Halloween is coming up

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 20 posts - 261 through 280 (of 1,115 total)
  • Author
    georg
    Participant

Quote (Not3in1 @ Oct. 16 2009,10:09)

Quote (Nick Hassan @ Oct. 16 2009,09:35)
    Hi not3,
    1 Peter 2.
    Rom 12
    1 Cor 7

1 Peter 2:11
    11Dear friends, I urge you, as aliens and strangers in the world, to abstain from sinful desires, which war against your soul. 12Live such good lives among the pagans that, though they accuse you of doing wrong, they may see your good deeds and glorify God on the day he visits us.

Nick,
    Would a Pagan accuse me of doing “wrong” by celebrating Halloween?   :;):

You have many scriptures at your fingertips by which to judge my actions and beliefs.  Why limit yourself to only a few?  Indeed it is sad that we use the bible as a tool for judgement instead of spurring one another on towards love.

What would you say if I told you that a Pagan/Wicca believer gave their heart to Jesus at one of my Halloween parties?  Would you believe me?

Love,
    Mandy

Mandy! I know that when one has been doing something for so long, it is hard to understand anything else. But do you really believe it is O,K, to do what you are doing on Halloween? Is it not a Satan Spiritual day? When you go out at night and put on Costums that are Satan's like a Ghost or a Devil etc. do you feel rigth doing so? And if you don't put on those things, but you are still being part of that feast. As far as the person that came to be with Jesus, what Church is He in now. Most believe in the trinity do they not? Look I am not judging you, I am telling you in Love, IMO you are doing wrong. And I am sorry to say that. With all my Love Irene

Not3in1
    Participant

Quote (942767 @ Oct. 16 2009,10:24)
    Why would God declare some of His creatures unclean for food in the OT and all of a sudden declare them clean in the NT? Why then bother to declare them unclean at all.

This isn't the only thing God that has changed his mind on, so it doesn't surprise me.

In the OT you couldn't even wear the clothes we have on our backs currently (cotton/poly blends)…… And according to Con, we still shouldn't be wearing them. Hey Con, what are you wearing right now? :laugh:

I wonder if he keeps all the commandments, literally?

Oh, I'm getting ornery now….I better go.

Love to you all,
    Mandy

Not3in1
    Participant

Quote (georg @ Oct. 16 2009,10:26)

Quote (Not3in1 @ Oct. 16 2009,10:09)

Quote (Nick Hassan @ Oct. 16 2009,09:35)
    Hi not3,
    1 Peter 2.
    Rom 12
    1 Cor 7

1 Peter 2:11
    11Dear friends, I urge you, as aliens and strangers in the world, to abstain from sinful desires, which war against your soul. 12Live such good lives among the pagans that, though they accuse you of doing wrong, they may see your good deeds and glorify God on the day he visits us.

Nick,
    Would a Pagan accuse me of doing “wrong” by celebrating Halloween?   :;):

You have many scriptures at your fingertips by which to judge my actions and beliefs.  Why limit yourself to only a few?  Indeed it is sad that we use the bible as a tool for judgement instead of spurring one another on towards love.

What would you say if I told you that a Pagan/Wicca believer gave their heart to Jesus at one of my Halloween parties?  Would you believe me?

Love,
    Mandy

Mandy!   I know that when one has been doing something for so long, it is hard to understand anything else.  But do you really believe it is O,K, to do what you are doing on Halloween? Is it not a Satan Spiritual day?  When you go out at night and put on Costums that are Satan's like a Ghost or a Devil etc. do you feel rigth doing so?  And if you don't put on those things, but you are still being part of that feast.  As far as the person that came to be with Jesus, what Church is He in now.  Most believe in the trinity do they not? Look I am not judging you, I am telling you in Love, IMO you are doing wrong.  And I am sorry to say that.  With all my Love Irene

Okay, thanks for your opinion Irene.

Have a great night and tell Georg I said hello!

Love,
    Mandy

Quote (942767 @ Oct. 15 2009,18:24)

Quote (thethinker @ Oct. 16 2009,09:42)

Quote (WorshippingJesus @ Oct. 16 2009,09:37)

Quote (Constitutionalist @ Oct. 15 2009,17:22)

Quote (WorshippingJesus @ Oct. 15 2009,13:47)

Quote (Constitutionalist @ Oct. 15 2009,16:38)

Quote (WorshippingJesus @ Oct. 15 2009,10:16)

Quote (Constitutionalist @ Oct. 15 2009,12:52)
    Foolish little boy, let the scriptures speak, if you really feel it is I twisting and turning the word of God, let this forum decide:

First of all, have you read the scripture that says “call no man a fool”?

Second, I am not a boy. I am 54 years old and have been serving the Lord for 35 years.

Third you just ignored my post and the scriptures that prove that all meats are clean and then you plastered Peter’s vision on here as if you actually said something!

Address the points and stop creating diversions. According to the scriptures are all meats cleansed by God or not?

The vision has a twofold meaning doesn't it? But you are closing your eyes to this truth!

You are acting like a novice!

WJ

The Holy Spirit Gave him the answer to his vision. You all keep plugging away at one verse in this chapter and deny the context of the whole chapter.

He was given of the vision that the gentile was to be considered clean, and because Peter was a practicing Jew God showed him unclean meats because Peter understood this. And it was horrific this vision to Peter. Until the Holy Spirit gave him the meaning.

And the second part was the gentiles were to come into the fold as was prophesied.

So simple that one verse blinds you to the whole of the chapter.

It Doesn't blind me at all.

Because I understand that the vision was also about the Gentiles being saved and grafted in.

But you have rejected a part of the vision and closed your eyes where the Father calls the beast clean and commands Peter to eat.

You didn't answer the question.

“According to the scriptures are all meats cleansed by God or not”?

WJ

NOPE!

Hi all

Lets let the scritpures be the judge and see if Con is telling the truth!

The Spirit clearly says that in later times SOME WILL ABANDON THE FAITH and follow deceiving spirits and things taught by demons”. Such teachings come through “HYPOCRITICAL LIARS”, whose consciences have been seared as with a hot iron. “They forbid” people to marry “AND ORDER THEM **TO ABSTAIN FROM CERTAIN FOODS**, which GOD CREATED TO BE RECEIVED WITH THANKSGIVING by those who believe and who know the truth”. “FOR EVERYTHING GOD CREATED IS GOOD, and “NOTHING IS TO BE REJECTED” if it is received with thanksgiving, because “IT IS CONSECRATED BY THE WORD OF GOD AND PRAYER”. If you point these things out to the brothers, you will be a good minister of Christ Jesus, “brought up in the truths of the faith and of the good teaching that you have followed”. 1 Tim 4:1-6

So you do not believe Pauls words then?

WJ

Keith,
    You are a faithful minister bro as Paul told Timothy.

thinker

Hi WJ:

And so, I guess this means that you can eat horse meat or dog meat, or the meat of a buzzard etc.

Actually, we have a “free will” and we can do whatsoever we choose to do.

We can eat whatever we want, but certainly, some things are not good for our health.

I may be wrong, but I do not believe that God was speaking of cleansing all meats in Acts Chapter 10.  I need to pray about this in spite of 1 Ti 4:4.

Why would God declare some of His creatures unclean for food in the OT and all of a sudden declare them clean in the NT?  Why then bother to declare them unclean at all.

Love in Christ,
    Marty

Marty

Why did God call the heathen unclean and cursed and yet now they can be grafted in Christ?

Eat what you want Marty, and I promise to never eat pork in your presence. As far as the scriptures, I believe them.

You can do what you want with 1 Tim 4:1-6, do what you did with Matt 28:19, thats up to you!

But don't judge me because of my liberty!

WJ

Quote (Not3in1 @ Oct. 15 2009,15:14)

Quote (Constitutionalist @ Oct. 16 2009,09:58)

Quote (Not3in1 @ Oct. 15 2009,14:52)

Quote (Nick Hassan @ Oct. 16 2009,09:24)
    Hi mandy,
    Cultural habits are not from the Lord Jesus or his God.
    We need to become wiser than the world and help our children do so too.
    Traditions are hard to break free from but our attitudes to them should gradually change.

My children could teach you a thing or two about the world and people, Nick.

As for my parenting ability to teach my children right from wrong, and things of the Lord and the world……well I do no better or worse than you, I'm sure.   :;):

What everyone seems to be missing is that no one can deem what is sin to someone else.  There is even sin that doesn't lead to death, for crying out loud!!  So give me a break about all this taboo around Halloween and being a bad example to my kids.  I could think of worse things, believe me.

Love,
    Mandy

The only sin I am aware of that does not lead to death is repented sin.

Are there others?

1 John 5:16
    If anyone sees his brother commit a sin that does not lead to death, he should pray and God will give him life. I refer to those whose sin does not lead to death. There is a sin that leads to death. I am not saying that he should pray about that.

Pretty cryptic, huh?  But perhaps you can enlighten us?

If anyone sees his brother committing a sin not leading to death, he shall ask and God will for him give life to those who commit sin not leading to death. There is a sin leading to death; I do not say that he should make request for this.

Cross References:

Numbers 15:30 But the person who does anything defiantly, whether he is native or an alien, that one is blaspheming the LORD; and that person shall be cut off from among his people.

Jeremiah 7:16 “As for you, do not pray for this people, and do not lift up cry or prayer for them, and do not intercede with Me; for I do not hear you.

Jeremiah 14:11 So the LORD said to me, “Do not pray for the welfare of this people.

Hebrews 6:4 For in the case of those who have once been enlightened and have tasted of the heavenly gift and have been made partakers of the Holy Spirit,

Hebrews 10:26 For if we go on sinning willfully after receiving the knowledge of the truth, there no longer remains a sacrifice for sins,

James 5:15 and the prayer offered in faith will restore the one who is sick, and the Lord will raise him up, and if he has committed sins, they will be forgiven him.

We have to make prayers not only for ourselves, but also for our brothers who sin, that their sins be not to death: and yet he excepts that sin which is never forgiven, or the sin against the Holy Spirit, that is to say, a universal and wilful falling away from the known truth of the gospel. This is as if he said, let him ask the Lord to forgive him, and he will forgive him being so asked.

If any one see his brother – That is. any man.

Sin a sin which is not unto death – That is, any sin but total apostasy from both the power and form of godliness.

Let him ask, and God will give him life – Pardon and spiritual life, for that sinner.

There is a sin unto death: I do not say that he shall pray for that – That is, let him not pray for it. A sin unto death may likewise mean, one which God has determined to punish with death.

All sin leads to death, if unrepented.

seekingtruth
    Participant

Irene,
    If anyone sees his brother commit a sin that does not lead to death, he should pray and God will give him life. I refer to those whose sin does not lead to death. There is a sin that leads to death. I am not saying that he should pray about that.

Quote (Not3in1 @ Oct. 15 2009,15:30)

Why would God declare some of His creatures unclean for food in the OT and all of a sudden declare them clean in the NT?  Why then bother to declare them unclean at all.

This isn't the only thing God that has changed his mind on, so it doesn't surprise me.

In the OT you couldn't even wear the clothes we have on our backs currently (cotton/poly blends)……  And according to Con, we still shouldn't be wearing them.  Hey Con, what are you wearing right now?   :laugh:

Love to you all,
    Mandy

All cotton, I live in a hot desert.

They had polyestor blends in the Old Testament?

No matter, don't mix wool and linen in the making of clothing.

Clothing Mixtures:
    The Commandment of Shatnez
    For some reason, many people believe that it is forbidden to wear clothing that contains mixtures of different fibers.

This is incorrect.

However, the Torah does forbid us to mix linen and wool in our clothes. And wool refers specifically to the wool of sheep, lamb and rams. Other fibers, however, are absolutely permitted. Many fabrics today have mixed fibers and are not 100% any particular one material, and this is usually permitted, unless wool and linen (or wool products and linen products) are mixed.

It is easy to make claims, so I will cite a legal source, no less than the great Maimonides himself. The Rambam (Maimonides), in Hilchos Kilayim (Laws of Mixtures) Chapter 10, Law 1, says quite explicitly:

Nothing at all is forbidden in clothing mixtures except wool and linen mixed together. As it says in the Torah (Deuteronomy 22:11): Do not wear shaatnez, wool and linen together.
    In other words, the Rambam is saying that the Torah states explicitly that shaatnez is wool and linen together, and not any other mixture. Any other mixture in clothing is permissible.

The Torah, as we see, is rather clear that shatnez refers specifically and only to wool and linen.

Understanding the Reasons
    The great Rabbinic Commentator Rashi says (on Genesis 26:5), quoting the Midrash, that the Law of shatnez is a chok, a decree that the King has passed for His subjects, for which we do not know the reason. A great many of the Commandments in the Torah are of that sort. We do not know precisely why pork is forbidden, for example. We do not understand how the Purification by means of a red heifer works.

Therefore, we can never truly understand the entire reason for this Mitzvah, but we can understand some of the concepts within it, at some level. Maimonides, in his Guide to the Perplexed, points out that ancient pagan priests used to wear wool and linen processed together, because they knew how to make use of it for occult practices, including idol worship and other terrible things, and therefore the Torah forbade us to use it for all time, and ordered us to stay far away from shatnez, as well as all other practices of the pagans.

Some of the details of the Law
    Wool and linen attached to each other by any means is forbidden. It does not matter whether they are sewn together, spun, twisted, glued, or any method of attaching whatsoever. Any method of combining wool and linen is forbidden. Wool that has linen thread through it, linen that has woolen thread through it, wool and linen fabric sewn together by silk (or any type of thread), wool or linen held together by a needle or pin – all these are forbidden. However, it is permitted to wear a linen garment over a woolen garment, or vice versa, since they are not attached to each other.

Even the smallest amount is forbidden. For example, if you have a wool suit and the label is sewn on with a linen thread, it is forbidden to wear the suit until the linen thread is removed. You may not wear a wool jacket with a linen patch on the elbow, or anywhere else.

The prohibition of shatnez applies to any sort of material, whether it be used for socks, shoes, gloves, pajamas, etc., and to any period of time, no matter how brief. We may not even try on clothing that has shatnez to see if it fits.

http://www.beingjewish.com/mitzvos/shatnez.html

Sorry if it bothers you.

Participant

Quote (WorshippingJesus @ Oct. 16 2009,10:33)

Quote (942767 @ Oct. 15 2009,18:24)

Quote (thethinker @ Oct. 16 2009,09:42)

Quote (WorshippingJesus @ Oct. 16 2009,09:37)

Quote (Constitutionalist @ Oct. 15 2009,17:22)

Quote (WorshippingJesus @ Oct. 15 2009,13:47)

Quote (Constitutionalist @ Oct. 15 2009,16:38)

Quote (WorshippingJesus @ Oct. 15 2009,10:16)

Quote (Constitutionalist @ Oct. 15 2009,12:52)
    Foolish little boy, let the scriptures speak, if you really feel it is I twisting and turning the word of God, let this forum decide:

First of all, have you read the scripture that says “call no man a fool”?

Second, I am not a boy. I am 54 years old and have been serving the Lord for 35 years.

Third you just ignored my post and the scriptures that prove that all meats are clean and then you plastered Peter’s vision on here as if you actually said something!

Address the points and stop creating diversions. According to the scriptures are all meats cleansed by God or not?

The vision has a twofold meaning doesn't it? But you are closing your eyes to this truth!

You are acting like a novice!

WJ

The Holy Spirit Gave him the answer to his vision. You all keep plugging away at one verse in this chapter and deny the context of the whole chapter.

He was given of the vision that the gentile was to be considered clean, and because Peter was a practicing Jew God showed him unclean meats because Peter understood this. And it was horrific this vision to Peter. Until the Holy Spirit gave him the meaning.

And the second part was the gentiles were to come into the fold as was prophesied.

So simple that one verse blinds you to the whole of the chapter.

It Doesn't blind me at all.

Because I understand that the vision was also about the Gentiles being saved and grafted in.

But you have rejected a part of the vision and closed your eyes where the Father calls the beast clean and commands Peter to eat.

You didn't answer the question.

WJ

NOPE!

Hi all

Lets let the scritpures be the judge and see if Con is telling the truth!

The Spirit clearly says that in later times SOME WILL ABANDON THE FAITH and follow deceiving spirits and things taught by demons”. Such teachings come through “HYPOCRITICAL LIARS”, whose consciences have been seared as with a hot iron. “They forbid” people to marry “AND ORDER THEM **TO ABSTAIN FROM CERTAIN FOODS**, which GOD CREATED TO BE RECEIVED WITH THANKSGIVING by those who believe and who know the truth”. “FOR EVERYTHING GOD CREATED IS GOOD, and “NOTHING IS TO BE REJECTED” if it is received with thanksgiving, because “IT IS CONSECRATED BY THE WORD OF GOD AND PRAYER”. If you point these things out to the brothers, you will be a good minister of Christ Jesus, “brought up in the truths of the faith and of the good teaching that you have followed”. 1 Tim 4:1-6

So you do not believe Pauls words then?

WJ

Keith,
    You are a faithful minister bro as Paul told Timothy.

thinker

Hi WJ:

And so, I guess this means that you can eat horse meat or dog meat, or the meat of a buzzard etc.

Actually, we have a “free will” and we can do whatsoever we choose to do.

We can eat whatever we want, but certainly, some things are not good for our health.

I may be wrong, but I do not believe that God was speaking of cleansing all meats in Acts Chapter 10.  I need to pray about this in spite of 1 Ti 4:4.

Love in Christ,
    Marty

Marty

Why did God call the heathen unclean and cursed and yet now they can be grafted in Christ?

Eat what you want Marty, and I promise to never eat pork in your presence. As far as the scriptures, I believe them.

You can do what you want with 1 Tim 4:1-6, do what you did with Matt 28:19, thats up to you!

But don't judge me because of my liberty!

WJ

Hi WJ:

I have never judged you. We are discussing the scriptures hoping to arrive at the truth.

The heathen were declared unclean because of sin, and if they are now Christians, they have been cleansed by the blood of the Lord. This is an altogether differerent matter than the issue of meats and food.

I believe that the “trinity doctrine” is a misunderstanding of scripture, and I believe that we can eat whatever we want to eat, but I believe that some things are not good for our health.

But speaking about not eating pork in my presence, that would not bother me at all, but it may bother Jews or Muslims who have become Christians.

Love in Christ,
    Marty

georg
    Participant

Quote (Constitutionalist @ Oct. 16 2009,09:54)

Quote (thethinker @ Oct. 15 2009,14:38)
    Con said:

Then it might have something to do with the commandments, but I am sure you believe as TT there are no more commandments in existance. Right?

Yeap! The Levitical codes are dead!

thinker

God does not change. (Mal 3:6, Heb 13:8, Jas 1:17)

Here are some levitical codes:

The Law was Repeated in the New Testament

1. Do not have other gods (Mt 4:10)

2. Do not have idols (Ac 17:29, 1Jn 5:21)

3. Do not misuse the Lord's name (1Ti 6:1)

4. Keep the 7th-day Sabbath holy (Mk 2:27,28, Lk 4:16)

5. Honor your parents (Mt 19:19)

6. Do not kill (Mt 19:18, Ro 13:9)

7. Do not commit adultery (Mt 19:18, Ro 13:9)

8. Do not steal (Mt 19:18, Ro 13:9)

9. Do not give false testimony (Mt 19:18, Ro 13:9)

10. Do not covet (Ro 7:7, Ro 13:9)

Dead huh?

Here are some more Levitical codes:

The law is focused around love. (Mt 22:36-40 compare Lev 19:18 and Dt 6:5)

Commandments 1-4 define our relationship of love to God.

Commandments 5-10 define our relationship of love to other people.

Lust is adultery. (Mt 5:27,28, 2Pe 2:14,15)

Hate is murder. (Mt 5:21,22, 1Jn 3:15)

Fornication, uncleaness, covetousness, and other lusts are idolatry. (Col 3:5 compare Ro 7:7)

Dead huh?

The law is perfect. (Ps 19:7, Jas 1:25 compare Jas 2:11,12)

The law is eternal. (Ps 111:7,8, Ps 119:143,144,152 compare Ex 25:16,21, Ps 119:160 compare Lev 26:46)

The law is unchangeable. (Dt 4:2, Ps 89:34, Mt 5:17-20 (context Mt 5:21,27,38, compare Heb 4:15), Lk 16:17 (context Lk 16:18))

If the law could be changed, Jesus would not have had to die for us. (Ro 4:25, 1Pe 2:24)

The law acts as a mirror revealing sin and the need for the Saviour. (Ro 3:20, Ro 5:13,20, Ro 7:7,13, Gal 3:24, Jas 1:23-25)

Our works do not make us righteous (Isa 64:6, Jn 15:1-5, Ac 13:38,39, Ro 3:20,27,28, Ro 4:1-5, Ro 9:30-32, Ro 11:5,6, Gal 2:15,16,20,21, Gal 3:11, Gal 5:4)

Note: A “legalist” is a person who believes his good works make him righteous.

Dead huh?

Our obedience and our works are a natural result of genuine faith in Jesus and love for God. (Ps 119:97-104, Jn 14:15,21, 1Jn 5:3)

The presence of works is evidence that our faith is genuine, that Jesus lives in and through us. (Jas 2:17,20,22,26)

Jesus is the source; we are the branches; our works are the fruit. (Jn 15:1-5)

It is not through our own power that we keep the law.

Christ (living through us) enables us to keep the law. (2Co 5:21, Gal 2:20, Gal 5:16,22-25)

The law is written on our heart. (Ps 37:30,31, Ps 40:8, Jer 31:33, Eze 11:19,20, Eze 36:26,27, Mt 15:1-3,7-9, Ro 2:14,15, Heb 8:10 compare 2Co 3:3, Heb 10:16)

Love is the essence of the law. (Dt 6:4,5, Lev 19:18, Mt 7:12, Mt 22:35-40, see also Mk 12:28-31, Mt 23:23,24, Ro 13:8-10, 1Jn 5:2, 2Jn 1:5,6 (compare Jn 13:34)

Dead huh?

God expects obedience to His law. (Dt 5:32, Pr 28:4,9, Isa 24:5,6, Jer 7:8-10, Ecc 12:13, Hos 4:6, Mal 4:3-5, Mt 28:19,20, Jn 14:15,21,23, Jn 15:10,14, Ro 2:13, Ro 7:21-25, Ro 8:7,8, 1Co 7:19, Heb 5:8,9, 1Jn 3:4-10, Rev 22:14)

Grace did not abolish the law. (Ro 3:31, Ro 6:1,2,14,15, Ro 8:3,4, Jude 1:4)

The law is not obsolete. (Isa 42:21, Mt 7:21, Heb 8:10, 1Jn 2:3-6)

Jesus kept the law perfectly. (Jn 15:10, Heb 4:15)

The wicked are characterized by lawlessness. (Da 7:25, 2Th 2:3,8,9, 2Pe 2:7,8)

In the last days, God's faithful remnant people keep His law. (Rev 12:17, Rev 14:12)

We are blessed by keeping the law. (Dt 6:24, Ps 19:8, Pr 3:1,2, Pr 29:18, Isa 48:18)

Dead huh?

The fall of man and the curse of the earth resulted from one act of disobedience. (Ge 3:17-19, Ro 5:17-19)

Christ died on the cross because of our sins, which are the breaking of the law. (Ro 4:25)

Dead huh?

We ar not under that covenant anymore. We are under the new covennt in Jesus name
    Luke 22:20
    Ezxodus 34:27 “Then the LORD said to Moses:” Write these words to the tenor iof these words<I have madea coveant with you and ISRAEL."
    verse 28 “So He was there with the LORD forty days and forty nights, he neither ate bread or drank water. And he wrote on the tablets the WORD OF THE NEW COVENANT THE TEN COMMANDMENTS. Also in Deut. 4:13 it says the same.
    We are under grace and sin is not imputed to us. Also keeping the Sabbath was for the Israelites. It was a sign between them and God.
    Lev. 26:46 These are the statutes and judgement and laws that the LORD MADE BETWEEN HIMSELF AND THE CHILDREN OF ISRAEL ON MOUNT SAINAI BY THE HANDS OF MOSES.
    Jesus kept it, because He first was aJew and second because He was under the old Covenant law. When He shed His Blood for us, He changed it.
    Also in Exodus 31:16 ” Therefore, the children of Israel shall keep the Sabbath throughout their genaration as a perpetual covenant.
    We are not under that covenant. We are under grace Ephesins 2:8 and the covenant made in Jesus Blood Luke 22:20.
    Peace ad Love Irene

Quote (georg @ Oct. 15 2009,16:15)

Quote (Constitutionalist @ Oct. 16 2009,09:54)

Quote (thethinker @ Oct. 15 2009,14:38)
    Con said:

Then it might have something to do with the commandments, but I am sure you believe as TT there are no more commandments in existance. Right?

Yeap! The Levitical codes are dead!

thinker

God does not change. (Mal 3:6, Heb 13:8, Jas 1:17)

Here are some levitical codes:

The Law was Repeated in the New Testament

1. Do not have other gods (Mt 4:10)

2. Do not have idols (Ac 17:29, 1Jn 5:21)

3. Do not misuse the Lord's name (1Ti 6:1)

4. Keep the 7th-day Sabbath holy (Mk 2:27,28, Lk 4:16)

5. Honor your parents (Mt 19:19)

6. Do not kill (Mt 19:18, Ro 13:9)

7. Do not commit adultery (Mt 19:18, Ro 13:9)

8. Do not steal (Mt 19:18, Ro 13:9)

9. Do not give false testimony (Mt 19:18, Ro 13:9)

10. Do not covet (Ro 7:7, Ro 13:9)

Dead huh?

Here are some more Levitical codes:

The law is focused around love. (Mt 22:36-40 compare Lev 19:18 and Dt 6:5)

Commandments 1-4 define our relationship of love to God.

Commandments 5-10 define our relationship of love to other people.

Lust is adultery. (Mt 5:27,28, 2Pe 2:14,15)

Hate is murder. (Mt 5:21,22, 1Jn 3:15)

Fornication, uncleaness, covetousness, and other lusts are idolatry. (Col 3:5 compare Ro 7:7)

Dead huh?

The law is perfect. (Ps 19:7, Jas 1:25 compare Jas 2:11,12)

The law is eternal. (Ps 111:7,8, Ps 119:143,144,152 compare Ex 25:16,21, Ps 119:160 compare Lev 26:46)

The law is unchangeable. (Dt 4:2, Ps 89:34, Mt 5:17-20 (context Mt 5:21,27,38, compare Heb 4:15), Lk 16:17 (context Lk 16:18))

If the law could be changed, Jesus would not have had to die for us. (Ro 4:25, 1Pe 2:24)

The law acts as a mirror revealing sin and the need for the Saviour. (Ro 3:20, Ro 5:13,20, Ro 7:7,13, Gal 3:24, Jas 1:23-25)

Our works do not make us righteous (Isa 64:6, Jn 15:1-5, Ac 13:38,39, Ro 3:20,27,28, Ro 4:1-5, Ro 9:30-32, Ro 11:5,6, Gal 2:15,16,20,21, Gal 3:11, Gal 5:4)

Note: A “legalist” is a person who believes his good works make him righteous.

Dead huh?

Our obedience and our works are a natural result of genuine faith in Jesus and love for God. (Ps 119:97-104, Jn 14:15,21, 1Jn 5:3)

The presence of works is evidence that our faith is genuine, that Jesus lives in and through us. (Jas 2:17,20,22,26)

Jesus is the source; we are the branches; our works are the fruit. (Jn 15:1-5)

It is not through our own power that we keep the law.

Christ (living through us) enables us to keep the law. (2Co 5:21, Gal 2:20, Gal 5:16,22-25)

The law is written on our heart. (Ps 37:30,31, Ps 40:8, Jer 31:33, Eze 11:19,20, Eze 36:26,27, Mt 15:1-3,7-9, Ro 2:14,15, Heb 8:10 compare 2Co 3:3, Heb 10:16)

Love is the essence of the law. (Dt 6:4,5, Lev 19:18, Mt 7:12, Mt 22:35-40, see also Mk 12:28-31, Mt 23:23,24, Ro 13:8-10, 1Jn 5:2, 2Jn 1:5,6 (compare Jn 13:34)

Dead huh?

God expects obedience to His law. (Dt 5:32, Pr 28:4,9, Isa 24:5,6, Jer 7:8-10, Ecc 12:13, Hos 4:6, Mal 4:3-5, Mt 28:19,20, Jn 14:15,21,23, Jn 15:10,14, Ro 2:13, Ro 7:21-25, Ro 8:7,8, 1Co 7:19, Heb 5:8,9, 1Jn 3:4-10, Rev 22:14)

Grace did not abolish the law. (Ro 3:31, Ro 6:1,2,14,15, Ro 8:3,4, Jude 1:4)

The law is not obsolete. (Isa 42:21, Mt 7:21, Heb 8:10, 1Jn 2:3-6)

Jesus kept the law perfectly. (Jn 15:10, Heb 4:15)

The wicked are characterized by lawlessness. (Da 7:25, 2Th 2:3,8,9, 2Pe 2:7,8)

In the last days, God's faithful remnant people keep His law. (Rev 12:17, Rev 14:12)

We are blessed by keeping the law. (Dt 6:24, Ps 19:8, Pr 3:1,2, Pr 29:18, Isa 48:18)

Dead huh?

The fall of man and the curse of the earth resulted from one act of disobedience. (Ge 3:17-19, Ro 5:17-19)

Christ died on the cross because of our sins, which are the breaking of the law. (Ro 4:25)

Dead huh?

We ar not under that covenant anymore.  We are under the new covennt in Jesus name
    Luke 22:20
    Ezxodus 34:27 “Then the LORD said to Moses:” Write these words to the tenor iof these words<I have madea coveant with you and ISRAEL."
    verse 28  “So He was there with the LORD forty days and forty nights, he neither ate bread or drank water.  And he wrote on the tablets the WORD OF THE NEW COVENANT THE TEN COMMANDMENTS.  Also in Deut. 4:13  it says the same.
    We are under grace and sin is not imputed to us.  Also keeping the Sabbath was for the Israelites.  It was a sign between them and God.
    Lev. 26:46 These are the statutes and judgement and laws that the LORD MADE BETWEEN HIMSELF AND THE CHILDREN OF ISRAEL ON MOUNT SAINAI BY THE HANDS OF MOSES.
    Jesus kept it, because He first was aJew and second because He was under the old Covenant law.  When He shed His Blood for us, He changed it.
    Also in Exodus 31:16 ” Therefore, the children of Israel shall keep the Sabbath throughout their genaration as a perpetual covenant.
    We are not under that covenant.  We are under grace Ephesins 2:8 and the covenant made in Jesus Blood Luke 22:20.
    Peace ad Love Irene

Irene,

The majority of those Levitical code verses I gave were from the New Testament.

Read them again.

And those Old Testament verses I gave parallel the New Testament.

If they be replaced then why are they in the New Testament?

NickHassan
    Participant

HiCON,
    The OT law applies to those it was given to-the jewish people.
    Jesus taught the jews about it when they questioned him.

GeneBalthrop
    Participant

WJ and thinker…….If the commandments of God are done away with, why does it Say, “the gentiles who have not the law (BUT) do the things contained in them , Show the LAW Written on their Heart by the Hand of GOD”. This seem to show the commandments are not done away with, but enforced in our thinking by GOD Himself through His Spirit. If we say we LOVE GOD Why not keep HIS WORDS then and not do things contrary to them. His commandments are not difficult are they? Love GOD and LOVE our fellow MAN. What so hard about that?

gene

Christian Pros and Cons: Halloween:

In parts of western Brittany, Samhain is still heralded by the baking of kornigou, cakes baked in the shape of antlers to commemorate the god of winter shedding his 'cuckold' horns as he returns to his kingdom in the Otherworld.

1] We know Halloween is a Celtic festival of the harvest.
    2] We know Halloween is a Celtic day honoring dead ancestors.
    3] We know Halloween is a Celtic day called “Samhain”.
    4] We know Halloween is a Celtic day called “Samhain”. And it is a festival of the dead as well as a celebration of the the dark half.
    5] We know Halloween is a Celtic day was celebrated with a secular mindset.
    6]We know Halloween is a Celtic festival of the harvest. It is still the custom in some areas to set a place for the dead at the Samhain feast.
    7]We know Halloween is a Celtic festival of the harvest. Villagers were said to have cast the bones of the slaughtered cattle upon the flames. The word 'bonfire', or 'bonefire' is a direct translation of the Gaelic tine cnámh. Often two bonfires would be built side by side, and the people would walk between the fires as a ritual of purification.
    8]We know Halloween is a Celtic festival of the harvest practiced divination, The ancient Gaels believed that the border between this world and the otherworld became thin on Samhain, allowing spirits (both harmless and harmful) to pass through.

The Ulster Cycle is peppered with references to Samhain. Many of the adventures and campaigns undertaken by the characters therein begin at the Samhain Night feast. One such tale is Echtra Nerai ('The Adventure of Nera') concerning one Nera from Connacht who undergoes a test of bravery put forth by King Ailill. The prize is the king's own gold-hilted sword. The terms hold that a man must leave the warmth and safety of the hall and pass through the night to a gallows where two prisoners had been hanged the day before, tie a twig around one man's ankle, and return. Others had been thwarted by the demons and spirits that harassed them as they attempted the task, quickly coming back to Ailill's hall in shame. Nera goes on to complete the task and eventually infiltrates the sídhe where he remains trapped until next Samhain. Taking etymology into consideration, it is interesting to note that the word for summer expressed in the Echtra Nerai is samraid.

1] Christianity tried to mimick it by instituting All Saints' Day, November 1. which is short for “the eve before All Hallows' Day,” the latter referring to the fact that saints of Christianity were “hallowed” individuals. All Saints' Day was instituted as a holiday in the year A.D. 609 (initially celebrated in May, it was moved to the November 1 date in A.D. 834).
    2] Christianity tried to mimick it by instituting All Souls' Day, November 2. On All Souls' Day the people were encouraged to pray for the souls in purgatory.
    3] It has nothing to do with nationhood and has lost its created religious signifance for most people.
    4]On All Hallows’ eve, the ancient Celts would place a skeleton on their window sill to represent the departed. Originating in Europe, these lanterns were first carved from a turnip or rutabaga. Believing that the head was the most powerful part of the body, containing the spirit and the knowledge, the Celts used the “head” of the vegetable to frighten off the embodiment of superstitions.

The other cycles feature Samhain as well. The Cath Maige Tuireadh (Battle of Mag Tuired) takes place on Samhain. The deities Morrígan and Dagda meet and have sex before the battle against the Fomorians; in this way the Morrígan acts as a sovereignty figure and gives the victory to The Dagda's people, the Tuatha Dé Danann.

The Manx celebrate Hop-tu-Naa, which is a celebration of the original New Year's Eve. The term is Manx Gaelic in origin, deriving from Shogh ta’n Oie, meaning “this is the night”. Traditionally, children dress as scary beings, carry turnips rather than pumpkins and sing an Anglicized version of Jinnie the Witch. They go from house to house asking for sweets or money.

According to Celtic lore, Samhain is a time when the boundaries between the world of the living and the world of the dead become thinner, allowing spirits and other supernatural entities to pass between the worlds to socialize with humans. It is the time of the year when ancestors and other departed souls are especially honored. Often a meal will be prepared of favorite foods of the family's and community's beloved dead, a place set for them at the table, and traditional songs, poetry and dances performed to entertain them. A door or window may be opened to the west and the beloved dead specifically invited to attend. Many leave a candle or other light burning in a western window to guide the dead home. Divination for the coming year is often done, whether in all solemnity or as games for the children. The more mystically inclined may also see this as a time for deeply communing with the deities, especially those whom the lore mentions as being particularly connected with this festival.

Samhain is one of the eight annual festivals, often referred to as 'Sabbats', observed as part of the Wiccan Wheel of the Year. It is considered by most Wiccans to be the most important of the four 'greater Sabbats'. It is generally observed on October 31st in the Northern Hemisphere, starting at sundown. Samhain is considered by some Wiccans as a time to celebrate the lives of those who have passed on, and it often involves paying respect to ancestors, family members, elders of the faith, friends, pets and other loved ones who have died. In some rituals the spirits of the departed are invited to attend the festivities. It is seen as a festival of darkness, which is balanced at the opposite point of the wheel by the spring festival of Beltane, which Wiccans celebrate as a festival of light and fertility.

1] The day is often associated with orange and black, and is strongly associated with symbols like the jack-o'-lantern. Halloween activities include trick-or-treating, wearing costumes and attending costume parties, ghost tours, bonfires, visiting haunted attractions, pranks, reading scary stories, and watching horror films.
    1]Halloween imagery tends to involve death, evil, the occult, magic, or mythical monsters. Traditional characters include the Devil, the Grim Reaper, ghosts, ghouls, demons, witches, pumpkin-men, goblins, vampires, werewolves, martians, zombies, mummies, pirates, skeletons, black cats, spiders, bats, owls, crows, and vultures.

OK, I listed all
    the pro's, can any list any con's?

Participant

Quote (Not3in1 @ Oct. 16 2009,10:30)

In the OT you couldn't even wear the clothes we have on our backs currently (cotton/poly blends)……  And according to Con, we still shouldn't be wearing them.  Hey Con, what are you wearing right now?   :laugh:

Love to you all,
    Mandy

Hi Mandy:

I know that God changed His mind about punishing someone when they repented. Indeed, because He is merciful. But apart from that, “He says I am the LORD I Change not.”

Love in Christ,
    Marty

georg
    Participant

Quote (Gene @ Oct. 16 2009,12:34)
    WJ and thinker…….If the commandments of God are done away with, why does it Say, “the gentiles who have not the law (BUT) do the things contained in them , Show the LAW Written on their Heart by the Hand of GOD”. This seem to show the commandments are not done away with, but enforced in our thinking by GOD Himself through His Spirit. If we say we LOVE GOD Why not keep HIS WORDS then and not do things contrary to them. His commandments are not difficult are they?  Love GOD and LOVE our fellow MAN. What so hard about that?

gene

You need to read up on the covenant that are listed.  We are now under the new Covenant and not the old.  The old was meant for the Jewish people and not with us Gentles.  The covenant that God gave to Moses on Mount Sinai in Exodus
    Exodus 34:27
    Exodus 31:16-17
    verse 16 “Therefore the children of Israel shall keep the Sabbath throughout their generation as a perpetual covenant.
    verse 17 “It is a sign between Me and Israel forever.
    We are under grace in
    Ephesians2:8 For by grace you have been saved through faith and that not of Yourselves; it is a gift from God.
    verse 9 not of work, lest anyone should boast.
    Luke 22:20 …”This cup is the new covenant in My Blood, which is shed for you.
    If we sin, and we do, we have a Mediator Jesus Christ.  We now can go to the Throne of God and ask for the forgiveness of our sins.  Sin is not imputed to us.  Why, because Christ died for those sins.  In the old days they had to make an atonement for their sins and sacrifice an animal.  Christ is our perfect Sacrifice and no other is needed.  But in Christ we should be putting on His cloth and sin not.  At least we should try not to sin.  Live in the Spirit and you will not sin, but if you do we have an Mediator Jesus Christ.  We still have this human flesh and Paul explains all in His letters. All of them.  If we think that we don't sin, John tells us the truth is not in us.  I hope you will understand what I am trying to say.
    Peace and Love Irene

This is what I said and not what you are quoting I said.

Quote (942767 @ Oct. 15 2009,17:53)

Quote (Not3in1 @ Oct. 16 2009,10:30)

Love to you all,
    Mandy

Hi Mandy:

I know that God changed His mind about punishing someone when they repented.  Indeed, because He is merciful.  But  apart from that, “He says I am the LORD I Change not.”

Love in Christ,
    Marty

Absolutly correct!

Quote (georg @ Oct. 15 2009,17:54)

WJ and thinker…….If the commandments of God are done away with, why does it Say, “the gentiles who have not the law (BUT) do the things contained in them , Show the LAW Written on their Heart by the Hand of GOD”. This seem to show the commandments are not done away with, but enforced in our thinking by GOD Himself through His Spirit. If we say we LOVE GOD Why not keep HIS WORDS then and not do things contrary to them. His commandments are not difficult are they?  Love GOD and LOVE our fellow MAN. What so hard about that?

gene

You need to read up on the covenant that are listed.  We are now under the new Covenant and not the old.  The old was meant for the Jewish people and not with us Gentles.  The covenant that God gave to Moses on Mount Sinai in Exodus
    Exodus 34:27
    Exodus 31:16-17
    verse 16 “Therefore the children of Israel shall keep the Sabbath throughout their generation as a perpetual covenant.
    verse 17 “It is a sign between Me and Israel forever.
    We are under grace in
    Ephesians2:8 For by grace you have been saved through faith and that not of Yourselves; it is a gift from God.
    verse 9 not of work, lest anyone should boast.
    Luke 22:20 …”This cup is the new covenant in My Blood, which is shed for you.
    If we sin, and we do, we have a Mediator Jesus Christ.  We now can go to the Throne of God and ask for the forgiveness of our sins.  Sin is not imputed to us.  Why, because Christ died for those sins.  In the old days they had to make an atonement for their sins and sacrifice an animal.  Christ is our perfect Sacrifice and no other is needed.  But in Christ we should be putting on His cloth and sin not.  At least we should try not to sin.  Live in the Spirit and you will not sin, but if you do we have an Mediator Jesus Christ.  We still have this human flesh and Paul explains all in His letters. All of them.  If we think that we don't sin, John tells us the truth is not in us.  I hope you will understand what I am trying to say.
    Peace and Love Irene

Seems to me he exchanged the sacrifice.

Seems to me he exchanged the Priesthood.

Seems he took the curse of the law upon himself.

But I do not see the law Abolished.

In your own statement you say you should try not to sin.

Sin = Transgression of the law.

If Christ abolished the law itself then sin does NOT exist.

Because without the law there is NO sin.

If there is no sin then you do not need a mediator, because there is nothing to mediate.

If you do not need a mediator, then there was no need for the cross.

If there is no need for the cross then we need not the Messiah.

Because you are SINLESS!

NickHassan
    Participant

Hi CON,
    The new LAW is of the Spirit and is a law of love.
    It does reflect the principles of the Old but is not a harsh schoolmaster.

“Blessed are those to whom sin is not imputed”ps32

georg
    Participant

gene

What we have is a new covenant in Jesus Blood.
    Luke 22:20 …”This cup is the new covenant in My Blood, which is shed for you.” Jesus is our perfect Sacrifice, and no other is neded.
    Jesus magnified the Law and fullfilled it, but no it ws not done away with. But sin is not imputed to us. Since Jesus Christ died for our Sins. If you read the Sermon on the Mount it will show you,all who are reading this, what it is.
    Gene, you are right the ” Greatest Commandment is “Love your God with all of your Heart, and your Neighbor as yourself.
    On all of these hang the rest of the commandments. Because if you Love your Neighbor you would not steal from Him or take His wife, or any of the other commandments.
    Peace and Love Irene

GeneBalthrop
    Participant

CT………..Have a technical question to ask of you, can you check out where it says we are not (Justified) by (works) of (THE) law. Please notice the definite article (THE) is not in the original Greek text. This to me changes the whole meaning of that sentence . If by the work of Law (what does that mean?), Law is as i understand it (FORCED COMPLIANCE) IT Operates or works through the medium of fear, so Paul's was really saying by being force to obey the commandments, that through the operation of forced compliance, no one is justified. Another words forcing someone to keep the commandments does not change His Heart at all, so He can not be justified by obeying through the medium of fear (works of law) in GOD'S Eyes. Would very much like you take on this Brother. This may not be the thread for this but would like you input on this. But If this be the case then the commandments are still relevant in a Christians life. The issue is not doing away with them (commandments) but the (WAY) they are to be Kept. IMO

peace and love to you and yours………………….gene

Viewing 20 posts - 261 through 280 (of 1,115 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 1999 - 2024 Heaven Net

Navigation

© 1999 - 2023 - Heaven Net
or

or    

Forgot your details?

or

Create Account