Internet forums

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 20 posts - 21 through 40 (of 56 total)
  • Author
    mikeboll64
    Blocked

Quote (dew @ Mar. 22 2012,22:25)
    Hi.
    I would like to ask a question to all members here.
    Are the Internet forums any good for your faith?
    Is debating over the meaning of things as believers good for you?

Is the cup half empty or half full?

Dew, I believe that almost every choice we make on a minute by minute basis has the potential to end up as a good situation or a bad one.

It is what we take away from those many situations that cause us to consider them a good situation or a bad one, IMO.

If I had joined a church, and listened to the preacher telling me and the other members exactly what we've already come to believe through scripture, then where are we challenged?

By coming here and discussing scripture with many people whose understandings are far different than mine, I've had no choice but to either scripturally “prove” my own understanding, or adjust my understanding because THEY were the ones who had scripture on their side in that particular discussion.

I've done both, but only after first delving deep into many scriptures, searching them for the truth of the matter.

And since I come away from the discussion with a much deeper understanding of scripture, I consider it a good experience.

Ed J
    Participant

Quote (toby @ Mar. 25 2012,21:10)
    Hi Dew.
    My thoughts on the topic question are similar to t8's.

However, it is far more difficult to bring an idea over to another in a forum, because communication context is lost in writing (Word stress, I flexes, etc) – yes, they can be simulated with Bold type or Capitals etc, but then it is up to the reader to interpret it right.

However, yes, writing can be used as a shield against timid speaking, but not against faulty logic. The timid speaker can take time to craft their thoughts – the faulty logic is there forever for all to see later.

You are right to quote about the 'Conclusion'. It seems to me that those who are at fault with their ideology, do not seek 'a conclusion' to their ideology but only to keep it running.

Why is the topic repeated over and over, with the same person who seems impotent to move it forward, nor add to it, nor able to properly explain their ideology.

For instance, (on one Forum), I have asked for clarification on certain matters. None has been offered, yet they continue to post their ideology. Why, because the forum allows them to NOT answer, until the question is lost by others wading in with muddying waters.

In real life, face to face, the questioned person could be locked off in that explicit point, until they answered or withdraw the point.

Forums are like the Debate chambers that Greeks in the days of Jesus used to indulge in as their daily entertainment – for some it was their life – Jesus warned against them, as they delved too deeply in the minutiae of everything (What, today, we praise as being honourable about them in their inventions and discoveries!)

It can be seen, how too much analysis of words and meanings and redefinitions of definitions Of words, becomes misleading to the original question.

But the question needs to be asked: to whose advantage is it to redefine a definition? Or, in fact, refuse to define in commonly known terms, a word or phrase or term, which is the central point of the topic?

Why would someone NOT want to agree the definition, in common terms, of a word or term. The forum allows for a poster to scuttle away from answering such questions.

Imagine a building with many discussion/debating rooms. In one particular room a topic is being discussed. There are several people in that room:
    1) Could a question be asked by one, where no answer was forthcoming, because at the same time others are asking their own questions?
    2) Would their likely be a Moderator/Judge in that room who was not also one of the questioners (A moderator/Judge cannot adequately also be a questioner else he will be prejudiced against others but 'for' himself!!)

So,
    – measure your own time to be in a forum against what you get out of it
    – ask yourself if you think the forum is being moderated properly and there are no prejudices by the moderator
    – only participate in threads where you feel comfortable
    – don't post in a thread just to antagonise another but make your posts seeking positive outcomes
    – accept where you are wrong (or did you join the forum to teach a fixed ideology?)
    – know that it is 'Ok' to be wrong if you then 'adopt and attain to' the new learnt truth!
    – don't argue against true Scriptures else you are arguing against God!!
    – keep away from those who are deliberate in themselves – against such you will always be in contention, as their intent is for contention, and you are only therefore feeding their intent
    – if you feel you have a truth – keep on and in with those of similar beliefs, or who appear to be coming round to that belief, but make sure your belief is TRUE, else who commit a greater sin!!!

Dew, hope this helps in whole or in part.

Hi Toby,

Excellent Post!

Your brother
    in Christ, Jesus.
    Ed J (Joshua 22:34)
    holycitybiblecode.org

Lightenup
    Participant

Hi Dew,
    What has kept you from posting on the forum until now? There are probably a lot of 'readers only' who are members and I was just wondering, or maybe you have posted but under an alias, idk. I like HN mainly because of the layout. I have looked at other forums but they are harder to find things and to see the flow of things, imo. I, like others, have learned from my research as I prepare a response and in that way, the forum has been very valuable. The personal attacks have been eye opening since so many who attack are proclaiming Christians but that , although hurtful, has also brought me to cling to Jesus tighter than ever and that is good. Like God answered Paul about his thorn in the flesh, God's strength is perfected in weakness.

As Mike said, if you look at the cup half full and seek the good in all things, then you can be strengthened in whatever situation there is. Most importantly though, we should only be here if we are led by the Spirit to be here. If God tells you to not come here and post then you must be obedient to that. If you are here in disobedience, then you will probably be miserable in your spirit, imo.

Do take care though Dew.

Blessings,
    Kathi

dew
    Participant

I was talking to the JWs and they said the difference in them and other denominations and religions is that they have unity.  

I find it “very different” when there are so many opinions.

I like what you say Toby, thanks.
    Well said. 
    The Greeks, I heard that.

Mikeboll64, thankyou.
    I hear what youre saying.
    Good one.

Lightenup, I dont know what to say. I registered a few months ago and have been posting. Glad you learnt something, and do take care too?

I may try and get into one topic :)
    Which to pick…. i dont know!

Stu
    Participant

Quote (dew @ Mar. 23 2012,15:25)
    Hi.

It's only atheists who will give you a straight answer!

Stuart

dew
    Participant

Are you an atheist?
    OK Stuart, whats your answer?

charity
    Participant

Hi dew,

MAYBE its the fear, fear drives people to control as much as they can reach.

I can think of three ways you can handle fear. You can go over it, under it, or around it. But you can't stay there? unless you feel God wants you live in fear!

hence… to much computer is not good for me…or arguing in that case..

charity :)

dew
    Participant

Hi Charity.

Fear can be healthy. It can save us.
    It can also control us.
    If something makes you scared, there are ways around it.
    If its a person, why let them.

Perfect love casts out (all) fear.
    In perfect christians, there would be no control or fear in the environment if they practice what they preach.

Stu
    Participant

Quote (dew @ Mar. 26 2012,19:38)
    Are you an atheist?
    OK Stuart, whats your answer?

What was the question again?

Stuart

Ed J
    Participant

Hi Stuart,

What does 42 mean?

God bless
    Ed J (Joshua 22:34)
    http://www.holycitybiblecode.org

charity
    Participant

No! its 42. ?

Ed J
    Participant

Quote (charity @ Mar. 26 2012,20:44)
    No! its 42.  ?

huh?

dew
    Participant

:D :).

charity
    Participant

Quote (dew @ Mar. 26 2012,20:03)
    Hi Charity.

It can also control us.

In perfect christians, there would be no control or fear in the environment if they practice what they preach.

I understand that…an I also understand when you have trusted, an been perfect you can be heard crying out My God My God why have you forsaken me…its hard because not even the perfect should feel safe?

charity
    Participant

stu's a legend….Ive learnt a lot from him an t8…oh an others here to..

Thank you all!!! :D

dew
    Participant

Quote (charity @ Mar. 26 2012,20:50)

Hi Charity.

It can also control us.

I understand that…an I also understand when you have trusted, an been perfect you can be heard crying out My God My God why have you forsaken me…its hard because not even the perfect should feel safe?

Charity, have faith.
    Dont let others ever ruin what you have.

charity
    Participant

Quote (dew @ Mar. 26 2012,20:59)

Quote (charity @ Mar. 26 2012,20:50)

Hi Charity.

It can also control us.

Charity, have faith.
    Dont let others ever ruin what you have.

yes Im going to have to find out where I stand with compensation!

:D

Proclaimer
    Participant

Quote (Stu @ Mar. 26 2012,22:28)

Quote (dew @ Mar. 23 2012,15:25)
    Hi.

It's only atheists who will give you a straight answer!

Stuart

Prove it then.
    Choose a letter.

What is the source of all things?
    a) God
    b) Something non-living
    c) Nothing

I look forward to your straight answer.

Proclaimer
    Participant

Quote (dew @ Mar. 25 2012,21:44)

Quote (t8 @ Mar. 24 2012,21:38)
    dew.

People generally communicate differently on the Web than they do face to face and even on the phone.
    This is both good and bad. Good in the sense that you can speak your mind easier and talk about subjects that might be taboo face to face. But bad when people abuse others when they would not do that to the person face to face.

Hi T8.
    Maybe its peoples true colors coming out.

Agreed.

Face to face contact often hides the heart as people observe certain etiquette.

seekingtruth
    Participant

But isn't that the hypocrite in all of us?

Viewing 20 posts - 21 through 40 (of 56 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 1999 - 2024 Heaven Net

Navigation

© 1999 - 2023 - Heaven Net
or

or    

Forgot your details?

or

Create Account