Women pastors / deaconesses

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 20 posts - 41 through 60 (of 75 total)
  • Author
    Cubes
    Participant

Quote (Mercy @ Sep. 29 2006,14:37)
    It seems to me that the main issue is a matter of divine roles established by God. These exist because God knows best. He made us and knows how we work. He knows men have egos that need fed, he knows women have need of being loved and cherished. He establishes order because he is not a God of confusion.

Amen, Mercy.

Being in authority often comes with greater responsibility and service towards others, any way.

• Mat 18:4 Whosoever therefore shall humble himself as this little child, the same is greatest in the kingdom of heaven.
  • Mat 23:11 But he that is greatest among you shall be your servant.
  • An example is this board right here.

Cubes
Participant

The other question now is how Christian gentiles, women and servants are to conduct themselves in an atmosphere of an unbelieving Jew, man or master.

Mercy
Participant

Genesis 3:16
16 To the woman he said,
“I will greatly increase your pains in childbearing;
with pain you will give birth to children.
Your desire will be for your husband,
and he will rule over you.”

In the Lord we are the same but in marriage the order becomes established it would seem. Men should otherwise consider women as sisters.

I Timothy 2:11
11A woman should learn in quietness and full submission. 12I do not permit a woman to teach or to have authority over a man; she must be silent. 13For Adam was formed first, then Eve. 14And Adam was not the one deceived; it was the woman who was deceived and became a sinner.

This seems to tie directly into the order of marriage since it references Adam and Eve. Is this a matter of not taking authority from the husband? Should women never teach a man? Or is it ok if the husband is in agreement?

Some say that this verse implies, frankly, that women are simply more gullable than men. Therefore, women should not teach because they are more easily deceived than men. Personally, from the real world I have met just as many gullable men as I have women so I am not sure this pans out. Perhaps, culturally this was true of the time because of education levels. I would say that from my experience men or more focused and less inclined to be swayed emotionally, but that does not necessarily mean alot since this can make men incredibley stubborn.

Well we know that Aguila and Priscilla both instructed Apollos in understanding the Gospel more clearly. Yet, in this example they did the teaching together and is was not publically within a church body that this teaching accured.

For example I am learning from Debra and Cubes right now so they are teaching me, however, it is not in a congregation and it does not usurp any authority from their husbands. (hypothetical since I don't know if you two are married)

Clearly Pheobe was a deaconess. Was she allowed to teach in congregations? I would think that answer would be no considering all of what Paul has written. However, surely the women did everything else the men did with these positions of authority within the church. Including teaching when not met as a church.

This to me is one of the toughest questions in the bible. However, I would feel that I was not being honest to deny that Paul clearly did not think it correct for women to teach in congregations. His words seem pretty clear. Am I wrong on this?

Cubes
Participant

Hi Mercy,

We must try and determine the difference b/n preaching and teaching.  Women can prophesy and preach.  Preaching or prophesying informs and in my view, embodies teaching.  Does it not?

Gotta run for the time being.  Talk to you later.

Debra
Participant

Hi Mercy

“I do not permit a women to teach or to have authority over a man, but to be in silence.”

This dosn't prove to me that women should not teach. Pauls other references to women do not suggest this.
As we know Paul welcomed women as co-workers with him in the Gospel,Paul in saying keep silent was not saying women should shut up, but rather to stop resisting intruction, and to encourage a quiet and submissive attitude conducive to learning God's truth.
I have been in a synogogue and I was shocked how women just chatted and called out to each other, I couldn't believe the disrespect.
I believe the Ephesian women Paul was refering to were both unlearned and characterized by a domineering attitude.
If a women can't teach a man, what if she has an unbelieving husband does this mean because she is a women she cannot teach her husband the Gospel?

kenrch
Participant

Quote (Debra @ Sep. 29 2006,22:50)
Hi Mercy

“I do not permit a women to teach or to have authority over a man, but to be in silence.”

This dosn't prove to me that women should not teach.  Pauls other references to women do not suggest this.
As we know Paul welcomed women as co-workers with him in the Gospel,Paul in saying keep silent was not saying women should shut up, but rather to stop resisting intruction, and to encourage a quiet and submissive attitude conducive to learning God's truth.
I have been in a synogogue  and I was shocked how women just chatted and called out to each other, I couldn't believe the disrespect.
I believe the Ephesian women Paul was refering to were both unlearned and characterized by a domineering attitude.
If a women can't teach a man, what if she has an unbelieving husband does this mean because she is a women she cannot teach her husband the Gospel?

Very good points!
If everyone were led by the Spirit why would any man have to instruct a woman to be quiet. The woman should know that the man has the authority as scripture says.
I did not always think this way but I believe a woman can do anything but shepherd a flock.

Mercy
Participant

Hi Mercy

This dosn't prove to me that women should not teach.  Pauls other references to women do not suggest this.
I have been in a synogogue  and I was shocked how women just chatted and called out to each other, I couldn't believe the disrespect.

I think the teaching here is specific to the congregation and not on an individual level. Like Priscilla instructing Apollos.

However, here is an example of dealing with the unbelieving husband. I do not think this limits teaching him the gospel as this is done in private. However, do to the selfish ego of men, the following formula may indeed be the most effective witness.

I Peter 3:1
1Wives, in the same way be submissive to your husbands so that, if any of them do not believe the word, they may be won over without words by the behavior

Debra
Participant

Quote (kenrch @ Sep. 29 2006,22:56)

Hi Mercy

This dosn't prove to me that women should not teach. Pauls other references to women do not suggest this.
I have been in a synogogue and I was shocked how women just chatted and called out to each other, I couldn't believe the disrespect.

Very good points!
If everyone were led by the Spirit why would any man have to instruct a woman to be quiet. The woman should know that the man has the authority as scripture says.
I did not always think this way but I believe a woman can do anything but shepherd a flock.

Hi Kenrch,
What if the flock are all women?

kenrch
Participant

Quote (Debra @ Sep. 29 2006,23:45)

Hi Mercy

Very good points!
If everyone were led by the Spirit why would any man have to instruct a woman to be quiet.  The woman should know that the man has the authority as scripture says.

Hi Kenrch,

What if they are? Do you think that because the flock were all women we should just overlook scripture. Or perhaps change scripture.

Debra
Participant

Quote (kenrch @ Sep. 30 2006,00:50)

Hi Mercy

Very good points!

Hi Kenrch,

What if they are? Do you think that because the flock were all women we should just overlook scripture. Or perhaps change scripture.

Hi Kenrch
No I do not suggest we change scripture, I suggest we do as we're doing, looking into scripture for our answers .
so..

What do we do ? Are we to wait on a man,(as my husband said) to come to the group.Or teach according to His Word ourselves.
How do saved women, tell unsaved women the Good News without teaching it.
Collins Australian English Dictionary says…..
Teach 1. To show how to do something; instruct. 2. To give lessons ( in a subject) to give knowledge, insight.

Am I and my sisters in Christ, doing the wrong thing?

Would it make a differance if we gave the group a name like Coffee Club,or Womens group?

And dose it make a differance if we meet outside the Church, maybe in private homes, or the local cafe?

What are your views on this please, as I don't want to be disobedient I would appreciate others views on this as well.

Do you think all those women evangelists are being disobedient to God's Word by doing what they're doing?

I personally don't follow any women evangelists teaching, nor mans for that matter.

But people do get saved.

Forgive my lack of knowledge as to where scriptures are in the Bible, or what the exact wording is, but dosn't it say somewhere about a man preaching in Jesus Name and the disiples thought it wrong because this man wasn't one of them?
What was it Jesus said to them?

seekingtruth
Participant

Quote (Debra @ Sep. 29 2006,18:45)

Hi Mercy

Very good points!
If everyone were led by the Spirit why would any man have to instruct a woman to be quiet.  The woman should know that the man has the authority as scripture says.

Hi Kenrch,

I have no problem and see no conflict with a woman teaching or pastoring women. When it says “I do not permit a women to teach or to have authority over a man,” I believe it means either. In other words he did not allow women to teach men.

I often wonder as Paul stated, he “did not allow”, not, God does not allow. Was he just giving his position on the topic based on the culture of the day? I want to stand firm on scripture but I have gotten some very good teaching from women so I am somewhat confused on what God's position is.

I can't just change the scripture because I don't like it, but somehow it doesn't seem right. But until some other interpretation brings further clarification I have to stand by my opening statement.

seekingtruth
Participant

Quote (Debra @ Sep. 29 2006,22:01)

Hi Mercy

Very good points!

Hi Kenrch,

What if they are?  Do you think that because the flock were all women we should just overlook scripture.  Or perhaps change scripture.

Hi Kenrch
No I do not suggest we change scripture, I suggest we do as we're doing, looking into scripture for our answers .
so..

What do we do ? Are we to wait on a man,(as my husband said) to come to the group.Or teach according to His Word ourselves.
Teach 1. To show how to do something; instruct. 2. To give lessons ( in a subject) to give knowledge, insight.

Would it make a differance if we gave the group a name like Coffee Club,or Womens group?

And dose it make a differance if we meet outside the Church, maybe in private homes, or the local cafe?

What are your views on this please, as I don't want to be disobedient I would appreciate others views on this as well.

Do you think all those women evangelists are being disobedient to God's Word by doing what they're doing?

I personally don't follow any women evangelists teaching, nor mans for that matter.

But people do get saved.

Forgive my lack of knowledge as to where scriptures are in the Bible, or what the exact wording is, but dosn't it say somewhere about a man preaching in Jesus Name and the disiples thought it wrong because this man wasn't one of them?

Mark 9 38″Teacher,” said John, “we saw a man driving out demons in your name and we told him to stop, because he was not one of us.”
39″Do not stop him,” Jesus said. “No one who does a miracle in my name can in the next moment say anything bad about me, 40for whoever is not against us is for us. 41I tell you the truth, anyone who gives you a cup of water in my name because you belong to Christ will certainly not lose his reward.

Debra
Participant

Quote (seekingtruth @ Sep. 30 2006,03:20)

Quote (Debra @ Sep. 29 2006,22:01)

Hi Mercy

Very good points!

Hi Kenrch,

Hi Kenrch
so..

But people do get saved.

Mark 9 38″Teacher,” said John, “we saw a man driving out demons in your name and we told him to stop, because he was not one of us.”
39″Do not stop him,” Jesus said. “No one who does a miracle in my name can in the next moment say anything bad about me, 40for whoever is not against us is for us. 41I tell you the truth, anyone who gives you a cup of water in my name because you belong to Christ will certainly not lose his reward.

.Thankyou Seekingtruth.
I don't know why I thought this scripture relevant to this topic.

Proclaimer
Participant

This subject is one I haven't really looked into but would like to know more about.

I know that pastors and apostles are not necessarily universal in their ministries, but they can be relative.

E.g., a 12 year old may be an elder to a 10 year old, but not to an adult. So an elder is an elder to some, not all. This is my thinking and I do not speak these words as if they are commands from the Lord, but I speculate.

Paul said the following in :1 Corinthians 9:2
Even though I may not be an apostle to others, surely I am to you! For you are the seal of my apostleship in the Lord.

Now when paul said the following in 1 Timothy 2:11-14…
11 A woman should learn in quietness and full submission.
12 I do not permit a woman to teach or to have authority over a man; she must be silent.
13 For Adam was formed first, then Eve.
14 And Adam was not the one deceived; it was the woman who was deceived and became a sinner.

… his reason for saying this is because

1) The man was formed first
2) The woman was deceived

Does that mean that the man wasn't deceived? If so, then he sinned fully knowing what he was doing and that seems to be worse. If one is deceived, they have an excuse. It may not be a good excuse, but deception is an excuse nevertheless.

But back to the subject. What is Paul really saying?

That woman have a propensity to being deceived? If so, then a woman teaching over a man runs the risk of an Eve type deception leading the man to sin with knowledge of his actions?

I am speculating here. What is Paul saying? Why does he give 2 reasons why woman cannot teach over men. What are the implications of these reasons? Was it Paul talking or was it the Lord? Was he speaking a solution to a culture, or was he laying down a mandate?

Any insight into this is good. Scriptural evidence of good woman teachers would help too. I apologise for not reading this discussion yet (due to time), but I hope to. Maybe the answers are already posted?

Debra
Participant

Hi t8,
He's first reason..The man was formed first,
would that be establishing God's order…man is the head of women? ” like these are the facts.”
then
He's second reason…
The women was deceived…

The behaviour of some of the women in the church at the time must have been a real headache for Paul, I believe he's speaking a solution to the problem.
My view only…

How could Adam not have known what he was doing?
He's wife had just taken what God had told them not to, then she offers it to him, and he eats it .
Why didn't he tell her to repent and ask forgivness? Instead he fell into sin as well.
Maybe she didn't tell him where she got it from, then he would be deceived.

Like Eve when we sin we will need ultimately to except responsibility for our actions. Yes Eve complained that the serpent deceived her. But in the end she also admitted, “and I ate”.
So I don't think Paul was saying women can't teach because of the fall and I don't think he had a problem with women ,as some might say.This verse tells me that..
Galations 3;26-28.
For you are all sons of God through faith in Christ Jesus. For as many of you as were bapsized into Christ have put on Christ.
There is neither Jew nor Greek, there is neither slave nor free, there is neither male nor female, for you are all one in Christ Jesus.
.We are to see each other as equals now: as one in Christ Jesus.

kenrch
Participant

Quote (Debra @ Sep. 30 2006,03:01)

Hi Mercy

Very good points!

Hi Kenrch,

What if they are?  Do you think that because the flock were all women we should just overlook scripture.  Or perhaps change scripture.

Hi Kenrch
so..

But people do get saved.

To share Jesus is not pastering a flock. If that were not allowed then that would hinder the Gospel.

Well we are told to be led by the Holy Spirit. We are also told to test the spirits. If what the spirit teaches you is contrary to His word then obviously the wrong spirit is leading you.

I like these test you are giving but I'm not sure of your intention as you seem to know the word it's up to each individual if they wish to follow the Word and Spirit.

Debra
Participant

Hi Kenrch
I agree, to share Jesus is not pastoring a flock, all of us are called to do that, not all are called to be a shepherd, and it's not a position I would want, I wouldn't meet the requirements according to God's Word on the subject anyway.
What would be a correct word for a women teaching a group of women, the Gospel?

Sorry, I'm not sure what you mean by the last line on your post…
I like these tests you are giving….
Can you explain please.

Cubes
Participant

Thank God, Paul is not saying that women cannot teach based on lack of intelligence, thus this is not a question of inability. In fact, he seems to realize full well that women are capable but is asking them to DEFER and yield to the men, bearing in mind who was here first, and the fact that women are more susceptible to deception.

Teaching, to me, involves more than instruction thru words. It includes MODELING of behavior or skill. Thus, if a godly woman thru conduct only (impossible!), were to model godliness in her home leading towards her husband's conversion to Christ, has she not taught him a better way (even though this is the work of God by his holy spirit)?

Thus I am inclined to speculate that women are often teaching/modeling/speaking instructively, but it is the position of authority of a woman Lording over a man that Paul speaks of. To be a recognized teacher appears to be also tied into a position of authority and other offices.

For the most part, the examples set forth in the bible seems to show that at least in congretional settings, the men have that position of authority. Deborah was a Judge of Israel. What did that entail? What were the roles of the various prophetess of the Lord, including Anna of the 2nd Covenant? How did the CONDUCT of these godly women differ from that of Jezebel?

Why did Miriam get leprosy and not Aaron? I've heard it said that it was because Aaron had a priestly mantel. But Miriam also had the mantel of a prophetess … different gifts, one spirit.

Questions, questions, you all. But as long as we are seeking from unselfish motives, the Lord shall answer us according to his faithfulness.

Cubes
Participant

1 Corinthians 12:27 Now you are the body of Christ, and each one of you is a part of it. 28 And in the church GOD HAS APPOINTED FIRST OF ALL apostles, second prophets, third teachers, then workers of miracles, also those having gifts of healing, those able to help others, those with gifts of administration, and those speaking in different kinds of tongues. 29 Are all apostles? Are all prophets? Are all teachers? Do all work miracles? 30 Do all have gifts of healing? Do all speak in tongues*? Do all interpret? 31 But eagerly desire* the greater gifts.

And now I will show you the most excellent way.

It is evident that all the faithful are part of the body of Christ… but God has appointed different people within that body to different tasks for the edification of all, giving them the necessary gifts I am sure.

Cubes
Participant

Some interesting examples:

• 1Ti 6:3 If any MAN teach otherwise, and consent not to wholesome words, [even] the words of our Lord Jesus Christ, and to the doctrine which is according to godliness;
  • 2Ti 2:2 And the things that thou hast heard of me among many witnesses, the same commit thou to faithful MEN, who shall be able to teach others also.
  • Tts 2:3   The AGED WOMEN likewise, that [they be] in behaviour as becometh holiness, not false accusers, not given to much wine, TEACHERS of good things;  
    Tts 2:4   That they may TEACH THE YOUNG WOMEN to be sober, to love their husbands, to love their children,  
  • Rev 2:20 Notwithstanding I have a few things against thee, because thou sufferest that woman Jezebel, which calleth herself a prophetess, to teach and to seduce my servants to commit fornication, and to eat things sacrificed unto idols.
  • Jer 9:20  Yet hear the word of the LORD, O YE WOMEN, and let your ear receive the word of his mouth, and TEACH YOUR DAUGHTERS wailing, and every one her neighbour lamentation.
  • Proverbs – Chapter 31

Pro 31:1 ¶ The words of king Lemuel, the prophecy that HIS MOTHER TAUGHT HIM.

• Viewing 20 posts - 41 through 60 (of 75 total)
    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 1999 - 2024 Heaven Net

Navigation

© 1999 - 2023 - Heaven Net
    or

or    

Forgot your details?

or

Create Account