Bodhitharta — boycott him now

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 81 through 88 (of 88 total)
  • Author
    princess
    Participant

Is natural selection already beginning to reduce the frequency of god genes?  Apparently believers are faster breeders so perhaps the effect will be slow.

Prince,

Epi genetics will disagree with your conclusion. Can you direct me to stats that state such as ones that carry the concept of god are faster breeders then ones that do not.

princess
    Participant

Quote (Stu @ Aug. 24 2011,15:42)

Quote (princess @ Aug. 24 2011,08:40)
    Prince,

Is an interesting study of sort, however, i am not totally convinced. I have met many people in my life, and can pair many up that do not know each other and have the same mannerisms, beliefs. Also, it seems a comparison was not done with a random of say 100 people to see if the same, I tend to think this is what the 'dating services' use a 'compatibility test'. Perhaps with this information a proper comparison can be done.

I think science is very interested in religion, tis what started the whole matter of science, was questioning the religions and gods. So without religion would it be called science today, or would it still be considered philosophy.

Without experimental methodology science would still be philosophy.  Perhaps you could claim that it was really Stalin that started the human rights movement because people questioned his approach.  Despite the cheesy platitudes of those who have been awarded the Templeton Prize…

http://www.templetonprize.org/

…religion and science are not complimentary, they are entirely contradictory.

I can't remember how many pairs of separated twins the researcher in the video has worked with, but it is well over 100.  His conclusions regarding the degree of religious commitment are not made just on the basis of one or two cases.  This is a well established pattern.

Stuart

Finding commons in individuals is not that hard of a task, and yes it would most likely increase when the same genetic material is involved, however a comparison in the complete opposite would be needed to confirm such findings.

I do not disagree that science and religion are on the opposite ends of the spectrum, however, opposites do attrach to each other. So there is a irony of sort to the matter.

It seems the comment of Stalin/human rights/Templeton Prize must have some common thought with you, however, I am not able to make the connection.

Stu
    Participant

Quote (princess @ Aug. 25 2011,23:05)

Is natural selection already beginning to reduce the frequency of god genes?  Apparently believers are faster breeders so perhaps the effect will be slow.

Prince,

Epi genetics will disagree with your conclusion. Can you direct me to stats that state such as ones that carry the concept of god are faster breeders then ones that do not.

Not sure what the stats are exactly. The suggestion was made recently here and elsewhere:

http://entertainment.timesonline.co.uk/tol….975.ece

Stuart

Stu
    Participant

Quote (princess @ Aug. 25 2011,23:22)

I can't remember how many pairs of separated twins the researcher in the video has worked with, but it is well over 100.  His conclusions regarding the degree of religious commitment are not made just on the basis of one or two cases.  This is a well established pattern.

Stuart

Finding commons in individuals is not that hard of a task, and yes it would most likely increase when the same genetic material is involved, however a comparison in the complete opposite would be needed to confirm such findings.

I don't understand your point about a complete opposite needed. What do you mean by that? What we are talking about is the positive identification on a large scale of a direct relationship between genetics and “religiosity”. This means there are god genes, although that might be too simplistic a term for them.

They might be resignation to believe nonsense genes too. They might be a lack of skepticism genes, leaving the person defenseless against woo. This might just be the genetics of mental immunity.

Whatever it is, there is a fundamental implication for how we view religious belief, and I think it tends to kill dead the assertions of those who think their “special experiences” are sufficient grounds to tell others what their unknowable god wants those other people to do.

Genetics might have called the bluff of those with Imaginary Friends. Will that be understood by believers on mass? No, they are immune, for apparently evolutionary reasons.

Interesting, eh.

Stuart

Proclaimer
    Participant

Quote (Stu @ Aug. 27 2011,01:04)
    I don't understand your point about a complete opposite needed. What do you mean by that? What we are talking about is the positive identification on a large scale of a direct relationship between genetics and “religiosity”. This means there are god genes, although that might be too simplistic a term for them.

It's easy to blame genes or point to genes for everything.
    But there is more to reality than genes.

Is there a gene for believing that there is life on other planets? Is there an Atheist gene? Is there a common gene for all those who drive blue cars?

Stu
    Participant

Quote (t8 @ Sep. 13 2011,16:10)

Quote (Stu @ Aug. 27 2011,01:04)
    I don't understand your point about a complete opposite needed.  What do you mean by that?  What we are talking about is the positive identification on a large scale of a direct relationship between genetics and “religiosity”.  This means there are god genes, although that might be too simplistic a term for them.

It's easy to blame genes or point to genes for everything.
    But there is more to reality than genes.

Is there a gene for believing that there is life on other planets? Is there an Atheist gene? Is there a common gene for all those who drive blue cars?

The evidence is that there is a strong genetic component to religious devotion. Such effects typically run to 45% influence, with 55% attributable to environment.

I guess that gives license to the god-deluded to prostyletise tediously and generally bang on about their Imaginary Friends on the off-chance that those without the god genes might be overcome by their environmental influences, while those who are already under a god delusion but without god genes could simply see for themselves that gods are Imaginary Friends entertained by those who did not put the things of childhood behind them.

Of course there could be another point of view on this…

Stuart

francis
    Participant

what happened to Bodhitharta ?

Ed J
    Participant

Quote (francis @ Oct. 01 2011,14:26)
    what happened to Bodhitharta ?

Hi Francis,

Glad to see your back!
    BD pops in every now and then.

God bless
    Ed J (Joshua 22:34)
    http://www.holycitybiblecode.org

Viewing 8 posts - 81 through 88 (of 88 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 1999 - 2024 Heaven Net

Navigation

© 1999 - 2023 - Heaven Net
or

or    

Forgot your details?

or

Create Account