Function

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    martian
    Participant

Many times I have spoken on functionality of teaching. Perhaps it would be helpfull to understand the functional aspect of God and what he has created.

God does not have teachings or works that are dysfunctional. All of the things He does works toward helping His plan come about. Seeing functionality in scripture greatly enriches the understanding of verse. God veiws everything in His creation, including man, on the basis of functionality. Even relationship with Him is part of the function of man. An example is found in Genesis 1.

Genesis chapter 1.
    The word “Good” (tov , Heb) would be better translated as functional. The opposite of this word is “ra”. these two words are used in the knowledge of good (tov) and evil (ra) In otherwords the knowledge of function and disfunction. God, His creation, His teachings, and His children should be functional. All teachings that prepose to help us, should function within God’s plan for His creation.

When God created the Earth and the beasts, He said it was functional.

25God made the beasts of the earth after their kind, and the cattle after their kind, and everything that creeps on the ground after its kind; and God saw that it was good. (functional)

After God created man He said it was very good.
    the word “very” in this verse “meod” which means abundantly.
    31God saw all that He had made, and behold, it was very good.(abundantly functional) And there was evening and there was morning, the sixth day.

God does make a point that although His creation functions without man, it functions more abundantly with the addition of man.

As to the fall of man, it is clear that partaking of the tree of knowledge of Good (function) and evil (dysfunction) made man dysfunctional.
    Gen 2
    9Out of the ground the LORD God caused to grow every tree that is pleasing to the sight and good for food; the tree of life also in the midst of the garden, and the tree of the knowledge of good (function)and evil. (dysfunction)

17but from the tree of the knowledge of good (function) and evil (dysfunction)you shall not eat, for in the day that you eat from it you will surely die.”

Gen 3
    5″For God knows that in the day you eat from it your eyes will be opened, and you will be like God, knowing good (function)and evil.” (dysfunction)

Before the fall, man did not know dysfunction. He operated within a world that functioned perfectly as he did. It is also interesting to note that God set consequinces for man’s dysfunction. Now the Earth was cursed and man no longer could live in a functional world.

These type of understandings open up many scriptures.

For instance the story of Joseph. After being sold into slavery and then his brothers coming to Egypt for help he explains what happened.

Gen 50
    [20″As for you, you meant evil against me, but God meant it for good (function) in order to bring about this present result, to preserve many people alive.

Do you see the functionality in what happened to Joseph?

When mosses sent spies into Cannan, he sent them to se if the land ws functional or dysfunctional. As is common in hebrew writing things are said twice to bring clarity.Verse 19 Moses asks if the land is functional or dysfunctional. Verse 20 clarifies that question. Is tha land lean or fat? Is the land producing as functional land should? Are there trees or not. (Remember they have been wandering the desert for a generation. Having trees would be a sign of the lands functionality unlike the desert.) Seek to get some fruit of the land to ascertain it’s functionality.

Numbers 13
    19″How is the land in which they live, is it good(functional) or bad (dysfunctional)? And how are the cities in which they live, are they like open camps or with fortifications?

20″How is the land, is it fat or lean? Are there trees in it or not? Make an effort then to get some of the fruit of the land.” Now the time was the time of the first ripe grapes.

David makes a functional deal with Abner. We might have said, “That works!”

2 Samuel 3

12Then Abner sent messengers to David in his place, saying, “Whose is the land? Make your covenant with me, and behold, my hand shall be with you to bring all Israel over to you.”

13He said, “Good! (functional) I will make a covenant with you, but I demand one thing of you, namely, you shall not see my face unless you first bring Michal, Saul's daughter, when you come to see me.”

Ezra seeking Livites for the priesthood says this;
    Ezra 8:18

18According to the good (functional) hand of our God upon us they brought us a man of insight of the sons of Mahli, the son of Levi, the son of Israel, namely Sherebiah, and his sons and brothers, 18 men;

What God does is always functional. It works and produces something.

Notice in the following verses the action that is portrayed. The word good in these verses is speaking of God’s functionality.
    Psalms 119
    37Turn away my eyes from looking at vanity,
    And revive me in Your ways.
    38Establish Your word to Your servant,
    As that which produces reverence for You.
    39Turn away my reproach which I dread,
    For Your ordinances are good. (functional)
    40Behold, I long for Your precepts;
    Revive me through Your righteousness.

Psalms 118
    1Give thanks to the LORD, for He is good;(functional)
    For His lovingkindness is everlasting.

Proverbs 12
    1Whoever loves discipline loves knowledge,
    But he who hates reproof is stupid.
    2A good (functional)
    man will obtain favor from the LORD,
    But He will condemn a man who devises evil (Dysfunction).

Proverbs 28
    21To show partiality is not good, (functional)
    Because for a piece of bread a man will transgress.

Ecc 2
    24There is nothing better for a man than to eat and drink and tell himself that his labor is good (functional) This also I have seen that it is from the hand of God.

25For who can eat and who can have enjoyment without Him?

26For to a person who is good (functional) in His sight He has given wisdom and knowledge and joy, while to the sinner He has given the task of gathering and collecting so that he may give to one who is good (functional) in God's sight This too is vanity and striving after wind.

Faith itself is an action word. It requires an action to be functional. Some think that faith is simply knowing or believing, but the Hebrew teaches something different.
    Faith (emunah Heb.)
    Comes from the root word which means firm or secure. Additional Hebrew meanings are added when it is translated “faith”. The primary one being that of a craftsman. The resulting meaning is to have faith one must act with firmness towards God’s will.
    Real faith requires functionality. It requires a functional action to take place.

Though most of the New Testament was written in Greek. It was written by Hebrews and with Hebrew concepts. The Greek words translated “good” have much the same meaning.

1 Timothy 4:6
    If you point these things out to the brothers, you will be a good (functional) minister of Christ Jesus, brought up in the truths of the faith and of the good (functional) teaching that you have followed.

Titus 2:7
    In everything set them an example by doing what is good. (functional) In your teaching show integrity, seriousness

Hebrews 13:9
    Do not be carried away by all kinds of strange teachings. It is good (functional) for our hearts to be strengthened by grace, not by ceremonial foods, which are of no value to those who eat them.

Matthew 13:23
    “And the one on whom seed was sown on the good (functional) soil, this is the man who hears the word and understands it; who indeed bears fruit and brings forth, some a hundredfold, some sixty, and some thirty.”

Matthew 13:37
    And He said, “The one who sows the good (functional) seed is the Son of Man

Matthew 19:17
    And He said
    to him, “Why are you asking Me about what is good? (functional) There is only One who is good; (functional) but if you wish to enter into life, keep the commandments.”

Luke 8:15
    “But the seed in the good (functional) soil, these are the ones who have heard the word in an honest and good (functional) heart, and hold it fast, and bear fruit with perseverance.

Ephesians 4:28
    He who steals must steal no longer; but rather he must labor, performing with his own hands what is good, (Functional) so that he will have something to share with one who has need.

3 John 1:11
    Beloved, do not imitate what is evil (dysfunctional), but what is good (functional) The one who does what is good (functional) is of God; the one who does evil (dysfunction) has not seen God.

Titus 2:3
    Older women likewise are to be reverent in their behavior, not malicious gossips nor enslaved to much wine, teaching what is good, (functional)

Hebrews 13:9
    Do not be carried away by varied and strange teachings; for it is good (functional) for the heart to be strengthened by grace, not by foods, through which those who were so occupied were not benefited.

Titus 3:14
    Our people must also learn to engage in good (functional) deeds to meet pressing needs, so that they will not be unfruitful.

1 Corinthians 7:26
    I think then that this is good (functional) in view of the present distress, that it is good (functional) for a man to remain as he is.

1 Thessalonians 3:6
    But now that Timothy has come to us from you, and has brought us good (functional) news of your faith and love, and that you always think kindly of us, longing to see us just as we also long to see you,

1 Timothy 6:18
    Instruct them to do good,(what is functional) to be rich in good (functional) works, to be generous and ready to share,

Titus 3:8
    This is a trustworthy statement; and concerning these things I want you to speak confidently, so that those who have believed God will be careful to engage in good (functional) deeds. These things are good (functional) and profitable for men.

Good and Evil. Functional and dysfunctional.

Unfortunately there are those that still deal in dysfunction. It is true that many do this innocently enough but the results are the same. They continue to opperate in dysfunction and teach doctrines that are dysfunctional just as they are dysfunctional. Traditions that have been passed down from centuries of dysfunctional people, lost in the reverie of their philosophy. They have found a comfort in not shaking up their lives with notions that might over turn their dysfunction. They build their securities in the fact that millions have blindly followed these irrational concepts in the past. They are so settled in their folly that their eyes are glazed over and blinded to the irrationality of their stand. In most cases they love God and desire to know Him but their doctrines hinder them in their quest.

They intelectualize their processes and attempt hide their dysfunction in metiphisical or mystical formulas that seem so very wise to the uininitiated. The only safety, for a rational person, is to look at their end conclussions and see that they are wrong. If their end conclussions do not fit within the plan and purposes of God then their process is wrong. No matter how many times they attempt to impress you with their etherial processes, examine the end result.

Questions to ask —
    Does their conclussion help you to understand Christ or does it make Him seem more of an inigma?

Does their conclussion support, defend and promote the character of God in you and your brethren?

Does their conclussion make Christ a more viable example for you or less of one?

Does their conclussion help you to become like Christ or make it harder to accomplish?

Does their conclussion serve a purpose other then intelectual philosophical knowledge?

And finally — Does their conclussion make rational sense and stand up to logic?

If you come up with unfavorable answers to these questions, avoid the doctrines that they promote.

Tim2
    Participant

Martian,

I'll try to be rational here, ok?  :)

My first question is, on what basis do you translate the Hebrew in Genesis as “functional/dysfunctional,” rather than “good/evil”?  Every Bible I've seen translates them as good and evil.  How does the Septuagint translate them?  Is there any scholarship you can show us to support this translation?  

A passage that comes to mind is Job 2:10 -“Shall we receive good at the hand of God, and shall we not receive evil?”  Are these the same Hebrew words as in Genesis?  If so, how does it make sense to translate them as function/dysfunction here?  Again, Lamentations 3:38, “Out of the mouth of the Most High proceedeth not evil and good?”  

I agree that there appears to be a sense in the Bible, especially in the Old Testament, in which good and evil often indicate “benefit” and “harm” (as in the Job and Lamentations passages), but I'm concerned that viewing them purely functionally would rob them of their moral meaning as well.  Thus, I am concerned by statements such as,

God does make a point that although His creation functions without man, it functions more abundantly with the addition of man.

because they portray creation as a mechanical process.  I agree that creation has to function, but it's end isn't just to function but to glorify God.  So when Adam ate of the fruit of the tree, I think it detracts from Scripture to view this simply as a malfunction in creation rather than a morally evil, blatant, disobedient, rebellious treachery against God.  

Now I'm not sure how this relates to Jesus, except in terms of whether the doctrine concerning Him allows the church to “function” better or whether it impedes the functioning of the church.  So in answer to your questions:

Does their conclussion help you to understand Christ or does it make Him seem more of an inigma?

The creeds say that Jesus is God, so that helps us understand exactly Who He is.  Everything else I've seen makes him out to be much more of an enigma, saying he's some sort of angel or special man or some being with a divine nature we can't exactly define.

Does their conclussion support, defend and promote the character of God in you and your brethren?

Yes, for God is Love, and this is nowhere more clearly seen than in the cross.

Does their conclussion make Christ a more viable example for you or less of one?

Yes, because the creeds say Jesus is a man, with the same nature as us, like us in every way, and therefore we are capable of following Him.  If He were an angel, we couldn't be like Him.  If he were some sort of super-man that pre-existed as a human and created the heavens and the earth, we couldn't be like Him.

Does their conclussion help you to become like Christ or make it harder to accomplish?

Yes, because He is human, we can be like Him by grace.  Of course we can't be like Him in His Godhead, but that goal is never set for us in the Bible.

Does their conclussion serve a purpose other then intelectual philosophical knowledge?

Yes, the creeds give the worldwide church unity of faith and knowledge of the Son of God, so that the church is no longer children, tossed here and there by every wind of doctrine, but speaking the truth in love, the church is to grow up in all into Him who is the Head, Christ.  Ephesians 4:13-15.

Does their conclussion make rational sense and stand up to logic?

Yes.  The creeds might not stand up to your pre-conceived notions of what is logical, but they perfectly meet the only test that matters, the test of Scripture.

Tim

martian
    Participant

I'll try to be rational here, ok?

My first question is, on what basis do you translate the Hebrew in Genesis as “functional/dysfunctional,” rather than “good/evil”? Every Bible I've seen translates them as good and evil. How does the Septuagint translate them? Is there any scholarship you can show us to support this translation?

A passage that comes to mind is Job 2:10 -“Shall we receive good at the hand of God, and shall we not receive evil?” Are these the same Hebrew words as in Genesis? If so, how does it make sense to translate them as function/dysfunction here? Again, Lamentations 3:38, “Out of the mouth of the Most High proceedeth not evil and good?”

I agree that there appears to be a sense in the Bible, especially in the Old Testament, in which good and evil often indicate “benefit” and “harm” (as in the Job and Lamentations passages), but I'm concerned that viewing them purely functionally would rob them of their moral meaning as well. Thus, I am concerned by statements such as,

Response – I do not have time or the patience to teach you Hebrew. It is not germain to the real question.

because they portray creation as a mechanical process. I agree that creation has to function, but it's end isn't just to function but to glorify God. So when Adam ate of the fruit of the tree, I think it detracts from Scripture to view this simply as a malfunction in creation rather than a morally evil, blatant, disobedient, rebellious treachery against God.

Now I'm not sure how this relates to Jesus, except in terms of whether the doctrine concerning Him allows the church to “function” better or whether it impedes the functioning of the church. So in answer to your questions:

The creeds say that Jesus is God, so that helps us understand exactly Who He is. Everything else I've seen makes him out to be much more of an enigma, saying he's some sort of angel or special man or some being with a divine nature we can't exactly define.

Response – You have never seen me equate Jesus to some preexistant angel or super human being. I have always said that Jesus was completely human just like us. God created a human seed to inpregnate Mary. That is conjecture on the conception process but the end result makes sense.

Yes, for God is Love, and this is nowhere more clearly seen than in the cross.

Response –
    You say God is love yet conclude that God is going to judge us based on a creature that has the advantage of having a divine nature. Is that fair of God? It discredits God character and fairness.

Yes, because the creeds say Jesus is a man, with the same nature as us, like us in every way, and therefore we are capable of following Him. If He were an angel, we couldn't be like Him. If he were some sort of super-man that pre-existed as a human and created the heavens and the earth, we couldn't be like Him.

Response –
    You contradict yourself. You say Jesus has a nature like us. According to you he does not. He has a dual nature. He is human but he isn’t. This is the crux of the irrationality.

Yes, because He is human, we can be like Him by grace. Of course we can't be like Him in His Godhead, but that goal is never set for us in the Bible.

Response – First of all Godhead is a made up word in later translations just like Baptism instead of immersion. Made up to promote or disguise the truth. The word means diety. In Jesus dwelt the fullness of the deity or God. And in Hebrews we are commanded to have the fullness of God in us. We are heirs and joint heirs with Christ.

Yes, the creeds give the worldwide church unity of faith and knowledge of the Son of God, so that the church is no longer children, tossed here and there by every wind of doctrine, but speaking the truth in love, the church is to grow up in all into Him who is the Head, Christ. Ephesians 4:13-15.

Response –
    Again an contradiction Grow up in “all” things unto Him? You just said we could not do that. If you augment Christ humanity by giving him a dual nature you deny his use as an example for us. You open up an entire can of worms and ask us to identify by virtue of what nature Christ did every single act. Did He do it because of His devine nature or his human nature. Are you going to go through the Bible and sort them out for us so we know which things we can do with our single human nature and which things we cannot do.

Does their conclussion make rational sense and stand up to logic?
    Yes. The creeds might not stand up to your pre-conceived notions of what is logical, but they perfectly meet the only test that matters, the test of Scripture.

Response –
    My preconceived ideas of Logic? I suppose you are going to deny the very simple laws of reason and logic because they interfere with your doctrine? And you wonder why I call you irrational?

The test of scripture? Why are you now including scripture when the last couple of paragraphs talk of extra biblical creeds. These creeds are no more then others interpretations of what they think the scripture means. They are statements of faith based on their interpretation of scripture. You hold them up as if they are part of the cannon of scripture. If you want to do the test of scripture then a good start would be to throw out your preconceived ideas that originate in the creeds.

Secondly as I have said before I could go through a long list of principles that are fair and just and we could agree on them and begin Bible study. I do not feel like wasting my time because like others on this board when the principles begin to discredit your doctrine you will drop them. Because of your past performance and irrational behavior, I am quite convinced it would be a waste of time.

Third –
    The test of scripture is nothing more then an analesis of what we believe we have determined through our particular process of interpretation. That is the exact reason I use the test of function. I line conclusions up against the motives and intentions of God. His character and plan or supreme over any interpretation derived from scripture. Because you insist on sticking to an irrational and unreasonable concept of the nature of Christ there is no discussion possible with you. It would be again like I was talking to the owner of the supposed fully dog and fully cat pet. No matter how many times you show the mathematical impossibility of two 100% beings living inseperable within the same body or the genetic impossibility of it, if the owner of said pet will not accept the truth I would be wasting my time.
    If I have two ingredients such as God and Man. Distinct in attributes and function and and claim to combine 100% of each of these ingredients, I could not logically assume I have only one or the other at any given time. The combination would react, look, and function differently then either would separately. The combination would have capabilities together different then either would have separately by themselves. All of this would make Jesus different then the rest of humanity. You cannot disagree with this and remain in a rational thought process. If Jesus has a dual nature then he is different then the rest of humanity and you have failed your scriptural test. You have also failed my functional test because a different Jes
    us cannot be an example for us. Nor can God fairly judge us on the basis of a saviour that has in addition to his human nature an additional 100% divine nature.

Tim2
    Participant

I do not have time or the patience to teach you Hebrew. It is not germain to the real question.

Since you are proposing a different translation of the Hebrew than is contained in every English Bible, I think it is germain.

I have always said that Jesus was completely human just like us.

Then please explain how He created the heavens and the earth. Hebrews 1:10. And how all things are through Him. 1 Corinthians 8:6. Colossians 1:16.

He has a dual nature.

Maybe this is the cause of our problems. I may thoughtlessly said in the past that Jesus has a “dual nature.” But this is not true. He has two natures. A dual nature, to me anyway, is one nature, with two ingredients.. But Jesus has two natures, not one. So it is incorrect to say that He has a dual nature.

You open up an entire can of worms and ask us to identify by virtue of what nature Christ did every single act. Did He do it because of His devine nature or his human nature. Are you going to go through the Bible and sort them out for us so we know which things we can do with our single human nature and which things we cannot do.

Well as of His incarnation, the entire person of Christ does every single act, so the natures can't be separated. That is, they are both unified to the one Person and His actions. But of course the different natures enable Him to do different actions (hold all things together, eat, die, rise again).

I suppose you are going to deny the very simple laws of reason and logic because they interfere with your doctrine?

The doctrine is logical, you just have to check some of your basic assumptions about creation and not apply them to God. Obviously when two created natures unite they react to form a new nature, but this doesn't make sense with God. God cannot react to or be changed by creation. God remains God, no matter how immanent in creation He becomes. And creation isn't necessarily changed by the immediate presence of God, if God wills for it not to be changed, just as the burning bush was not consumed by the presence of YHWH. Exodus 3:2.

It would be again like I was talking to the owner of the supposed fully dog and fully cat pet. No matter how many times you show the mathematical impossibility of two 100% beings living inseperable within the same body or the genetic impossibility of it, if the owner of said pet will not accept the truth I would be wasting my time.

Yes, exactly. This is the case with created beings, like cats and dogs. But God is not created.

The combination would react, look, and function differently then either would separately.

No, as I said before, God doe not react with creation. He is unchangeable. And He can sovereignly cause creation not to react to His presence.

All of this would make Jesus different then the rest of humanity.

Ok, why don't we start here. Please, please just tell me how if Jesus is exactly the same as every human being, how did He create the heavens and the earth? How is He the Author of Life and the Lord of Glory? How did He have glory with the Father before the world existed? How is He the First and the Last, and the Beginning of the Creation of God?

You have also failed my functional test because a different Jesus cannot be an example for us. Nor can God fairly judge us on the basis of a saviour that has in addition to his human nature an additional 100% divine nature.

After the author of Hebrews says that Jesus created the heavens and the earth, it says that He partook of flesh and blood and was made like His brethren in all things. Paul says that after Jesus existed in the form of God, He took the form of a servant. Clearly Christ is portrayed as being Something other than man, and then taking on the nature of man. He assumed our nature without His eternal nature being changed. This might be difficult to understand, but it's what the Bible says. Please explain how Jesus laid the foundation of the earth if He is only a man.

Tim

NickHassan
    Participant

Hi Tim2
    You say

“No, as I said before, God doe not react with creation. He is unchangeable. And He can sovereignly cause creation not to react to His presence.”

Is this what you mean by the conception of Jesus which was the same in greek word usage as the conception of John the Baptist

and
    “Ok, why don't we start here. Please, please just tell me how if Jesus is exactly the same as every human being, how did He create the heavens and the earth? How is He the Author of Life and the Lord of Glory? How did He have glory with the Father before the world existed? How is He the First and the Last, and the Beginning of the Creation of God?”

Do you mean that if he emptied himself and partook of flesh then he could not be not a man like us? Scripture calls him a man and you should too. You should not deny scripture. We cannot follow God.

NickHassan
    Participant

a familiar theme

NickHassan
    Participant

Hi martian,
    Functionality may be an aspect of goodness
    but
    I do not eat apples just because they are functional.
    I do not buy paintings just because they are functional.

Pragmatic usefulness is not all there is to beauty.

martian
    Participant

Quote (Nick Hassan @ Dec. 11 2007,12:54)
    Hi martian,
    Functionality may be an aspect of goodness
    but
    I do not eat apples just because they are functional.
    I do not buy paintings just because they are functional.

Pragmatic usefulness is not all there is to beauty.

I was not speaking of beauty in that beauty has nothing to do with functionality. If something functions it may be beautifull, but the beauty is derived from it's functionality. My words are erfering to how a doctrine works. Does Jesus be a God make him more or less of an example for us. Does it make him more viable as an example or less. Can any of us duplicate the acts of a God? Even though we are taught that we will do greater things. Greater then a God?
    God does not del in abstract knowledge for the purpose of teaching. He gives us teaching to help us become like Christ and complete His plan for us. Does the doctrine of the Trinity that makes Jesus less of an example and less likely to be able to follow him work to help God's plan for us or hnder it?

GeneBalthrop
    Participant

Martian…..> the doctrine of Trinity deminnishes Jesus likeness of Us and causes us to seperate ourselves from likeness, it workes like this, we all know we are not god's so if we think Jesus is a God then we think we are not truly like Him, so a seperation accures in our identity with Jesus. The doctrine of the Trinity has done more damage in true Christianity then anything else ever has, it is this very corruption that has dammaged so many people's thinking in the past and also does today.
    IMO…….gene

NickHassan
    Participant

Hi martian,
    Is God functional? You destroy the fullness of meaning of GOOD

martian
    Participant

Quote (Gene Balthrop @ Dec. 13 2007,03:58)
    Martian…..> the doctrine of Trinity deminnishes Jesus likeness of Us and causes us to seperate ourselves from likeness, it workes like this, we all know we are not god's so if we think Jesus is a God then we think we are not truly like Him, so a seperation accures in our identity with Jesus. The doctrine of the Trinity has done more damage in true Christianity then anything else ever has, it is this very corruption that has dammaged so many people's thinking in the past and also does today.
    IMO…….gene

Exctly right. Without the full humanity of Christ he cannot be the perfect example for us.

IM4Truth
    Participant

Quote (martian @ Dec. 13 2007,05:33)

Quote (Gene Balthrop @ Dec. 13 2007,03:58)
    IMO…….gene

Exctly right. Without the full humanity of Christ he cannot be the perfect example for us.

You are taking an important part of what Jesus is, when you say that He was only Human. He was the firstborn of all creation. He came forth from the Father. Not from the dust of the earth like we. He was conceived by God's Holy Spirit.
    Read and study Col. 1:14-18 and Proverbs 8:22 and Rev. 3:14

Peace and Love Mrs.

NickHassan
    Participant

Hi Im4,
    Mary was of the dust of earth and Christ was conceived of her too
    to be exactly as we are with no advantage accruing from his life with God.

IM4Truth
    Participant

Quote (Nick Hassan @ Dec. 13 2007,08:26)
    Hi Im4,
    Mary was of the dust of earth and Christ was conceived of her too
    to be exactly as we are with no advantage accruing from his life with God.

You did'nt study those scriptures did you?

Peace and Love Mrs.

NickHassan
    Participant

Hi IM4,
    Was Jesus not a man?
    Acts 2
    22Ye men of Israel, hear these words; Jesus of Nazareth, a man approved of God among you by miracles and wonders and signs, which God did by him in the midst of you, as ye yourselves also know:

1 Timothy 2:5
    For there is one God, and one mediator between God and men, the man Christ Jesus;

If scripture says he was a man should you argue that he was not but rather a superman?

His powers were not his own from his beginnings but he was a normal man anointed by God with the Holy Spirit and power.

Acts 10
    38How God anointed Jesus of Nazareth with the Holy Ghost and with power: who went about doing good, and healing all that were oppressed of the devil; for God was with him.

NickHassan
    Participant

Hi martian,
    If a wheel falls off my lawnmower
    and is becomes dysfunctional
    does that make it evil?

martian
    Participant

Quote (Nick Hassan @ Dec. 13 2007,12:12)
    Hi martian,
    If a wheel falls off my lawnmower
    and is becomes dysfunctional
    does that make it evil?

Will your lawnmower fullfill it's function as it was designed. All doctrines, if of God are designed to help us to become like Christ. So-called doctrines that do not do this or actually hinder this process cannot be designed by God.

NickHassan
    Participant

Hi m,
    No.
    So IT IS EVIL!

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 1999 - 2024 Heaven Net

Navigation

© 1999 - 2023 - Heaven Net
or

or    

Forgot your details?

or

Create Account