Explanation of verses calling Jesus as God

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 13 posts - 21 through 33 (of 33 total)
  • Author
    jhenTux
    Participant

tnx for those inputs. how about this verse:
    Joh 1:1 In the beginning was the Word: and the Word was with God: and the Word was God.

some say that “theos” must have an article. kindly explain it. tnx.

NickHassan
    Participant

Hi jh,
    Well he was not the God he was with.
    Many are called gods in scripture.
    But for us ONE GOD, the Father.

1Cor 8
    4As concerning therefore the eating of those things that are offered in sacrifice unto idols, we know that an idol is nothing in the world, and that there is none other God but one.

5For though there be that are called gods, whether in heaven or in earth, (as there be gods many, and lords many,)

6But to us there is but one God, the Father, of whom are all things, and we in him; and one Lord Jesus Christ, by whom are all things, and we by him.

Samuel
    Participant

You know…I'd be willing to give up another rib to get Jesus back down here to straighten out everything we have so sorely messed up.

No one would listen even still though….most likely.

Heck! We would not even listen to him the first time.

John 1:10
    He was in the world, and the world was made by him, and the world knew him not.

What is it going to take to get us “Locked On Target”?
    I don't even know how GOD puts up with our “Hard-Headedness”.
    I'd go nuts!

Aren't you glad he does though?

david
    Participant

ROMANS 16:27
    “to God, wise alone, be the glory through Jesus Christ forever. Amen.”–NW
    “To God only wise, be glory through Jesus Christ for ever. Amen.”–KJ

Does saying that Jehovah is wise alone mean that no one else is wise? No, it means that comparitively speaking, no one else is wise.

Similarly, with this:

(Mark 10:18) “Jesus said to him: “Why do you call me good? Nobody is good, except one, God.”
    Of course, many people are rightly called “good.” But that was not the point being made.

Similarly, when we read:
    (John 17:3) “This means everlasting life, their taking in knowledge of you, the only true God, and of the one whom you sent forth, Jesus Christ.”

We see 2 distinct ones here: Jesus and the one that sent Jesus, the only true God.
    Yet Jesus is also called God. Does this mean he is the only true God, or does it mean that compared to all else, Jehovah is God Almighty, the only “true” “might one.”
    God basically means powerful one or mighty one. Hence, the angels, satan, human judges, all called gods. They were all mighty ones.

An angel is a mighty one to us, but not to Jehovah. Jehovah is a mighty one (God) to them, to everyone.
    Jesus is certainly a mighty one (God) to us, but not compared to Jehovah who alone is called “Almighty” in scripture.

So, the explanation for verses calling Jesus “God” is basically:

God means “mighty one.”
    Jesus certainly is a mighty one.
    But Jehovah alone is God compared to everyone else, hence, the only true mighty one.

It's been a while. I'm wondering how trinitarians reply to this.

NickHassan
    Participant

Hi,
    The people in Israel understood that Jesus was not their God even when they said

Luke 7:16
    Fear gripped them all, and they began glorifying God, saying, “A great prophet has arisen among us!” and, “God has visited His people!”

jhenTux
    Participant

Another verse, as a matter of fact, one of the many favorite when i'm in discussion with my trinitarian friends. :)

1Jn 5:20 And we are certain that the Son of God has come, and has given us a clear vision, so that we may see him who is true, and we are in him who is true, in his Son Jesus Christ. He is the true God and eternal life.

who is the subject here? the one being introduced? they say it's Jesus so their conclusion is on the last sentence of the said verse “He is the true God and eternal life.”

NickHassan
    Participant

Hi JH
    20 And we know that the Son of God is come, and hath given us an understanding, that we may know him that is true, and we are in him that is true, even in his Son Jesus Christ. This is the true God, and eternal life.

So we know Him Who is true
    and we are in Him Who is true
    – by being in His Son Jesus Christ.

We know and are in the True Father God

jhenTux
    Participant

verse they say explains the diety of Jesus

Col. 2:9 “For in Christ all the fullness of the Deity lives in bodily form”

The One
    Participant

jhentux,
    You quoted Col.2:9,but did not seemingly read Col.1:19 which says”For it was the Father's good pleasure for all the fullness to dwell in Him” This passage states clearly that God(the Father)wanted Jesus to have THE fATHER'S DIETY dwell in Him(as again Christ Himself states in John 14:10
    where Jesus tells Phiilip”The words I say to you I do not speak on my own initiative,BUT THE FATHER ABIDING IN ME DOES”HIS WORKS.”

If Jesus possessed His own diety,why did He need that of the Father abiding in Him?!Also,if Jesus was “equal”to the Father,why in John 20:17 Jesus call the Father”HIS GOD”?
    Does diety have a God?

Furthermore,in John 6:57,Jesus says He exists because of the Father,”As the LIVING FATHER sent me,and I LIVE BECAUSE OF THE FATHER,…”So how is Jesus eternal being as He himself says He had a beginning?Jesus did not say”I live physically”,or”I live spiritually”because of the Father.He makes a blanket statement covering His existance.

The attributes of diety Jesus possessed were tied directly
    to the fact that God(the Father)dwelt in Him.And Jesus also says His words were not His own,and in fact He was taught
    what to say(John7:16,John 5:19John8:26,38,…)In fact,Peter in ACTS2:22 states the same thing.That God performed through Christ.Jesus was a vessel of God,NOT God Himself.

I hope these passages help.

The One
    Participant

jhentux,
    Also,about John 1:1-3.I come from a trinity background,and when I discovered the truth,this passage made sense.Read with me.

” In the beginning”(this is creation,because we know from scripture that God has always been and always will be.So the
    only beginning we as the created could comprehend would be the creation of this world and God Himself never had a beginning.)”was the Word”.Jesus is called by name in Rev.19:13 as”the Word of God”.Why?Because as my last post says,Jesus spoke God's Word and was the vessel through whom God performed His(the Father's)deeds and spoke to
    man.John 14:10

“and the Word was WITH God,”Jesus was there in heaven with His God,”and the Word was God”that which Jesus spoke and did(would speak and do)WAS GOD.This was the two parts of Christ.His spiritual life(with God),and that which was given to Him of the Father(was God)

If you read the passages in my last post,to me,this becomes clear and is backed up by irrefutable scripural evidence.

jhenTux
    Participant

well said The One. i'll post more the verses used by my trinitarian friends when we're in discussion. hope to hear more from you. :)

Tonycb
    Participant

1. Is the word trinity in the Bible? No.
    2. Does the Bible say that there are three persons in the Godhead? No.
    3. Does the Bible speak of the Father, Son, and Holy Ghost? Yes
    4. Do these titles as used in Matthew 28:19 mean that there are three separate and distinct persons in the Godhead? No, they refer to three offices, roles, or relationships to humanity.
    5. Does the Bible use the word three in reference to God? Only one verse in the entire Bible does so–1 John 5:7. It speaks of the father, the Word (instead of Son), and the Holy Ghost, and it concludes by saying, “These three are one.”
    6. Does the Bible use the word one in reference to God? Yes, many times. For example, see Zechariah 14:9; Malachi 2:10; Matthew 23:9; Mark 12:29, 32; John 8:41; 10:30; Romans 3:30; 1 Corinthians 8:4; Galations 3:20; 1 Timothy 2:5; James 2:19.
    7. Can the mystery of the Godhead be understood? Yes. Romans 1:20; Colossians 2:9; 1 Timothy 3:16.
    8. Does a Christian only have one Heavenly Father? Yes. Matthew 23:9.
    9. Then why did Jesus say to Philip, “He that hath seen me hath seen the Father” (John 14:9)? Because Jesus is the express image of God's person. Hebrews 1:3. The Greek word for person in this verse literally means “substance.”
    10. Does the Bible say that there are two persons in the Godhead? No.
    11. Does the Bible say that all the Godhead is revealed in one person? Yes, in Jesus Christ. II Corinthians 4:4; Colossians 1:19; 2:9; Hebrews 1:3.
    12. Is the mystery of the Deity hidden from some people? Yes. Luke 10:21-22.
    13. Who is the Father? The Father is the one God, particularly as revealed in parental relationship to humanity. Deuteronomy 32:6; Malachi 2:10.
    14. Where was God the Father while Jesus was on earth? The Father was in Christ. John 14:10; II Corinthians 5:19. He was also in Heaven, for God is omnipresent.
    15. Did the prophet Isaiah say that Jesus would be the Father? Yes. Isaiah 9:6; 63:16.
    16. When God said, “Let us make man in our image” (Genesis 1:26), was He speaking to another person in the Godhead? No. Isaiah 44:24; Malachi 2:10.
    17. How many of God's qualities were in Christ? All. Colossians 2:9.
    18. How may we see the God who sent Jesus into the world? By seeing Jesus. John 12:44-45; 14:9.
    19. Does the Bible say that Jesus is the Almighty? Yes. Revelation 1:8.
    20. Whom do some designate as the first person in the trinity? God the Father.
    21. Whom do some designate as the last person in the trinity? The Holy Ghost. But Jesus said that He was the first and the last. Revelation 1:17-18.
    22. How many persons did John see sitting on the throne in Heaven? One. Revelation 4:2.
    23. If Jesus is the first and the last, why did God say in Isaiah 44:6 that He was the first and the last? Because Jesus is the God of the Old Testament incarnate.
    24. Did Jesus tell Satan that God alone should be worshiped? Yes. Matthew 4:10.
    25. Does the devil believe in more than one God? No. James 2:19.
    26. Does the Bible say that God, who is the Word, was made flesh? Yes. John 1:1, 14.
    27. For what purpose was God manifested in the flesh? To save sinners. Hebrews 2:9, 14.
    28. Was Jesus God manifested in the flesh? Yes. I Timothy 3:16.
    29. Could Jesus have been on earth and in heaven at the same time? Yes. John 3:13.
    30. Does the Bible say that there is but one Lord? Yes. Isaiah 45:18; Ephesians 4:5.
    31. Does the Bible say that Christ is the Lord? Yes. Luke 2:11.
    32. Does the Bible say that the Lord is God? Yes. 1 Kings 18:39; Zechariah 14:5; Acts 2:39; Revelation 19:1.
    33. How could the church belong to Jesus (Matthew 16:18) and yet be the church of God (1 Corinthians 10:32)? Because Jesus is God in the flesh.
    34. Will God give His glory to another? No. Isaiah 42:8.
    35. Was there a God formed before Jehovah, or will there be one formed after? No. Isaiah 43:10.
    36. What is one thing that God does not know? Another God. Isaiah 44:8
    37. What is one thing that God cannot do? Lie. Titus 1:2.
    38. How many Gods should we know? Only one. Hosea 13:4.
    39. How many names has the Lord? One. Zechariah 14:9.
    40. Is it good to think upon the name of the Lord? Yes. Malachi 3:16.
    41. Does the Bible say that God alone treads upon the waves of the sea? Yes. Job 9:8
    42. Why, then, was Jesus able to walk upon the Sea of Galilee (Matthew 14:25)? Because He is God the Creator. Colossians 1:16.
    43. Is God the only one who can forgive sin? Yes. Isaiah 43:25; Mark 2:7.
    44. Why, then, could Jesus forgive sin in Mark 2:5-11? Because He is God the Savior.
    45. Is Jesus the true God? Yes. 1 John 5:20.
    46. If God and the Holy Ghost are two separate persons, which was the Father of Christ? Matthew 1:20 says that the Holy Ghost was the Father, while Romans 15:6, II Corinthians 11:31, and Ephesians 1:3 say that God was the Father. There is no contradiction when we realize that God the Father and the Holy Ghost are one and the same Spirit. Matthew 10:20; Ephesians 4:4; 1 Corinthians 3:16.
    47. When Paul asked the Lord who He was, what was the answer? “I am Jesus.” Acts 9:5
    48. While Stephen was dying, did he call God Jesus? Yes. Acts 7:59
    49. Did Thomas ever call Jesus God? Yes. John 20:28.
    50. How could Jesus be the Savior, when God the Father said in Isaiah 43:11, “Beside me there is no saviour”? Because “God was in Christ, reconciling the world unto Himself.” II Corinthians 5:19.
    51. Does the Bible say that Jesus was God with us? Yes. Matthew 1:23.
    52. Did Jesus ever say, “I and my Father are one”? Yes. John 10:30.
    53. Can it be proved scripturally that Jesus and the Father are one in the same sense that husband and wife are one? No. The Godhead was never compared to the relationship of a husband and wife. Jesus identified Himself with the Father in a way that husband and wife cannot be identified with each other. John 14:9-11.
    54. Does the Bible say that there is only one wise God? Yes. Jude 25.
    55. Does the Bible call the Holy Ghost a second or third person in the Godhead? No. The Holy Ghost is the one Spirit of God, the one God Himself at work in our lives. John 4:24; 1 Corinthians 3:16-17; 6:19; 12:13.
    56. Can trinitarians show that three divine persons were present when Jesus was baptized by John? Absolutely not. The one, omnipresent God used three simultaneous manifestations. Only one divine person was present–Jesus Christ the Lord.
    57. Then what were the other two of whom trinitarians speak? One was a voice from heaven; the other was the Spirit of God in the form of a dove. Matthew 3:16-17.
    58. What did the voice say at Jesus' baptism? “Thou art my beloved Son, in whom I am well pleased.” Mark 1:11. As the Son of God, Jesus was the one God incarnate.
    59. Does the Bible say that God shed His blood and that God laid down His life for us? Yes. Acts 20:28; I John 3:16. God was able to do this because He had taken upon Himself a human body.
    60. The Bible says that God is coming back with all His saints (Zechariah 14:5) and also that Jesus is coming back with all His saints (1 Thessalonians 3:13). Are two coming back? No. Only one is coming back–our great God and Savior, Jesus Christ. Titus 3:13

Artizan007
    Participant

Hi, The One,

I see you used Revelation 19:13 to depict the Word of God.

I am interested to hear what you think is the hidden name referred to in this verse. Faithful and True, Word of God, or King of Kings and Lord of Lords or some other name… so many names so many metaphors… why could God not have revealed something a little more simple to John, called Jesus “Jesus” and not lamb, word, son of man so on & so forth… 😉

It is a a name known only to himself… and do you think includes the Father not knowing – that is, mystery of his name?

Curious.

Who is this rider on the White horse, is he the same as the one in Rev 6?

In 1:v1, is it the revelation of JC or the revelation from JC…?

Viewing 13 posts - 21 through 33 (of 33 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 1999 - 2024 Heaven Net

Navigation

© 1999 - 2023 - Heaven Net
or

or    

Forgot your details?

or

Create Account