account