Who is this Jesus?

Viewing 20 posts - 2,001 through 2,020 (of 4,516 total)
  • Author
    NickHassan
    Participant

Hi CA,
    What value are the rituals of men in changing hearts?
    It is the Spirit that sanctifies not man's earthly validations

Quote (yahmai @ Sep. 14 2009,17:28)
    why do we call a hebrew a greek name

welcome, yahmai

i don't know. would you care to give cause?

kol tuv

Quote (princess of the king @ Sep. 15 2009,13:14)

Quote (yahmai @ Sep. 14 2009,17:28)
    why do we call a hebrew a greek name

welcome, yahmai

i don't know. would you care to give cause?

kol tuv

Why, when John moves to Mexico does his name become “Juan”? Mary “Maria”? Or Richard “Ricardo”?

Go read Acts 2. Go read the whole book. The gospel has been given to the Gentiles.

NickHassan
    Participant

Hi CA,
    Then why do you not preach it?
    Catholic or JW or mormon traditions are not much chop.

Cato
    Participant

“A truly religious man should think that other religions also are paths leading to the truth. We should always maintain an attitude of respect towards other religions.” Ramakrishna

KangarooJack
    Participant

Quote (Cato @ Sep. 18 2009,02:39)
    “A truly religious man should think that other religions also are paths leading to the truth. We should always maintain an attitude of respect towards other religions.” Ramakrishna

By your logic Jesus Christ was not a religious man. For he said that He was the way to the Father.

thinker

Cato
    Participant

Jesus, according to most accounts, showed disrespect to those of his own religion who practiced what apparently was hypocrisy in his eyes and not religion.  Other religions are not mentioned, as many, including Christianity itself came later.  To say you are the way and the truth is not the same as saying that others are therefore false or wrong.  I don't know of any commentaries left by Jesus that concerned non Jewish religious practitioners or their beliefs.  As an aside, Jesus is accorded great respect in Islam and in many circles of Hinduism (to again quote Ramkrishna, “It is one and the same Avatâra that, having plunged into the ocean of life, rises up in one place and is known as Krishna, and diving again rises in another place and is known as Christ”).  Respect does not imply agreement, it is rather an acknowledgement of regard or esteem. I don't agree with Mormonism but I have great respect for many practitioners thereof, the same with friends of mine who follow Islam, I don't agree with their beliefs, but I respect them for being honest seekers trying to please what they think is God's will.

Jess is my lord and savior :D

oops Jesus

kerwin
    Participant

Cato wrote:

To say you are the way and the truth is not the same as saying that others are therefore false or wrong

That statement makes you sound ignorant of the true way because if you knew the true way then you would know what Jesus meant.  He meant the only way to become truly righteous as God is righteous is through believing Jesus is the Anointed One and so obeying all his teachings.  The result of obtaining that righteousness is salvation.

I assure you if a teaching does not teach you how to become righteous as God is righteous then it is not from God because that is what he calls his people to do.

Proclaimer
    Participant

Truth is absolute and like light it shines in the darkness. You cannot have 2 truths that contradict. Either it is light or it is darkness. There are not 2 or 3 different lights. There is one light. Likewise there is one faith and one God who is in all.

Cato
    Participant

Quote (kerwin @ Sep. 18 2009,16:35)
    Cato wrote:

To say you are the way and the truth is not the same as saying that others are therefore false or wrong

That statement makes you sound ignorant of the true way because if you knew the true way then you would know what Jesus meant.  He meant the only way to become truly righteous as God is righteous is through believing Jesus is the Anointed One and so obeying all his teachings.  The result of obtaining that righteousness is salvation.

I assure you if a teaching does not teach you how to become righteous as God is righteous then it is not from God because that is what he calls his people to do.

Kerwin,
    You call to mind the story of the blind men and the elephant.  Four blind men went to see an elephant. One touched the leg of the elephant, and said, 'The elephant is like a pillar.' The second touched the trunk, and said, The elephant is like a thick stick or club.' The third touched the belly, and said, 'The elephant is like a big jar.' The fourth touched the ears, and said, 'The elephant is like a winnowing basket.' Thus they began to dispute amongst themselves as to the figure of the elephant. A passer-by seeing them thus quarrelling, said, 'What is it that you are disputing about?' They told him everything, and asked him to arbitrate. That man said, 'None of you has seen the elephant. The elephant is not like a pillar, its legs are like pillars. It is not like a big water-vessel, its belly is like a water-vessel. It is not like a winnowing basket, its ears are like winnowing baskets. It is not like a thick stick or club, but its proboscis is like that. The elephant is the combination of all these.' In the same manner those quarrel who have seen one aspect only of the Deity.

Proclaimer
    Participant

Resurrection of the dead and reincarnation are not part of the same elephant.

Cato
    Participant

Quote (t8 @ Sep. 18 2009,16:57)

Truth is absolute and like light it shines in the darkness. You cannot have 2 truths that contradict. Either it is light or it is darkness. There are not 2 or 3 different lights. There is one light. Likewise there is one faith and one God who is in all.

While I do not deny that there are absolute truths, I also believe there are relative truths.  When I come in from a cold day the same breathe that warms my cold hands cools my hot soup.  To my hands the breath is warm, to the soup cool, both are true.  While God may be an absolute truth what we know of God is a relative one.

Proclaimer
    Participant

Jesus is either the only way or not. He said that all who came before him, (who claimed to be the way/light/door) were robbers.

Jesus was either wrong or right. If there are other Christ's then he is not the only way, and by reason of that, he is a liar which by the way rules out any possibility that he is even one of the ways. For no lie or liar is of God.

Cato
    Participant

Quote (t8 @ Sep. 18 2009,23:25)
    Resurrection of the dead and reincarnation are not part of the same elephant.

At the surface, no they don't appear so. Neither do trinitarians and non-trinitarians in Christianity but does one detail invalidate the entire concept of one or the other brand of Christianity? I imagine most religions have within them some truths and some falsehoods.

Cato
    Participant

Quote (t8 @ Sep. 18 2009,23:43)
    Jesus is either the only way or not. He said that all who came before him, (who claimed to be the way/light/door) were robbers.

Jesus was either wrong or right. If there are other Christ's then he is not the only way, and by reason of that, he is a liar which by the way rules out any possibility that he is even one of the ways. For no lie or liar is of God.

Here you make the assumption that all that was written about Jesus and scripture itself is absolute truth, inspired by the Almighty, as many put it. Jesus did not write for himself nor did he have a secretary to follow him and record things as they happened. No it was left to men who in all probability were illiterate, to make their recollections years after the event and pass it on to others. I would not call Jesus a liar but I have doubts about the accuracy of many Biblical accounts.

there are bibles that distort the truth but the word of God still stands

Cato
    Participant

I would say that the nearest we will ever come to the word of God is the laws of physics and mathematics. Leibnitz, Newton, Guass, Euler, Archimedes are in many ways the great prophets of God and show us in pristine logic the majesty and will of the Creator.

kerwin
    Participant

Previously, Kerwin wrote:

Cato responded:

In the same manner those quarrel who have seen one aspect only of the Deity.

So I reasonably assume you are stating that calling his people to be righteous is only one aspect of God.

No Kidding!   I was only addressing one teaching of Jesus the Anointed One.  Still, if a teaching contradicts even that one aspect it is a false teaching.

The question is “do you agree with me on that one aspect of God?”

If two blind men touch the belly then do they both agree it is like a “big water-vessel” or does one instead believe it is like ”a  winnowing basket”?

Viewing 20 posts - 2,001 through 2,020 (of 4,516 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 1999 - 2024 Heaven Net

Navigation

© 1999 - 2023 - Heaven Net
or

or    

Forgot your details?

or

Create Account