Why do we dream?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 22 total)
  • Author
    Proclaimer
    Participant

Why do we dream?
    ———————-
    Of course there are probably many reasons why we dream. Some say it is to file away our memories others say they represent our unconscious desires, thoughts, and motivations. Whatever the reason, we know that sleep and dreams are important and the fact that we spend around one-third of our life sleeping shows that it probably is very important.

Given that, I would like to add another reason why I think we dream. I believe that our minds are like computers. because they associate certain files with certain programs. If you click on a JPG it might open up Photoshop and if you click on an html file it will likely open up an internet browser. The computer does this so that the file can be expressed and processed correctly. Like computers, our minds also associate memories into visions so that the context of the thought can be expressed, understood, and even applied to other thoughts. Certain objects, people, or experiences can invoke fear, love, respect because our minds associate thoughts and experiences with certain emotions and other thoughts to provide a better understanding of our reality. This is how we make sense of all the information we are bombarded with each day.

The other night I awoke from my sleep and caught the tail end of a dream where I clearly saw a thought in my memory become a picture or vision in my mind. It was as if the thought was passed into a processor of some kind and the output was a vision or dream. In light of that. I would like to propose that one function of dreams is to associate thoughts into vision or images to be understood by our minds which allows our full range of sensors to categorise and understand better in what context our thoughts should sit. Further, the fact that dreams are often stories that make sense just supports the idea that our dreams are associating thoughts and experiences with related thoughts and experiences to create a logical context and sense of understanding and meaning of these thoughts in a greater context.

All this is important because it allows us to take all the data, ideas, feelings, and emotions and put them into a context that we can understand rather than each being a stand alone experience that wouldn’t be that useful by themselves.

This also explains why many people have invented or solved things in their dreams because their thoughts, ideas, frustrations, desires, are all being placed into a greater context and vision to give the mind understanding of the world around us and what it all means. This is why dreams are sometimes the way that breakthroughs and solutions come. I know myself as a Web designer that I have at times solved difficult problems that I am faced with by simply dreaming the solution as I am able to visualise the problem and see it in a context that shows the solution.

Of course if we believe in God, we know that God can speak to us in dreams. That is because God can speak to us in any situation and by speaking to us in dreams, God is putting things not only into a context that we can understand, but into God’s greater context so we can understand his will. God directs the righteous and he leads us to green pastures. I believe that God speaks to us in dreams in ways that we do not comprehend in our conscious minds, but the impact is played out in many things we do each day and the choices we make.

I know from some people and from my own experience that God often speaks to us in dreams and at the time we understand it perfectly, only to forget most of it. But I think that we haven’t really forgotten it at all. Rather the vision sits within the very fabric of how we perceive reality and helps us to be godly and make sound decisions.

terraricca
    Participant

I have a question ;

how many different kind of dreams are their ???

2besee
    Participant

Hi T8,
    I had dreams recently, three in a row, approximately two months apart. Each one happened eight weeks after each dream.  With the last dream, I dreamt of running and explosions. When things started exploding, one after another, (marathon bombings, Texas explosion, train explosions, etc) I felt very unsettled.. I can't really explain how it felt.  

I very briefly wrote the dreams here: but said much more in private. I learned not to say anything on an internet forum.
    https://heavennet.net/cgi-bin….;t=4485
    https://heavennet.net/cgi-bin….5;st=20

2besee
    Participant

One thing I can say though is that with these types of dreams, some things are made clearer closer to the event. Parts of the dream which were not clearly remembered are remembered closer to it happening, if that makes sense. Then, after it happens is when you see even more of what you could not understand.

terraricca
    Participant

Quote (2besee @ June 11 2013,16:07)
    One thing I can say though is that with these types of dreams, some things are made clearer closer to the event. Parts of the dream which were not clearly remembered are remembered closer to it happening, if that makes sense. Then, after it happens is when you see even more of what you could not understand.

some dreams make you feel good,
    some dreams you do not remember ,

some dreams are in an allegorical way ,could only be understood after the events are past.

not all dreams are from God

2besee
    Participant

T,
    Do you know Déjà vu (the feeling that you have been somewhere before) I think that is to do with dreams.

seekingtruth
    Participant

Quote (2besee @ June 22 2013,21:38)
    T,
    Do you know Déjà vu (the feeling that you have been somewhere before) I think that is to do with dreams.

Didn't you just say that? Or did I dream it.

2besee
    Participant

Seeking,
    I think deja vu is dreams that we have had of something happening before it happens, and then when it happens, we experience it as “deja vu” without realizing that it was a past dream, and it shows us: that God knows everything that happens before it happens (has foreknowledge) and this is quite amazing the more that you think about it.

terraricca
    Participant

Quote (2besee @ June 22 2013,19:38)
    T,

2bee

this I do not believe ,because we can have seen things in pictures in movies on TV shows in books,and what not ,so deja vue is the impression that it ad been seen before or be their before ,or so it was imprinted in our memory and the connection came as an review of it ,

terraricca
    Participant

I had dreams that have told me the near future of some event that if they did not had happen would have totally devastate me ,so they prepared me to cope with it even it was very difficult to do,

2besee
    Participant

Quote (terraricca @ June 23 2013,16:26)
    I had dreams that have told me the near future of some event that if they did not had happen would have totally devastate me ,so they prepared me to cope with it even it was very difficult to do,

My mother too.

terraricca
    Participant

:)

Jodi Lee
    Participant

Quote (2besee @ June 23 2013,00:38)
    T,

Yes!  I would have to agree with this, I think deja vu must come from dreams. I also believe that sometimes people's beliefs as to their past can be confused with things that happened in their dreams. That is kind of a problem when it comes to the truth!….weird!

Jodi Lee
    Participant

Another thing that is weird is when you have dreams that you become consciously aware of and your mind starts to manipulate them so they have the outcome you desire.

The worst night of sleep is when you have a dream that goes on and on with a problem you cannot solve, and you are trying so hard to solve it.  You wake up to realize the problem is stupid, it makes no logical sense and you are relieved that you don't actually have to solve it. However, when you fall back asleep you go right back to the stupid dream, but your conscience draws you into being half awake and half asleep arguing with your mind that there is no need to solve this problem!! Your struggle then becomes not in solving the problem but convincing yourself that it is completely unnecessary to solve the problem!!

2besee
    Participant

Jodi,

Through dreams and experiences of deja vu, I have come to feel that God knows everything, including the future, and it explains a lot in scripture also!

terraricca
    Participant

Quote (2besee @ June 26 2013,12:58)
    Jodi,

Through dreams and experiences of deja vu, I have come to feel that God knows everything, including the future, and it explains a lot in scripture also!

are dream only reserved to good people ,??? and so wicked people can not dream ???

or are dream part of being human or mammals family ,it says dogs also dream ???

some of the dream to some or certain people come from God but not all dreams comes from God ;

NU 12:6 He said,
    “Hear now My words:
    If there is a prophet among you,
    I, the LORD, shall make Myself known to him in a vision.
    I shall speak with him in a dream.

DT 13:1 “ If a prophet or a dreamer of dreams arises among you and gives you a sign or a wonder,
    DT 13:3 you shall not listen to the words of that prophet or that dreamer of dreams; for the LORD your God is testing you to find out if you love the LORD your God with all your heart and with all your soul.

so what you guys think ???

2besee
    Participant

Terraricca,

“‘And in the last days it shall be, God declares, that I will pour out my Spirit on all flesh, and your sons and your daughters shall prophesy, and your young men shall see visions, and your old men shall dream dreams”.

2besee
    Participant

Amos 3:7,

“For the Lord God does nothing without revealing his secret to his servants the prophets”.

2besee
    Participant

Job 33,

12 “Behold, in this you are not right. I will answer you, for God is greater than man.
    13 Why do you contend against him, saying, ‘He will answer none of man’s a words’?

14 For God speaks in one way, and in two, though man does not perceive it.
    15 In a dream, in a vision of the night, when deep sleep falls on men, while they slumber on their beds,
    16 then he opens the ears of men and terrifies them with warnings,
    17 that he may turn man aside from his deed and conceal pride from a man;    
     18 he keeps back his soul from the pit, his life from perishing by the sword.

terraricca
    Participant

Quote (2besee @ June 27 2013,04:20)
    Terraricca,

“‘And in the last days it shall be, God declares, that I will pour out my Spirit on all flesh, and your sons and your daughters shall prophesy, and your young men shall see visions, and your old men shall dream dreams”.

2bee

Ac 2:33 Exalted to the right hand of God, he has received from the Father the promised Holy Spirit and has poured out what you NOW SEE AND HEAR

THOSE WHERE THE DAYS ,NOT TODAY :D

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 22 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 1999 - 2024 Heaven Net

Navigation

© 1999 - 2023 - Heaven Net
or

or    

Forgot your details?

or

Create Account