Atheism

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 20 posts - 161 through 180 (of 753 total)
  • Author
    mikeboll64
    Blocked

Quote (bodhitharta @ Jan. 04 2012,17:04)

Quote (WhatIsTrue @ Jan. 05 2012,07:16)
    terraricca,

I am not talking about what someday will happen.  I am talking about what's already happening.

Fact #1: The world is far less religious than it was 2000 years ago.
    Fact #2: The world is far less violent than it was 2000 years ago.

My contention is that that is not a coincidence.

Fact #3 The world is far more permissive of crime, violent or nonviolent

Fact #4 because of this decline in Morality it is a fact that the majority of people especially women of europe are medicating to cope and suicide is at its highest rate ever all over the world from teens to seniors.

Violence is often a byproduct of purpose, depression and permissiveness is mostly the byproduct of hopelessness

Good post, Asana.

terraricca
    Participant

Quote (bodhitharta @ Jan. 05 2012,17:04)

Quote (WhatIsTrue @ Jan. 05 2012,07:16)
    terraricca,

I am not talking about what someday will happen.  I am talking about what's already happening.

My contention is that that is not a coincidence.

Fact #4 because of this decline in Morality it is a fact that the majority of people especially women of europe are medicating to cope and suicide is at its highest rate ever all over the world from teens to seniors.

Violence is often a byproduct of purpose, depression and permissiveness is mostly the byproduct of hopelessness

bod

I think you under estimate the rich man, it take time and money to be corrupt ,the poor are to busy find a way to cope with live,

the world is turning into a modern Sodom ,many countries have now legalized homosexuality in the army,civil laws are made equal as for normal people ,and these people are among the elites of society ,ego+corruption+drugs+abuses and violence are all in one bag

Pierre

WhatIsTrue
    Participant

Quote (bodhitharta @ Jan. 05 2012,05:04)

Really?  You think the world is more permissive of crime?

Have you tried owning a slave recently?  How about beating your kids in public?  Hhhhmmmm, how about smoking a cigarette inside a public building?

What's that?  You can't do any of those things?  Why do you think that is?

(For the record, I don't think that smoking is a crime, but it helps to prove a certain point.)

What you really mean is that the world is less observant of biblical morality, (i.e. people are more tolerant of homosexuality, sex outside of marriage, etc.).  Well, I have a proposal for you.

Which world would you rather live in:

1) A world where people are commonly enslaved, slaughtered, or savagely mistreated by neighbors both near and far, (i.e. 200 years ago)

2) A world where people you don't have to associate with do things that you don't like behind closed doors, (i.e. today)

Tough choice!

WhatIsTrue
    Participant

Mike,

It's obvious that your understanding of evolution is cartoonish at best.

Have you ever read about the peppered moth?  Start here and you might learn something.

Quote (mikeboll64 @ Jan. 05 2012,06:32)
    Do you seriously think all the “good people” who do “evil things” do it because of religion?  ???

Let me answer your question with a question.

If an angel of God appeared to you tonight and told you that God wanted you to sacrifice your kids on an altar to show your devotion to God, would you do it?

Please don't cop out by saying that God would never ask you to do such a thing, because there are many biblical examples where God asked his “servants” to sacrifice family members, either directly or indirectly, to prove their devotion to him.

The only question is whether or not you would be obedient to such a request.

Ed J
    Participant

Quote (WhatIsTrue @ Jan. 05 2012,15:09)

1) A world where people are commonly enslaved, slaughtered, or savagely mistreated by neighbors both near and far, (i.e. 200 years ago)

2) A world where people you don't have to associate with do things that you don't like behind closed doors, (i.e. today)

Tough choice!

Hi WIT,

Out of those two choices perhaps, but the world is
    a bit more complicated than that, don't you think?

God bless
    Ed J (Joshua 22:34)
    http://www.holycitybiblecode.org

WhatIsTrue
    Participant

Quote (mikeboll64 @ Jan. 05 2012,06:50)

Quote (WhatIsTrue @ Jan. 04 2012,14:16)

Can you post the sources of this info, WIT?

Can you post where violent crime in America, for instance, is on a steady decline from, say, 1916?

Because it seems to me that more people in America believed in God in 1916, and there was less violent crime – compared with fewer people in America believing in God today, and much more violent crime.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ramBFRt1Uzk

Or read about it here.

(I believe that Stu posted this video elsewhere on the forum.)

WhatIsTrue
    Participant

Quote (Ed J @ Jan. 05 2012,10:20)
    Hi WIT,

Yes, but the point is that what was considered acceptable by most centuries ago is no longer acceptable to most people today.  Life is obviously not perfect in our times, but we have certainly improved upon where we once were as a society.

Ed J
    Participant

Quote (WhatIsTrue @ Jan. 05 2012,15:30)

Hi WIT,

Yes, but the point is that what was considered acceptable by most centuries ago is no longer acceptable to most people today.  Life is obviously not perfect in our times, but we have certainly improved upon where we once were as a society.

Hi WIT,

I would agree that abolishing slavery to put up with homo's
    would be a fair trade, but I don't believe that is how life works?
    Abortion on demand is murder, would YOU put murder above slavery?

God bless

TimothyVI
    Participant

Quote (Ed J @ Jan. 05 2012,15:44)

God bless

Hi Ed,

would you accuse God of murder?

This was written by Hosea, a prophet. In fact the prophet of love.

Hos 13:16  Samaria shall become desolate; for she hath rebelled against her God: they shall fall by the sword: their infants shall be dashed in pieces, and their women with child shall be ripped up.

Tim

terraricca
    Participant

whatistrue

I think you under estimate the rich man, it take time and money to be corrupt ,the poor are to busy find a way to cope with live,

the world is turning into a modern Sodom ,many countries have now legalized homosexuality in the army,civil laws are made equal as for normal people ,and these people are among the elites of society ,ego+corruption+drugs+abuses and violence are all in one bag

Pierre

Ed J
    Participant

Quote (TimothyVI @ Jan. 05 2012,21:41)

Quote (Ed J @ Jan. 05 2012,15:44)

God bless

Hi Ed,

would you accuse God of murder?

This was written by Hosea, a prophet. In fact the prophet of love.

Hos 13:16  Samaria shall become desolate; for she hath rebelled against her God: they shall fall by the sword: their infants shall be dashed in pieces, and their women with child shall be ripped up.

Tim

Hi Tim,

Would you accuse a computer repairman of wrongdoing if he had to wipe the hard-drive?
    You seem to be forgetting that we are all going to be resurrected by the one 'YOU' call a murder.

God bless

TimothyVI
    Participant

I merely quoted a passage from the bible, and asked you a question. And you say, “the one 'YOU' call a murder”.

Shame on you Ed.

Tim

bodhitharta
    Participant

Quote (WhatIsTrue @ Jan. 05 2012,15:09)

Quote (bodhitharta @ Jan. 05 2012,05:04)

Really?  You think the world is more permissive of crime?

Have you tried owning a slave recently?  How about beating your kids in public?  Hhhhmmmm, how about smoking a cigarette inside a public building?

What's that?  You can't do any of those things?  Why do you think that is?

(For the record, I don't think that smoking is a crime, but it helps to prove a certain point.)

What you really mean is that the world is less observant of biblical morality, (i.e. people are more tolerant of homosexuality, sex outside of marriage, etc.).  Well, I have a proposal for you.

Tough choice!

Actually what's interesting is the less reason there is to live a hopeless life the more hopeless it will become.

Hundreds of years ago food wasn't everywhere you look all packaged up and ready to fulfill hunger, so today when a person is hungry and can't eat it is far more devastating to that person seeing that there is no reason for anyone in the world to go to bed hungry which brings out the obvious Evil is more noticeable.

Violence hundreds of years ago was much more simple today violence in the form of neglect is far more devastating mainly because it is incomprehensible to the mind that if there is an abundant resource why you cannot have it whether it be a place to live, something to eat, clothes to wear or for that matter even someone to talk to. Scams, scandals, fraud, polluting food and water without a whim is all very violent.

and yes being bombarded with homosexuality and promiscuousness is also devestating because kids end up without families or severely disfunctional families

Today we live in both those worlds at the same time

bodhitharta
    Participant

Quote (TimothyVI @ Jan. 06 2012,02:13)
    I merely quoted a passage from the bible, and asked you a question. And you say, “the one 'YOU' call a murder”.

Shame on you Ed.

Tim

Tim

You should have quoted a passage from the Quran then ED would have wholeheartedly said yes God(Allah) is a murderer but he can't take his own belief system seriously.

The Quran says

O ye who believe! Be not like the Unbelievers, who say of their brethren, when they are travelling through the Earth or engaged in fighting: “If they had stayed with us, they would not have died, or been slain.” This that Allah may make it a cause of sighs and regrets in their hearts. It is Allah that gives life and death, and Allah sees well all that ye do.
    ( سورة آل عمران , Aal-e-Imran, Chapter #3, Verse #156)

mikeboll64
    Blocked

Quote (WhatIsTrue @ Jan. 04 2012,22:20)
    If an angel of God appeared to you tonight and told you that God wanted you to sacrifice your kids on an altar to show your devotion to God, would you do it?

Absolutely.

mikeboll64
    Blocked

Mike,

It's obvious that your understanding of evolution is cartoonish at best.

WIT, the entire prospect of life starting from “nothing” and evolving into the millions of species today is cartoonish.

Have you ever read about the peppered moth?

Unless I missed something, it seems like there existed black moths and peppered moths all along.  It used to be easier for the peppered moths to hide from birds, and so there were more of them.  But once the trees turned black from soot, it became easier for the black moths to hide from birds, and so there became more of them.

Doesn't it make perfect sense that there would be less of the species that was more visible to their predators?  If we placed 20 bright red lizards and 20 sand colored lizards in an enclosed section of desert, which color do you think there would be more of in a years time – seeing how the birds of prey would spot the red ones more easily?

I don't think any of us deny that species may eventually evolve due to their surroundings.  I believe I've evolved since moving from Iowa to Arizona.  My blood vessels have moved closer to the surface of my skin for a better cooling effect in the heat – or so I've been told.  All I know is that 120 degrees doesn't seem all that hot anymore, but if it gets below 75, I'm putting on a jacket and shivering.  I used to go swimming in Iowa once it reached 45-50 degrees in the spring. I think I would have hypothermia within a minute if I tried that now.

Anyway, these tiny changes to adapt to our environment are a far cry from an amoeba deciding it wants a mouth, and then eyes, and then legs, and then warm blood and fur, etc.  Nor do these tiny evolutions give any clue as to how and why life as we know it even started in the first place.

You keep your god and I'll keep mine, okay?

terraricca
    Participant

mike

I eard that the scientist have cross bread a mink with a kangaroo and gess what they come up with .?

A furr coat with pockets :D

mikeboll64
    Blocked

:D

WhatIsTrue
    Participant

Quote (mikeboll64 @ Jan. 05 2012,06:32)
    Do you seriously think all the “good people” who do “evil things” do it because of religion?  ???

Quote (mikeboll64 @ Jan. 06 2012,03:49)

Absolutely.

Case closed.

(I really hope that I don't have to explain to you how evil it is for a parent to be prepared to kill his own child.  It's shocking how quickly you agreed to that possibility.)

WhatIsTrue
    Participant

Quote (Ed J @ Jan. 05 2012,10:44)

Quote (WhatIsTrue @ Jan. 05 2012,15:30)

Hi WIT,

Hi WIT,

God bless

Are you saying that you would bring back slavery and genocide against Native Americans if abortions were outlawed?

Viewing 20 posts - 161 through 180 (of 753 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 1999 - 2024 Heaven Net

Navigation

© 1999 - 2023 - Heaven Net
or

or    

Forgot your details?

or

Create Account