Free Will?

Viewing 20 posts - 641 through 660 (of 3,826 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Quote (Not3in1 @ Sep. 19 2008,05:55)
    Romans 7:8
    But sin, seizing the opportunity afforded by the commandment, produced in me every kind of covetous desire. For apart from law, sin is dead.

I understand we are not under the Law.  My point was that the Commandments did indeed stimulate desires for what was to be avoided.  And isn't that curious?

Though most Christians believe we are not under the Law but we are freed from those lists of regulations…….our human natures are still bound to sin.  This is why Paul said (and he was speaking as one not under the Law anymore), that the very thing he didn't want to do – that he did!!!  We are no better than Paul, I'm afraid.

Thanks,
    Mandy

No, Mandy:

I know that it seems to say that it stimulates one to sin, but what the law does is give us knowledge of sin, and thereby shows us, that is under the law, shows us that we have all these evil desires within our hearts.  And so, by this we know that we need a saviour.  The law shows us that we are condemned having broken the Law of God.

The following commentary may be helpful in understanding this:

http://www.blueletterbible.org/cgi-bin….ct.y=11

God would never give us the Law to stimulate us to sin.  He would be working against Himself if He did that.

God Bless

Participant

Quote (Nick Hassan @ Sep. 18 2008,15:31)
    Hi 94,
    Universalism is not christianity.
    It is a philosophy

True. Hopefully, we can show someone the truth.

God Bless

Participant

Quote (chosenone @ Sep. 18 2008,18:25)
    Hi 942767.
        Ro.14:11 … for it is written: Living am I, the Lord is saying, For to Me shall bow every knee, And every tongue shall be acclaiming God!

Nick.
        1Tim.4:9 …10 (for for this are we toiling and being reproached), that we rely on the living God, Who is the Saviour of all mankind,

Scripture is truth.

Blessings.

Hi CO:

When you take a verse of scripture out of context as you have Romans 14:11 it is subject to misinterpretation. Here it is in context. What does it say?

Rom 14:8 For whether we live, we live unto the Lord; and whether we die, we die unto the Lord: whether we live therefore, or die, we are the Lord's.

Rom 14:9 For to this end Christ both died, and rose, and revived, that he might be Lord both of the dead and living.

Rom 14:10 But why dost thou judge thy brother? or why dost thou set at nought thy brother? for we shall all stand before the judgment seat of Christ.

Rom 14:11 For it is written, [As] I live, saith the Lord, every knee shall bow to me, and every tongue shall confess to God.

Rom 14:12 So then every one of us shall give account of himself to God.

GeneBalthrop
    Participant

942767…..did chosenone take 1 Tim 4:9 out of context to then. It plainly says the we rely on God, who is the savior of (ALL) mankind.

I suppose where it says,, God has concluded all under sin that he might have mercy on (ALL). doesn't mean that either. And where it says God is not willing that any parish, and God says I will perform (ALL) my WILL does he really mean that?. If God can save a wretch like me He certainly can save anyone he choses to 942767. IMO and the apostle Paul's also.

NickHassan
    Participant

GB,
    Is it ok to take bits of verses and tie them all together to make a doctrine?
    Surely that would only make a human one.

There are better approaches to sacred scripture

GeneBalthrop
    Participant

Nick…..yes it is, I believe all scripture is given for proof and reproof. imo

NickHassan
    Participant

GB,
    Patchwork doctrines are of men.

GeneBalthrop
    Participant

Nick…..isn't that what you do many times just quote part of a verse like you do with the fear and thimbling then. People in glass houses should not throw rocks Nick. imo

NickHassan
    Participant

Gb,
    I am more interested in building but getting folk to agree we should start with scripture proves surprisingly difficult.

Luke 6:48
    He is like a man which built an house, and digged deep, and laid the foundation on a rock: and when the flood arose, the stream beat vehemently upon that house, and could not shake it: for it was founded upon a rock.

chosenone
    Participant

Quote (Tiffany @ Sep. 19 2008,06:39)

Quote (Tiffany @ Sep. 18 2008,02:34)

Quote (chosenone @ Sep. 17 2008,16:38)

Quote (942767 @ Sep. 15 2008,05:51)
    Hi Chosenone and Gene:

On what basis did God choose you over someone else?

Hi 942767.
         Only God knows whom He has chosen first,  all will be saved at the consummation.  See 1Cor.15:24-28.

Blessings.

chosenone what are you saying that all will be saved? There are millions that will go with Antichrist, and Satan after they have known nothing but God's Truth taught by Jesus in the Millenium. After that Satan will be loosed and will deceive many.
    The scripture that you are quoting is for those that have made it and are the Sons of God. Not all will be saved. Only those that have endured until the end. Then God will be all in all. 1 Corimth. 15:28
    Peace and Love Irene

You did not anwered my question!
    Irene

Hi Irene.
    In describing Himself, God says in Isaiah 46:10 “All My desire I will do”… HIS WORDS. And in 1Tim.2:4 He (God) says …”Who wills that all mankind be saved”… Is not Gods word absolute? Can He fail to do what He desires?
    If His revealed word is not truth, then obviously can any scripture be believed?

Blessings.

chosenone
    Participant

Quote (Nick Hassan @ Sep. 19 2008,15:40)
    Gb,
    I am more interested in building but getting folk to agree we should start with scripture proves surprisingly difficult.

Luke 6:48
    He is like a man which built an house, and digged deep, and laid the foundation on a rock: and when the flood arose, the stream beat vehemently upon that house, and could not shake it: for it was founded upon a rock.

Those that try to agree with scripture, just can't seem to agree to what Jesus said in Matt.15:24.

Blessings.

NickHassan
    Participant

Quote (chosenone @ Sep. 19 2008,18:07)

Quote (Tiffany @ Sep. 19 2008,06:39)

Quote (Tiffany @ Sep. 18 2008,02:34)

Quote (chosenone @ Sep. 17 2008,16:38)

Quote (942767 @ Sep. 15 2008,05:51)
    Hi Chosenone and Gene:

On what basis did God choose you over someone else?

Hi 942767.
         Only God knows whom He has chosen first,  all will be saved at the consummation.  See 1Cor.15:24-28.

Blessings.

chosenone what are you saying that all will be saved? There are millions that will go with Antichrist, and Satan after they have known nothing but God's Truth taught by Jesus in the Millenium. After that Satan will be loosed and will deceive many.
    The scripture that you are quoting is for those that have made it and are the Sons of God. Not all will be saved. Only those that have endured until the end. Then God will be all in all. 1 Corimth. 15:28
    Peace and Love Irene

You did not anwered my question!
    Irene

Hi Irene.
        In describing Himself, God says in Isaiah 46:10 “All My desire I will do”…  HIS WORDS.  And in 1Tim.2:4 He (God) says …”Who wills that all mankind be saved”…  Is not Gods word absolute?  Can He fail to do what He desires?  
        If His revealed word is  not truth, then obviously can any scripture be believed?

Blessings.

Hi CO,
    You are flogging a dead universalist horse.

God does not need you to patch together some verses to find a possible hidden plan to save all men.

He speaks plainly.

You should read the gospels as their invitations now are to all to repent.

Participant

Quote (Gene Balthrop @ Sep. 19 2008,14:51)
    942767…..did chosenone take 1 Tim 4:9 out of context to then. It plainly says the we rely on God, who is the savior of (ALL) mankind.

I suppose where it says,, God has concluded all under sin that he might have mercy on (ALL). doesn't mean that either. And where it says God is not willing that any parish, and God says I will perform (ALL) my WILL does he really mean that?.  If God can save a wretch like me He certainly can save anyone he choses to 942767. IMO and the  apostle Paul's also.

Hi Gene and Co.

Mercy is offered to All of humanity.  Salvation is a gift from God conditional upon the following scriptures:

Jhn 3:16  For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.
    Jhn 3:17  For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved.

God Bless

chosenone
    Participant

Quote (942767 @ Sep. 20 2008,00:54)

I suppose where it says,, God has concluded all under sin that he might have mercy on (ALL). doesn't mean that either. And where it says God is not willing that any parish, and God says I will perform (ALL) my WILL does he really mean that?.  If God can save a wretch like me He certainly can save anyone he choses to 942767. IMO and the  apostle Paul's also.

Hi Gene and Co.

Mercy is offered to All of humanity.  Salvation is a gift from God conditional upon the following scriptures:

Jhn 3:16  For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.
    Jhn 3:17  For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved.

God Bless

Hi 942767.
    Scripture you use from the book of John, one of the four Gospels, was Jesus speaking to Israel.
    See Matt.15:24. …”Now He, (Jesus) answering, said, “I was not commissioned except for the lost sheep of the house of Israel.”
    We can't use scripture that was meant for the “Jews” as for all of us. Read all scripture in context of what the whole bible is saying. All scripture is “FOR” us, but not all scripture is ABOUT US. We must “correctly cut the word of truth (2Tim.2:15)

Blessings.

NickHassan
    Participant

Hi CO,
    One gospel and four servants to write it.
    Surely the kingdom Jesus preached is open to you?

chosenone
    Participant

Quote (Nick Hassan @ Sep. 20 2008,07:13)
    Hi CO,
    One gospel and four servants to write it.
    Surely the kingdom Jesus preached is open to you?

Nick.
    The Kingdom Jesus preached to the Jews was an “earthly” one, the “promised land”. (read scripture) They never realised this destination.
    The destination of the “saints” is a “celestial” one. But oh, I forgot, you still think Jesus teaching is “For us” as well. No wonder you're so confused.

Blessings.

NickHassan
    Participant

Hi CO,
    Just one gospel and one kingdom.
    One earthly kingdom, the kingdom of heaven.
    Preached now and entered new and it's fullness when the king returns
    It is called that because it is of heaven and God and it will be ruled from the seat of David.

Is it you hope to introduce confusion?.

Participant

Quote (chosenone @ Sep. 20 2008,07:11)

Quote (942767 @ Sep. 20 2008,00:54)

Hi Gene and Co.

God Bless

Hi 942767.
        Scripture you use from the book of John, one of the four Gospels, was Jesus speaking to Israel.  
    See Matt.15:24.  …”Now He, (Jesus) answering, said, “I was not commissioned except for the lost sheep of the house of Israel.”
        We can't use scripture that was meant for the “Jews” as for all of us.  Read all scripture in context of what the whole bible is saying.  All scripture is “FOR” us, but not all scripture is ABOUT US.  We must “correctly cut the word of truth (2Tim.2:15)

Blessings.

Hi Co:

The scripture states “For God so loved the world”, and not “For God so loved Israel”, and “that the world (not just Israel) might be saved through him”.

I agree that we must correctly interpret and teach the word of God.

Jesus commissioned the Apostles as follows:

Mat 28:18  And Jesus came and spake unto them, saying, All power is given unto me in heaven and in earth.
    Mat 28:19  Go ye therefore, and teach all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost:
    Mat 28:20  Teaching them to observe all things whatsoever I have commanded you: and, lo, I am with you alway, [even] unto the end of the world. Amen.

He says “teach all nations”  and “teaching them whatsoever I have commanded you”, and not just Israel.

And this scripture, Jesus instructing the Apostles:

Act 1:8  But ye shall receive power, after that the Holy Ghost is come upon you: and ye shall be witnesses unto me both in Jerusalem, and in all Judaea, and in Samaria, and unto the uttermost part of the earth.

God Bless

Participant

Hi Gene:

This is that series of 1 Ti 4 in context:

1Ti 4:1 ¶ Now the Spirit speaketh expressly, that in the latter times some shall depart from the faith, giving heed to seducing spirits, and doctrines of devils;
    1Ti 4:2 Speaking lies in hypocrisy; having their conscience seared with a hot iron;
    1Ti 4:3 Forbidding to marry, [and commanding] to abstain from meats, which God hath created to be received with thanksgiving of them which believe and know the truth.
    1Ti 4:4 For every creature of God [is] good, and nothing to be refused, if it be received with thanksgiving:
    1Ti 4:5 For it is sanctified by the word of God and prayer.
    1Ti 4:6 ¶ If thou put the brethren in remembrance of these things, thou shalt be a good minister of Jesus Christ, nourished up in the words of faith and of good doctrine, whereunto thou hast attained.
    1Ti 4:7 But refuse profane and old wives' fables, and exercise thyself [rather] unto godliness.
    1Ti 4:8 For bodily exercise profiteth little: but godliness is profitable unto all things, having promise of the life that now is, and of that which is to come.
    1Ti 4:9 This [is] a faithful saying and worthy of all acceptation.
    1Ti 4:10 For therefore we both labour and suffer reproach, because we trust in the living God, who is the Saviour of all men, specially of those that believe.

1 Ti 4:1 says that some will depart from the faith.

gollamudi
    Participant

Hi brother 942767,
    I want to ask you one question;
    How Jesus became the Savior of the world that was before his crucifixon and how can he save people who do not get opportunity to know about him even in this present world ?

Thanks and peace to you
    ADAM

Viewing 20 posts - 641 through 660 (of 3,826 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 1999 - 2024 Heaven Net

Navigation

© 1999 - 2023 - Heaven Net
or

or    

Forgot your details?

or

Create Account