What does abstain from blood mean to you?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Texas
    Participant

What does “Abstain from Blood” mean to you?

To begin this discussion I would like to point to one dictionary definition of this word Abstain. It is defined in the following words from the Webster New World Dictionary, as follows, in part: …”To hold back, To hold oneself back, voluntarily do without; refrain; to abstain from smoking. Refrain in turn means: to keep oneself from doing something. “Abstain implies voluntary self denial or the deliberate giving up of something [to abstain from liquor] … ect

Let's assume that you are headed home from work one night and you decide to stop in at the local Bar for a drink or two before going home. You stay longer than planned, drinking too much and ending up in a Bar fight. A big burly Cop comes in and charges you with assault, and to make a long story short you are brought before a Judge, who, among other things, cautions you to abstain from alcohol, or the next time you come before him a prison sentence will be handed down. You leave the courtroom breathing a sigh of relief at getting off with just a warning, but now you are not allowed to drink anymore. But, then, maybe he didn't mean what he said. Maybe abstain doesn't mean you can't drink anymore. Would you head for the local Bar after work the next day? Not if you are in your right mind, you wouldn't. The next time up will get you six Months in jail, just to show you what abstain means.

You would learn a hard lesson, would you not? Will we learn a similar lesson for ignoring Jehovah Gods Law on Blood? Perhaps even a first offence would bring us the severest of punishment, with no mercy shown; because of a deliberate violation, with full knowledge of what we were doing, because there is another Judge that must be taken into consideration in this case. That is, “The Judge of all the earth.” [Genesis 18:2] [Isaiah 33:22]

Now who from among us would not be afraid to go against the order of this secular Judge? Should we not be equally afraid to go against Jehovah's clearly stated law on blood? That law states:

For the Holy Spirit and we ourselves have favored adding no further burden to you except these necessary things, to keep abstaining from things sacrificed to idols and from blood and from things strangled and from fornication. If you carefully keep yourselves from these things you will prosper. Good health to you.”

Now, my own conscience dictates that blood in any form, particularly in the form of the Transfusion of blood would not be acceptable to me. Even in the face of death, I would have to take seriously what is written here in Acts 15: 28,29 and show proper fear and respect for “The judge of all the earth!” That is what 'abstain from blood' means to me! [Job 1:8-12 – 2:3-5] What does it mean to you?

I had occasion sometime back, to be told by a Doctor, because, as she said, at that time, that 'I was bleeding internally and would need not just one blood transfusion, but many'! I told her, flat out, that there was 'no way I would accept a Blood Transfusion', even in the face of death! She said, to me, “Do you want to die?” I told her that I would accept any other alternative, but NO BLOOD! She stormed away from me, as “mad as a hatter”! What did I care about her anger?, I was obeying the command of my God Jehovah, and that was first and foremost in my mind?! Her anger meant little to me! On the other hand, Jehovah's anger would have meant much more to me. As it turned out, the problem I had at that time righted itself, so no Blood was needed afterall!

As Christians we all know that the're are many prohibitions on the use of Blood throughout the Hebrew scriptures; to mention only a few, they are, as follows: Deuteronomy 12:16; 23 – 25 – Leviticus 3:17; 17: 10-14;16:33,34 – Those few should be sufficient to make my point!

Now many will argue that those scriptures are talking about the use of animal Blood only; and that's true, but note exactly what was accomplished by the Blood of animals, at that time!

Leviticus 17:11 (New American Standard Bible)
    11'For the life of the flesh is in the blood, and I have given it to you on the altar to make atonement for your souls; for it is the blood by reason of the life that makes atonement.' Now that's fairly clear, isn't it? But make atonement for what? Consider the following:

Leviticus 16:34 (New American Standard Bible)
    34″Now you shall have this as a permanent statute, to make atonement for the sons of Israel for all their sins once every year.” And just as the LORD had commanded Moses, so he did. So, those sacrifices under the Law was for the sins committed by the Israelites, while under that Law!
    Now some may argue that we, as Christians today are not under that Law, and that is true, but when the Christ terminated that Law by his appearance on the scene, did that mean that Jehovah's viewpoint on the sacredness of Blood changed? Absolutely not! {Romans 10:4} While the Old Mosaic Law Covenant may not be in force today, replaced by the New Covenant established on the Blood of the Chirist, the Law given to Noah after the flood is still in force, still binding on Christians today! That Law, was this:
    Genesis 9:3

3 Every moving thing that is alive shall be food for you; I give all to you, as I gave the green plant.
    New American Standard Bible (NASB)
    Genesis 9:4
    “Only you shall not eat flesh with its life, that is, its blood.
    Unlike the Mosaic Law, these words to Noah are still in force today. They have not been done away with, as was the Mosic Law!
    We know from scripture, that the 'gift offerings and sacrifices' that the Christ caused 'to cease' was not sufficient 'to take sins away'; something far superior was needed! The apostle Peter will explain to us what that was, for he stated: {Daniel 9:24-27}
    Hebrews 10:1-4 (New American Standard Bible)(American Standard Version)
    17 And if ye call on him as Father, who without respect of persons judgeth according to each man's work, pass the time of your sojourning in fear:
    18 knowing that ye were redeemed, not with corruptible things, with silver or gold, from your vain manner of life handed down from your fathers;
    19 but with precious blood, as of a lamb without spot, even the blood of Christ: {1Peter 1:17-19}
    We see from all of this, that something far superior to animal sacrices was needed to take away the sin of the World as Hebrews 10 nicely highlites: {John 1:29}
    Hebrews 10

One Sacrifice of Christ Is Sufficient
    1For the Law, since it has only a shadow of the good things to come and not the very form of things, can never, by the same sacrifices which they offer continually year by year, make perfect those who draw near.
    2 Otherwise, would they not have ceased to be offered, because the worshipers, having once been cleansed, would no longer have had consciousness of sins?
    3But in those sacrifices there is a reminder of sins year by year.
    4For it is impossible for the blood of bulls and goats to take away sins.
    Hebrews 8:4-6 (New American Standard Bible)
    4Now if He were on earth, He would not be a priest at all, since there are those who offer the gifts according to the Law;
    5 who serve a copy and shadow of the heavenly things, just as Moses was warned by God when he was about to erect the tabernacle; for, “SEE,” He says, “THAT YOU MAKE all things ACCORDING TO THE PATTERN WHICH WAS SHOWN YOU ON THE MOUNTAIN.”

6 But now He has obtained a more excellent ministry, by as much as He is also the mediator of a better covenant, which has been enacted on better promises.
    Now, we know that everything written in the Law and the Prophets and the Psalms about the Christ was fulfilled by him, as he himself stated in the following words:
    Luke 24:44 (American Standard Version)
    44 And he said unto them, These are my words which I spake unto yo
    u, while I was yet with you, that all things must needs be fulfilled, which are written in the law of Moses, and the prophets, and the psalms, concerning me.
    Now was the prohibition on Blood carried over into the New Covenant? Most assuredly, it was, for note what was stated at Acts 15:28,29:
    American Standard Version (ASV) Acts 15:28
    28 For it seemed good to the Holy Spirit, and to us, to lay upon you no greater burden than these necessary things:
    American Standard Version (ASV)
    Acts 15:29
    29 that ye abstain from things sacrificed to idols, and from blood, and from things strangled, and from fornication; from which if ye keep yourselves, it shall be well with you. Fare ye well.
    Now, no one can use the excuse that the Blood of the Christ was animal-Blood! Far from it! It was the Blood of a perfect human being, that is why the Holy Spirit tells us to abstain from Blood!
    Adam the first man did not take Jehovah's commands seriously; and as a result of his ignoring Jehovah's clear warning not to touch the tree of the knowledge of good and evil, we have suffered six thousand years of pain-suffering and death; murder and mayhem all over this planet. Ignoring Jehovah's law on Blood would also bring its consequences, would it not! Yes! “Abstain from Blood means exactly that; don't go near it, don't touch it!

When we consider the example set by Adam and his wife Eve, and what their disobedience brought upon the entire human-race, it should not be too difficult to apply the direction given at Acts 15:28,29 to … 'abstain from Blood'… for in doing that, it would mean: “If you carefully keep yourselves from these things, you will prosper. Good health to you! {Genesis 2:16,17- Romans 5:12} Conversely, if we do not, the opposite of that will prove to be true! Texas!

NickHassan
    Participant

Hi Texas,
    We all need to find what is right for us and follow our conscience.
    We ought also to ensure that our conscience is aligned with scripture.
    It is best to discern what was written for us and what is written for others.
    Otherwise ought we not all be carrying our beds around because of what Jesus said?

Mk2
    11I say unto thee, Arise, and take up thy bed, and go thy way into thine house.

Conscience can be seared or formed by our upbringing or by human dogmas.

1Cor3
    18My little children, let us not love in word, neither in tongue; but in deed and in truth.

19And hereby we know that we are of the truth, and shall assure our hearts before him.

20For if our heart condemn us, God is greater than our heart, and knoweth all things.

21Beloved, if our heart condemn us not, then have we confidence toward God.

david
    Participant

Now, my own conscience dictates that blood in any form, particularly in the form of the Transfusion of blood would not be acceptable to me. Even in the face of death, I would have to take seriously what is written here in Acts 15: 28,29 and show proper fear and respect for “The judge of all the earth!” That is what 'abstain from blood' means to me! [Job 1:8-12 – 2:3-5] What does it mean to you?

Texas, your first couple of posts, at first, I was thinking you were a JW in disguise or something. It often seems as if you quote from the NWT. You use the name “Jehovah” constantly. And now this statement above.

Have you ever been accused of being a JW before?

Of course, I know you are not. But how many people other than JW's have the above view? How many would rather die than break this command? It's extremely hard to find such ones….

Texas
    Participant

Quote (david @ April 13 2009,18:40)

Now, my own conscience dictates that blood in any form, particularly in the form of the Transfusion of blood would not be acceptable to me. Even in the face of death, I would have to take seriously what is written here in Acts 15: 28,29 and show proper fear and respect for “The judge of all the earth!” That is what 'abstain from blood' means to me! [Job 1:8-12 –  2:3-5] What does it mean to you?

Texas, your first couple of posts, at first, I was thinking you were a JW in disguise or something.  It often seems as if you quote from the NWT.  You use the name “Jehovah” constantly.  And now this statement above.

Have you ever been accused of being a JW before?

Of course, I know you are not.  But how many people other than JW's have the above view?  How many would rather die than break this command?  It's extremely hard to find such ones….

Hi David!
    Yes! I associated with Jehovah's Witnesses for some twenty-One years; until I learned that they were not who they made claim to being! I also disagreed with, at least, one of their teachings, one night at a Book-Study. That led to my leaving them. The issue was over this supposed coming cry of 'peace and security'. I put a Post on the Board dealing with that cry of peace and security. If you read it, you will know why I disagreed with them. What did the man say? “Above all else to thine own self be true.” I couldn't remain with them when I didn't agree with one of their teachings, and in all conscience I couldn't teach something that I didn't agree with. Was I to do that, it would have made me out to be the worst kind of liar! Texas!

Texas
    Participant

Quote (Nick Hassan @ April 13 2009,12:01)
    Hi Texas,
    We all need to find what is right for us and follow our conscience.
    We ought also to ensure that our conscience is aligned with scripture.
    It is best to discern what was written for us and what is written for others.
    Otherwise ought we not all be carrying our beds around because of what Jesus said?  

Mk2
    11I say unto thee, Arise, and take up thy bed, and go thy way into thine house.

Conscience can be seared or formed by our upbringing or by human dogmas.

1Cor3
    18My little children, let us not love in word, neither in tongue; but in deed and in truth.

19And hereby we know that we are of the truth, and shall assure our hearts before him.

20For if our heart condemn us, God is greater than our heart, and knoweth all things.

21Beloved, if our heart condemn us not, then have we confidence toward God.

All well and good Nick Hassan, but you deviate from the subject! Texas!

NickHassan
    Participant

Hi Texas,
    No the subject is your beliefs.

david
    Participant

I associated with Jehovah's Witnesses for some twenty-One years

Yes, I sort of assumed so. You speak like they do, and discuss the same topics.

david
    Participant

The issue was over this supposed coming cry of 'peace and security'. I put a Post on the Board dealing with that cry of peace and security. If you read it, you will know why I disagreed with them.

Texas, Which thread is it in?

Texas
    Participant

Quote (david @ April 14 2009,16:50)

The issue was over this supposed coming cry of 'peace and security'. I put a Post on the Board dealing with that cry of peace and security. If you read it, you will know why I disagreed with them.

Hello David!
    I put that Post on the message Board! It was titled, 'Peace real or imagined-will it come'? Texas

Texas
    Participant

Quote (Nick Hassan @ April 14 2009,06:50)
    Hi Texas,
    No the subject is your beliefs.

Hello Nick Hassan!

Yes! They are my beliefs, and they are such because they are true Bible Teachings! Would I really want any other kind? Texas

Texas
    Participant

Quote (Texas @ April 15 2009,01:50)

Quote (david @ April 14 2009,16:50)

Hello David!
    I put that Post on the message Board! It was titled, 'Peace real or imagined-will it come'? Texas

Hello David!
    I don't know how that post of mine got on there twice, unless this crazy mouse of mine is the culprit! It has a button on each side of it, and if I'm not careful and I inadvertently hit one of them, everything goes a little snakey. That's what probably happened in this case! Sorry about that! Texas!

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 1999 - 2024 Heaven Net

Navigation

© 1999 - 2023 - Heaven Net
or

or    

Forgot your details?

or

Create Account