1914 – what happened?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author

Jehovah’s Witnesses are known for speaking much about the year 1914. They currently teach that
    Christ returned invisibly in October of 1914 – and at that time he set up his heavenly kingdom.
    Watchtower publications presently state that the generation of people alive in 1914 will not pass
    away before the battle of Armageddon.

With these facts in mind and without commenting on the correctness of their teachings about 1914,
    we would like you to consider this statement made on page 24 of the September 1, 1985
    Watchtower magazine:

From 1876 onward, Jehovah’s people served notice upon the world, and particularly upon
    Christendom, that the Gentile Times would end in the fall of 1914…The clergy could not ignore this
    preliminary work of almost 40 years – a work corresponding to that of John the Baptizer. Those
    clergymen waited eagerly to pounce upon this journal’s editor should 1914 pass without any
    outstanding events to correspond with those about which he warned. But, oh, how they were
    silenced when on July 28, 1914, peace was shattered by the outbreak of World War 1!

The Watchtower seems to be saying that World War 1 fulfilled the predictions they had made about
    1914. However, we ask you to compare this recent statement in the Watchtower with what was
    printed in the book Light, volume 1, page 194. This book was published in 1930 by the Watchtower
    Society:

The Watch Tower, and its companion publications of the Society, for forty years emphasized the
    fact that 1914 would witness the establishment of God’s kingdom and the complete glorification of
    the church. During that period of forty years God’s people on earth were carrying on a witness
    work, which work was foreshadowed by Elijah and John the Baptist. All of the Lord’s people looked
    forward to 1914 with joyful expectation. When that time came and passed there was much
    disappointment, chagrin and mourning, and the Lord’s people were greatly in reproach. They were
    ridiculed by the clergy and their allies in particular, and pointed to with scorn, because they had
    said so much about 1914, and what would come to pass, and their “prophecies” had not been
    fulfilled. [Emphasis added]

Which Watchtower publication is telling the truth? Were their critics silenced by the outbreak of
    World War 1, or did their critics point to them with scorn because their prophecies about 1914 had
    not been fulfilled?

What did Charles Taze Russell, the first president of the Watchtower Society, predict for the year
    1914? Let’s consider what he wrote in The Time is at Hand, volume 2 of Studies in the Scriptures.
    This book was written in 1889. On page 99 Russell wrote:

In view of this strong Bible evidence concerning the Times of the Gentiles, we consider it an
    established truth that the final end of the Kingdoms of this world, and the full establishment of the
    Kingdom of God, will be accomplished by the end of A.D. 1914.

Russell considered it an established truth that all the kingdoms of the world would be destroyed in
    1914. When he spoke of the full establishment of God’s Kingdom, he was not referring to a
    heavenly kingdom. On page 101 of this same book he explained that he believed the Kingdom had
    been set up in heaven in 1878. Notice also what Russell wrote on pages 76 and 77:

In this chapter we present the Bible evidence proving that the full end of the times of the Gentiles,
    i.e., the full end of their lease of dominion, will be reached in A.D. 1914; and that that date will be
    the farthest limit of the rule of imperfect men. [Emphasis added]

What else was Russell expecting for 1914? He continues:

That at that date the Kingdom of God. ..will have obtained full, universal control, and that it will then
    be ‘set up’ or firmly established, in the earth … [Emphasis added]

Russell, on the same page, also said:

It will prove that some time before the end of A.D. 1914 the last member of the divinely recognized
    Church of Christ, the “royal priesthood,” “the body of Christ,” will be glorified with the Head.

No wonder Russell’s critics pointed to his followers with scorn when his predictions did not come
    true. There was no destruction of earthly kingdoms by 1914 – no set up of God’s Kingdom on earth.
    Nor were Russell’s followers taken to heaven at that time, either.

True, when World War 1 did break out in the summer of 1914, Russell thought his prophecies were
    about to be fulfilled. But when October of 1914 came, nothing extraordinary happened.

But Russell, of necessity, had already been “hedging his bets” about 1914. A year or so before he
    was changing some of his statements in Studies in the Scriptures about 1914 to 1915. He started
    printing some cautionary statements to try to prepare people if his prophecies did not come to
    pass. In the September 1, 1914 Watch tower, Russell suggested:

While it is possible that Armageddon may begin next Spring, yet it is purely speculation to attempt
    to say just when. We see, however, that there are parallels between the close of the Jewish age
    and this Gospel age. These parallels seem to point to the year just before us – particularly the early
    months.

Russell was learning not to be so dogmatic. However, he did feel Armageddon was imminent. In the
    book Pastor Russell’s Sermons, published by the Watchtower Society in 1917, Russell said on page
    676:

The present great war in Europe is the beginning of the Armageddon of the Scriptures (Rev. 16:16-
    20.) It will eventuate in the complete overthrow of all the systems of error which have so long
    oppressed the people of God and deluded the world. [Emphasis added]

In fact, shortly before his death in 1916 Russell was proposing 1918 as a new date. Charles Russell
    lived and died believing God had given him special insight into His times and seasons, predicting
    things for 1878, 1881, 1910, and 1914. Nothing he prophesied came to pass. He would have been
    better off following Jesus’ words at Acts 1:6, 7 where He counseled His disciples that it does not
    belong to us to get knowledge of God’s times and seasons. Instead, Russell, according to
    Deuteronomy 18:20-22 proved himself a false prophet.

david
    Participant

Which Watchtower publication is telling the truth? Were their critics silenced by the outbreak of
    World War 1, or did their critics point to them with scorn because their prophecies about 1914 had
    not been fulfilled?

Both happened.  

But first, a quote from you:
    “But I will answer here again. Since does not hurt my cause ONE IOTA to admit that bishops and popes have made GRAVE errors in judgment.”–bloody History thread, page 3
    So the bishops and popes have made “GRAVE errors in judgment” in your words.

Are JW's allowed to make errors in judgment? (If not, that would be hypopotamus).

Anyway, as I said, both happened. First, the critics were silenced when the whole world went to war, and the world seemed to be coming to an end.
    The New York World of August 30, 1914, explains: “The terrific war outbreak in Europe has fulfilled an extraordinary prophecy. For a quarter of a century past, through preachers and through press, the ‘International Bible Students’ [as Jehovah’s Witnesses were then known] . . . have been proclaiming to the world that the Day of Wrath prophesied in the Bible would dawn in 1914.”–The World, a New York newspaper, August 30, 1914.

As it turned out, these things were only a “beginning of pangs of distress.”

“For nation will rise against nation and kingdom against kingdom, and there will be food shortages and earthquakes in one place after another.  All these things are a beginning of pangs of distress. (Mat 24:7)

Yes, their expectations were wrong.  They expected that year to be the end, but came to believe that that year was only the beginning of what the Bible calls the “end of this system of things” or the “last days.”

Due to their zeal, true Christians have at times had wrong expectations.

Examples:
    Shortly before Jesus died, his disciples “were imagining that the kingdom of God was going to display itself instantly.” Then, after his resurrection they asked whether the Kingdom would be set up right away. Also, about ten years before Peter wrote his second letter, some were “excited” by “a verbal message” or “a letter,” reputedly from the apostle Paul or his companions, “to the effect that the day of Jehovah is here.” (Luke 19:11; 2 Thessalonians 2:2; Acts 1:6)
    They were a bit early.

Anyway,  How do secular authorities or historians view 1914?

“Ever since 1914, everybody conscious of trends in the world has been deeply troubled by what has seemed like a fated and predetermined march toward ever greater disaster. Many serious people have come to feel that nothing can be done to avert the plunge towards ruin.”—Bertrand Russell, The New York Times Magazine, September 27, 1953.

The London Evening Star commented that the conflict “tore the whole world’s political setup apart. Nothing could ever be the same again. If we all get the nuclear madness out of our systems and the human race survives, some historian in the next century may well conclude that the day the world went mad was August 4, 1914.”–London Evening Star, quoted in the New Orleans Times-Picayune, August 5, 1960, and The Seattle Times, August 4, 1960, p. 5.

“Half a century has gone by, yet the mark that the tragedy of the Great War [World War I, which started in 1914] left on the body and soul of the nations has not faded . . . The physical and moral magnitude of this ordeal was such that nothing left was the same as before. Society in its entirety: systems of government, national borders, laws, armed forces, interstate relations, but also ideologies, family life, fortunes, positions, personal relations—everything was changed from top to bottom. . . . Humanity finally lost its balance, never to recover it to this day.”—General Charles de Gaulle, speaking in 1968 (Le Monde, Nov. 12, 1968, p. 9).

“The last completely ‘normal’ year in history was 1913, the year before World War I began.”—Editorial in the Times-Herald, Washington, D.C., March 13, 1949.

“Looking back from the vantage point of the present we see clearly today that the outbreak of World War I ushered in a twentieth-century ‘Time of Troubles’—in the expressive term of the British historian Arnold Toynbee—from which our civilization has by no means yet emerged. Directly or indirectly all the convulsions of the last half century stem back to 1914.”—The Fall of the Dynasties: The Collapse of the Old Order (New York, 1963), Edmond Taylor, p. 16.

No previous war in history compared with it. It was so different that historians of that time called it The Great War.
    Of it, an encyclopedia states: “World War I took the lives of twice as many men as all major wars from 1790 to 1913 put together.” It noted that total military casualties were over 37,000,000, and added: “The number of civilian deaths in areas of actual war totaled about 5,000,000. Starvation, disease, and exposure accounted for about 80 of every 100 of these civilian deaths. Spanish influenza, which some persons blamed on the war, caused tens of millions of other deaths.–The World Book Encyclopedia, 1966, Vol. 20, p. 377.
    World War! Pestilences! Food shortages!

“Everything would get better and better. This was the world I was born in. . . . Suddenly, unexpectedly, one morning in 1914 the whole thing came to an end.”—British statesman Harold Macmillan, The New York Times, November 23, 1980.

“Increasingly, the 75-year period from 1914 to 1989, covering two world wars and the cold war, is being seen by historians as a single, discrete epoch, a time apart in which much of the world was fighting war, recovering from war or preparing for war.”—The New York Times, May 7, 1995.
    “The whole world really blew up about World War I and we still don’t know why. Before then, men thought that utopia was in sight. There was peace and prosperity. Then everything blew up. We’ve been in a state of suspended animation ever since . . . More people have been killed in this century than in all of history.”—Dr. Walker Percy, American Medical News, November 21, 1977.

“It is indeed the year 1914 rather than that of Hiroshima which marks the turning point in our time, for by now we can see that . . . it was the first world war that ushered in the era of confused transition in the midst of which we are floundering.”—Dr. René Albrecht-Carrié, Barnard College, The Scientific Monthly, July 1951.

“In 1914 the world lost a coherence which it has not managed to recapture since. . . . This has been a time of extraordinary disorder and violence, both across national frontiers and within them.”—The Economist, London, August 4, 1979.

“World War I and its aftermath led to the greatest economic depression in history during the early 1930’s. The consequences of the war and the problems of adjustment to peace led to unrest in almost every nation.”–The World Book Encyclopedia (1966, Vol. 20) on page 379 under its heading “World War I”

Author Maurice Genevoix, who was a military officer during that war, said of it: “Everyone agrees in recognizing that in the whole history of mankind, few dates have had the importance of August 2, 1914. First Europe and soon after almost all humanity found themselves plunged into a dreadful event. Conventions, agreements, moral laws, all the foundations shook; from one day to the next, everything was called into question. The event was to exceed both instinctive forebodings and reasonable anticipations. Enormous, chaotic, monstrous, it still drags us in its wake.”—Maurice Genevoix, member of the Académie Française, quoted in the book Promise of Greatness (1968).

“The modern era . . . began in 1914, an
    d no one knows when or how it will end. . . . It could end in mass annihilation.”—The Seattle Times, January 1, 1959.

“In its scope, its violence, and above all, in its totality, it established a precedent. World War I ushered in the century of Total War, of—in the first full sense of the term—global war. . . .Never before 1914-1918 had a war absorbed so much of the total resources of so many combatants and covered so large a part of the earth. Never had so many nations been involved. Never had the slaughter been so comprehensive and indiscriminate.”–World War I, by H.W. Baldwin, pages 1,2

The World Book Encyclopedia noted that the number of soldiers killed and wounded was over 37,000,000, and added:
    “The number of civilian deaths in areas of actual war totaled about 5,000,000. Starvation, disease, and exposure accounted for about 80 of every 100 of these civilian deaths. Spanish influenza, which some persons blamed on the war, caused tens of millions of other deaths.”—1966 edition, Vol. 20, p. 377.

More than 50 years after 1914, German statesman Konrad Adenauer wrote: “Security and quiet have disappeared from the lives of men since 1914.”—The West Parker, Cleveland, Ohio, January 20, 1966.

“Some historians believe that the 20th century will be seen as a time of unparalleled savagery,” notes The New York Times.

An article in The Washington Post concurs: “Our 20th-century wars have been ‘total wars’ against combatants and civilians alike,” it says. “The casualties, including the genocide of the Jews, are measured in the tens of millions. The barbarian wars of centuries past were alley fights in comparison.” Civil insurrections have added to the carnage. How many have died? “The ‘megadeaths’ since 1914, by an estimate of Zbigniew Brzezinski, have totaled 197 million, ‘the equivalent of more than one in ten of the total world population in 1900,’” says the Post. It adds that it is an “indisputable fact that terrorism and wanton killing are embedded deeply in the culture of this century” and that “no political or economic system has so far in this century pacified or satisfied the restless millions.”

As regards economic consequences, Ashby Bladen, a senior vice president of The Guardian Life Insurance Company of America, writes: “Before 1914 the monetary and the financial systems were compatible. . . . If one takes August 1914 as marking the dividing line between them, the contrasts between the nineteenth and the twentieth centuries are striking. In many aspects of human affairs there has been a complete reversal of trend. . . . One major reason was the severance of the linkage between the financial system and money with intrinsic value that began in 1914. . . . The breaking of the linkage was a momentous event. . . . 1914 marked a radical, and in the end catastrophic, transformation of that system.”

“The 19th century—defined as a set of beliefs, assumptions, attitudes and morals—did not end on Jan. 1, 1901,” wrote columnist Charley Reese. “It ended in 1914. That’s also when the 20th century, defined the same way, began.”
    Reese explained: “Virtually all of the conflicts that we have been concerned with all of our lives stemmed from that [first world] war. . . . It destroyed 19th century optimism and created the 20th century versions of hedonism, cynicism, anxiety, angst and nihilism.”

Cindy
    Participant

C A

I find it strange, you a Catholic, have so much knowledge of the JWs, I find it even stranger that you go through such length to post all the teaching of that organization; do you perhaps have a hidden agenda?
    The JWs were not the only organization that prophesied things to occur, so why dwell on that; do you think any one is interested? The same goes for your so called “saints” of the Catholic church whatever they have written, I could care less. The Catholic church is the whore of Rev. 17:15, whatever her bishops, cardinals, and popes have written is of no value to a true believer.
    So, why not stop the finger pointing, and tell us what you believe, and understand.

Georg

Not3in1
    Participant

Quote (Cindy @ Sep. 06 2009,10:43)
    C A

I find it strange, you a Catholic, have so much knowledge of the JWs, I find it even stranger that you go through such length to post all the teaching of that organization; do you perhaps have a hidden agenda?
    The JWs were not the only organization that prophesied things to occur, so why dwell on that; do you think any one is interested? The same goes for your so called “saints” of the Catholic church whatever they have written, I could care less. The Catholic church is the whore of Rev. 17:15, whatever her bishops, cardinals, and popes have written is of no value to a true believer.  
    So, why not stop the finger pointing, and tell us what you believe, and understand.

Georg

Hi Georg,

I'm actually interested in both the Catholic's and the JW's and what they have to say (and argue about). I find it most facinating that both religions claim to be THE ONE TRUE RELIGION. So to hear them duke-it-out, so to speak, is interesting to me.

Hope your well, Georg.

Love,
    Mandy

Cindy
    Participant

I'm doing fine Mandy, thank you.

1914 was the end of the seven times punishing period for the Israelites, and God had to make good on his promise to bring them back into their own land; he cleared the way for them to return by means of the first WW. He had the British drive out the Muslims out of Palestine.

Georg

Not3in1
    Participant

Quote (Cindy @ Sep. 06 2009,17:35)

1914 was the end of the seven times punishing period for the Israelites, and God had to make good on his promise to bring them back into their own land; he cleared the way for them to return by means of the first WW. He had the British drive out the Muslims out of Palestine.

Georg

Hi Georg,

I don't think I'll ever be smart enough or have the insight to figure stuff like this out. It's interesting though.

Love,
    Mandy

Proclaimer
    Participant

Yes false prophecies and predictions are embarrassing. It's as if Ron Weinland is following the same folly and there will be more to come to.
    The RCC has it's fair share of embarrassments too.

Conclusion: All organised religions of men will fail as they are not of God.

GeneBalthrop
    Participant

T8………….Amen to that post.

peace and love to you and yours………………..gene

Cindy
    Participant

Quote (Not3in1 @ Sep. 06 2009,18:20)

Quote (Cindy @ Sep. 06 2009,17:35)

Georg

Hi Georg,

I don't think I'll ever be smart enough or have the insight to figure stuff like this out.  It's interesting though.

Love,
    Mandy

Mandy

God warned the Israelites that if they would continue to disobey him, he would punish them 7 times more, Lev. 26:18.
    A time is a year of 360 days, God's punishment is a year for a day, 7 x 360 years = 2520 years.
    This punishment began with the invasion by the Babylonians in 606 B C, and ended in 1914 A D.
    Ezekiel prophesied they would loose their crown, Ez. 21:26, a crown is a symbol of self ruler-ship. Then in v. 27 he prophesied they would be ruled over by three other kingdoms in succession, the Media-Persia, the Greek, and last the Romans. In v. 27 Ezekiel speaks of, overturn “it”, and “it” shall be no more; this “it”, meaning “nation”, ceased to exist after 70 AD.
    But God had promised to bring them back after they served their sentence, Jer. 30:3, and he did; I already explained how.

Georg

Proclaimer
    Participant

In a manuscript Sir Isaac Newton wrote in 1704 in which he describes his attempts to extract scientific information from the Bible, he estimated. that the world would end no earlier than 2060. In predicting this he said, “This I mention not to assert when the time of the end shall be, but to put a stop to the rash conjectures of fanciful men who are frequently predicting the time of the end, and by doing so bring the sacred prophesies into discredit as often as their predictions fail.”

terraricca
    Participant

TO ALL
    so nothing new all what religion do is giving us a warm welcome into there world ,and for that there is a price to pay,'WEN A BLIND GUIDE S YOU WHO ARE BLIND YOU BOTH FALL IN TO THE CRACKS.

THIS IS WHY WE PERSONNLY HAVE TO TAKE CHRIST WORDS VERY SERIOUSLY WEN HE SAYS ABOUT THE SCRIPTURES 'YOUR WORD IS THE TRUTH' GOD S WORD THAT IS.

WHAT RELIGION HAS PRODUCED IS THE SPRAIDING OF THE WORD OF GOD TROUGHOUT THE EARTH,
    WITH THE FUND WHAT GOD AS PROVIDED TO THEM BY HIS WORD,THE HOLY BIBLE'

THOSE RELIGION DO NOT HAVE ANY CREDIT FOR THIS IN GOD S BANK IN HEAVEN,BECAUSE THEY HAVE BEEN PAID IN FULL FOR THERE WORK ON EARTH,IN CASH,IN HONOR,IN PRIDE,AND WHEALTH.

THEY ALSO HAVE BEEN THE SOURCE OF ALL MISINTERPRETATION,VIOLENCE,CUPIDITY,WRONGDOING,
    AND HIDE THE TRUTH OF GOD.TO MEN:p

Elizabeth
    Participant

Quote (t8 @ Feb. 28 2010,20:05)
    In a manuscript Sir Isaac Newton wrote in 1704 in which he describes his attempts to extract scientific information from the Bible, he estimated. that the world would end no earlier than 2060. In predicting this he said, “This I mention not to assert when the time of the end shall be, but to put a stop to the rash conjectures of fanciful men who are frequently predicting the time of the end, and by doing so bring the sacred prophesies into discredit as often as their predictions fail.”

t8

When Jesus spoke of the fig tree bringing forth leaves, was he not referring to the nation Israel?
    Israel brought forth leaves in 1948. He also said, this generation shall not pass, till all things be fulfilled.
    That generation will come to an end in less than a decade.
    I'm not making any predictions, I'm only telling what the Bible says.

Georg

Proclaimer
    Participant

I think that there is merit to that view. But I do point out that Sir Isaac Newton did say: “This I mention not to assert when the time of the end shall be, but to put a stop to the rash conjectures of fanciful men who are frequently predicting the time of the end”.

GeneBalthrop
    Participant

Georg.. and T8………..Read also what Newton said with regards to the trinity and his views on devils and demons , He was a Christian for over seventy years and wrote a lot on scriptures and to me makes much sense on what he has said. You can read a lot about his writing on the Newton Project, on line.

peace and love……………….gene

Elizabeth
    Participant

To who ever is interested

I don't know much about Newton, but I know what the Bible says.
    Daniel was told the cleansing of the “sanctuary” would happen in 2300 days, Dan. 8:14, these days are to be counted in years.
    The counting started in 457 BC (more information will be given at request), adding 2300 years brings us to the year 1843; that's when Rev. 12:7-12 happened. Now comes v. 13 into play.

Rev 12:13 ¶ And when the dragon saw that he was cast unto the earth, he persecuted the woman which brought forth the man child.

I think we will all agree the woman is Israel, and the child is Jesus.

Rev 12:17 And the dragon was wroth with the woman, and went to make war with the remnant of her seed, which keep (have) the commandments of God, and have the testimony of Jesus Christ.

How would Satan make war with the remnant of her (Israel's) seed, scattered all over the world?

Rev 16:13 And I saw three unclean spirits like frogs come out of the mouth of the dragon, and out of the mouth of the beast, and out of the mouth of the false prophet.
    Rev 16:14 For they are the spirits of devils, working miracles, which go forth unto the kings of the earth and of the whole world, to gather them to the battle of that great day of God Almighty.

Satan used his whole army of devils to work on the minds of governments, religion, and all the people, especially the younger generations; they are the easiest once to convince things are not right.
    By 1914 he had the whole world in ab-roar, so that all it took was one shot, the assassination of the Austrian Archduke Francis Ferdinand, and the whole world exploded in to WWI.
    WWI was the reason for WWII, it was during the reign of Hitler, that Satan was making war with the remnant, the Jews. Hitler killed over 6 million, and had he won the war he would have killed them all.
    WWI served another purpose, God had to make way for the Jews to return to their land; he used the British to drive out the Muslim Turks who occupied Palestine.
    Then in 1948, Israel was declared a nation again, that is when the counting of that generation began, Jesus said would not pass away till all things be fulfilled.
    Any one who is interested in more understanding of these things, ask. Isn't that why we are here, to learn? Does it matter were truth comes from, as long as it is truth? Should we let our pride keep us from learning? Is that not the reason we have so many denominations?

Georg

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 1999 - 2024 Heaven Net

Navigation

© 1999 - 2023 - Heaven Net
or

or    

Forgot your details?

or

Create Account