Is baptism needed for salvation?

Viewing 20 posts - 361 through 380 (of 4,344 total)
  • Author
    Proclaimer
    Participant

To heiscomingintheclouds,

Acts 8:36-39
    36 As they traveled along the road, they came to some water and the eunuch said, “Look, here is water. Why shouldn't I be baptized?”
    38 And he gave orders to stop the chariot. Then both Philip and the eunuch went down into the water and Philip baptized him.
    39 When they came up out of the water, the Spirit of the Lord suddenly took Philip away, and the eunuch did not see him again, but went on his way rejoicing.

Some late manuscripts say:
    Acts 8:37
    Philip said, “If you believe with all your heart, you may.” The eunuch answered, “I believe that Jesus Christ is the Son of God.”

Either way he was baptised and also the eunuch asked to be baptised, so Phillip must have included baptism in the gospel that he preached.

Proclaimer
    Participant

Quote (heiscomingintheclouds @ July 06 2006,19:36)
    2 Corinthians 5:17 Therefore if any man be in Christ, he is a new creature: old things are passed away; behold, all things are become new.

Also we are in Christ by being baptised into him.

Galatians 3:27
    “For as many of you as were baptized into Christ have put on Christ.”

NickHassan
    Participant

Quote (heiscomingintheclouds @ July 06 2006,00:42)
    Nick, what am I teaching that is not in the bible?

Hi H,
    Salvation by faith alone.
    Baptism in water is an optional extra.

kenrch
    Participant

I don't know of any church that will open their door to baptize someone say at 3 in the morning? In fact you would probably have to wait until the following worship day which could be one week away.

On the way home the person has a heart attack (very young people have heart attacks too) and dies. Almighty LOVE is going to tell him he is doomed. While the thief on the cross is awaiting paradise! Uh?

Sorry but I don't understand why God would do that. Especially since not one of you who is sin would do that to your son. Would you?

NickHassan
    Participant

Quote (t8 @ July 06 2006,00:47)

Quote (heiscomingintheclouds @ July 06 2006,19:36)
    2 Corinthians 5:17 Therefore if any man be in Christ, he is a new creature: old things are passed away; behold, all things are become new.

Also we are in Christ by being baptised into him.

Galatians 3:27
    “For as many of you as were baptized into Christ have put on Christ.”

Amen t8
    and Coll 2.12
    “having been buried with him in baptism, in which you were also raised up with him through faith in the working of God, who raised him from the dead.”
    Water baptism in faith and repentance, in obedience to the command of God, brings about the “working of God”, the inner cleansing by the blood of the Lamb.

Amen. The church I fellowship in baptize as quickly as possible. We do the baptism of the Holy Spirit on the spot. Baptism is important, but to say one will lose his salvation because he has not be baptized is to put words into the mouth of God. God will decide in these matters. It is expedient that we urge one who is saved to have the baptisms, but it does not save you. It is by the grace of God we are saved. The forgiveness of sins. The washing away of our sins by the blood of the lamb. It is the inward man, the heart of the man that is changed. Salvation is a matter of the heart. The OT law was written in stone and was physical. The NT law is written in the fleshly tablets of our hearts by the Spirit of God in our faith in his Son.

Proclaimer
    Participant

Acts 16:30-33
    30 He then brought them out and asked, “Sirs, what must I do to be saved?”
    31 They replied, “Believe in the Lord Jesus, and you will be saved—you and your household.”
    32 Then they spoke the word of the Lord to him and to all the others in his house.
    33 At that hour of the night the jailer took them and washed their wounds; then immediately he and all his family were baptized.

First, we know from the rest of scripture that salvation is by faith, not by something we do. (Romans 3:28-30).
    Second, we can see from other scriptures that baptism follows faith.

If we believe we will be baptised. We also know that if we believe not we are condemned and consequently will most likely not be baptised.

Mark 16:16
    Whoever believes and is baptized will be saved, but whoever does not believe will be condemned.

So belief and baptism go hand in hand. Belief first then baptism.

I do not see the point in going beyond this, and into speculations.

Dear t8,

When we are washed in the blood of the lamb, we are baptized into Christ. We are not baptized in the name of Christ. There is a difference. You must examine word for word brother. The scriptures below are not talking about water baptism brother. They are talking about the baptism that happens when a man is saved. It is the baptism that cleanses us of our sins.

Acts 22:16 Now why do you wait? Arise, be baptized, and wash away your sins, calling on the name of the Lord.'

Romans 6:3 Know ye not, that so many of us as were baptized into Jesus Christ were baptized into his death?

4 Therefore we are buried with him by baptism into death: that like as Christ was raised up from the dead by the glory of the Father, even so we also should walk in newness of life.

5 For if we have been planted together in the likeness of his death, we shall be also in the likeness of his resurrection:

6 Knowing this, that our old man is crucified with him, that the body of sin might be destroyed, that henceforth we should not serve sin.

7 For he that is dead is freed from sin.

I included this scripture because it tells that the water baptism is the symbol of the baptism that saves us. It is our statement to the world that we are new creatures in Christ. It is for a good conscience towards God.

1 Peter 3:21 The like figure whereunto even baptism doth also now save us (not the putting away of the filth of the flesh, but the answer of a good conscience toward God,) by the resurrection of Jesus Christ:

Proclaimer
    Participant

33 At that hour of the night the jailer took them and washed their wounds; then immediately he and all his family were baptized.

So are you saying that the baptism above is not water baptism?

That is exactly what I am saying. It is the baptism that we are all baptized into Christ with. It is what cleanses us all and it is the one thing that sets us apart from the world, the blood of the lamb.

NickHassan
    Participant

Hi H,
    Except that you alone call it baptism without support from scripture, and you take it upon yourself to ascribe to all the baptisms in the book what you believe them to mean. Then you want us to believe you?

Proclaimer
    Participant

To heiscomingintheclouds,

I find it hard to believe that the jailer wasn't baptised in water.
    Why would the baptism of the eunuch in Acts 8:36-39 be different to the jailer in Acts 16:30-33

Acts 8:36-39
    36 As they traveled along the road, they came to some water and the eunuch said, “Look, here is water. Why shouldn't I be baptized?”
    38 And he gave orders to stop the chariot. Then both Philip and the eunuch went down into the water and Philip baptized him.
    39 When they came up out of the water, the Spirit of the Lord suddenly took Philip away, and the eunuch did not see him again, but went on his way rejoicing.

Acts 16:30-33
    30 He then brought them out and asked, “Sirs, what must I do to be saved?”
    31 They replied, “Believe in the Lord Jesus, and you will be saved—you and your household.”
    32 Then they spoke the word of the Lord to him and to all the others in his house.

Woutlaw
    Participant

hey Guys,

Look closer @ Acts 16:33

The jailer washed their wounds, so that implies that water was present!!!!!!!!

NickHassan
    Participant

Hi Woutlaw,
    In my view unless otherwise specified baptism means water baptism.
    God is not a God of confusion but a God of peace and we have had people on here saying baptism always means Spirit baptism, and now H says it means what he alone calls 'baptism in the blood'.

If God wants us to read it as another form of baptism He says so.
    He qualifies the word for us.

But the other baptisms are so called because they follow the type of water baptism.

Proclaimer
    Participant

That's what I would have thought Woutlaw.

When we are baptised we recieve the gift of the Holy Spirit.
    So I cannot see them not being baptised in water. Peter commanded us to be baptised. And our foundation is Christ, the Apostles, and Prophets.

I would prefer to listen to them.

Acts 2:38
    Peter replied, “Repent and be baptized, every one of you, in the name of Jesus Christ for the forgiveness of your sins. And you will receive the gift of the Holy Spirit.

In Acts we see that they baptised in water. That is good enough for me.

Dear Woutlaw,

You are correct brother. They were told to believe first and then they were taken and baptized by water.

NickHassan
    Participant

Hi H,
    Do not forget “REPENT”as well. Belief alone is useless. Even demons believe.

Proclaimer
    Participant

You are correct brother. They were told to believe first and then they were taken and baptized by water.

Good. We all seem to be in agreement on that.

:)

Amen Nick,

We must repent. That is what I did. I asked Jesus to forgive me of my sins and he washed my sins away with his blood. Just as it says in scripture.

Proclaimer
    Participant

Hi Nick.

I think that they believed the gospel, not just specific “believe on the Lord Jesus” part. After the message to believe to be saved, they then spoke the word of the Lord to him and to all the others in his house.

I would assume that the word of the Lord included repentance and then baptism.

The belief part is absolutely necessary and if the hearer responds, then they are told what to do and that I would assume is repentance and baptism.

What do you think?

Viewing 20 posts - 361 through 380 (of 4,344 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 1999 - 2024 Heaven Net

Navigation

© 1999 - 2023 - Heaven Net
or

or    

Forgot your details?

or

Create Account