Deism

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 33 total)
  • Author
    NickHassan
    Participant

Hi,
    This has come up and deserves it's own thread.

A manmade philosophy relating to knowledge and not relationship.
    It seems to simply require the acknowledgement of God to join up.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deism  

This site seems to have a masonic aspect with the pyramid.
    http://www.deism.com/deism_defined.htm  

http://www.allaboutphilosophy.org/deism.htm

Quote (Nick Hassan @ April 12 2008,13:08)
    Hi,
    This has come up and deserves it's own thread.

A manmade philosophy relating to knowledege and not relationship
    It seems to simply require the acknowledgement of God to join up.

This site seems to have a masonic aspect with the pyramid.
    http://www.deism.com/deism_defined.htm  

http://www.allaboutphilosophy.org/deism.htm

Hi NH

Had you noticed that many who turned to “Unitarianism” and “Deism” could not rap their natural brains around the inerrancy of the scriptures and the concept of a “Triune God” found therein? ???

Years ago there was a popular statement in the USA that accurately describes the belief of the Deist.

“GOD IS DEAD”!!!

:)

NickHassan
    Participant

Hi WJ,
    They actually realise God is one
    where you still struggle with that concept?

Not3in1
    Participant

Hi WJ,

I was just thinking about you today! How have you been, bro? Sure good to see you here. Hope you have more to contribute.

Nick, I'm going to check out the websites you listed now. I've been reading a bit on deism and it doesn't sound near as hopeless as you are presenting it. But maybe I'm missing something? Thanks.

Not3in1
    Participant

OK, yes I tend to lean towards this deism belief and/or philosophy. I'm not totally sold out on all it's beliefs, but quite a few of them certainly sound reasonable to me. Of course, I would consider myself a Unitarian before I would consider myself a Trinitarian (sorry, WJ). And I most definitely do not consider that God is dead! :(

Cato
    Participant

WJ is making a totally unsupported statement when he ascribes the popular culture phrase of “God is Dead” with Deism.  

A deist is “One who believes in the existence of a God or supreme being but denies revealed religion, basing his belief on the light of nature and reason.”

It would defy reason that an omniscient and omnipotent being could die, it is a red herring designed to divert discussion.

Quote (Cato @ April 13 2008,07:28)
    WJ is making a totally unsupported statement when he ascribes the popular culture phrase of “God is Dead” with Deism.  

A deist is “One who believes in the existence of a God or supreme being but denies revealed religion, basing his belief on the light of nature and reason.”

It would defy reason that an omniscient and omnipotent being could die, it is a red herring designed to divert discussion.

Cato

No red herring here. Just simple logic.

If a god dosnt move, speak, or involve himself with the affairs of man, then that god is dead.

Deists typically reject supernatural events (prophecy, miracles) and tend to assert that God does not intervene with the affairs of human life and the natural laws of the universe.

Why is it a red herring? This is what a Deist believes isnt it?

The God I serve is alive and speaks and comforts and heals and delivers and blesses and encourages and gives peace and joy and strength and involves himself with my daily life.

No red herring here. God is alive and not dead.

And to know the love of Christ, which passeth knowledge, that ye might be filled with all the fulness of God.
    Now unto him that is able to do exceeding abundantly above all that we ask or think, according to the power that worketh in us, Unto him [be] glory in the church by Christ Jesus throughout all ages, world without end. Amen.

Ephesians 3:19-21

Quote (Not3in1 @ April 12 2008,17:39)
    Hi WJ,

I was just thinking about you today!  How have you been, bro?  Sure good to see you here.  Hope you have more to contribute.

Nick, I'm going to check out the websites you listed now.  I've been reading a bit on deism and it doesn't sound near as hopeless as you are presenting it.  But maybe I'm missing something?  Thanks.

Hi Mandy!

I hope they were good thoughts! :)

Good to see you posting in the belevers section again.

Hope you and yours are doing well.

Havnt been able to post much lately.

Busy!

Blessings to you.

Keith

Cato
    Participant

Quote (WorshippingJesus @ April 13 2008,19:11)
    If a god dosnt move, speak, or involve himself with the affairs of man, then that god is dead.

Deists typically reject supernatural events (prophecy, miracles) and tend to assert that God does not intervene with the affairs of human life and the natural laws of the universe.

Why is it a red herring? This is what a Deist believes isnt it?

The God I serve is alive and speaks and comforts and heals and delivers and blesses and encourages and gives peace and joy and strength and involves himself with my daily life.

No red herring here. God is alive and not dead.

And to know the love of Christ, which passeth knowledge, that ye might be filled with all the fulness of God.
    Now unto him that is able to do exceeding abundantly above all that we ask or think, according to the power that worketh in us, Unto him [be] glory in the church by Christ Jesus throughout all ages, world without end. Amen.

Ephesians 3:19-21

The beauty of deism is that it doesn't have a set dogma, it encourages us to use our own minds and reason.  While many come to the conclusion that God does not involve himself directly in the affairs of man, others come to the conclusion he may, but would work within the laws of his own creation.  If Omniscience and Omnipotence created a system would not that system be working according to plan for the purpose it was designed?  Or do you ascribe the Biblical properties of regret, anger, wrath and jealousy to your god who would then have to constantly involve himself to straighten out problems?

The God I worship is alive too, he speaks of himself though his creation and I find comfort in what I see and feel around me.  What I don't believe is that he had special people, and those people wrote his will in a particular book.  I am skeptical of revelations because they are always second hand and easy to fake.  I don't discount them wholesale for I have had them myself and witnessed what I thought were miracles, yet if I were to relate those to others they are changed the minute I tell them by my preconceptions and prejudices.

Yes it is easy to falsely acribe to deism a belief God is dead (which is illogical, a being without beginning is therfore without end), for then you can say how you have, by contrast, a living god of love (all while overlooking all the ridculous and petty human aspects of which the Bible frequently relates about him).

NickHassan
    Participant

Hi cato,
    It would certainly make life easy by ignoring the bible's revelation about God.
    But should we look for an easy path?
    Better to seek grace.

Cato
    Participant

How does it make it easy? I have the same obligations any man does, to honor our Creator and to realize we are all creations of the same being and so linked. We should strive to love one another as God loves us. I simply don't agree with the plan as written in scripture because it makes no sense. That we should love one another as God loves us, that makes sense. Yet despite knowing this, it is not easy to overcome my basic selfishness and ego.

NickHassan
    Participant

Hi cato,
    So your SENSE has become for you the ultimate arbiter of truth?
    Do any others share your SENSE or is that irrelevant?

Cato
    Participant

Quote (Nick Hassan @ April 14 2008,08:48)
    Hi cato,

I guess it depends on how you define sense, for it has quite a number of different meanings.  If I take the definition as “a mental discernment, realization, or recognition”.
    In that case is that not what we all do?  Does not your sense tell you that scripture is God's inerrant word just as mine tells me it is not.  Greater truth or reality is outside of our beliefs, but the inner recognition of truth is always an internal mental process.

GeneBalthrop
    Participant

Quote (Cato @ April 15 2008,02:02)

Quote (Nick Hassan @ April 14 2008,08:48)
    Hi cato,

I guess it depends on how you define sense, for it has quite a number of different meanings.  If I take the definition as “a mental discernment, realization, or recognition”.
    In that case is that not what we all do?  Does not your sense tell you that scripture is God's inerrant word just as mine tells me it is not.  Greater truth or reality is outside of our beliefs, but the inner recognition of truth is always an internal mental process.

cato…….true but you must have the Spirit of truth in order to reconize spritual truths and that comes from God and all men do not have that at this time, But will in the future.

peace to you and yours…….gene

Cato
    Participant

Quote (Gene Balthrop @ April 23 2008,04:55)
    cato…….true but you must have the Spirit of truth in order to reconize spritual truths and that comes from God and all men do not have that at this time, But will in the future.

peace to you and yours…….gene

If we must have the spirit of truth to recognize such and that spirit comes from God and all men do not have this how can we blame or punish those lacking?  

What is the point of any spiritual discussion for only those having this spirit will see?

Who is to say who has this spirit?

It seems a point of view open to abuse, I have the spirit, you do not, so you must listen to me for only I, therefore can see the truth.

NickHassan
    Participant

4dk

dirtyknections
    Participant

Quote (Nick Hassan @ Dec. 19 2008,05:30)
    4dk

hmmnn..not just yet

NickHassan
    Participant

Hi DK,
    You say you are a deist.
    So if you believe in God why not obey His Son?
    Salvation is offered by the way of following Christ Jesus

Jn14
    1Let not your heart be troubled: ye believe in God, believe also in me.

NickHassan
    Participant

Hi,
    Deism or theism is offered by many as a saving religion.
    But it is simply an awareness of God.

Rom 1 shows us that such knowledge is useless unless acted upon.

GeneBalthrop
    Participant

To all………We are told to ask, seek, and knock, if we ask God for His SPIRIT (intellect) He will give it to us. Jesus said how much (MORE) will GOD give them of the SPIRIT(intellect) that ASK. Ask and you (WILL) recieve , seek and you (WILL) find, Knock and it (WILL) be opened unto you. It is Just that (SIMPLE). Brethern you have (NO) need of a teacher , for the SPIRIT (ITSELF) Will teach you all things. Why, because the SPIRIT is the INTELLECT from GOD being given to YOU. ASK. IMO

peace and love ……………..gene

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 33 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 1999 - 2024 Heaven Net

Navigation

© 1999 - 2023 - Heaven Net
or

or    

Forgot your details?

or

Create Account