Why people believe strange things

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 20 posts - 21 through 40 (of 96 total)
  • Author
    kenrch
    Participant

Quote (Stu @ Nov. 10 2007,09:57)

Quote (kenrch @ Nov. 10 2007,04:18)

Quote (Stu @ Nov. 09 2007,18:52)
    Hi Kenrch

++”It wasn't until I went to an Assembly of God church when everything was explained to me. Why didn't Pete know? He was Baptist.

Those evil baptist splitters! They wouldn't know the holy spirit if it bit them on the backside! Yes, we are very susceptible to the power of suggestion by others. Sadly those others are often ignorant (or self-interested) people and in my experience there are many like that who preach in churches.

++”Religion in one way or another, sooner or latter, to those who seek the truth, LIES!!! The result of religion is STU, TOW.

Would you care to explain yorself, Kenrch? How am I the result of religion?

Stuart

Stu how would you know NOT to believe. :laugh:

Baptist are just one of the harlot's daughters :)

Anyone who can think can see the “REV” rolling down the street in his fine automobile and living in his 23 room house.

But the daughters have a lie wrapped in truth. You have to dig a bit to see the lie, sadly most don't especially those who were raised in that particular denomination (daughter).

So religion chases off people who do not want to believe in some one who is in charge. SEE? :)

HEY! I'm not suppose to be talking to you! :laugh:

Satan joined the church Stu. Then he chased you off to his church. The one that you believe you are in charge of.
    :laugh:

Hmmm. I feel like there is a whole chapter missing from my dictionary here.

I don't remember being chased off by satan. My school friend Jonathan once chased me around the paddock at primary school. Do you think he is satan?

I do like the “daughters wrapped a lie in truth” bit. To me christianity is a truth (the golden rule) wrapped in lies.

Stuart

Well Stu according to “Christianity” you have it backwards! :laugh:

I “think” this is a Christian site ??? So why are you here….to straighten us out? :laugh:

IM4Truth
    Participant

Ken I think He is here to test us. That is all I am going to say tho.

Peace and Love Mrs. :D :D :D

Stu
    Participant

Quote (acertainchap @ Nov. 14 2007,01:41)
    “'Conclusion

Why should anyone trust in Christianity over Islam, Buddhism, Mormonism, or anything else?  It is because there are absolute truths, because only in Christianity is there accurate fulfilled prophecies of a coming Messiah.  Only in Christianity do we have the extremely accurate transmission of the eyewitness documents (gospels) so we can trust what was originally written.  Only in Christianity do we have the person of Christ who claimed to be God, performed many miracles to prove His claim of divinity, who died and rose from the dead, and who said that He alone was the way the truth and the life (John 14:6).  All this adds to the legitimacy and credibility of Christianity above all other religions — all based on the person of Jesus.  If follows that if it is all true about what Jesus said and did, then all other religions are false because Jesus said that He alone was the way, the truth, and the life and that no one comes to the Father except through Him (John 14:6).  It could not be that Jesus is the only way and truth and other religions also be the truth.

Either Jesus is true and all other religions are false or other religions are true and Jesus is false.  There are no other options.  I choose to follow the risen Lord Jesus. '”

I found this and thought that it would be of particular interest.
    :)

Please don't tell me you wrote this yourself. I hope you downloaded it from an apologist website. It does you no favours.

There are no eyewitness accounts of Jesus.

Biblical prophecies are a joke in comparison to scientific prophecy. Many writers have worked hard to show how prophecies have been fulfilled, but just like astrology and psychic powers, you can explain the supposed fulfillment by the generality of the predictions and the gulibility of the human mind.

What Jesus is said to have claimed, and what you choose to do are not convincing arguments, they are special pleading.

Stuart

Stu
    Participant

Quote (Stu @ Nov. 08 2007,20:57)
    I have clearly stated elsewhere here that I have no intention of trying to convert anyone.  To what would I be converting them?  I resent the feeble attempts that the devout make to convert me.  

Hi Kenrch

The above is what I wrote to acertainchap on the previous page.

Stuart

IM4Truth
    Participant

Watch out for Anti-Christ, ask yourself what does the Bible teach you who He is? Does it not say that woever beliefs that Jesus did not come in the flesh is Anti-Christ? So why would you want to have a conversation with Anti-Christ?
    Peace and Love Mrs.

acertainchap
    Participant

I think that it's good to argue Christianity and evolution. Even though you know our beliefs, Stu, I politely ask that you keep your thoughts and arguements about evolution and science etc. exclusively in this forum.

Peace Stu. :)

acertainchap
    Participant

Quote (Stu @ Nov. 14 2007,20:15)

Quote (acertainchap @ Nov. 14 2007,01:41)
    “'Conclusion

Why should anyone trust in Christianity over Islam, Buddhism, Mormonism, or anything else?  It is because there are absolute truths, because only in Christianity is there accurate fulfilled prophecies of a coming Messiah.  Only in Christianity do we have the extremely accurate transmission of the eyewitness documents (gospels) so we can trust what was originally written.  Only in Christianity do we have the person of Christ who claimed to be God, performed many miracles to prove His claim of divinity, who died and rose from the dead, and who said that He alone was the way the truth and the life (John 14:6).  All this adds to the legitimacy and credibility of Christianity above all other religions — all based on the person of Jesus.  If follows that if it is all true about what Jesus said and did, then all other religions are false because Jesus said that He alone was the way, the truth, and the life and that no one comes to the Father except through Him (John 14:6).  It could not be that Jesus is the only way and truth and other religions also be the truth.

Either Jesus is true and all other religions are false or other religions are true and Jesus is false.  There are no other options.  I choose to follow the risen Lord Jesus. '”

I found this and thought that it would be of particular interest.
    :)

Please don't tell me you wrote this yourself.  I hope you downloaded it from an apologist website.  It does you no favours.

There are no eyewitness accounts of Jesus.

Biblical prophecies are a joke in comparison to scientific prophecy.  Many writers have worked hard to show how prophecies have been fulfilled, but just like astrology and psychic powers, you can explain the supposed fulfillment by the generality of the predictions and the gulibility of the human mind.

What Jesus is said to have claimed, and what you choose to do are not convincing arguments, they are special pleading.

Stuart

No I didn't write this myself as I put it in quotes. This paragraph I found is an interesting concept, nonetheless.

:) Peace Stu.

journey
    Participant

Hi stu!

which one came first, egg or chicken?

my daughter answered 2 eggs first then out of the 2 eggs came the 2 chicken and produceore…

then i asked her, where did the 2 eggs come from? she answered from GOD! :D

peace and love

journey

journey
    Participant

hi!

sorry bout my previous post, it should read…and produced more…
    :(

journey
    Participant

hi again stu!

i just wan to know from your view point, what is the purpose of life? if you may. thank you.

journey

Proclaimer
    Participant

Quote (journey @ Nov. 15 2007,02:23)
    Hi stu!

which one came first, egg or chicken?

my daughter answered 2 eggs first then out of the 2 eggs came the 2 chicken and produceore…

then i asked her, where did the 2 eggs come from? she answered from GOD! :D

peace and love

journey

God could have created the chicken/s first, then they laid eggs.
    That way there was a chicken around to keep the egg warm and feed the chicks etc.

Adam was created a man, and Eve a woman, so that might be a clue.

Just my 1/2 cent worth.

Good post all the same journey.
    Kids being innocent often utter words that adults cannot.

:D

charity
    Participant

:) Maybe the chicken first, that everything God made has seed, eggs within.
    An egg has to have a mother, a further creation
    Adam didn't have a mother? One off ?

hee hee

charity
    Participant

???  When God brought all the animals into Adam, did he really roll in a chicken egg for him to sit on?

Stu
    Participant

Quote (acertainchap @ Nov. 15 2007,01:46)
    I think that it's good to argue Christianity and evolution. Even though you know our beliefs, Stu, I politely ask that you keep your thoughts and arguements about evolution and science etc. exclusively in this forum.

Peace Stu. :)

I'm sure any moderator would agree that in the main we should keep discussions relevant to the thread. I'm afraid I can't agree with the “etc” part of your request. That could cover everything else!

Stuart

Stu
    Participant

Hi Journey

which one came first, egg or chicken? my daughter answered 2 eggs first then out of the 2 eggs came the 2 chicken and and produced more… then i asked her, where did the 2 eggs come from? she answered from GOD!

Did you explain to her that she has not actually said where the eggs came from?

My serious answer is that there were eggs long before there were chickens. Maybe the next question is about whether dinosaurs or eggs came first. You can carry on this regressing line of questioning back a long way in natural history. Eventually you end up with a single cell undergoing binary fission.

i just wan to know from your view point, what is the purpose of life? if you may. thank you.

Are you curious about what I have made the purpose of my life, or what purpose human life has as a whole?

The first question has an answer of a kind. The second I think is similar to the question “Why is a rock?”, and is identical to the question “Why is an orangutan?”.

I think I can tell you why a rock is. Can you tell me why an orangutan is?

Stuart

charity
    Participant

:D yes thinking about it more, it would be too much of God to ask a man to sit and  hatch an egg?

TimothyVI
    Participant

I don't know which came first, the chicken or the egg.
    But the chicken had to come before the Kentucky Colonel.

Sorry,:p
    Tim

Towshab
    Participant

Quote (Stu @ Nov. 15 2007,04:48)
    I think I can tell you why a rock is. Can you tell me why an orangutan is?

Stuart

The orangutan is needed to toss the rock? :laugh:

Morningstar
    Participant

Quote (Stu @ Nov. 15 2007,21:48)
    Hi Journey

which one came first, egg or chicken?   my daughter answered 2 eggs first then out of the 2 eggs came the 2 chicken and and produced more…  then i asked her, where did the 2 eggs come from? she answered from GOD!

Did you explain to her that she has not actually said where the eggs came from?

My serious answer is that there were eggs long before there were chickens.  Maybe the next question is about whether dinosaurs or eggs came first.  You can carry on this regressing line of questioning back a long way in natural history.  Eventually you end up with a single cell undergoing binary fission.

i just wan to know from your view point, what is the purpose of life?  if you may.  thank you.

Are you curious about what I have made the purpose of my life, or what purpose human life has as a whole?

The first question has an answer of a kind.   The second I think is similar to the question “Why is a rock?”, and is identical to the question “Why is an orangutan?”.

I think I can tell you why a rock is.  Can you tell me why an orangutan is?

Stuart

good point Stu.

Truly without God (higher power a true source of somekind) then there really is not “meaning of life”.

The only meaning life would have is what each one of us decides to give it.

In all honesty without some purpose we really are alone here just trying to experience our “one pass” through life in the most pleasent way we can.

Ethics and morality are purely evolved emotions that have helped us to continue to procreate and thus increase our survival odds.

With this in view, if there really was no meaning to life. Then I could honestly rape, murderer and steal all I wanted to.

The only consequences to these things would be if I got caught or if I suffered from guilt caused by evolved emotions.

There would be no difference between a cat torturing a poor cricket and a pedophile having his way with a child.

I have more sound reasons in believing in God than simply a moral aversion to the above.

However, even if I was wrong, I would rather be an animal that dreams he has a higher purpose than an animal that has no purpose.

journey
    Participant

i agree, it must be the chicken first before the egg otherwise without a protector and a provider the egg couldn't hatched nor could it reach its “chickenhood”:D

Viewing 20 posts - 21 through 40 (of 96 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 1999 - 2024 Heaven Net

Navigation

© 1999 - 2023 - Heaven Net
or

or    

Forgot your details?

or

Create Account