Is baptism needed for salvation?

Viewing 20 posts - 521 through 540 (of 4,344 total)
  • Author
    Not3in1
    Participant

Quote (TimothyVI @ April 28 2008,04:44)

Quote (Not3in1 @ April 28 2008,03:13)
    Theo, good point to ponder.

I believe that if you call yourself a Christian – you should use the NT as your guide for living and following the rules therein.  And we are told that the disciples water baptized people.  We are told that people believed, they were baptized, and they were “added” to their number.  Why should baptism today be “optional”?  

Can we look to other things and choose them to be optional.  Or is the belief that when the spirit came it took the place of water baptism?  Were folks baptized after pentecost?

Hi Mandy,

Why was John baptising people even before he knew of Jesus and what Jesus was going to command?
    For that matter, John was the cousin of Jesus, why did he not even know Him when He came to be baptized?
    Lastly, why did Jesus need to be baptized in the first place?

Tim

Do other's want a stab at these questions?

I have some theories, but they would be unpopular here.

I have to go for tonight but I'll come back and share why I feel that Jesus needed to be baptized. Thanks, Tim!

TimothyVI
    Participant

Hi Colter,
    Your urantia explanation does not quite agree with what 942 said.
    It appears that this baptizing gentiles was something new that obviously not part of
    Jewish law, and John had started himself.

Tim

Not3in1
    Participant

Hey GS – welcome!

It depends who you ask. But there are a few thread already discussing this if you want to look them up. I'll try to bump a few for you. I believe there are some good responses.

As for me, I was baptized with the trinity formula when I was 9 years old. In 2003 I denounced the trinity and just a few years ago I was baptized in the name of Jesus only.

Take care,
    Mandy

Not3in1
    Participant

Bump for new member

Not3in1
    Participant

Look under “New Posts” for other threads about baptism. Happy reading!

TimothyVI
    Participant

Quote (Colter @ May 06 2008,06:37)
    the pure spirit of the Father left the human Jesus and instantaneously returned from paradise, only now it was personalized and spoke above Jesus for he and the others to hear.

Hi Colter,
    You said
    “the pure spirit of the Father left the human Jesus and instantaneously returned from paradise”

I don't think I understand what that means.
    Sorry.

Tim

gsilva72
    Participant

I was baptised in the Name of Jesus also! Right now I believe in the oneness doctrine, but I am leaning toward the trinity doctrine again. Several scripture seem to support it. The big one I am looking at is Hebrews 1:8. :)

TimothyVI
    Participant

Quote (gsilva72 @ May 07 2008,11:14)
    I was baptised in the Name of Jesus also! Right now I believe in the oneness doctrine, but I am leaning toward the trinity doctrine again. Several scripture seem to support it. The big one I am looking at is Hebrews 1:8. :)

You can read 1108 pages of pros and cons concerning the trinity doctrine here.

https://heavennet.net/cgi-bin….7;t=694

Good luck trying to use one chapter and verse as proof either way.

Tim

TimothyVI
    Participant

Oh, by the way.
    Welcome gsilva72 :)

Tim

Tonycb
    Participant

Baptism in Jesus' Name

The usual Trinitarian formula used for baptism is found in Matthew 28:19. The setting is the Great Commission. These are some of the last words that Jesus told His disciples before He ascended. It reads:
    Matthew 28:19 Go therefore and make disciples of all the nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit.
    The first thing I would like to point out here is that name is singular. This is significant. The Father, Son and Holy Spirit all have one name. Now I do not intend to try and explain this passage away. These are the words of Jesus. But we must ask ourselves, what does this mean? We must not take this one passage in isolation and ignore everything else that the Bible has to say about baptism. We must let scripture interpret scripture and look at all that the Bible says on any given subject.
    Next I would like to point out now that this is not the only account of the Great Commission. There is a reason why we have four gospels. God inspired each writer to write the same truth from different points of view. John did not record the Great Commission, but we will look at what the others said. When we look at Mark’s account we read:
    Mark 16:15 Go into all the world and preach the gospel to every creature. 16 He who believes and is baptized will be saved; but he who does not believe will be condemned. 17 And these signs will follow those who believe: In My name they will cast out demons; they will speak with new tongues
    So we see that Mark records the command to go and baptize, but does not speak of a name in connection with baptism. However, we do see a mention of Jesus’ name in the very next verse. More importantly we need to look at how the apostles obeyed these commands which we will see in the book of Acts. But now lets look at Luke’s account:
    Luke 24:47 and that repentance and remission of sins should be preached in His name to all nations, beginning at Jerusalem. 48 And you are witnesses of these things. 49 Behold, I send the Promise of My Father upon you; but tarry in the city of Jerusalem until you are endued with power from on high.
    So here we read a command to preach repentance and remission of sins, in His name (which is fulfilled in Acts 2). If we look at the preceding verse we see that the pronoun His refers to Christ. So repentance and remission of sins are to be preached in Jesus’ name! Where do we receive the remission of sins? Well, let’s look at what Jesus’ disciples did with this command:
    Acts 2:38 Then Peter said to them, 'Repent, and let every one of you be baptized in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins; and you shall receive the gift of the Holy Spirit.'
    So we have three different accounts of what Jesus’ commanded His apostles at the Great Commission. Now we look at how they obeyed Jesus’ words. We should take note that Jesus died after the Passover, was buried for 3 days and was then on the earth for 40 days after the resurrection (Acts 1:3). From the Passover until Pentecost is 50 days (Pente- means 50). So only about a week transpired between Jesus commission and Peter’s sermon on Pentecost. Surely they didn’t forget His command that fast. It is also interesting that Matthew, who later wrote Matt. 28:19 was present as well (Acts 1:13). We would expect him to stand up and stop Peter if he was preaching the wrong thing! (“Hey Pete, don’t you know that Jesus said . . . “) But we don’t see that. So we need to reconcile these two facts:

Jesus said this:
    They did this:
    Matthew 28:19 Go therefore and make disciples of all the nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy SpiritActs 2:38 Then Peter said unto them, Repent and be baptized, everyone of you in the name of Jesus Christ . . .

Now who would be in the best position to understand the meaning of Jesus’ words? Us, almost 2,000 years later, or His own disciples who He spoke them to. Throughout the book of Acts as we will see they routinely baptized people in Jesus’ name. And when we read the Epistles to the churches, we will find out that they too were baptized in Jesus’ name. So it is obvious that Jesus’ disciples understood the name of the Father, Son and Holy Ghost to be Jesus! NOWHERE in scripture do we find anyone being baptized using these words, only in Jesus’ name.
    Acts 4:12 Nor is there salvation in any other, for there is no other name under heaven given among men by which we must be saved. (Jesus – vs. 10)
    Although this verse may not be talking exclusively about baptism, we see that Jesus is the name by which we are saved, and that there is no other!
    Acts 8:12 But when they believed Philip as he preached the things concerning the kingdom of God and the name of Jesus Christ, both men and women were baptized.
    Acts 8:16 For as yet He had fallen upon none of them. They had only been baptized in the name of the Lord Jesus.
    Acts 10:48 And he commanded them to be baptized in the name of the Lord.
    Acts 19:5 When they heard this, they were baptized in the name of the Lord Jesus.
    Acts 22:16 'And now why are you waiting? Arise and be baptized, and wash away your sins, calling on the name of the Lord.'
    So Peter, John and the rest of the disciples baptized in the Jesus’ name throughout Jerusalem, Judea and Samaria. And Paul re-baptized the believers in Ephesus in Jesus' name (19:1-5). Now let’s look at some of the other churches:
    Romans 6:3 Or do you not know that as many of us as were baptized into Christ Jesus were baptized into His death?
    Romans 6:4 Therefore we were buried with Him through baptism into death, that just as Christ was raised from the dead by the glory of the Father, even so we also should walk in newness of life.
    The reason that we are baptized in Jesus’ name is that we are being baptized into Jesus. We are taking on his name, similar to the way a woman takes on her husband's name. We are saying that we belong to Jesus and we are identifying with Him in His death and burial. Even if God were a trinity, Jesus is the one who died for us and He is the one who the Christians at Rome were buried with.
    1 Corinthians 1:13 Is Christ divided? Was Paul crucified for you? Or were you baptized in the name of Paul?
    If we follow Paul’s train of thought, his obvious implication is “No, Christ was the one crucified for you and so you were baptized in the name of Christ” So the believers at Corinth as well as those in Rome were baptized in Jesus’ name.
    Galatians 3:27 For as many of you as were baptized into Christ have put on Christ.
    Colossians 2:11 In Him you were also circumcised with the circumcision made without hands, by putting off the body of the sins of the flesh, by the circumcision of Christ, 12 buried with Him in baptism, in which you also were raised with Him through faith in the working of God, who raised Him from the dead.
    In addition to those in Rome, Corinth and Ephesus (as well as Jerusalem, Judea and Samaria), we see that the Christians in Colosse and those in the region of Galatia were all baptized in Jesus’ name. They would not have connected baptism so exclusively with Christ had they routinely baptized using the words “Father, Son and Holy Spirit.” As I said before, the only way that we see anyone being baptized is in Jesus' name. When Jesus’ was on this earth, He baptized His disciples (John 4:1,2) and then commissioned them to go and baptize others in His name, or in His place. When Jesus baptized someone, He didn’t have to say “in Jesus name.” He was Jesus. But when we stand in his stead, we do it in his name. Scripture tells us that whatever we do in word or deed should be done in Jesus’ name (Col. 3:17). Baptism is an act of both word and deed.
    Finally, I would like to demonstrate where history shows us that the Catholic Church changed the way that people were baptized. From there on people continued to follow this tradition, probably because it fit so well with their Tr
    initarian doctrine:
    BRITANICA ENCYCLOPEDIA
    The baptismal formula was changed from the name of Jesus Christ to the words Father, Son & Holy Ghost by the Catholic Church in the Second Century. – 11th Edit., Vol. 3, ppg. 365-366.
    CANNEY ENCYCLOPEDIA OF RELIGION
    The early church always baptized in the name of the Lord Jesus until development of the Trinity Doctrine in the Second Century.
    CATHOLIC ENCYCLOPEDIA
    Here the Catholics acknowledged that baptism was changed by the Catholic Church. – Vol. 2, pg. 263.
    HASTINGS ENCYCLOPEDIA OF RELIGION
    Christian baptism was administered using the words, “in the name of Jesus.” – Vol. 2, pg. 377. Baptism was always in the name of Lord Jesus until time of Justin Martyr when Triune formula used. – Vol. 2, pg. 389. NAME was an ancient synonym for “person.” Payment was always made in the name of some person referring to ownership. Therefore one being baptized in Jesus’ name became His personal property. “Ye are Christ’s.” – Vol. 2, pg. 377 on Acts 2:38.

Tonycb
    Participant

Does the Mode or Formula Really Make any Difference?
    Does it make any difference what the Bible says about water baptism in the name of Jesus Christ? Opinions are plentiful. Almost everyone has some idea to contribute when a discussion of Christian baptism arises. Some argue pro and some argue con on the questions of whether candidates should be sprinkled or immersed and whether they should be baptized in the titles Father, Son, and Holy Ghost or in the name of Jesus Christ. Quite a few have recently raised the question, “Does it really make any difference?'

Our opinions are actually worthless; one person's idea is as good as another's. The only criterion in determining the truth is God's Word-the Bible. What does it have to say about the mode and formula for Christian baptism?

The Importance of Baptism

Christian baptism has its roots in Jewish practice during the pre-Christian era. Converts to Judaism were baptized to express their faith in Jehovah God. When John the Baptist came upon the scene to prepare the hearts of the Jews to receive their Messiah, he demanded repentance, confession of sin, and baptism in water. He declared, “I needed baptize you with water unto repentance: but he that cometh after me… shall baptize you with the Holy Ghost, and with fire” (Matthew 3:11).

Jesus Himself was baptized of Jon (Matthew 3:16). After this, He and His disciples baptized large numbers of believers (John 3:22;4:1-2). He included baptism as a vital part of the inauguration of a convert into the church He established (Mark 16:16).

After His resurrection, He instructed His apostles to “Go… teach all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost” (Matthew 28:19). Just before His ascension, He met with His apostles and “opened… their understanding, that they might understand the scripture, and said unto them, Thus it is written, and thus it behoved Christ to suffer, and to rise from the dead the third day: and that repentance and remission of sins should be preached in his name among all nations, beginning at Jerusalem' (Luke 24:45-47).

Therefore, the responsibility of continuing His ministry, propagating the gospel, and establishing and extending the New Testament church fell upon the relatively few disciples. Having their understanding opened to the will of God regarding the plan of redemption, they were filled with the Holy Ghost on the Day of Pentecost, which further enlightened their minds. When a curious multitude gathered to witness this historic event in Jerusalem, Peter preached a sermon that brought them under deep conviction for their sins. They asked the apostles, “What shall we do?” (Acts 2:37).

Peter's answer was unmistakably plain: “Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins, and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost” (Acts 2:38). Through the spiritual understanding that Peter had received, he was able to comprehend that the new birth consisted of water and Spirit baptism (John 3:5), that God had chosen the combination of the name and the water for remission of sins, and that the Lord intended for His name to be called in the act of baptism.

Likewise, Ananias instructed Paul, “Arise, and be baptized, and wash away thy sins, calling on the name of the Lord” (Acts 22:16).

The Mode of Baptism

The form or mode of water baptism is undeniably immersion. The very term baptize has for is root the Greek word baptizo, which means “to dip, plunge, submerge, immerse.” All scriptural incidents o f baptism support this position. Let us note these three: (John also was baptizing in Aenon… because there was much water there” (John 3:23). When Jesus was baptized by John, He “went up straightway out of the water, … and he baptized him” (Acts 8:38).

The Formula for Baptism

The Bible gives us specific instructions of deep spiritual significance for the proper administration of water baptism, and God means for everyone to comply with them.

The Apostle Paul commanded, “And whatsoever ye do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus” (Colossians 3:17). Certainly this instruction applies to water baptism.

The apostles knew the exact meaning of all the teaching of Jesus concerning baptism and carried them out explicitly. They understood that the singular name of the Father, Son and Holy Ghost-the name that reveals the fulness of the Godhead-is Jesus. (See Matthew 1:21; John 5:43; 14:26; Colossians 2:9). On every occasion they used, or commanded the use of, the name of Jesus Christ in the baptismal formula. (See Acts 2:38; 8:16; 10:48; 19:5; 22:16). It is significant that they plainly prescribed His name in the baptismal ceremony. The name Jesus identifies and validates the baptism just as the proper name signed to a check makes it valid.

We cannot leave to mere chance or speculation the essentials of Christian baptism, but we must heed Acts 4:12: “Neither is there salvation in any other: for there is none other name under heaven given among men, whereby we must be saved.”

True, some denominations have traditionally sprinkled instead of immersing and have mistakenly substituted the use of the titles Father, Son, and Holy Ghost for the use of the actual name Jesus. But those who are sincere will value truth above tradition and will obey the teaching of the gospel.

“Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins…”

Participant

Quote (gsilva72 @ May 07 2008,10:18)
    How is one to be baptised? In the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost, or in the name of Jesus? :p

Hi:

Water baptism is a work indicating that you have believed God's testimony regarding His Son and His Christ and that you have repented.  

Either formula is acceptable.  It is symbolic of your union with Jesus in his death, burial, resurrection.  This is what should be in your heart when you are baptized in water.  

You may have already received the Holy Ghost prior to being baptized in water or you may receive it after you are baptized.  It is the blood of Jesus and not the water that has washed away your sins.

gsilva72
    Participant

I still believe it is in the name of Jesus. It's kind of like when a wife takes on the last name of the husband. Also Acts 4:12(NKJV) declares ” Nor is there salvation in any other, for there is no other name under heaven given among men by which we must be saved.”

Tonycb
    Participant

The Baptismal Formula in Scripture and History

According to both the Bible and history, the New Testament church invoked the name of Jesus at water baptism. Its baptismal formula was “in the name of Jesus Christ” or “Lord Jesus,” not “in the name of the Father, Son, and Holy Ghost.”
    The Scriptural Record

Every time the Bible records the name or formula associated with an actual baptism in the New Testament church, it describes the name Jesus. All five such accounts occur in the Book of Acts, the history book of the early church. It records that the following people were baptized in Jesus' name.

The Jews, “Then Peter said unto them, Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins, and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost” (Acts 2:38).

The Samaritans. “They were baptized in the name of the Lord Jesus' (Acts 8:16).

The Gentiles. “And he commanded them to be baptized in the name of the Lord” (Acts 10:48). (The earliest Greek manuscripts that we have say, “In the name of Jesus Christ,” as do most versions today.)

The disciples of John (rebaptized). “They were baptized in the name of the Lord Jesus” (Acts 19:5).

The Apostles Paul. “Arise, and be baptized, and wash away thy sins, calling on the name of the Lord” (Acts 22:16).

Moreover, the Epistles contain a number of references or allusions to baptism in Jesus' name. See Romans 6:3-4; I Corinthians 1:13; 6:11; Galatians 3:27 ; Colossians 2:12; James 2:7.

The only verse of Scripture that anyone could appeal to in support of a threefold baptismal formula is Matthew 28:19, in which Jesus commanded baptism “in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost.” The word name in this verse is singular, however, indicating that the phrase describes on supreme name by which the one God is revealed, not three names of three distinct persons.

The apostles understood Christ's words as a description of His own name, for they fulfilled His command by baptizing in the name of Jesus. There is only one God (Deuteronomy 6:4), and He has one supreme name today (Zechariah 14:9). Jesus is the incarnation of all the fulness of the Godhead (Colossians 2:9). Jesus is the name of the Son (Matthew 1:21), Jesus is the name by which the Father is revealed to us (John 5:43; 10:30; 14:9-11), and Jesus is the name in which the Holy Spirit comes (John 14:16-18, 26).

Luke 24:47 is a parallel verse to Matthew 28:19, and describes Jesus as saying that repentance and remission of sins-and baptism is for the remission of sins (Acts 2:38)-would be preached “in his name.” Jesus is the only saving name, the name in which we receive remission of sins, the highest name made known to us, and the name which we are to say and do all things (Acts 4:12; 10:43; Philippians 2:9-11; Colossians 3:17).

Thus the one supreme, saving name of Matthew 28:19 is Jesus. We are to fulfill the command of that verse as the early church did, by invoking the name of Jesus at baptism.

The Historical Record

Respected historical sources verify that the early Christian church did not use a threefold baptismal formula but invoked the name of Jesus in baptism well into the second and third centuries.

Encyclopedia of Religion and Ethics (1951). II, 384, 389: “The formula used was “in the name of the Lord Jesus Christ” or some synonymous phrase; there is no evidence for the use of the trine name… The earliest form, represented in the Acts, was simple immersion… in water, the use of the name of the Lord, and the laying on of hands. To these were added, at various times and places which cannot be safely identified, (a) the trine name (Justin)…”

Interpreter's Dictionary of the Bible (1962), I 351: “The evidence… suggests that baptism in early Christianity was administered, not in the threefold name, but 'in the name of Jesus Christ' or 'in the name of the Lord Jesus.'”

Otto Heick, A History of Christian Thought (1965), I, 53: “At first baptism was administered in the name of Jesus, but gradually in the name of the Triune God: Father, Son, and Holy Spirit.

Hasting's Dictionary of the Bible (1898). I, 241: “[One explanation is that] the original form of words was “into the name of Jesus Christ” or 'the Lord Jesus,' Baptism into the name of the Trinity was a later development.”

Williston Walker, A History of the Christian Church (1947), page 58: “The trinitarian baptismal formula,,, was displacing the older baptism in the name of Christ.”

The New Schaff-Herzog Encyclopedia of Religious Knowledge (1957), I, 435: “The New Testament knows only baptism in the name of Jesus… which still occurs even in the second and third centuries.”

Canney's Encyclopedia of Religions (1970), page 53: “Persons were baptized at first 'in the name of Jesus Christ' … or 'in the name of the Lord Jesus'… Afterwards, with the development of the doctrine of the Trinity, they were baptized 'in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Ghost.'”

Encyclopedia Biblica (1899), I, 473: “It is natural to conclude that baptism was administered in the earliest times 'in the name of Jesus Christ,' or in that 'of the Lord Jesus.' This view is confirmed by the fact that the earliest forms of the baptismal confession appear to have been single-not triple, as was the later creed.”

Encyclopedia Britannica, 11th ed. (1920), II 365: “The trinitarian formula and trine immersion were not uniformly used from the beginning… Bapti[sm] into the name of the Lord [was] the normal formula of the New Testament. In the 3rd century baptism in the name of Christ was still so widespread that Pope Stephen, in opposition to Cyprian of Carthage, declared it to be valid.”

Christians today should use the biblical baptismal formula as found in the New Testament. Everyone should be baptized by immersion in the name of the Lord Jesus Christ for the remission of sins.

gsilva72
    Participant

Water baptism is not optional either as some believe, hence Acts 10:48 “And he commanded them to be baptized in the name of the Lord. Then they asked him to stay a few days.”:)

Tonycb
    Participant

The Truth About Water Baptism!

IS WATER BAPTISM ESSENTIAL TO SALVATION?

Jesus commanded, “Go ye into all the world, and preach the gospel to every creature. He that believeth and is BAPTIZED shall be saved; but he that believeth not shall be damned.” Mark 16:15, 16. Jesus said to Nicodemus, “Except a man be born of WATER and of the SPIRIT, he cannot enter into the kingdom of God.” John 3:5.
    Paul said, “Not by works of righteousness which we have done, but according to His mercy He saved us. (How?) by the WASHIING of regeneration, and renewing of the Holy Ghost.” Titus 3:5.
    “In the days of Noah, while the ark was a preparing, wherein few, that is eight souls were saved by WATER. The like figure whereunto even BAPTISM DOTH ALSO NOW SAVE US.” 1 Peter 3:20, 21. On the day of Pentecost, Peter preached, “Repent, and be BAPTIZED everyone of you in the Name of Jesus Christ FOR THE REMISSION OF SINS…” Acts 2:38. To the Gentiles Peter said, “Can any man forbid water, that these should not be baptized…? And he COMMANDED THEM TO BE BAPTIZED…” Acts 10:47, 48.
    Water baptism is necessary for the remission of sins, and is also an act of obedience to the command of Christ. Therefore, it is definitely essential to salvation.

WHAT IS THE CORRECT MODE FOR WATER BAPTISM?

The word baptize is derived from the Greek word “baptizo” which means to dip, immerse, plunge or sink. Greek-English Lexicon. A careful study of the New Testament Church will prove that immersion was the original mode used for water baptism.
    Paul said, “We are BURIED with Him by baptism.” Romans 6:4. When Jesus was baptized by John in the Jordan River, He came straightway up out of the water. Mark 1:9, 10. When Philip baptized the eunuch, both went down into the water and then came up out of it. Acts 8:36-39.
    World Book Encyclopedia, 1984 Edition, Vol. B, p. 71, 72—The “Early Christians” practiced immersion (submerging a person in water) as a method of baptism.
    Encyclopedia International, 1982 Edition, Vol. 2, p. 378—The original mode of baptism was by immersion of the entire body in water, but a wide accepted method since the 2nd century has been baptism by affusion (pouring) water on the head employed by the Roman Catholic Church).
    New Catholic Encyclopedia, 1977 Edition, Vol. 2 p. 56—It is evident that Baptism in the early Church was by immersion. Vol. 2, p. 65—The Didache (Christian writings around the second and third centuries) and Cyprian (Bishop of Carthage) are generally cited as the earliest evidence for the allowance of affusion instead of immersion. Baptism by sprinkling is admitted by the present discipline of the church (Roman Catholic).
    Nowhere will you find that the New Testament Church baptized by sprinkling or pouring. They baptized by immersion of the entire body in water.

WHAT IS THE CORRECT FORMULA FOR WATER BAPTISM?

“Go ye therefore, and teach all nations, baptizing them in the Name of the Father, and of the Son and of the Holy Ghost.” Matthew 28:19. Confusion has been left in the minds of people, because of the misinterpretation of this Scripture by some who have used the words Father, Son and Holy Ghost as a formula for water baptism and a basis for the Trinity doctrine. Matthew 28:19 was neither intended to be used as a formula, nor was it meant to support the Trinity doctrine. It is the commission to the eleven apostles and must be fulfilled. Notice that Jesus said, “…baptizing them in the NAME (singular).” Father, Son and Holy Ghost are only titles or offices of the one true and living God — This is not His Name! To repeat the titles and refuse to state the Name is failure to fulfill the commission of Christ. Therefore, to obey the commission, the NAME must be used. What is the NAME of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost?
    Name of Father — Jesus said, “I am come in my Father’s Name.” John 5:43.
    Name of Son — “And she shall bring forth a son, and thou shalt call His Name JESUS.” Matthew 1:21. (Also see Luke 1:31.)
    Name of the Holy Ghost — Jesus said, “The Comforter, which is the Holy Ghost, whom the Father will send in MY NAME, He shall teach you all things.” John 14:26.
    Emphatically the NAME IS JESUS! Paul declared the Name of the Lord Jesus Christ of whom the whole family in heaven and earth is named. Ephesians 3:14, 15.
    Then Jesus opened the understanding of the disciples to the Scriptures, and said, “…That repentance and REMISSION OF SINS should be preached IN HIS NAME among all nations, beginning at Jerusalem.” Luke 24:45, 47.
    In obedience to Christ, Peter stood with the other apostles in Jerusalem on the day of Pentecost, and fulfilled the commission when he said, “Repent, and be baptized everyone of you in the NAME OF JESUS CHRIST for the remission of sins, and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost.” Acts 2:38. To question the words of Peter is to doubt the divine wisdom of Heaven. Matthew 16:13-19. Certainly the apostles were authorities on the correct formula for water baptism. (Also see Ephesians 2:20.)
    When Philip preached Christ in Samaria, they that believed were baptized in the Name of the Lord Jesus. Acts 8:16.
    To the Gentiles at the house of Cornelius in Caesarea, Peter said, “Can any man forbid water that these should not be baptized, which have received the Holy Ghost as well as we? And he commanded them to be baptized in the Name of the Lord.” (R.V., Weymouth, Vulgate — “Name of Jesus Christ.”) Acts 10:47-48.
    According to Paul’s testimony, he was baptized, washing away his sins, calling on the Name of the Lord (R.V. — “His Name.”) Acts 22:16.
    The believers in the church at Rome were baptized into Jesus Christ. Paul said, “Know ye not, that so many of us as were baptized into Jesus Christ were baptized into His death? Therefore we are buried with Him by baptism…” Romans 6:3, 4.
    To the church in Corinth, Paul asked the question, “Is Christ divided? Was Paul crucified for you? or were ye baptized in the name of Paul?” 1 Corinthians 1:12-15. This indicated that Jesus was crucified and they were baptized in His Name.
    The believers in the churches of Galatia were baptized into Christ. Paul said, “For as many as have been baptized into Christ have put on Christ.” Galatians 3:27.
    Certain disciples at Ephesus were REBAPTIZED in the Name of the Lord Jesus, when they heard the preaching of the apostle Paul. Acts 19:4-5.
    The believers in the church of Colosse were buried with Christ in baptism. Paul said, “Ye are circumcised with the circumcision made without hands, in putting off the body of the sins of the flesh by the circumcision of Christ: Buried with Him in baptism…” Colossians 2:11, 12.
    History also proves that water baptism in the Name of the Lord Jesus Christ was universally practiced by the New Testament Church for many years after Christ, and was changed by the Roman Catholic Church with the development of the Trinity.
    Dictionary of the Bible by James Hastings, Thirteenth Edition, Vol. 1, p. 241 — The original form of words was “into the Name of Jesus Christ” or “the Lord Jesus.” Baptism into the Trinity was a later development. (Also see Hastings’ Dictionary of the Bible, Revised Edition, Vol. 1, p. 88.)
    Canney Encyclopedia, p. 53 — The early church always baptized in the Name of the Lord Jesus until the development of the Trinity, afterwards they were baptized in the Name of the Father, Son and Holy Ghost.
    New Catholic Encyclopedia, 1977 Edition, Vol. 13, p. 1012 — The first use of the Latin word “trinitas” (trinity) with reference to God is found in Tertullian’s writing (about 213 A.D.). He was the first to use the term “persons” (plural) in a Trinitarian context. (Also see Encyclopedia Americana, 1983 Edition, Vol. 26, p. 527.)
    Encyclopedia Americana, 1957 Edition, Vol. 27, p. 69 — The word “Trinity” is not in Scripture. The term persons (plural) is
    not applied in Scripture to the Trinity.
    World Book Encyclopedia, 2004 Edition, Vol. T, p. 447 — “Belief in Father, Son and Holy Spirit was defined by early general councils of the Christian Church. The council of Nicaea in 325 and the council of Constantinople in 381…” (For Nicene Creed see Encyclopedia Americana, 2004 Edition, Vol. 20, p. 310.)
    Brittanica Encyclopedia, Eleventh Edition, Vol. 3, p. 365, 366 — “The triune and trinity formula was not used from the beginning, and up until the third century, baptism in the Name of Christ only was wide-spread…” (Baptismal formula changed by the Roman Catholic Church). “Now the formula of Rome is I baptize thee in the Name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Ghost.”
    New International Encyclopedia, Vol. 22, p. 476 — The Trinity doctrine, the Catholic Faith is this: We worship one in trinity, but there is one person of the Father, another of the Son and another of the Holy Ghost. The Glory equal; the Majesty coeternal. The doctrine is not found in its fully developed form in the Scriptures. Modern Theology does not seek to find it in the Old Testament. At the time of the Reformation the Protestant Church took over the doctrine of the Trinity without serious examination.
    Encyclopedia International, 1982 Edition, Vol. 18, p. 226 — The doctrine of the Trinity did not form part of the apostles’ preaching, as this is reported in the New Testament.
    International Standard Bible Encyclopedia, Vol. 1, p. 396 — No record of the Trinitarian formula can be discovered in the Acts of the Epistles of the Apostles.
    Is this not sufficient proof? Nowhere, absolutely nowhere, will you find that the New Testament Church baptized using the words Father, Son and Holy Ghost. They baptized in the Name of the Lord Jesus Christ.
    Honest hearts, receive the truth! It is of utmost importance that water baptism be applied in the Name of the Lord Jesus Christ. “Neither is there salvation in any other; for there is NONE OTHER NAME under Heaven given among men, whereby we must be saved.” Acts 4:12.
    “Beware lest any man spoil you through philosophy and vain deceit, after the tradition of men, after the rudiments of the world, and not after Christ. For IN HIM DWELLTH ALL the fullness of the Godhead bodily, and ye are COMPLETE IN HIM, which is the head of all principality and power: In whom also ye are… BURIED WITH HIM IN BAPTISM, wherein also ye are risen with Him through the faith of the operation of God, who hath raised Him from the dead.” Colossians 2:8-12. Ye are WASHED, ye are sanctified, ye are justified IN THE NAME OF THE LORD JESUS, and by the Spirit of our God. 1 Corinthians 6:11. “Whatsoever ye do in word or deed, DO ALL IN THE NAME OF THE LORD JESUS.” Colossians 3:17. There is only ONE LORD, ONE FAITH, AND ONE BAPTISM. Ephesians 4:5.
    “Ye shall know the truth and the truth shall make you free.” John 8:32.

Tonycb
    Participant

Jesus commanded, “Go ye into all the world, and preach the gospel to every creature. He that believeth and is BAPTIZED shall be saved; but he that believeth not shall be damned.” Mark 16:15, 16. Jesus said to Nicodemus, “Except a man be born of WATER and of the SPIRIT, he cannot enter into the kingdom of God.” John 3:5.
    Paul said, “Not by works of righteousness which we have done, but according to His mercy He saved us. (How?) by the WASHIING of regeneration, and renewing of the Holy Ghost.” Titus 3:5.
    “In the days of Noah, while the ark was a preparing, wherein few, that is eight souls were saved by WATER. The like figure whereunto even BAPTISM DOTH ALSO NOW SAVE US.” 1 Peter 3:20, 21. On the day of Pentecost, Peter preached, “Repent, and be BAPTIZED everyone of you in the Name of Jesus Christ FOR THE REMISSION OF SINS…” Acts 2:38. To the Gentiles Peter said, “Can any man forbid water, that these should not be baptized…? And he COMMANDED THEM TO BE BAPTIZED…” Acts 10:47, 48.
    Water baptism is necessary for the remission of sins, and is also an act of obedience to the command of Christ. Therefore, it is definitely essential to salvation.

The word baptize is derived from the Greek word “baptizo” which means to dip, immerse, plunge or sink. Greek-English Lexicon. A careful study of the New Testament Church will prove that immersion was the original mode used for water baptism.
    Paul said, “We are BURIED with Him by baptism.” Romans 6:4. When Jesus was baptized by John in the Jordan River, He came straightway up out of the water. Mark 1:9, 10. When Philip baptized the eunuch, both went down into the water and then came up out of it. Acts 8:36-39.
    World Book Encyclopedia, 1984 Edition, Vol. B, p. 71, 72—The “Early Christians” practiced immersion (submerging a person in water) as a method of baptism.
    Encyclopedia International, 1982 Edition, Vol. 2, p. 378—The original mode of baptism was by immersion of the entire body in water, but a wide accepted method since the 2nd century has been baptism by affusion (pouring) water on the head employed by the Roman Catholic Church).
    New Catholic Encyclopedia, 1977 Edition, Vol. 2 p. 56—It is evident that Baptism in the early Church was by immersion. Vol. 2, p. 65—The Didache (Christian writings around the second and third centuries) and Cyprian (Bishop of Carthage) are generally cited as the earliest evidence for the allowance of affusion instead of immersion. Baptism by sprinkling is admitted by the present discipline of the church (Roman Catholic).
    Nowhere will you find that the New Testament Church baptized by sprinkling or pouring. They baptized by immersion of the entire body in water.

“Go ye therefore, and teach all nations, baptizing them in the Name of the Father, and of the Son and of the Holy Ghost.” Matthew 28:19. Confusion has been left in the minds of people, because of the misinterpretation of this Scripture by some who have used the words Father, Son and Holy Ghost as a formula for water baptism and a basis for the Trinity doctrine. Matthew 28:19 was neither intended to be used as a formula, nor was it meant to support the Trinity doctrine. It is the commission to the eleven apostles and must be fulfilled. Notice that Jesus said, “…baptizing them in the NAME (singular).” Father, Son and Holy Ghost are only titles or offices of the one true and living God — This is not His Name! To repeat the titles and refuse to state the Name is failure to fulfill the commission of Christ. Therefore, to obey the commission, the NAME must be used. What is the NAME of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost?
    Name of Son — “And she shall bring forth a son, and thou shalt call His Name JESUS.” Matthew 1:21. (Also see Luke 1:31.)
    Name of the Holy Ghost — Jesus said, “The Comforter, which is the Holy Ghost, whom the Father will send in MY NAME, He shall teach you all things.” John 14:26.
    Emphatically the NAME IS JESUS! Paul declared the Name of the Lord Jesus Christ of whom the whole family in heaven and earth is named. Ephesians 3:14, 15.
    Then Jesus opened the understanding of the disciples to the Scriptures, and said, “…That repentance and REMISSION OF SINS should be preached IN HIS NAME among all nations, beginning at Jerusalem.” Luke 24:45, 47.
    In obedience to Christ, Peter stood with the other apostles in Jerusalem on the day of Pentecost, and fulfilled the commission when he said, “Repent, and be baptized everyone of you in the NAME OF JESUS CHRIST for the remission of sins, and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost.” Acts 2:38. To question the words of Peter is to doubt the divine wisdom of Heaven. Matthew 16:13-19. Certainly the apostles were authorities on the correct formula for water baptism. (Also see Ephesians 2:20.)
    When Philip preached Christ in Samaria, they that believed were baptized in the Name of the Lord Jesus. Acts 8:16.
    To the Gentiles at the house of Cornelius in Caesarea, Peter said, “Can any man forbid water that these should not be baptized, which have received the Holy Ghost as well as we? And he commanded them to be baptized in the Name of the Lord.” (R.V., Weymouth, Vulgate — “Name of Jesus Christ.”) Acts 10:47-48.
    According to Paul’s testimony, he was baptized, washing away his sins, calling on the Name of the Lord (R.V. — “His Name.”) Acts 22:16.
    The believers in the church at Rome were baptized into Jesus Christ. Paul said, “Know ye not, that so many of us as were baptized into Jesus Christ were baptized into His death? Therefore we are buried with Him by baptism…” Romans 6:3, 4.
    To the church in Corinth, Paul asked the question, “Is Christ divided? Was Paul crucified for you? or were ye baptized in the name of Paul?” 1 Corinthians 1:12-15. This indicated that Jesus was crucified and they were baptized in His Name.
    The believers in the churches of Galatia were baptized into Christ. Paul said, “For as many as have been baptized into Christ have put on Christ.” Galatians 3:27.
    Certain disciples at Ephesus were REBAPTIZED in the Name of the Lord Jesus, when they heard the preaching of the apostle Paul. Acts 19:4-5.
    The believers in the church of Colosse were buried with Christ in baptism. Paul said, “Ye are circumcised with the circumcision made without hands, in putting off the body of the sins of the flesh by the circumcision of Christ: Buried with Him in baptism…” Colossians 2:11, 12.
    History also proves that water baptism in the Name of the Lord Jesus Christ was universally practiced by the New Testament Church for many years after Christ, and was changed by the Roman Catholic Church with the development of the Trinity.
    Dictionary of the Bible by James Hastings, Thirteenth Edition, Vol. 1, p. 241 — The original form of words was “into the Name of Jesus Christ” or “the Lord Jesus.” Baptism into the Trinity was a later development. (Also see Hastings’ Dictionary of the Bible, Revised Edition, Vol. 1, p. 88.)
    Canney Encyclopedia, p. 53 — The early church always baptized in the Name of the Lord Jesus until the development of the Trinity, afterwards they were baptized in the Name of the Father, Son and Holy Ghost.
    New Catholic Encyclopedia, 1977 Edition, Vol. 13, p. 1012 — The first use of the Latin word “trinitas” (trinity) with reference to God is found in Tertullian’s writing (about 213 A.D.). He was the first to use the term “persons” (plural) in a Trinitarian context. (Also see Encyclopedia Americana, 1983 Edition, Vol. 26, p. 527.)
    Encyclopedia Americana, 1957 Edition, Vol. 27, p. 69 — The word “Trinity” is not in Scripture. The term persons (plural) is not applied in Scripture to th
    e Trinity.
    World Book Encyclopedia, 2004 Edition, Vol. T, p. 447 — “Belief in Father, Son and Holy Spirit was defined by early general councils of the Christian Church. The council of Nicaea in 325 and the council of Constantinople in 381…” (For Nicene Creed see Encyclopedia Americana, 2004 Edition, Vol. 20, p. 310.)
    Brittanica Encyclopedia, Eleventh Edition, Vol. 3, p. 365, 366 — “The triune and trinity formula was not used from the beginning, and up until the third century, baptism in the Name of Christ only was wide-spread…” (Baptismal formula changed by the Roman Catholic Church). “Now the formula of Rome is I baptize thee in the Name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Ghost.”
    New International Encyclopedia, Vol. 22, p. 476 — The Trinity doctrine, the Catholic Faith is this: We worship one in trinity, but there is one person of the Father, another of the Son and another of the Holy Ghost. The Glory equal; the Majesty coeternal. The doctrine is not found in its fully developed form in the Scriptures. Modern Theology does not seek to find it in the Old Testament. At the time of the Reformation the Protestant Church took over the doctrine of the Trinity without serious examination.
    Encyclopedia International, 1982 Edition, Vol. 18, p. 226 — The doctrine of the Trinity did not form part of the apostles’ preaching, as this is reported in the New Testament.
    International Standard Bible Encyclopedia, Vol. 1, p. 396 — No record of the Trinitarian formula can be discovered in the Acts of the Epistles of the Apostles.
    Is this not sufficient proof? Nowhere, absolutely nowhere, will you find that the New Testament Church baptized using the words Father, Son and Holy Ghost. They baptized in the Name of the Lord Jesus Christ.
    Honest hearts, receive the truth! It is of utmost importance that water baptism be applied in the Name of the Lord Jesus Christ. “Neither is there salvation in any other; for there is NONE OTHER NAME under Heaven given among men, whereby we must be saved.” Acts 4:12.
    “Beware lest any man spoil you through philosophy and vain deceit, after the tradition of men, after the rudiments of the world, and not after Christ. For IN HIM DWELLTH ALL the fullness of the Godhead bodily, and ye are COMPLETE IN HIM, which is the head of all principality and power: In whom also ye are… BURIED WITH HIM IN BAPTISM, wherein also ye are risen with Him through the faith of the operation of God, who hath raised Him from the dead.” Colossians 2:8-12. Ye are WASHED, ye are sanctified, ye are justified IN THE NAME OF THE LORD JESUS, and by the Spirit of our God. 1 Corinthians 6:11. “Whatsoever ye do in word or deed, DO ALL IN THE NAME OF THE LORD JESUS.” Colossians 3:17. There is only ONE LORD, ONE FAITH, AND ONE BAPTISM. Ephesians 4:5.

Tonycb
    Participant

Encyclopedia Americana, 1957 Edition, Vol. 27, p. 69 — The word “Trinity” is not in Scripture. The term persons (plural) is not applied in Scripture to th
    e Trinity.

Not3in1
    Participant

Tony, are these your words? Where are you cutting and pasting from? Thanks.

Shania
    Participant

The name of the Father is YHWH [Yahweh/ Yahuweh.]
    The name of the Son is Yahushua. [YHWH + oshea(salvation)] His name is literally, “Yahuweh is Salvation”
    The Spirit is the Father.

Thus, the name of the Father/ the son/ the holy spirit is “Yahushua” in english, “Jesus”

Scripture says that the son inherited the Father's name, to the esteem of the Father. Everything that Yahushua [Jesus] did directed all attention to the Father. YHWH is salvation, through Yahushua.

John 17:11-12
    Holy Father, protect them by the power of your name — the name you gave me — so that they may be one as we are one. 12 While I was with them, I protected them and kept them safe by that name you gave me.
    NIV

John 5:42-43
    43 I have come in my Father's name , and you do not accept me;
    NIV

Acts 4:12

12 Salvation is found in no one else, for there is no other name under heaven given to men by which we must be saved.”
    NIV

Phil 2:9-11
    9 Therefore God exalted him to the highest place
    and gave him the name that is above every name ,
    10 that at the name of Jesus every knee should bow,
    in heaven and on earth and under the earth,
    11 and every tongue confess that Jesus Christ is Lord,
    to the glory of God the Father.
    NIV

Heb 1:4
    4 So he became as much superior to the angels as the name he has inherited is superior to theirs.
    NIV

Rev 14:1
    14:1 Then I looked, and there before me was the Lamb, standing on Mount Zion, and with him 144,000 who had his name and his Father's name written on their foreheads.
    NIV

The name above all names is the name of the Father in the Son….

Is this more understandable now?

Viewing 20 posts - 521 through 540 (of 4,344 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 1999 - 2024 Heaven Net

Navigation

© 1999 - 2023 - Heaven Net
or

or    

Forgot your details?

or

Create Account