Call no man father

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 13 posts - 101 through 113 (of 113 total)
  • Author

Quote (terraricca @ Feb. 17 2010,08:42)
    CA

you just talk like a drug dealer i use to know ,he told me he is a pharmacist,he help people to go trough there problems,and because he make big profits the government don't like that and so try to catch him and make is trade illegal. unbelievable but true

This is where I say:

God Bless You

“Not rendering evil for evil, nor railing for railing, but contrariwise, blessing: for unto this are you called, that you may inherit a blessing.”

NickHassan
    Participant

Hi CA,
    Aligning with the teachings without seeking first the kingdom achieves little. [Mt6]
    Jesus is not a philosopher who points to a way but he is the way.
    You need to repent and be joined with him

mikeboll64
    Blocked

Ca quoted: “So What Did Jesus Mean?

Jesus criticized Jewish leaders who love “the place of honor at feasts and the best seats in the synagogues, and salutations in the market places, and being called ‘rabbi’ by men” (Matt. 23:6–7). His admonition here is a response to the Pharisees’ proud hearts and their g.asping after marks of status and prestige.

He was using hyperbole (exaggeration to make a point) to show the scribes and Pharisees how sinful and proud they were for not looking humbly to God as the source of all authority and fatherhood and teaching, and instead setting themselves up as the ultimate authorities, father figures, and teachers.”

Ca, this is the point I tried to make to you yesterday.  Jesus didn't set up a hierarchy for the church.  The exact reason he told the disciples not to call anyone father or teacher is because the body of Christ is made of of brothers and sisters. None of which are any “higher” than another.  

Look again at what Jesus said in your quote.  For you to think that somehow a “father” in your church is closer to God than you or me is not supported by the Word.

In fact, Jesus was trying to keep what happened with the Pharisees from happening with Christians.  But look at all your levels of clergy,  this one's higher than that one all the way to the pope.  

And all of those higher-ups love the special treatment, honor and praise the comes with those positions.

Exactly like the Pharisees.  And exactly like Jesus told us not to be.

Quote (mikeboll64 @ Feb. 17 2010,10:21)
    Ca, this is the point I tried to make to you yesterday.  Jesus didn't set up a hierarchy for the church.  The exact reason he told the disciples not to call anyone father or teacher is because the body of Christ is made of of brothers and sisters. None of which are any “higher” than another.  

Look again at what Jesus said in your quote.  For you to think that somehow a “father” in your church is closer to God than you or me is not supported by the Word.

In fact, Jesus was trying to keep what happened with the Pharisees from happening with Christians.  But look at all your levels of clergy,  this one's higher than that one all the way to the pope.  

And all of those higher-ups love the special treatment, honor and praise the comes with those positions.

Exactly like the Pharisees.  And exactly like Jesus told us not to be.

Read the whole thing instead of cherry picking what you want. Actually seek to understand. I think you missed this part:

“Paul regularly referred to Timothy as his child: “Therefore I sent to you Timothy, my beloved and faithful child in the Lord, to remind you of my ways in Christ” (1 Cor. 4:17); “To Timothy, my true child in the faith: grace, mercy, and peace from God the Father and Christ Jesus our Lord” (1 Tim. 1:2); “To Timothy, my beloved child: Grace, mercy, and peace from God the Father and Christ Jesus our Lord” (2 Tim. 1:2).

He also referred to Timothy as his son: “This charge I commit to you, Timothy, my son, in accordance with the prophetic utterances which pointed to you, that inspired by them you may wage the good warfare” (1 Tim 1:18); “You then, my son, be strong in the grace that is in Christ Jesus” (2 Tim. 2:1); “But Timothy’s worth you know, how as a son with a father he has served with me in the gospel” (Phil. 2:22).

Paul also referred to other of his converts in this way: “To Titus, my true child in a common faith: grace and peace from God the Father and Christ Jesus our Savior” (Titus 1:4); “I appeal to you for my child, Onesimus, whose father I have become in my imprisonment” (Philem. 10). None of these men were Paul’s literal, biological sons. Rather, Paul is emphasizing his spiritual fatherhood with them.

Spiritual Fatherhood

Perhaps the most pointed New Testament reference to the theology of the spiritual fatherhood of priests is Paul’s statement, “I do not write this to make you ashamed, but to admonish you as my beloved children. For though you have countless guides in Christ, you do not have many fathers. For I became your father in Christ Jesus through the gospel” (1 Cor. 4:14–15).

Peter followed the same custom, referring to Mark as his son: “She who is at Babylon, who is likewise chosen, sends you greetings; and so does my son Mark” (1 Pet. 5:13). The apostles sometimes referred to entire churches under their care as their children. Paul writes, “Here for the third time I am ready to come to you. And I will not be a burden, for I seek not what is yours but you; for children ought not to lay up for their parents, but parents for their children” (2 Cor. 12:14); and, “My little children, with whom I am again in travail until Christ be formed in you!” (Gal. 4:19).

John said, “My little children, I am writing this to you so that you may not sin; but if any one does sin, we have an advocate with the Father, Jesus Christ the righteous” (1 John 2:1); “No greater joy can I have than this, to hear that my children follow the truth” (3 John 4). In fact, John also addresses men in his congregations as “fathers” (1 John 2:13–14).

By referring to these people as their spiritual sons and spiritual children, Peter, Paul, and John imply their own roles as spiritual fathers. Since the Bible frequently speaks of this spiritual fatherhood, we Catholics acknowledge it and follow the custom of the apostles by calling priests “father.” Failure to acknowledge this is a failure to recognize and honor a great gift God has bestowed on the Church: the spiritual fatherhood of the priesthood.”

BTW, I HOPE you are consistent and don't call your biological father “dad” or “father”. If you do, you are not being consistent.

terraricca
    Participant

CA
    why is your church only copy what Paul said and not what Paul did ,like poor out is live for the church in stead of enrich himself by the wealth of the world,

you try to prove your church right to exist as true church by picking in the scriptures what you think would useful

Elizabeth
    Participant

CA

Have you ever said to a child, not your own child, son?
    Paul, and the other apostles may have referred to other younger followers as son, but did these ever call the apostles father?
    And why should my son not call me dad or father? do you know the definition of father: “He who gives life to the son”.
    Why do you thing Jesus calls his Father, Father? because he received “life” from him.
    Father, is an authority figure, and that is what the Catholic church is all about, authority.

Georg

mikeboll64
    Blocked

Hi CA,

I agree with Georg about people calling younger ones child, son, sonny, little missy, etc.  Just a figure of speech.  As for Paul saying “I became your father through the gospel”, I think he was correcting the congregation as a father would his children.  He didn't tell them to call him father.  He didn't say, “Father is my new title in the church”.

Do you think this one sentence out of thousands Paul wrote is the basis for your church's hierarchy?  

And yes I call my male parent father sometimes, but more often dad.  Do you really think that was what Jesus was talking about?  Or do you think it was more like I posted before?

peace and love,
    mike

Quote (Elizabeth @ Feb. 22 2010,16:31)
    CA

Paul, and the other apostles may have referred to other younger followers as son, but did these ever call the apostles father?
    And why should my son not call me dad or father? do you know the definition of father: “He who gives life to the son”.
    Why do you thing Jesus calls his Father, Father? because he received “life” from him.
    Father, is an authority figure, and that is what the Catholic church is all about, authority.

Georg

Did St. Paul ever “beget” anyone in or according to the Gospel?

Jesus didn't say, “You can call your earthly father “father”, that's OK. I'm not talking about THAT”. Did He?

You are cherry picking again.

Quote (mikeboll64 @ Feb. 22 2010,17:05)
    Hi CA,

I agree with Georg about people calling younger ones child, son, sonny, little missy, etc.  Just a figure of speech.  As for Paul saying “I became your father through the gospel”, I think he was correcting the congregation as a father would his children.  He didn't tell them to call him father.  He didn't say, “Father is my new title in the church”.

Do you think this one sentence out of thousands Paul wrote is the basis for your church's hierarchy?  

And yes I call my male parent father sometimes, but more often dad.  Do you really think that was what Jesus was talking about?  Or do you think it was more like I posted before?

peace and love,
    mike

So did Peter under the inspiration of the Holy Spirit err when he called the early Jewish spiritual leaders “fathers”?

NickHassan
    Participant

Hi CA,
    The anointed fathers of Judaism are alive yet in the bosom of Abraham.
    But you address deceived men as father.
    Why?

Elizabeth
    Participant

Quote (CatholicApologist @ Feb. 27 2010,11:18)

Quote (Elizabeth @ Feb. 22 2010,16:31)
    CA

Georg

Did St. Paul ever “beget” anyone in or according to the Gospel?

Jesus didn't say, “You can call your earthly father “father”, that's OK.  I'm not talking about THAT”.  Did He?

You are cherry picking again.

CA

Do you even know what a cherry looks like, I ask because you are so confused in your response.

Georg

NickHassan
    Participant

Hi CA,
    Both Paul and Jesus spoke of their children.
    Both were servants of the most High God and filled with His Spirit.
    God begat Christ of His Spirit and Christ begat Paul and Paul begat many sons and daughters for God.

But what made them all children of God was being reborn from above of the Holy Spirit.

david
    Participant

On thinker's thinking:

If being a bishop is your call. I hope you come into the Church. And I hope you fulfill your first vocation…to be holy and to reach eternal life.

–CA

Speaking of God, every translations conveys this thought at Rev 15:4:

For you alone are holy

Thinker, is this possible? Can people be holy? (Israel was called “holy”) Yet, God “alone” is holy.

I think, we have a new trinity. Is the above proof of anything? Does the above logic prove anything?

Viewing 13 posts - 101 through 113 (of 113 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 1999 - 2024 Heaven Net

Navigation

© 1999 - 2023 - Heaven Net
or

or    

Forgot your details?

or

Create Account