Which version of the Bible is the most accurate?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 23 total)
  • Author
    gsilva72
    Participant

Which version of the Bible is the most accurate? Some say the King James Version. Others say the NIV, because the scholars had a better knowledge of the Greek and Hebrew when the NIV was written?  :(

Shania
    Participant

I like the NIV, but I think it helps to have them all side by side and have a lexicon handy as well.

Having different translations side by side can help you get a better picture of what scripture is saying:

Luke 22:32
    32 But I have prayed for you, Simon, that your faith may not fail. And when you have turned back, strengthen your brothers .”
    NIV

Luke 22:32

32 But I have prayed for thee, that thy faith fail not: and when thou art converted, strengthen thy brethren.
    KJV

The words “turned back” in NIV are “converted” in KJV. Sound different, huh? But when you think about it, what is a converted heart? It is one that has done a 180 and turned from the path of selfishness to the path of Messiah. This speaks of resolve, action, commitment. Isn't that a true conversion?

This is something you may not have noticed if you only had one of the translations.

Proclaimer
    Participant

There are at least 2 different ways of translating bibles. One is to translate each word for word when possible and then connect the words in a way that the new language can understand which ultimately means some words need to be added. The other is to take a whole idea and translate it so that the new language expresses the point as clear as possible. Lots of words are added that were not part of the text.

Both have their good points and pitfalls. The NIV I think has given itself some license for translating ideas and it is quite easy to read, yet according to some pretty accurate too. The NASB according to some is even more accurate because it sticks to using word for word translating when it can but is harder to read.

When doing some serious study it is probably a good idea to have translations from both, just as long as you bear in mind that a translation with a lot of license can be very wrong in parts while a tighter translation may be harder to understand.

The KJV to me is not really that good a translation. First off there are English words used that have a completely different meaning today and the KJV translators didn't have access to the yet to be discovered Dead Sea Scrolls. The KJV also has Erasmus's error, the Comma Johanneum.

gsilva72
    Participant

I thought they did use some of the sea scrolls in translating the King James Version. Or was it just the  Vulgate?

What is this Erasmus's error the King James Version Has?

:(

Participant

Quote (gsilva72 @ May 21 2008,17:44)
    Which version of the Bible is the most accurate? Some say the King James Version. Others say the NIV, because the scholars had a better knowledge of the Greek and Hebrew when the NIV was written?  :(

Hi gsilva72:

Personally, I believe that the KJV is the most accurate. But there are many errors, and sometimes it is necessary to consult other versions of the bible in order to get the undersanding of a scripture.

chosenone
    Participant

In my opinion, the “Concordant” version is the most accurate. Go to “Concordant.org” to read about how this version came about. It is amazing how this man and associates (no longer alive) spent a lifetime researching and translating this version. The website is still active.

God Bless.

gsilva72
    Participant

Hi Chosenone,

I will check that web site out. Thanks :)

gsilva72
    Participant

Supposedly no version is accurate according to some. Some say Matthew 28:19 is suppose to read: “Go ye, and make disciples of all nations in my name'' instead of Go ye therefore and teach all nations baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost. Others claim 1 John 5:7 not valid either. Still some claim that John 1:1 reads “and the word was a God” Then some claim  John 1:18 should read “only begotten God”. Regardless of what we believe(oneness, Arianism,Trinity) lets not change the word of God. The Bible says Thy word is truth. If we claim its wrong with all these suposed errors, then you make God a liar! Furthermore, you will be held accountable for changing the word of God!

With love GS

gollamudi
    Participant

Hi gsilva72, nice post. I also believe the same.One thing we have to keep in mind is we should have open mind to read all versions. The second thing is search for the internal meaning and witness for the 'word' you are meditating. God will certainly help us to understand His scriptures in full.
    Peace to all
    Adam

NickHassan
    Participant

Hi,
    Before we look at accuracy of translation we must be aware of manuscript choice.
    We have no originals and the copied manuscripts often differ from each other.
    Some bibles choose the most common[KJV] while others choose the oldest.

Not3in1
    Participant

Which versions choose the oldest?

Not3in1
    Participant

I'm using a new translation of the bible called, The Holman Christian Standard Bible.  I dig it.  It's subtitled, “The Apologetics Study Bible”.

The textual base of the Holman NT is the Nestle-Aland Novum Testamentum Graece, 27th edition, and the United bible Societies' Greek New Testament, 4th corrected edition.  The text for the OT is the Biblia Hebraica Stuttgartensia, 5th edition.

Does all of the above mean anything to anyone?  If so, please share with the rest of us.  I've never understood the manuscripts and translations…..
    Thanks,
    Mandy

david
    Participant

I would say ONE of the most accurate would be the New World Translation. But I'm biased. My bias is based largely on the fact that I don't speak old english and the fact that I think God's name should not be replaced by LORD or GOD which has only caused mass confusion.

Someone that isn't biased is Jason debuhn. He teaches Greek, and has recently wrote a book, considering the accuracy of several Bible translations.

“While critical of some of its translation choices, BeDuhn called the New World Translation a “remarkably good” translation, “better by far” and “consistently better” than some of the others considered. Overall, concluded BeDuhn, the New World Translation “is one of the most accurate English translations of the New Testament currently available” and “the most accurate of the translations compared.”—Truth in Translation: Accuracy and Bias in English Translations of the New Testament.”
    http://mysite.wanadoo-members.co.uk/newworl….ook.htm

This website also quotes him as saying:

“My research has turned up real howlers in ALL of the translations listed above, the NWT included. But statistically the NWT ranks near the top of the comparison in its accuracy. The NAB also scores rather well. While the “Living Bible” and the TEV (“Good News”) Bible rank near the bottom, not because they are paraphrases, but because they introduce different meanings to the text they are supposed to be making clear to the general reader.
    I have no personal stake in which Bible emerges as most accurate. My only stake is in informing the public about how theological bias has colored the translations they are using, and in providing them with tools to help them understand what the text behind the translations actually means. This is my job as a biblical scholar…..”

The reason I like the NWT is because it's easy to use. It's made to be studied.

WOW You are a biblical scholar David? I am only a simple retired House Wife, my Husband was a Baker all of His life, but we did own our own Business. Since He retired He has now His second Book at the Publisher, which soon will be avaible. Life has taught us a lot, and so has the Holy Spirit. My husband uses the Rye Study Bible King James and I use the New King James. We also have the New American Version, but my Husband prefers the Rye and I the NKJ. We also have a German Bible. I really believe that the understand will come from God by His Holy Spirit, we understand. No matter what Bible we use. Most of what I believe I can prove out of the K.J. Bible. The trinity, preexisting of Jesus, Who God is, to name a few.
    Peace and Love Mrs.

Not3in1
    Participant

Quote (david @ May 29 2008,15:41)
    The reason I like the NWT is because it's easy to use. It's made to be studied.

I have a NWT. The JW ladies who visit me brought me one that had been left at a convention. I do refer to it ocassionally. I have been a bit leary of it only because I've felt that if a religion had to have their own version of the bible then there must be a reason why? And I concluded that that reason was because they needed a version that proved their various dogmas and leanings. But maybe I'm misled in my thinking?

Not3in1
    Participant

Quote (seek and you will find @ May 29 2008,16:12)
    WOW You are a biblical scholar David? I am only a simple retired House Wife, my Husband was a Baker all of His life, but we did own our own Business. Since He retired He has now His second Book at the Publisher, which soon will be avaible.  Life has taught us a lot, and so has the Holy Spirit. My husband uses the Rye Study Bible King James and I use the New King James. We also have the New American Version, but my Husband prefers the Rye and I the NKJ. We also have a German Bible. I really believe that the understand will come from God by His Holy Spirit, we understand. No matter what Bible we use. Most of what I believe I can prove out of the K.J. Bible. The trinity, preexisting of Jesus, Who God is, to name a few.
    Peace and Love Mrs.

Ever since I learned that 1 John 5:7 was added by a scribe into the KJ bible, I haven't used that version. Plus for me it's just so hard to understand. I have my mother's old KJV. She read that thing until the pages are all falling out. When she died and all of us siblings sat around a table to put on paper what we all really wanted from her things – her bible was my first pick. I knew it meant the most to her. While other's chose her diamonds………I grabbed her true treasure.

dirtyknections
    Participant

I beleive you should be able to prove what you believe out of ANY bible..Me being a JW i'm partial to the NWT..but I do think they are other translations that are just as accurate and easy to read..I've actually been the NIV a lot lately..don't no why…just my mood :cool:

Simply put..the most accurate translation of the bible…is the one God writes on your heart by means of the Holy Spirit

gsilva72
    Participant

I usually use the NKJV,KJV, and sometimes the NIV.  The Holman Christian Standard Bible seems to be ok. I donot like “The Message Bilble”:)

NickHassan
    Participant

Quote (dirtyknections @ May 30 2008,02:14)
    I beleive you should be able to prove what you believe out of ANY bible..Me being a JW i'm partial to the NWT..but I do think they are other translations that are just as accurate and easy to read..I've actually been the NIV a lot lately..don't no why…just my mood :cool:

Simply put..the most accurate translation of the bible…is the one God writes on your heart by means of the Holy Spirit

Hi,
    The NIV wrongly occasionally ADDS words

eg
    JESUS in Jn12 in the Isaiah quote
    and TWO MEN when all manuscripts say WITNESSES in Rev11

dirtyknections
    Participant

Nick…

You are absolutely right…thats why I use multiple versions…Honestly though..I loathe the KJV…i just can't take the style and the language…

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 23 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 1999 - 2024 Heaven Net

Navigation

© 1999 - 2023 - Heaven Net
or

or    

Forgot your details?

or

Create Account