Did God die on the cross

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 20 posts - 441 through 460 (of 497 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Quote (Lightenup @ Feb. 28 2012,13:31)

Quote (942767 @ Feb. 26 2012,19:26)

Quote (Lightenup @ Feb. 27 2012,10:06)
    Marty,
    The passages that I posted are in regards to the church, not the nation of Israel. Jesus is the husband to the church.

Kathi

Hi Kathi:

You tried to use an OT scripture relating to the nation of Israel to show that God is the husband of Israel and therefore, since the scriptures show that Jesus is the husband of the church, Jesus is God.

And what I have shown you is that Jesus by his own words stated that he is not God.  

He is the husband of the church, and the church is the Israel of God.

Love in Christ,
    Marty

Marty,
    The church is made up of the Jew and the Gentile believers and Christ is the husband of that church. The passage in the OT is in regards to how the husband of the church is going to bring many children into her.

The church is not referred to as the new Israel, or the spiritual Israel but as the new Jerusalem and sometimes Zion.

Kathi

Hi Kathi:

Gal 6:14 But God forbid that I should glory, save in the cross of our Lord Jesus Christ, by whom the world is crucified unto me, and I unto the world.

Gal 6:15 For in Christ Jesus neither circumcision availeth any thing, nor uncircumcision, but a new creature.

Gal 6:16 ¶ And as many as walk according to this rule, peace [be] on them, and mercy, and upon the Israel of God.

Love in Christ,
    Marty

Lightenup
    Participant

Quote (942767 @ Mar. 03 2012,17:53)

Quote (Lightenup @ Feb. 28 2012,13:24)
    Nick and Marty and Mike,
    In regards to the church, who is the head?

Certainly a husband is not a god just because he is a head over a wife. So what would make someone that claimed to be the head of a group a deity as opposed to a normal man?
    Like I have said recently…
    If He forgives sins like a God,
    If He hears us yet is invisible to us like a God,
    If He gives us His commandments to follow like a God,
    If He insists that we are to believe in Him like a God,
    If He creates all things in heaven and on earth like a God,
    Then why do you have so much trouble realizing that the title “Lord” when applied to Him isn't the title of deity??

Hi Kathi:

Jesus is the head of the church, and he said: “All power over heaven and earth has been given unto me”, and he has said: “no man comes to the Father but by me”.

But he is not God Kathi, he is the “last Adam”, a man who is the mediator between God and mankind by virture of his perfect obedience to God.

1Cr 11:3   But I would have you know, that the head of every man is Christ; and the head of the woman [is] the man; and the head of Christ [is] God. ]

Eph 4:4   [There is] one body, and one Spirit, even as ye are called in one hope of your calling;  

Eph 4:5   One Lord, one faith, one baptism,  

Eph 4:6   One God and Father of all, who [is] above all, and through all, and in you all

1Ti 2:5   For [there is] one God, and one mediator between God and men, the man Christ Jesus;

Love in Christ,
    Marty

Hi Marty,
    you said:

But he is not God Kathi, he is the “last Adam”, a man who is the mediator between God and mankind by virture of his perfect obedience to God.

Jesus became a man but that was not His original essential identity. You know that many verses refer to Jesus as God including one where the Father Himself calls Him God. So for you to say that Jesus is not God is in denial of several scriptures.

Read what Paul says about who 'sent' Him…see that it was not a man or men but Jesus and His Father.

Gal 1:1 New International Version (©1984)
    Paul, an apostle–sent not from men nor by man, but by Jesus Christ and God the Father, who raised him from the dead–

I hope you can see this,
    Kathi

Participant

Hi Kathi:

You say:

Jesus became a man but that was not His original essential identity

Please give me the scripture or scriptures which specifically state this.

That Jesus Christ as our Lord and as head of the church has sent the Apostle Paul and us into the world to preach the gospel to every creature is true, and he says that here:

Jhn 17:14   I have given them thy word; and the world hath hated them, because they are not of the world, even as I am not of the world.  

Jhn 17:15   I pray not that thou shouldest take them out of the world, but that thou shouldest keep them from the evil.  

Jhn 17:16   They are not of the world, even as I am not of the world.  

Jhn 17:17   Sanctify them through thy truth: thy word is truth.  

Jhn 17:18   As thou hast sent me into the world, even so have I also sent them into the world.  

Jhn 17:19   And for their sakes I sanctify myself, that they also might be sanctified through the truth.

But the following scriptures state that he is a man, and so when the Apostle Paul states that he was not sent by man or by men, there must be an explanation other than contradicting the following scripture:

1Ti 2:5   For [there is] one God, and one mediator between God and men, the man Christ Jesus;  

1Ti 2:6   Who gave himself a ransom for all, to be testified in due time.  

1Ti 2:7   Whereunto I am ordained a preacher, and an apostle, (I speak the truth in Christ, [and] lie not;) a teacher of the Gentiles in faith and verity.

And in verse 2:7 the Apostle Paul speaks of being ordained a preacher and an Apostle by this same man, Christ Jesus, and so, there must be an explanation for what he meant by the scripture that you quote which sates that he was not sent by man or men.

In Hebrews 1 God says:

Hbr 1:8   But unto the Son [he saith], Thy throne, O God, [is] for ever and ever: a sceptre of righteousness [is] the sceptre of thy kingdom.  

Hbr 1:9   Thou hast loved righteousness, and hated iniquity; therefore God, [even] thy God, hath anointed thee with the oil of gladness above thy fellows.  

According the scriptures Jesus is the express image of God's person, and in John 14 he says that “he who has seen me has seen the Father”, and so in that sense he is “God”, but no, he never claimed to be God and I have already showed you what he said when he was ascending to his throne at the right hand of the Father, and that is that he was going to his Father and our Father and to his God and our God.

And Jesus stated the following in an explantion to those who were of accusing him of blasphemy:

Jhn 10:34   Jesus answered them, Is it not written in your law, I said, Ye are gods?  

Jhn 10:35   If he called them gods, unto whom the word of God came, and the scripture cannot be broken;  

Jhn 10:36   Say ye of him, whom the Father hath sanctified, and sent into the world, Thou blasphemest; because I said, I am the Son of God?  

There is only “One God” Kathi, and this is not taking anything away from Jesus our Lord.  It is because of him that we have the priviledge and honor of becoming sons of the Most High God.  He is worthy to be praised.

Love in Christ,
    Marty

Lightenup
    Participant

Hi Marty,
    I said:

Jesus became a man but that was not His original essential identity

You said:

Please give me the scripture or scriptures which specifically state this.

John 1:1In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. 2He was with God in the beginning.

3Through him all things were made; without him nothing was made that has been made. 4In him was life, and that life was the light of men. 5The light shines in the darkness, but the darkness has not understooda it.

6There came a man who was sent from God; his name was John. 7He came as a witness to testify concerning that light, so that through him all men might believe. 8He himself was not the light; he came only as a witness to the light. 9The true light that gives light to every man was coming into the world.b

10He was in the world, and though the world was made through him, the world did not recognize him. 11He came to that which was his own, but his own did not receive him. 12Yet to all who received him, to those who believed in his name, he gave the right to become children of God— 13children born not of natural descent,c nor of human decision or a husband’s will, but born of God.

14The Word became flesh and made his dwelling among us. We have seen his glory, the glory of the One and Only,d who came from the Father, full of grace and truth.

15John testifies concerning him. He cries out, saying, “This was he of whom I said, ‘He who comes after me has surpassed me because he was before me.’” 16From the fullness of his grace we have all received one blessing after another. 17For the law was given through Moses; grace and truth came through Jesus Christ. 18No one has ever seen God, but God the One and Only,e,f who is at the Father’s side, has made him known.

And in verse 2:7 the Apostle Paul speaks of being ordained a preacher and an Apostle by this same man, Christ Jesus, and so, there must be an explanation for what he meant by the scripture that you quote which sates that he was not sent by man or men.

The explanation is that Jesus is not merely a man but the one which everything was created through…He is deity.

There is only “One God” Kathi, and this is not taking anything away from Jesus our Lord.

1:8 but of 22 the Son he says,

“Your throne, O God, is forever and ever,

and a righteous scepter 25 is the scepter of your kingdom.

God the Father calls Him God with a capital 'G.'

In this passage, God the Father is talking about Jesus being the Son and calling Him 'God.' No where in this passage does it explain what you have explained…that He was God as one who imaged God. He is the image of God, not merely the one who imaged God.

…he never claimed to be God and I have already showed you what he said when he was ascending to his throne at the right hand of the Father, and that is that he was going to his Father and our Father and to his God and our God.

Marty, He was made lower than the angels, so naturally the Father was His God but His Father would naturally by His God even if He weren't lower than the angels and remained in His previous state 'as God' with God. He is the Son after all of God the Father. They are one.

You call Him your Lord but you don't see Him as deity. If He is not deity, then you bow down to a man and give him religious lordship of your life. That is idolatry.

You also pray in the name of a man since you think that Jesus is only a man. That too is idolatry.
    Exodus 23:13
    “Now concerning everything which I have said to you, be on your guard; and do not mention the name of other gods, nor let them be heard from your mouth.

Participant

Hi Kathi:

The Greek word translated “Word” in John 1 is “Logos” and is defined as that which God has spoken, and embodies a plan.

The Word pertains to Jesus but “he is not the Word” in John 1.

And no, he is not diety.  The scripture states that “he is a man, the last Adam”.

And although it is true that no man can come to the Father but by him, and he is worthy of all praise, glory and honor, if you are worshipping him as God, it is you who that is committing idolatry. Worshipping anyone or anything other than God is idolatry.

Jesus that we should honour him as we honour the Father, but he did not say that we should worship him as God.

Jhn 5:17   But Jesus answered them, My Father worketh hitherto, and I work.  

Jhn 5:18   Therefore the Jews sought the more to kill him, because he not only had broken the sabbath, but said also that God was his Father, making himself equal with God.  

Jhn 5:19   Then answered Jesus and said unto them, Verily, verily, I say unto you, The Son can do nothing of himself, but what he seeth the Father do: for what things soever he doeth, these also doeth the Son likewise.  

Jhn 5:20   For the Father loveth the Son, and sheweth him all things that himself doeth: and he will shew him greater works than these, that ye may marvel.  

Jhn 5:21   For as the Father raiseth up the dead, and quickeneth [them]; even so the Son quickeneth whom he will.  

Jhn 5:22   For the Father judgeth no man, but hath committed all judgment unto the Son:  

Jhn 5:23   That all [men] should honour the Son, even as they honour the Father. He that honoureth not the Son honoureth not the Father which hath sent him

Our worship belongs to God and God alone:  Jesius said the following:

Jhn 4:22   Ye worship ye know not what: we know what we worship: for salvation is of the Jews.  

Jhn 4:23   But the hour cometh, and now is, when the true worshippers shall worship the Father in spirit and in truth: for the Father seeketh such to worship him.  

Jhn 4:24   God [is] a Spirit: and they that worship him must worship [him] in spirit and in truth.  

Mat 4:10   Then saith Jesus unto him, Get thee hence, Satan: for it is written, [/b]Thou shalt worship the Lord thy God, and him only shalt thou serve.[/b]  

Yes, Kathi, I do pray to God in “his name”.  I am submitted to God through him, but he said, when you pray, pray after this manner:  “Our Father which art in heaven”…, and so, can't you see by this, that he is not God.

God does call his Son “God”, but there were not capital letters in the original manuscripts, and so this is done at the translators discretion.

Jesus said the following:

Jhn 10:32   Jesus answered them, Many good works have I shewed you from my Father; for which of those works do ye stone me?  

Jhn 10:33   The Jews answered him, saying, For a good work we stone thee not; but for blasphemy; and because that thou, being a man, makest thyself God.  

Jhn 10:34   Jesus answered them, Is it not written in your law, I said, Ye are gods?  

Jhn 10:35   If he called them gods, unto whom the word of God came, and the scripture cannot be broken;  

Jhn 10:36   Say ye of him, whom the Father hath sanctified, and sent into the world, Thou blasphemest; because I said, I am the Son of God?  

Jhn 10:37   If I do not the works of my Father, believe me not.  

And no, he is not the creator.

Gen 1:1 ¶ In the beginning God created the heaven and the earth

1Ti 2:5   For [there is] one God, and one mediator between God and men, the man Christ Jesus

1Cr 11:3   But I would have you know, that the head of every man is Christ; and the head of the woman [is] the man; and the head of Christ [is] God.

Eph 4:4   [There is] one body, and one Spirit, even as ye are called in one hope of your calling;  

Eph 4:5   One Lord, one faith, one baptism,  

Eph 4:6   One God and Father of all, who [is] above all, and through all, and in you all.  

I don't see how it can be made any plainer “there is Only One God”.

Love in Christ,
    Marty

Lightenup
    Participant

Marty,
    The Jews were very familiar with the term 'The Word of the Lord.' They replaced the name 'YHVH' for 'The Word of the Lord' in the Targums when the scriptures spoke of God' appearing to them or speaking to them. This article shows many examples and I have just pasted a few:

http://oneinmessiah.net/TargumMemraTheWordOfGod.htm
    THE MEMRA, THE WORD OF THE LORD

Psalm 33 [6] By the Word of the LORD were the heavens made; and all the host of them by the breath of his mouth.

The Aramaic word 'Memra', which means the �Word� or �The Word of the Lord�, is used when physical manifestations of God appear or when God is mentioned more than once in the same verse.

——————

The Jerusalem Targum of Johathan ben Uziel renders Bereshit 1:27 as follows: “

Gen. 1 [27] So God created man in his own image, in the image of God created he him; male and female created he them.

And the Word [Memra] of the Lord created man in His likeness, in the likeness of the Lord, the Lord created, male and female created He them.”

——————-

The Memra acts as a mediator between the Father and Creation:

And I will establish my covenant between My Word [Memra} and between you

Targum Onkelos Gen. 17:7

Gen. 17 [7] And I will establish my covenant between me and thee and thy seed after thee in their generations for an everlasting covenant, to be a God unto thee, and to thy seed after thee.

——————–

Gen. 9 [17] And God said unto Noah, This is the token of the covenant, which I have established between me and all flesh that is upon the earth.

And YHVH said to Noah, “This is the token of the covenant which I have established between My Word [Memra] and between all flesh that is upon the earth.

Targum Onkelos Gen. 9:17
    ———————

The Memra is God and is worshiped as such:

Gen. 28: [20] And Jacob vowed a vow, saying, If God will be with me, and will keep me in this way that I go, and will give me bread to eat, and raiment to put on, [21] So that I come again to my father's house in peace; then shall the LORD be my God:

And Jacob vowed a vow, saying, “If the Word [Memra] of YHVH will be my support, and will keep me in the way that I go, and will give me bread to eat, and raiment to put on, so that I come again to my father's house in peace; then shall the Word [Memra] of Lord be my God.

Targum Onkelos on Gen. 28:20-21

What are your thoughts about this Marty?
    Also Marty, who is the Lord of all?

Thanks,
    Kathi

Participant

Quote (Lightenup @ Mar. 12 2012,11:26)
    Marty,
    The Jews were very familiar with the term 'The Word of the Lord.' They replaced the name 'YHVH' for 'The Word of the Lord' in the Targums when the scriptures spoke of God' appearing to them or speaking to them. This article shows many examples and I have just pasted a few:

http://oneinmessiah.net/TargumMemraTheWordOfGod.htm
    THE MEMRA, THE WORD OF THE LORD

Psalm 33 [6] By the Word of the LORD were the heavens made; and all the host of them by the breath of his mouth.

The Aramaic word 'Memra', which means the �Word� or �The Word of the Lord�, is used when physical manifestations of God appear or when God is mentioned more than once in the same verse.

——————

The Jerusalem Targum of Johathan ben Uziel renders Bereshit 1:27 as follows: “

Gen. 1 [27] So God created man in his own image, in the image of God created he him; male and female created he them.

And the Word [Memra] of the Lord created man in His likeness, in the likeness of the Lord, the Lord created, male and female created He them.”

——————-

The Memra acts as a mediator between the Father and Creation:

And I will establish my covenant between My Word [Memra} and between you

Targum Onkelos Gen. 17:7

Gen. 17 [7] And I will establish my covenant between me and thee and thy seed after thee in their generations for an everlasting covenant, to be a God unto thee, and to thy seed after thee.

——————–

Gen. 9 [17] And God said unto Noah, This is the token of the covenant, which I have established between me and all flesh that is upon the earth.

And YHVH said to Noah, “This is the token of the covenant which I have established between My Word [Memra] and between all flesh that is upon the earth.

Targum Onkelos Gen. 9:17
    ———————

The Memra is God and is worshiped as such:

Gen. 28: [20] And Jacob vowed a vow, saying, If God will be with me, and will keep me in this way that I go, and will give me bread to eat, and raiment to put on, [21] So that I come again to my father's house in peace; then shall the LORD be my God:

And Jacob vowed a vow, saying, “If the Word [Memra] of YHVH will be my support, and will keep me in the way that I go, and will give me bread to eat, and raiment to put on, so that I come again to my father's house in peace; then shall the Word [Memra] of Lord be my God.

Targum Onkelos on Gen. 28:20-21

What are your thoughts about this Marty?

Thanks,
    Kathi

Hi Kathi:

The Word of the Lord is that which God has spoken, and these scriptures are my thoughts relative to this:

Hbr 1:1 ¶ God, who at sundry times and in divers manners spake in time past unto the fathers by the prophets,  

Hbr 1:2   Hath in these last days spoken unto us by [his]Son, whom he hath appointed heir of all things, by whom also he made the worlds;

According to this scripture the mediator between God and men is the man, Christ Jesus.  Don't you believe the scripture?

And you ask:

Jesus is God's heir and we, as God's children, are joint heirs with him.

Kathi I believe the scriptures and I do not look outside of them for my understanding:

This is the scripture from John 1:

1Jo 2:26   These [things] have I written unto you concerning them that seduce you.  

1Jo 2:27   But the anointing which ye have received of him abideth in you, and ye need not that any man teach you: but as the same anointing teacheth you of all things, and is truth, and is no lie, and even as it hath taught you, ye shall abide in him.

Love in Christ,
    Marty

Lightenup
    Participant

Marty,
    The Targums tell us that the Jews that John wrote to were very familiar with the term 'the Word of the Lord.' That is my point. The Targums show that the Jews did not think that the 'Word of the Lord' was a plan.

Marty do you believe that Jesus is the Lord of all? Is that what you are saying in response to my question. Please answer plainly.

Thanks,
    Kathi

Participant

Quote (Lightenup @ Mar. 14 2012,15:14)
    Marty,
    The Targums tell us that the Jews that John wrote to were very familiar with the term 'the Word of the Lord.' That is my point. The Targums show that the Jews did not think that the 'Word of the Lord' was a plan.

Marty do you believe that Jesus is the Lord of all? Is that what you are saying in response to my question. Please answer plainly.

Thanks,
    Kathi

Hi Kathi:

But what I see you trying to do by virtue of the Targums is to substitute “the Word of the Lord” for God in the scriptures, but once again, “the Word of the Lord” is that which God has spoken.  God is a living person, and He has spoken to humanity in various ways from the begining of creation.

The scriptures state that God made man in His own image, and that the first Adam was made a living soul, and then there was the Last Adam.  Does this not sound like a plan?

There is progressive revelation of this plan in the scriptures leading up to the coming of the Messiah who is the Last Adam, and then after the completion of his ministry and sacrifice,  his plan to go and prepare a place for us and to come back at such time that God has seen for him to come. All sounds like a well thought out plan to me.

I do not know what you want from me about Jesus being Lord of All.  I said that he is God's heir.  Maybe the following scritures will satisfy your question.

Col 1:16   For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible, whether [they be] thrones, or dominions, or principalities, or powers: all things were created by him, and for him:

Hbr 1:2   Hath in these last days spoken unto us by [his] Son, whom he hath appointed heir of all things, by whom also he made the worlds;

Love in Christ,
    Marty

Lightenup
    Participant

Marty,
    I didn't write the Targums so why would you say that it is I that is substituting the 'Word of the Lord' for God? I am merely pointing out that the Jews were very familiar with the term 'Word of the Lord' and it was not used for a plan. So when John wrote that “In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God” he was using a familiar term that the Jews understood as the manifestation of God.

As far as your answer regarding Jesus being Lord of all, just tell me a simple yes or no, thanks.
    Is Jesus the Lord of all? Yes or No

Blessings,
    Kathi

NickHassan
    Participant

Hi LU,
    Jesus could only have been a preexistent being if he was not conceived but placed in Mary and somehow his nature was not revealed till after the Jordan when the Holy Spirit anointed him.

Catholic doctrine starts to have a certain similarity.

You see how easy it is to take the wider path but you have to ignore a lot of truth on the way

Lightenup
    Participant

Nick,
    His flesh was conceived. Spirit is not conceived. The sperm and egg make up the flesh. Do you have a 'spirit' genotype?

Participant

Quote (Lightenup @ Mar. 19 2012,15:07)
    Marty,
    I didn't write the Targums so why would you say that it is I that is substituting the 'Word of the Lord' for God? I am merely pointing out that the Jews were very familiar with the term 'Word of the Lord' and it was not used for a plan. So when John wrote that “In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God” he was using a familiar term that the Jews understood as the manifestation of God.

As far as your answer regarding Jesus being Lord of all, just tell me a simple yes or no, thanks.
    Is Jesus the Lord of all? Yes  or  No

Blessings,
    Kathi

Hi Kathi:

I know that you did not write the Targums, but neither are they scripture,and so they are not inspired by God, and so, why try to use them to justify your doctrine.

What is the definition of the Greek word “Logos”, Kathi. That is what is used in John 1.

Is Jesus Lord of all? Yes and no.

1Cr 15:27 For he hath put all things under his feet. But when he saith all things are put under [him, it is] manifest that he is excepted, which did put all things under him.

Love in Christ,
    Marty

Lightenup
    Participant

Marty,
    Do the Targums reflect the understanding of the Jews? Isn't it a paraphrase of how they understood the OT? Isn't 'memra' the Hebrew word for logos? Is the word of the Lord in the OT different than the word of the Lord in the NT necessarily?

How is He Lord of all but not Lord of all?

Blessings,
    Kathi

Participant

Quote (Lightenup @ Mar. 26 2012,16:21)
    Marty,
    Do the Targums reflect the understanding of the Jews? Isn't it a paraphrase of how they understood the OT? Isn't 'memra' the Hebrew word for logos? Is the word of the Lord in the OT different than the word of the Lord in the NT necessarily?

Blessings,
    Kathi

Hi Kathi:

Targums may reflect the understanding of some of the Jews. I do not see the word “memra” in the Hebrew scriptures for the Word of God. I see “dabar”.

Anyway, John 1 does not say “the Word of the Lord”. It reads “In the beginning was “the Word”, “the Logos”.

Jesus is Lord over all except God. There is “only One God”.

1Cr 15:27 For he hath put all things under his feet. But when he saith all things are put under [him, it is] manifest that he is excepted, which did put all things under him.

Love in Christ,
    Marty

mikeboll64
    Blocked

Quote (942767 @ Mar. 30 2012,23:37)
    Anyway, John 1 does not say “the Word of the Lord”.  

Marty, whose Word is John 1:1 speaking about if not the Word of God?  

Quote (942767 @ Mar. 30 2012,23:37)
    Jesus is Lord over all except God.

Good point, Marty.  And by contrast, God is Lord over all including Jesus.

mikeboll64
    Blocked

Quote (Lightenup @ Mar. 25 2012,23:21)

Kathi,

How has “everything” been put under Jesus' feet when “everything” truly hasn't been put under his feet?

1 Cor 15:27 spells it out that everything WITH THE EXCEPTION OF GOD HIMSELF is under the feet of Jesus.

Likewise, Jesus is Lord over all WITH THE EXCEPTION OF GOD HIMSELF, who is truly Lord over all – including over Jesus.

NickHassan
    Participant

Quote (Lightenup @ Mar. 19 2012,16:49)
    Nick,
    His flesh was conceived. Spirit is not conceived. The sperm and egg make up the flesh. Do you have a 'spirit' genotype?

Hi Lu,
    Scripture sys he was a man. Jesus of Nazareth, anointed by the Holy Spirit, but you differ?

Pastry
    Participant

Quote (Lightenup @ Dec. 27 2011,15:14)

Quote (942767 @ Dec. 24 2011,18:51)
    The following scripture states that there is but “One God”.

1Ti 2:5 For [there is] one God, and one mediator between God and men, the man Christ Jesus;

They are “one” in the spirit.

John 17:21That they all may be one; as thou, Father, [art] in me, and I in thee, that they also may be one in us: that the world may believe that thou hast sent me.

Love in Christ,
    Marty

Marty,
    A unity is considered singular also.  The Bible speaks of two sticks that are one stick.  The Church is many churches yet ONE church.  The Bible is many books, yet ONE book.

I think that Jehovah is the name of the unity of God the Father and God the Son who are each called Jehovah/YHVH in the Bible.  So, the unity is named Jehovah as well as each member.

Two sticks = ONE stick
    Two Jehovahs = ONE Jehovah

The unities in the Bible are spoken of in singular terms…pronouns and verbs yet we know that the church has many churches and members within it.

They are one in more ways than in spirit.
    Kathi

Kathie! Here you go again, Jehovah is not two, there is only one God that is called Jehovah…

Psa 83:18 That [men] may know that thou, whose name alone [is] JEHOVAH, [art] the most high over all the earth.

Psa 68:4 Sing unto God, sing praises to his name: extol him that rideth upon the heavens by his name JAH, and rejoice before him.

Does this sound like there are two Jehovah's???

Psa 97:9 For thou, LORD, [art] high above all the earth: thou art exalted far above all gods.

Even so it says LORD here, it means Almighty God, He is above all othe Gods, there is no unity that is called Jehovah God….They are united in their believes…..

Peace and Love Irene

Lightenup
    Participant

Quote (Nick Hassan @ Mar. 31 2012,15:06)

Quote (Lightenup @ Mar. 19 2012,16:49)
    Nick,

Hi Lu,
    Scripture sys he was a man. Jesus of Nazareth, anointed by the Holy Spirit, but you differ?

Nick,
    Show me where I have ever said that He was not a man regarding the flesh? I just happen to believe He was both God and man at the same time when He became flesh.

Viewing 20 posts - 441 through 460 (of 497 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 1999 - 2024 Heaven Net

Navigation

© 1999 - 2023 - Heaven Net
or

or    

Forgot your details?

or

Create Account