Reply To: The Holy Spirit, a separate person, essence of God, or force?

Sultan
Participant

Many people claim that the Holy Spirit is a person because attributes are given to it that can only be used to denote personality. I would like to challenge that notion and prove from scripture that this kind of thinking is not infallible, and that perhaps too much is being read into the text based on preconceived notions. Notice thes examples from scripture:

And some of the Pharisees called to Him from the crowd, “Teacher, rebuke Your disciples.” But He answered and said to them, “I tell you that if these should keep silent, the stones would immediately cry out.” (Luke 19:39-40)

Here Jesus says that “stones would cry out”. Are these stones persons?

For you shall go out with joy, And be led out with peace; The mountains and the hills Shall break forth into singing before you, And all the trees of the field shall clap their hands. (Isa. 55:12)

The mountains and hills will sing and the trees will clap their hands. Trees clap and have hands. Are these trees and mountains persons?

Wisdom has built her house,She has hewn out her seven pillars; (Prov. (9:1)

Wisdom builds a house. Is wisdom an actual person. Wisdom is actualized in Christ, but this text was written before Jesus came in the flesh, and the context of the passage is speaking of wisdom itself. My question is though is wisdom an actual person?

My point is if the Holy Spirit is a person because certain attributes are spoken of being possed by it. Then rocks, trees, mountains, etc must be persons too. If they are not then what rule of interpretation and exegesis is used to determine what’s a person and what’s not? :cool:

© 1999 - 2024 Heaven Net

Navigation

© 1999 - 2023 - Heaven Net
or

or    

Forgot your details?

or

Create Account