Worship – what is it – who is to be?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Istari
    Participant

Question: “Does the Bible describe Jesus being worshipped?”

Answer: Worship means reverence paid to a divine being. If Jesus was offered and accepted worship, then by doing so He was confirming His divinity. This is important because there are those who deny the deity of Christ, relegating Him instead to a lesser position than God. Yes, Jesus accepted worship. As the divine the second Person of the Trinity, He was and still is worshiped.

From the beginning of Jesus' life we see examples of Him being worshiped. As soon as the Magi laid eyes on the infant Christ, “they bowed down and worshiped Him” (Matthew 2:11). When Jesus made His triumphal entry into Jerusalem the Bible records the initial response He received: “So they took branches of palm trees and went out to meet him, crying out, ‘Hosanna! Blessed is he who comes in the name of the Lord, even the King of Israel!’” (Matthew 21:9; John 12:13) The word “Hosanna” ascribes all praise, honor, glory, and blessing to him who is being lauded. The type of behavior exhibited by the crowd is definitely a form of worship.

Just after Jesus, and even the Apostle Peter for a brief moment, amazed the disciples by walking on water they climbed into a boat where “those who were in the boat worshiped him, saying, Truly you are the Son of God’” (Matthew 14:33). Two more memorable examples of Jesus accepting worship occurred just after His resurrection. Mary Magdalene and some other women (Matthew 18:1; Mark 16:1; Luke 24:10) were on their way to tell the disciples of the resurrection when Jesus met them on their way. When they realized it was Him they “came to him, clasped his feet and worshiped him” (Matthew 28:9).

Then there is the case of Thomas, who didn't believe Jesus had risen from the dead despite the other disciples testifying to that fact. It had been about a week since the resurrection and Thomas still doubted it. Jesus, knowing Thomas doubted appeared to him and showed him the nail marks and the wound on His side. How did Thomas respond? “Thomas said to him, ‘My Lord and my God!’” (John 20:28) In none of these instances do we see Jesus telling those worshiping Him to stop, as did mere men, and even angels, who were being worshiped wrongly by others (Acts 10:25-26; Revelation 19:9-10).

We continue to offer worship to Jesus today by offering ourselves to Him as a living sacrifice—offering ourselves to God, through faith in Jesus Christ, to do with as He sees fit (Romans 12:1-2). Jesus said “God is spirit, and his worshipers must worship in spirit and in truth” (John 4:24). We worship God in spirit and truth by obedience to His commands. Worship is not solely about bowing to Jesus, throwing palm branches at His feet or singing and shouting about our love for Him. Worship is about responding to God's love for us by resting from our works as He completes the work He has begun in us.

Recommended Resource: How to Jesus worshipped Christ by Joseph Carroll.

This quote is from a Trinitarian website.

There are a few issues with the content and I am asking for comments on what is written in the quote and where the issues are that you see!

Hint – there are at least three – and one MAJOR ONE that the writer even admits!!!

Istari
    Participant

The quote is from : http://www.gotquestion.org

Istari
    Participant

http://www.gotquestions.org

(I had left out the 's')

shimmer
    Participant

Istari,

Jesus said to worship God, worship can have variation, we are all different, there is the louder boisterous type and there is the quieter, with prayer, reflection, inner love, thought, servitude, obediance, and also a type of fear, for a clue to worship, look at the son, what did Jesus do?

(switching usernames nevermind why!)

Istari
    Participant

So,
    Apart from Shimmer, no one has any idea what WORSHIP IS?

No wonder there is confusion over this issue.

Shimmer, Worship is ONE THING – there are no variations.

To Worship is to give your whole heart and soul and spirit in complete servitude to another (Precisely:True worship is to God Almighty – for He gave you the life to do so for his own pleasure and delight)

There are no half measures in True Worship.

You cannot Worship without HONORING, PRAISING AND GLORIFYING….
    But these three are not themselves WORSHIP. They are PART of that which is Worship.
    Similarly, Song and Dance are only PART of Worshipping.

Do we not HONOR PRAIS AND GLORIFY that which is MANKIND?
    Do we not Sing and Dance to celebrate an occasion?
    Yet who would say we are WORSHIPPING in those instances?

shimmer
    Participant

Hi Istari.

Do you picture Jesus dancing around, singing, and talking strange tongues? Have you ever seen that in scripture? I see Him more as obediant, and praying alot, but thats just how I see Jesus in my mind. And the 'tongues' on the day of pentecost were just languages, not some type of gibberish, it was to spread the word. Not like you see today I don't think. They also went to synagogues. What do they do there? They were monotheist. Jesus was a monotheist wasn't he.

Baker
    Participant

Istari! There are several Scriptures that tell us even by Jesus own words That His father is greater then He is. And Jesus also said to worship His Father and not Him. I honor Jesus because He is our Savior, king of Kings and Lord of Lords. In Churches today all you will hear Songs of Praise To Jesus. They have forgotten Almighty God at most times.
    I could find those Scriptures to proof it, but I am not feeling to well today. Just wanted to say this much. Also a big part of the trinity is Gods Holy Spirit. To them it is a Person, not according to Scriptues at all. Think about it, if the Holy Spirit is a Person then He would be the Father of Jesus, since it was Gods Holy Spirit that inpregnated Maria….There is no trinity….
    Peace Irene

Istari
    Participant

Shimmer,

David danced and sung as part of his worship of his God.
    He danced naked such that his wife told him off but he admonished her back… For she saw his nakednes as sin but God does not look on the flesh…

Moreover, it was to another that I posted that theme – to another who says that their Singing and dancing IS worship.

My post was to dissect the TRINITARIAN quote which itself says Singing and dancing is not Worship.
    The post is from a Trinitarian website – I am asking for others to see where there are errors made –

Can I take it then that as you are mistaking my intentions here and even accusing me of the very thing that I am DISPUTING – that this is also how other mistakenly misread the intentions of others?

If no one else can comment on the fallacy of the quote then i will do it and leave it.

What it shows is that:
    1) No one cares to broach the issue
    2) No one understands what is wrong (Lacking in Wisdom)
    3) what ever…!

shimmer
    Participant

Quote (Istari @ May 03 2011,00:55)
    David danced and sung as part of his worship of his God.
    He danced naked such that his wife told him off but he admonished her back… For she saw his nakednes as sin but God does not look on the flesh…

I knew that, I was just saying how I see Jesus in my mind, that's all.

Moreover, it was to another that I posted that theme – to another who says that their Singing and dancing IS worship.

So?

Istari
    Participant

Shimmer,
    Please see that the point of the thread is to show how Trinitarians need to twist the understanding of the Scriptures in order to try and uphold the fallacy of their claims.

They force the meaning of the word 'God' as to mean what many also force it to mean.

Writing about this seems just to fall on deaf ears.

Mikeboll tried to explain it but got lost in his translation such that it MADD out that there really ate other 'GODS' like the ONE TRUE GOD.

That is: he made the word 'God' into a PERSON instead of retaining it as a TITLE like KING, or Lord.

Once the we actually replace the TITLE 'God' with reference to an ACTUAL PERSON then all else becomes clear.

'Hero' and 'Mighty One' can both be translated as 'God'.
    'He was a Hero' – 'He was [like] a God'
    'He was a Mighty One' – 'He was a God'

Moses was a Mighty One among the Hebrews – has as a God to his brother Aaron.

Worship is to the One True Mighty One who gave us his name as YHVH in Hebrew.
    At no time is Jesus ever called 'YHVH' but he is called 'a Mighty One' but not 'The Mighty One' (YHVH)

Tim Kraft
    Participant

Istari: Any and all heart felt attention and desire, toward knowing, understanding and loving God is a form of worship. The ultimate worship is adhering to his spirit words of truth given through Jesus. If one accepts and believes what God says, over and above what anyone else in the world might say, is the highest worship man can give. Worship is getting to know God, Jesus, the spirit of truth.
    They are ONE. IMO! TK

shimmer
    Participant

Quote (Istari @ May 03 2011,03:46)
    Shimmer,
    Please see that the point of the thread is to show how Trinitarians need to twist the understanding of the Scriptures in order to try and uphold the fallacy of their claims.

They force the meaning of the word 'God' as to mean what many also force it to mean.

Writing about this seems just to fall on deaf ears.

Mikeboll tried to explain it but got lost in his translation such that it MADD out that there really ate other 'GODS' like the ONE TRUE GOD.

That is: he made the word 'God' into a PERSON instead of retaining it as a TITLE like KING, or Lord.

Once the we actually replace the TITLE 'God' with reference to an ACTUAL PERSON then all else becomes clear.

'Hero' and 'Mighty One' can both be translated as 'God'.
    'He was a Hero' – 'He was [like] a God'
    'He was a Mighty One' – 'He was a God'

Moses was a Mighty One among the Hebrews – has as a God to his brother Aaron.

Worship is to the One True Mighty One who gave us his name as YHVH in Hebrew.
    At no time is Jesus ever called 'YHVH' but he is called 'a Mighty One' but not 'The Mighty One' (YHVH)

“Say unto them, I ascend unto my Father, and your Father; and to my God, and your God.

“Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life”

“Think not that I am come to destroy the law, or the prophets: I am not come to destroy, but to fulfil.
    For verily I say unto you, Till heaven and earth pass, one jot or one tittle shall in no wise pass from the law, till all be fulfilled.
    Whosoever therefore shall break one of these least commandments, and shall teach men so, he shall be called the least in the kingdom of heaven:
    but whosoever shall do and teach them, the same shall be called great in the kingdom of heaven.”

“Ye shall walk after the LORD your God, and fear him, and keep his commandments, and obey his voice, and ye shall serve him, and cleave unto him.”

“Then saith Jesus unto him, Get thee hence, Satan: for it is written, Thou shalt worship the Lord thy God, and him only shalt thou serve.

shimmer
    Participant

Istari, you said:

Quote (Istari @ May 03 2011,00:55)

Can I take it then that as you are mistaking my intentions here and even accusing me of the very thing that I am DISPUTING – that this is also how other mistakenly misread the intentions of others?

The topic of the thread is:
    Worship – what is it – who is to be?, Scriptures teaching concerning Worship.

You didn't exactly make yourself clear that this thread was to one particular person about singing and dancing did you?
    I was only giving my opinion on the title of the thread and the quote that you had!

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 1999 - 2024 Heaven Net

Navigation

© 1999 - 2023 - Heaven Net
or

or    

Forgot your details?

or

Create Account