Commandments in the NT

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 20 posts - 41 through 60 (of 89 total)
  • Author
    kejonn
    Participant

Thanks Gene and MrsIM.

Are the Ten Commandments the only ones mentioned?

Num 10:12 and the sons of Israel set out on their journeys from the wilderness of Sinai. Then the cloud settled down in the wilderness of Paran.
    Num 10:13 So they moved out for the first time according to the commandment of the LORD through Moses.

Deu 15 and on speaks of forgiving debts at the end of every seven years, not borrowing, lending to the poor, setting servants free after seven years of service with various supplies, letting them say if they want to (but they will be a servant forever), consecrating the firstborn of each flock, honoring the month of Abib, celebrating Passover (and how to do so), celebrating the Feast of Weeks, celebrating Feast of Booths, celebrating Feast of Unleavened Bread, etc. There are many more commandments in the chapters from Deu 15 on.

Deu 15:5 if only you listen obediently to the voice of the LORD your God, to observe carefully all this commandment which I am commanding you today.

The word “commandment” is found in 45 verses in the OT, the word “commandments” is found in 121 verses (NASB). Is this always the Ten Commandments?

kejonn
    Participant

Thanks Ken,

I am just glad I am not under the Law, but rather under the blood of Christ. Since I was not raised to observe the Law, I wouldn't know where to begin.

kenrch
    Participant

Quote (IM4Truth @ Sep. 24 2007,11:56)
    ARE WE BOUND BY THE LAW GOD GAVE TO MOSES OR NOT?

OLD TESTAMENT
    Ex. 34:27-28
    Then the LORD said to Moses, write these Words, for according to the tenor of these words I have made a COVENANT with you and Israel.
    Verse 28 so he was there with the LORD forty days and forty nights; he either ate or drank water.  And he wrote on tablets the words of the COVENANT THE 10 COMMANDMENT.
    Deut. 4:13
    So He declared to you His COVENANT which He commanded you to perform, that is the TEN COMMANDMENTS; and He wrote them on two tablets of stone.

God made quit a few ordinances with Israel that are still being kept by the now living Jewish People.  With us He made a NEW COVENANT.

Math. 26:28     FOR THIS IS MY BLOOD OF THE NEW COVENANT, which are shed for many for the remission of Sins.
    Luke 22:29   Likewise He also took the cup after super saying THIS IS THE NEW COVENANT IN MY BLOOD, WHICH IS SHED FOR YOU.

GALATIANS 4:23 but He who was of the bondwoman was born according to the flesh, and He of the free woman through promise.
    VERSE 24 which things are symbolic for these are the TWO COVENANT; the one from Mount Sinai, which gives birth to bondage, which is Hagar.
    VERSE 25 FOR THIS Hagar is Mount Sinai in Arabia and responds to Jerusalem, which is now and is in bondage with her children
    VERSE.26 but the Jerusalem above is free, which is the Mother of us all.
    VERSE 27 For it is written
                    REJOICE, O BARREN, YOU WHO DO NOT BEAR!  BREAK FORTH AND SHOUT, YOU WHO DO NOT TRAVAIL!  FOR THE DESOLATE HAS MANY MORE CHILDREN, THEN SHE HAS A HUSBAND.
    VERSE28 Now we, brethren, as Isaac was, are children of promise.
    VERSE 29 But, as he who was born according to the flesh then persecuted him who was born according to the spirit, even so it is now.
    VERSE 30 Nevertheless what does the scripture say? “ Cast out the bondwoman and her son, for the son of the bondwoman shall not be heir with the son of the free woman.”
    VERSE 31 So then, brethren we are not children of the bondwoman but of the free.

THE NEXT CHAPTER, I FIND VERY IMPORTEND, BECAUSE IT TELLS US THAT IF YOU WANT TO KEEP ANY PART OF THE LAW THAT GOD GAVE TO MOSES, YOU HAVE FALLEN FROM GRACE.  THE GALATIANS HAD TROUBLE WITH CIRCUMCITION.  
    VERSE 5  SHOWS US THEN THAT YOU CANNOT BE UNDER THE LAW AND UNDER GRACE AT THE SAME TIME.

ROMANS 3:28 Therefore We conclude that a man is justified by Faith apart from the deeds of the Law.
    ROMANS 4:13-16  For the promise that he would be the heir of the World was not to Abraham or to his seed through the Law, but through the righteousness of Faith.
    VERSE 15 BECAUSE THE Law brings about wrath; for where there is no Law there is no transgression.
    VERSE 16 Therefore it is of Faith that it might be according to GRACE that the promise might be sure to ALL the seed, not only those who are of the Law, but also to those who are of Faith of Abraham, who is the Father of us all.

ROMAN 6:14 For Sin shall not have dominion over you, for you are not under Law but under grace.  Likewise you also reckon yourself to be dead to sin, but alive to God in Christ Jesus our Lord.

ROMANS14: 5    One person esteems one Day above another, another esteems every Day alike.  Let each of you be fully convinced in His own mind.

EPHESIAN 2:5 even when we were dead in trespasses, made us alive together with Christ (by grace you have been saved.)
    VERSE 6 and raised us up together, in the heavenly places in Christ Jesus,
    VERSE 7 He might show the exceeding riches of His grace His kindness toward us in Christ Jesus.
    VERSE 8 For by grace you have been saved through Faith, and not of yourself; it is a gift of GOD, not of works, lest anyone should boast.
    VERSE 10 For we are His workmanship, created in Christ Jesus for good works, which God prepared beforehand that we should walk in them.

PHILIPPIANS 3:9 and He found in Him, not having my own righteousness, which is from the Law, but that which is through Faith in Christ, the righteousness which is from God by Faith.

ROMAN 8:38 For I am persuaded that neither Death nor Life, nor angels nor
    Principalities nor powers, nor things present nor things to come,
    Verse39 nor height nor depth nor any other created thing, shall be able to separate us from the love of God which is in Christ Jesus our Lord.

ROMAN 11:5-6  Even so then, at this present time there is a remnant according to the election of grace.
    Verse 6  And if be grace, then it is no longer of works; otherwise grace is no longer grace. But if it is of works. It is no longer be grace; otherwise work is no longer work.

GALATIANS 2:16 knowing that a man is not justified by the works of the Law but by faith in Jesus Christ, even we have believed in Christ Jesus, that we might be justified by faith in Christ and not by the works of the Law, for by the works of the Law no flesh shall be justified.
    Verse 21 I do not set aside the grace of God; for if the righteousness comes through the Law, then Christ died in vain.

GALATIANS 3:23-25 But before faith came, we were kept under guard by the law, kept for the faith which would afterward be revealed.
    Verse 24 Therefore the law was our tutor to bring us to Christ, that we might be justified
    by faith.
    Verse 25 but after faith has come, we are no longer under a tutor.

HEBREW 9:15 And for this reason He is the Mediator of the new covenant by means of death, for the redemption of the transgressions under the first covenant, that those who are called may receive the promise of the eternal inheritance.

HEBREW 10:24-25
    In conclusion let us consider one another in order to stir up love and good works.
    Not forsaking the assembling of ourselves together, as is the manner of some, but exhorting one another , and so more as you see the Day approaching.

Verse 37
    For yet a little while, and He who is coming will come and will not tarry.
    Now the just shall live by faith; But if anyone draws back, my soul has no pleasure in him.

In conclusion I like to add “  let us Love one another, for Love covers a multitude of sins.

Peace and Love Mrs.

Heb 8:8 For finding fault with them, he saith, Behold, the days come, saith the Lord, when I will make a new covenant with the house of Israel and with the house of Judah:

I have proven time and time again that you are pulling scripture out of context in order to break God's Commandment.

I'm finished with you people who want to reject God and HIS Commandments. The dust is off my feet until someone “NEW” comes along and want's to know.

Their are many called but few chosen.

The KINGDOM of heaven is at hand.

Come out of her MY PEOPLE lest you partake of her plagues.

IHN,

Ken

kejonn
    Participant

Did Abraham have the Ten Commandments? It is certain that the 10 were part of the Law, so what does this mean?

Rom 5:13 for until the Law sin was in the world, but sin is not imputed when there is no law.
    Rom 5:14 Nevertheless death reigned from Adam until Moses, even over those who had not sinned in the likeness of the offense of Adam, who is a type of Him who was to come.

These verses basically say there was no Law before Moses.

IM4Truth
    Participant

Ken Romans 14:13 You just judged yourself, my Brother.

I will pray for you
    Peace and Love Mrs.

kenrch
    Participant

Quote (kejonn @ Sep. 24 2007,15:44)
    Did Abraham have the Ten Commandments? It is certain that the 10 were part of the Law, so what does this mean?

Rom 5:13  for until the Law sin was in the world, but sin is not imputed when there is no law.
    Rom 5:14  Nevertheless death reigned from Adam until Moses, even over those who had not sinned in the likeness of the offense of Adam, who is a type of Him who was to come.

These verses basically say there was no Law before Moses.

Then what is Gen. 26:5 about?

kenrch
    Participant

Quote (kejonn @ Sep. 24 2007,15:30)
    Thanks Ken,

I am just glad I am not under the Law, but rather under the blood of Christ. Since I was not raised to observe the Law, I wouldn't know where to begin.

That's right we are not under the punishment of breaking the law But:

Rom 3:31 Do we then make void the law through faith? God forbid: yea, we establish the law.

We Establish the law! :)

kejonn
    Participant

Hey Ken,

Basically the same as before: Abraham did everything YHWH commanded him to do. What you see in Gen 26:5 is not “the Law” but ordinances given to Abraham to follow. According to blueletter.org,

1) law, direction, instruction
    a) instruction, direction (human or divine)
    1) body of prophetic teaching
    2) instruction in Messianic age
    3) body of priestly direction or instruction
    4) body of legal directives
    b) law
    1) law of the burnt offering
    2) of special law, codes of law
    c) custom, manner
    d) the Deuteronomic or Mosaic Law

IM4Truth
    Participant

Ken Gen 26:5 Abraham was commanded by God to circumcise, that was the Commandment. It says that the 10 Commandments were added later because of transgression. The Jewish People would work 7 days a week and would not even think of God. So He had to give them some guidelines to follow. Look at all He had to say to them, they must have been a dirty people, I said this before. On the other hand Abraham was a righteous Man.
    Peace and Love Mrs.

kejonn
    Participant

Mrs.,

Indeed! Check these out (from the ESV)

Rom 4:1 What then shall we say was gained by Abraham, our forefather according to the flesh?
    Rom 4:2 For if Abraham was justified by works, he has something to boast about, but not before God.
    Rom 4:3 For what does the Scripture say? “Abraham believed God, and it was counted to him as righteousness.”
    Rom 4:4 Now to the one who works, his wages are not counted as a gift but as his due.
    Rom 4:5 And to the one who does not work but believes in him who justifies the ungodly, his faith is counted as righteousness,
    Rom 4:6 just as David also speaks of the blessing of the one to whom God counts righteousness apart from works:
    Rom 4:7 “Blessed are those whose lawless deeds are forgiven, and whose sins are covered;
    Rom 4:8 blessed is the man against whom the Lord will not count his sin.”
    Rom 4:9 Is this blessing then only for the circumcised, or also for the uncircumcised? We say that faith was counted to Abraham as righteousness.
    Rom 4:10 How then was it counted to him? Was it before or after he had been circumcised? It was not after, but before he was circumcised.
    Rom 4:11 He received the sign of circumcision as a seal of the righteousness that he had by faith while he was still uncircumcised. The purpose was to make him the father of all who believe without being circumcised, so that righteousness would be counted to them as well,
    Rom 4:12 and to make him the father of the circumcised who are not merely circumcised but who also walk in the footsteps of the faith that our father Abraham had before he was circumcised.
    Rom 4:13 For the promise to Abraham and his offspring that he would be heir of the world did not come through the law but through the righteousness of faith.
    Rom 4:14 For if it is the adherents of the law who are to be the heirs, faith is null and the promise is void.
    Rom 4:15 For the law brings wrath, but where there is no law there is no transgression.
    Rom 4:16 That is why it depends on faith, in order that the promise may rest on grace and be guaranteed to all his offspring–not only to the adherent of the law but also to the one who shares the faith of Abraham, who is the father of us all,

IM4Truth
    Participant

keyonn Who are the blueletter orig. ? I never heard of that before. Are there scriptures to go along with that. In Genesis 17:10-11 God made a Covenant with Abraham. And Abraham did everything that God asked Him to do. But He never gave Him the 10 commandments.

Peace and Love Mrs.

IM4Truth
    Participant

keyonn You got it down packed. Glory and Honor belong to our Savior Jesus Christ. What great Love our Heavenly Father has for us that He send His only begotten Son, into the world to die for us. No Law can save us. Only the Blood of Jesus. If the Law could have been able to do that, there would not been a need to sent His Son. But we still have to be aware that we are sinners and we have to repent of our sins, and God is quick to forgive us. Our job is to overcome and be more Christlike. God is Love and that is what is what God wants us to do. There are some that believe that once saved always saved. But I do not believe that it is automatic. We still have to ask for forgiveness of our Sins.

I am so sad that there is so much friction because of Ken not understanding.

Peace and Love Mrs.

kenrch
    Participant

WE ARE NOT SAVED BY WORKS!

BUt sin is trangression of the Law. That means “if you break one of those Ten Commandments” then you have sinned.

I have NO animosity twords anyone on this forum. But I will keep my Father's commandments. If any of you choose to break His Commandments that's between you and the Almighty NOT KEN. All I did was point out scripture. You guys have”choosen” to disobey God not KEN! I'm sorry but that's what you are doing by not keeping the forth commandment you are keeping doctrines of the harlot.

1Jo 3:4 Whosoever committeth sin transgresseth also the law: for sin is the transgression of the law.

That's why it is Jesus' people who are in the Harlot, Rev. 18:4.

If you wish to remove this light because it's Too bright then do so. But I will NEVER break any of His commandments for the sake of fellowship with the world.

And I will continue to teach the Sabbath if left on heaven net.

Mat 5:19 Whosoever therefore shall break one of these least commandments, and shall teach men so, he shall be called the least in the kingdom of heaven: but whosoever shall do and teach them, the same shall be called great in the kingdom of heaven.

There is the scripture the choice is yours.

IHN,

Ken

kenrch
    Participant

Quote (IM4Truth @ Sep. 24 2007,16:43)
    keyonn You got it down packed. Glory and Honor belong to our Savior Jesus Christ. What great Love our Heavenly Father has for us that He send His only begotten Son, into the world to die for us. No Law can save us. Only the Blood of Jesus. If the Law could have been able to do that, there would not been a need to sent His Son. But we still have to be aware that we are sinners and we have to repent of our sins, and God is quick to forgive us. Our job is to overcome and be more Christlike. God is Love and that is what is what God wants us to do. There are some that believe that once saved always saved. But I do not believe that it is automatic. We still have to ask for forgiveness of our Sins.

I am so sad that there is so much friction because of Ken not understanding.

Peace and Love Mrs.

What is so sad is that some had the truth taught to them but according to the letter and so have denied they have to keep the forth commandment and NOW teach others they should NOT keep the forth commandment.

Mat 5:19  Whosoever therefore shall break one of these least commandments, and shall teach men so, he shall be called the least in the kingdom of heaven: but whosoever shall do and teach them, the same shall be called great in the kingdom of heaven.

I really do feel sorry for you Mrs I pray you and the others that came out of WWCG will heal soon.

Now t8 I did not write Mat. 5:19, OK? No more than you wrote John 1:1

IHN,

Ken

GeneBalthrop
    Participant

to all……> question can keeping any (LAW) make you right in your heart. NO it cant, WHY?, because a LAW has NO CREATIVE POWER. True righteousness is a CREATION Done by GOD in US. There are so many scriptures that show that . If Ken or Anyone thinks that they are going to be made right by observing the sabbath or any other Law then do it. It PLAINLY say's the gentiles did not have the LAW, but did the things contained in the law showing the law was written in their heart by the hand of GOD. Not by the hand of PAUL. It also says LOVE FULLFILLS the Law. Jesus gave us the true commandments and that was to love God and to love one another, so then we see that love fullfills all the law. Why go back to somthing that never made anyone right with God. As i stated before THE LAW HAS NO (CREATIVE) POWER>ONLY GOD DOES. “KNOW YOU NOT YOU ARE CREATED UNTO RIGHTEOUSNESS”. So who are you who judges another It's God who will uphold Him not you. If the Law could make some one right then there would have been not need for Jesus' sacrifice. And if we believe that God CREATES US unto righteousness, then let GOD The Father do what HE (ONLY) CAN DO. And anyone that offends any of the little ones it's better for him that a mill stone be hung around his neck and cast into the sea. So to use the Law as some form of condemnation to others can be very dangerous. peace to all that love God and each other………gene

kenrch
    Participant

Would you as a parent reward a disobedient child like an obedient child?

What does Jesus say?

Mat 5:19 Whosoever therefore shall break one of these least commandments, and shall teach men so, he shall be called the least in the kingdom of heaven: but whosoever shall do and teach them, the same shall be called great in the kingdom of heaven.

IM4Truth
    Participant

Gen Thank you, I was on here this morning thinking what I would say to Ken. But I had a Doctors Appointment and so I had to go. God is so good to us. I would not have been able to say it any better then you did.
    My Heart again is so heavy because of what again is happening, I will pray, because I feel that is all I can do at this time. Thank you again.

Peace and Love Mrs.:blues: :blues: :blues:

GeneBalthrop
    Participant

to all……> i have not seen anyone here telling anyone to break God's laws or God's commandments, I have heard people talking about how righteousness comes, never heard onyone say it's ok to break any of God's commandments, infact I have seen people here show the commandments on a higher level then in the law, taking then away from a physical level and raising them to a higher Spiritual level. If you have to hold onto the physical aspects of the Law then you are not seeing the spiritual side of them. You can kid yourself all you want, but the true law is spiritual and must be (FULLFILLED) in a (SPRITUAL) sence and has nothing to do with, if the sun goes down on friday to sundown saturday. While it can be good to rest on the sabbath day, it has nothing to do with my salvation, that was atained for me By GOD offering Jesus as a sacrifice for my sins and me accepting it, and God sending into my heart His Spirit which (CREATES) in me a right heart. And all thats is done apart from the works of any law. You who look to the Law for your righteousness have fallen from (GRACE), So lets see how by Keeping sun down to sun down will save you. You who look to the physical things of the law are blind to the spiritual things, Jesus said those who worship God must worship in Spirit and truth. The spiritual thing about the sabbath far exceeds the physical thing. And we who have believed have inter into that (REST). And that rest is (NOT) one DAy a week but every day of our lives. It's sad to me that some can't see that……..GOD help US ALL…….gene

kenrch
    Participant

I agree NO ONE IS SAVED BY THE LAW! But that was never the issue the issue was should you keep God's commandments.

Again would you as a parent reward a disobedient child as you would an obedient chid?

Jesus says NO! And His children should be aware of this.

Mat 7:21 Not every one that saith unto me, Lord, Lord, shall enter into the kingdom of heaven; but he that doeth the will of my Father which is in heaven.

I don't think I am any more than anyone else HOWEVER I will obey God and keep His Commandments and YOU should too.

Keeping the Sabbath doesn't make anyone righteous. WE ARE NOT RIGHTEOUS. Our righteousness is but filthy rags to God. That's where grace comes in. But does grace give us permission to sin?

Sin is transgression of the law period. 1John 3:4

Rom 3:31 Do we then make void the law through faith? God forbid: yea, we establish the law.

You can fool yourself and say you don't have to keep God's commandments. But if you do not do the will of the Father then Jesus says He does not no you.

Mat 7:23 And then will I declare to them, 'I never knew you; depart from me, you workers of lawlessness.'

Let's recap:

We are not righteous but are under the grace of Christ.

Sin is still sin which is trangression of the law.

Whoever breaks the “least” commandment and “teaches” others to do so will be the “least” in the kingdom of heaven.

Not one dot or a crossing of a “T” will change from the commandments until heaven and earth pass away.

I am just a saved child of God who strives to obey his Father and that's it. Should not all God's children obey their Father?

Which parent among you will punish their children for doing good? Will the breakers of God's commandments be treated as good children? I believe you really know the answer to that , don't you?

All of God's children are saved by Jesus BUT the angel cries out “come out of her MY [Jesus'] people”

Rev 18:4 Then I heard another voice from heaven saying, “Come out of her, my people, lest you take part in her sins, lest you share in her plagues;

Their will be NO excuses.

Act 17:30 The times of ignorance God overlooked, but now he commands all people everywhere to repent,

IHN,

Ken

kejonn
    Participant

Hey Ken,

What does Yeshua mean by “these commandments” in Mat 5:19? Look in the context of the chapter…

Viewing 20 posts - 41 through 60 (of 89 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 1999 - 2024 Heaven Net

Navigation

© 1999 - 2023 - Heaven Net
or

or    

Forgot your details?

or

Create Account