Is baptism needed for salvation?

Viewing 20 posts - 1,061 through 1,080 (of 4,344 total)
  • Author
    Not3in1
    Participant

Quote (supergeek14 @ July 02 2008,07:20)

Quote (Not3in1 @ July 02 2008,05:05)

Quote (Gene Balthrop @ July 02 2008,04:33)
    Adam……then i would like to change my vote to NO. How can that be done?

Supergeek,

It is clear that many mature Christians here do not believe that water baptism is necessary for salvation.

Has no one given you anything that you can use?

Is the idea that the water is symbolism not a good idea?  Jesus uses water as an example of washing a few times.  He talks about cleaning the outside of the cup, he talks about how water washes away dirt, he says we should wash one another's feet……  He says we are born of water (flesh) and *need to* be born again of the Spirit.

I agree with Gene that the baptism that comes from heaven is the one that is necessary for salvation.  We must be born again of the Spirit.  John's baptism was paving the way for Jesus to be the life-giving spirit which was poured on all who *believed*.  I'm convinced this is why the thief on the cross was able to receive the invitation to paradise from the Lord.  The thief believed who Jesus was and Jesus was becoming a life-giving spirit as his blood was being poured out.

Jesus' life-giving spirit is still being poured out today!

1.) Are you calling me immature?

2.) No. No one here has given me anything that I can use.

3.) None of you have yet to cite one verse that says it is a symbol…

:laugh:   Adam, don't get paranoid, no I am not calling you immature.  In fact I have already told you I am encouraged by your seeking the Lord at your age. However, maturity in the Lord does take some time, you should not be offended at this.

You are free to make your own conclusions I suppose, but it's also wise to consider what other's have to offer in light of certain scriptures.

Not3in1
    Participant

Quote (supergeek14 @ July 02 2008,07:20)

Quote (Not3in1 @ July 02 2008,05:05)

Quote (Gene Balthrop @ July 02 2008,04:33)
    Adam……then i would like to change my vote to NO. How can that be done?

Supergeek,

It is clear that many mature Christians here do not believe that water baptism is necessary for salvation.

Has no one given you anything that you can use?

Is the idea that the water is symbolism not a good idea?  Jesus uses water as an example of washing a few times.  He talks about cleaning the outside of the cup, he talks about how water washes away dirt, he says we should wash one another's feet……  He says we are born of water (flesh) and *need to* be born again of the Spirit.

I agree with Gene that the baptism that comes from heaven is the one that is necessary for salvation.  We must be born again of the Spirit.  John's baptism was paving the way for Jesus to be the life-giving spirit which was poured on all who *believed*.  I'm convinced this is why the thief on the cross was able to receive the invitation to paradise from the Lord.  The thief believed who Jesus was and Jesus was becoming a life-giving spirit as his blood was being poured out.

Jesus' life-giving spirit is still being poured out today!

1.) Are you calling me immature?

2.) No. No one here has given me anything that I can use.

3.) None of you have yet to cite one verse that says it is a symbol…

:laugh:   Adam, don't get paranoid, no I am not calling you immature.  In fact I have already told you I am encouraged by your seeking the Lord at your age. However, maturity in the Lord does take some time, you should not be offended at this.

You are free to make your own conclusions I suppose, but it's also wise to consider what other's have to offer in light of certain scriptures.

Not3in1
    Participant

Quote (Nick Hassan @ July 02 2008,07:24)
    GHi not3,
    The symbol of the washing of the feet seems to be of forgiveness.
    Water baptism is also a plea for that divine forgiveness.
    We should not assume the forgiveness of God.

You had me until the last sentence…..what are you implying?

Not3in1
    Participant

Quote (Nick Hassan @ July 02 2008,07:24)
    GHi not3,
    The symbol of the washing of the feet seems to be of forgiveness.
    Water baptism is also a plea for that divine forgiveness.
    We should not assume the forgiveness of God.

You had me until the last sentence…..what are you implying?

NickHassan
    Participant

Hi not3,
    We are water baptised for the forgiveness of sins[Acts2]
    Men claim to know they are baptised in the Spirit.
    They assume that means they are forgiven.

Not all who cry LORD LORD WE HAVE DONE MIRACLES IN YOUR NAME are found in the kingdom.

NickHassan
    Participant

Hi not3,

Not all who cry LORD LORD WE HAVE DONE MIRACLES IN YOUR NAME are found in the kingdom.

Not3in1
    Participant

Quote (Nick Hassan @ July 02 2008,08:40)
    Hi not3,

Gotcha.

So do you think the only ones the Lord “knows” are those that are water baptized?

Not3in1
    Participant

Quote (Nick Hassan @ July 02 2008,08:40)
    Hi not3,

Gotcha.

So do you think the only ones the Lord “knows” are those that are water baptized?

NickHassan
    Participant

Hi not3,
    Men should not assume on their forgiveness by God.
    We should obey all things and
    leave the rest to Him.

NickHassan
    Participant

Hi not3,
    leave the rest to Him.

NickHassan
    Participant

Hi not3,
    Neither do we presume that anyone is not saved.
    Every day we are blessed by “unbelievers” who show by their loving actions to us that they are sheep.

Matthew 10:42
    And whosoever shall give to drink unto one of these little ones a cup of cold water only in the name of a disciple, verily I say unto you, he shall in no wise lose his reward.
    Mark 9:41
    For whosoever shall give you a cup of water to drink in my name, because ye belong to Christ, verily I say unto you, he shall not lose his reward.

Mt25
    34Then shall the King say unto them on his right hand, Come, ye blessed of my Father, inherit the kingdom prepared for you from the foundation of the world:

35For I was an hungred, and ye gave me meat: I was thirsty, and ye gave me drink: I was a stranger, and ye took me in:

36Naked, and ye clothed me: I was sick, and ye visited me: I was in prison, and ye came unto me.

37Then shall the righteous answer him, saying, Lord, when saw we thee an hungred, and fed thee? or thirsty, and gave thee drink?

38When saw we thee a stranger, and took thee in? or naked, and clothed thee?

39Or when saw we thee sick, or in prison, and came unto thee?

40And the King shall answer and say unto them, Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of these my brethren, ye have done it unto me.

NickHassan
    Participant

Hi not3,
    Neither do we presume that anyone is not saved.
    Every day we are blessed by “unbelievers” who show by their loving actions to us that they are sheep.

Matthew 10:42
    And whosoever shall give to drink unto one of these little ones a cup of cold water only in the name of a disciple, verily I say unto you, he shall in no wise lose his reward.
    Mark 9:41
    For whosoever shall give you a cup of water to drink in my name, because ye belong to Christ, verily I say unto you, he shall not lose his reward.

Mt25
    34Then shall the King say unto them on his right hand, Come, ye blessed of my Father, inherit the kingdom prepared for you from the foundation of the world:

35For I was an hungred, and ye gave me meat: I was thirsty, and ye gave me drink: I was a stranger, and ye took me in:

36Naked, and ye clothed me: I was sick, and ye visited me: I was in prison, and ye came unto me.

37Then shall the righteous answer him, saying, Lord, when saw we thee an hungred, and fed thee? or thirsty, and gave thee drink?

38When saw we thee a stranger, and took thee in? or naked, and clothed thee?

39Or when saw we thee sick, or in prison, and came unto thee?

40And the King shall answer and say unto them, Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of these my brethren, ye have done it unto me.

Not3in1
    Participant

Quote (Nick Hassan @ July 02 2008,09:31)
    Hi not3,
    leave the rest to Him.

If we cannot be sure of our forgiveness then how are we to be sure of our salvation?

The bible teaches us to have confidence that we are his!

Not3in1
    Participant

Quote (Nick Hassan @ July 02 2008,09:31)
    Hi not3,
    leave the rest to Him.

If we cannot be sure of our forgiveness then how are we to be sure of our salvation?

The bible teaches us to have confidence that we are his!

NickHassan
    Participant

Hi not3,
    You should obey what is written and then trust God.

NickHassan
    Participant

Hi not3,

Not3in1
    Participant

Quote (Nick Hassan @ July 02 2008,10:14)
    Hi not3,

Should we obey ALL that is written in hopes of hitting the right combination of requirements for salvation?

Salvation is not of ourselves. I believe when the Lord said depart from me I never knew you….he wasn't referring to those who were not water baptized but rather to those who's hearts were far from him. Even those who are water baptized can stray from God and wander away….

Unless of course you believe “once saved always saved”.

Not3in1
    Participant

Quote (Nick Hassan @ July 02 2008,10:14)
    Hi not3,

Should we obey ALL that is written in hopes of hitting the right combination of requirements for salvation?

Salvation is not of ourselves. I believe when the Lord said depart from me I never knew you….he wasn't referring to those who were not water baptized but rather to those who's hearts were far from him. Even those who are water baptized can stray from God and wander away….

Unless of course you believe “once saved always saved”.

NickHassan
    Participant

Hi not3,
    Should we obey all? Yes.
    Is God trustworthy? Yes

2tim2
    11It is a faithful saying: For if we be dead with him, we shall also live with him:

12If we suffer, we shall also reign with him: if we deny him, he also will deny us:

13If we believe not, yet he abideth faithful: he cannot deny himself.

14Of these things put them in remembrance, charging them before the Lord that they strive not about words to no profit, but to the subverting of the hearers.

If we have died with him-Rom6
    If we cannot lose salvation a lot of scripture is in doubt.

NickHassan
    Participant

Hi not3,
    Should we obey all? Yes.
    Is God trustworthy? Yes

2tim2
    11It is a faithful saying: For if we be dead with him, we shall also live with him:

12If we suffer, we shall also reign with him: if we deny him, he also will deny us:

13If we believe not, yet he abideth faithful: he cannot deny himself.

14Of these things put them in remembrance, charging them before the Lord that they strive not about words to no profit, but to the subverting of the hearers.

If we have died with him-Rom6
    If we cannot lose salvation a lot of scripture is in doubt.

Viewing 20 posts - 1,061 through 1,080 (of 4,344 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 1999 - 2024 Heaven Net

Navigation

© 1999 - 2023 - Heaven Net
or

or    

Forgot your details?

or

Create Account