What do JW’s teach?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 20 posts - 61 through 80 (of 211 total)
  • Author
    Ed J
    Participant

What do JW’s teach?   …for those who want straight answers.

Quote (david @ Sep. 17 2011,13:05)

Hi David,

Going to war or not going to war is NOT what I wish to discuss.
    (We are already in agreement on this point)

I realize that, but often, we we look at history, the historians mention both together.  And really, they mention the not going to war thing quite a bit more than not engaging in politics.  But, usually when they do mention politics, they also mention war, along with it.  

(1)In my mind, they are sort of related.  

Hi David,

It is merely the “FAULTY WORDING” of your question.
    You obviously meant the word AGAINST rather than with.
    Because I(Ed J), with God, will be fighting against those kings.
    I hope this clarifies the Scriptural references I gave about my position.

(2)Sorry, yes I see the ambigousness of my question now.  Didn't mean to do that.  But I thought based on the scripture, it would be obvious that God is waring against those kings.  Is that now how you understand that verse?  Ok, I read further, yes, that is how you understand it:

Because I(Ed J), with God, will be fighting against those kings.

Which brings me back to my original question.  (2)ED, YOU SEEM TO SEE TWO SIDES HERE: GOD (AND YOU WITH HIM AND OTHERS..) AGAINST THE KINGS OF THE EARTH.  
    (“and they go forth to the KINGS of the entire inhabited earth, to gather them together to the war of the great day of God the Almighty.”)
    (3)SO, MY QUESTION IS: WHY WOULD A CHRISTIAN WANT TO BE ON THE OTHER SIDE?_

Hi David,

1) So is taxes, civic projects, and all other various legislation.

2) No problem, I often have difficulty conveying truth to others (based on their perception).
        Sometimes we have to understand their position before we can explain ours.

3) This battle, to which you refer, is listed in Rev.19:11-21; right?

4) Do you mean why would a Christian want to fight against God's will?   …I can't imagine they would.

God bless
    Ed J (Joshua 22:34)
    http://www.holycitybiblecode.org

Ed J
    Participant

A) Sure, Constantine planned it, but why?  Like any ruler, he wanted unity, and not division.  (A1)I don't think I'm the only one on here who thinks these things about Constantine.  I'm sure I've seen many postings before that expressed similar ideas.

Was not the Nicene Council the first to vote on which holy books were to be considered Canon?

Was this not actually part of the process which lead to the final 66 books we have in our finalized Bible?

(A2)And your point?  (I have contention with both of these points, but that's another discussion, and we are getting further and further away from the actual topic.)

Hi David,

A) Isn't unity (in God) the goal?

A1) I was only using Constantine to make a point, not to evaluate his Christian-ness.

A2) My point was that a consensus of Christians believers
    decided what holy-books were to be considered Canon,
    became the final 66 books of the bible we have today.
    This was a political process. <– that was my point.

God bless

Ed J
    Participant

The only verses that come the close to: “THOU SHALT NOT TAKE PART IN LOCAL GOVERNMENTS” are:

Jesus answered, My kingdom is not of this world: if my kingdom were of this world, then would my servants fight,
           that I should not be delivered to the Jews: but now is my kingdom not from hence. (John 18:36)
        When Jesus therefore perceived that they would come and take him by force, to make him a king,
    he departed again into a mountain himself alone. (John 6:15)
        They are not of the world, even as I am not of the world. (John 17:16)

(1)For some reason, I had originally thought your question was about going to war.  Sorry.  

(2)But since you were able to find Bible principles among those other scriptures that YOU see as having some relevance, my question to you is: Why do you dismiss them?  (3)Remember, you are the one who found them.  (4)(Those 50 scriptures or how ever many, (5)you are right, they weren't specifically about government, (6)but rather going to war.  (7)And yet, you found relevance in a few of the scriptures.  How interesting.  (8)And, again: Why do you dismiss them, (9)especially given that you are the one who found them as having relevance?___)

Hi David,

1) No problem.

2) I don't understand this question?   …I don't 'DISMISS' any Scripture?

3) You the one who posted them, did you not get that post
    (4)from the watchtower society's prefabbed printed material?

5) THIS HAS BEEN MY POINT ALL ALONG! Thank you for agreeing with me!

6) Not all of them.

7) This is faulty wording once again,
         I find relevance in all Scripture.

8) I only dismiss the political spin that the watchtower society gives as Exegeses meaning associated with them.

9) I gave you the Scriptural relevance to those Scriptures,
    which differs form you saying they mean to stay out of the political process.
    The relevance to them is located in Gal.5:19-21 & Col.3:5-6; did you not look-up those verses?

May this thread be a blessing to all who read it! :)

My goal is for unity in the body of Christian believers.
    T8 has declared that this was his goal as well. So you
    are at the right place (in the H-net forum T8 has set up)
    to discuss the correct meanings of Scripture with us here!

Witnessing to the world in behalf of YHVH! (Psalm 45:17)
    יהוה האלהים=117  (JEHOVAH GOD) YÄ-hä-vā  hä ĔL-ō-Hêêm!
    Ed J (AKJV Isaiah 49:16 / Isaiah 60:14 / Joshua 22:34)
    http://www.holycitybiblecode.org   …(Eccl.9:12-16)

Ed J
    Participant

I have two questions regarding not being allowed (by your organization) to participate in the political process.
    And in the days of these kings shall the God of heaven set up a kingdom, which shall never be destroyed:
    and the kingdom shall not be left to other people, but it shall break in pieces
    and consume all these kingdoms, and it shall stand for ever. (Dan 2:44)

You stated (in essence) that God is going to destroy all existing Governments.
    BUT, according to Daniel 2:44 of the bible, Scripture states that “God's Kingdom”
    (which you say is Government) is going consume other Kingdoms (or Governments).
    This indicates to me that God's people, rather than God, are the ones bringing this about. <– Do you agree; if not, why not? (See also Rev.11:15)

(1)I find that with us, (2)and maybe with others, (3)we attribute things to God that God isn't specifically doing himself, but that he has appointed to others. (4)Given that he is the one with the authority and it is his purpose being carried out, and that it is often called the “kingdom of God” even though God himself has appointed Jesus to take the lead in doing this work, maybe I said “God” will do it.  Although, you didn't quote me, but I'm sure I might have.  The Bible says that “God” has set up a kingdom that will do those things.  (dan 2:44)  (5)So again, we can say that God is behind it, even though he has appointed Jesus to take the lead in this.

Hi David,

1) Us: do you mean the JW organization?

2) Others: do you mean other Christians?

3) So when your organization says God is going to: they don't actually mean that?   …isn't that a bit confusing?

4) That is why some Christians must take place in the political process; do you disagree? If so, why?

5) Define your usage of the words “WE” and “IT” in this sentence?
      a) We means…
      b) It means…

God bless

Ed J
    Participant

For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers,
    against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places. (Eph.6:12)
    Secondly: Just exactly how do we wrestle against these rulers, if not through the political process?

New International Version (©1984)
    For our struggle is not against flesh and blood, but against the rulers, against the authorities, against the powers of this dark world and against the spiritual forces of evil in the heavenly realms.

New Living Translation (©2007)
    For we are not fighting against flesh-and-blood enemies, but against evil rulers and authorities of the unseen world, against mighty powers in this dark world, and against evil spirits in the heavenly places.

English Standard Version (©2001)
    For we do not wrestle against flesh and blood, but against the rulers, against the authorities, against the cosmic powers over this present darkness, against the spiritual forces of evil in the heavenly places.

New American Standard Bible (©1995)
    For our struggle is not against flesh and blood, but against the rulers, against the powers, against the world forces of this darkness, against the spiritual forces of wickedness in the heavenly places.

International Standard Version (©2008)
    For our struggle is not against human opponents, but against rulers, authorities, cosmic powers in the darkness around us, and evil spiritual forces in the heavenly realm.

GOD'S WORD® Translation (©1995)
    This is not a wrestling match against a human opponent. We are wrestling with rulers, authorities, the powers who govern this world of darkness, and spiritual forces that control evil in the heavenly world.

I guess we see this verse differently.  First, it obviously says that our enemy, or the ones we are fighting are not human.  “But” instead, against “evil spirits in heavenly places.”

That is our enemy, as far as I can tell.  It begins by saying our enemies aren't flesh and blood (human.)  You can try to argue and say there is a list of several different things, including the evil spirits, BUT, that verse begins by saying our enemies aren't human,  Rather, they are the rulers and authorities of this world, the evil spirits.  (And before you ask, we know the Devil is called the ruler of this world, and he has the kingdoms of the world that he tempted Jesus with and there are many more scriptures I could provide.  But anyway, that's how JW view it.)

SO, you ask: “Just exactly how do we wrestle against these rulers, if not through the political process?”  Well, I ask, how does one wrestle against ones who are not flesh and blood?  The political process?  Is that how one would defeat Satan, for example?

Hi David,

Perhaps, you may not understand?
    I was referring to “HOW” the kingdoms of this world
    become the kingdoms of JEHOVAH and his Christ, Jesus of Nazareth.

The kingdoms of this world are become the kingdoms of our LORD,
    and of his Christ; and he shall reign for ever and ever. (Rev 11:15)
    Do you not believe that evil spirits influence the rulers of this world?

God bless

Ed J
    Participant

Quote (david @ Sep. 17 2011,13:28)
    “ED, IF THE BIBLE SAYS THAT THE RULERS OF THIS SYSTEM OF THINGS ARE TO COME TO NOTHING, WHY BE ONE OF THEM?….Ed, would you want to be one of those rulers?”

Your answer: “No.”

Ed, do you think it's wrong for a Christian to take that same stand?

Hi David,

Are you going to give me straight answers? Or are you going to dodge these questions?

(1)Are you trying to insinuate the I'm (according to your organization) “NOT” a Christian?
    (2)Does your organization teach that those who are not members
    of your organization are not Christians?

These are two questions, please address them as such!

God bless

david
    Participant

Quote (Ed J @ Sep. 18 2011,02:49)

“ED, IF THE BIBLE SAYS THAT THE RULERS OF THIS SYSTEM OF THINGS ARE TO COME TO NOTHING, WHY BE ONE OF THEM?….Ed, would you want to be one of those rulers?”

Hi David,

Are you going to give me straight answers? Or are you going to dodge these questions?

(1)Are you trying to insinuate the I'm (according to your organization) “NOT” a Christian?

God bless

Hi Ed,
    First, let me say that I have been away because I have been experiencing health issues, and have simply been quite busy. I could have come on here, but I know when I do, I can not help but respond and this takes a lot of my time.

Ed, you quoted my question, but did not answer it. Again:

Do you think it's wrong for a Christian (follower of Christ) to take the same stand or position of “no,” 'I don't want to be one of those rulers who God is going to bring to nothing'?

1. I was not “trying to insinuate” that you are not a “Christian.” I was asking you if you thought generally speaking it was wrong for a follower of Christ to take the same “no” position that you did. (because that is the position JW's take)

2. Ed, let me start by answering your question with a question: Do you believe that JW's are Christians (followers of Christ)? If you say “yes,” then why have you been arguing against those who follow Christ–The Christ is not divided. If you say “no” then I would ask on what basis you define one who is or isn't following Christ.
    This question is a whole separate topic, and if you'd like to ask it, we can discuss it in the future. Right now, I am more interested in your answer to my question that you quoted.

I have been more and more limited with time. I am really wanting to create a few separate threads on the kingdom (within or among) and make them so they are individual discussions. I actually find that topic much more important and interesting.

Ed J
    Participant

Quote (david @ Oct. 08 2011,18:35)

Quote (Ed J @ Sep. 18 2011,02:49)

Hi David,

God bless

Hi Ed,
    First, let me say that I have been away because I have been experiencing health issues, and have simply been quite busy.  I could have come on here, but I know when I do, I can not help but respond and this takes a lot of my time.  

Ed, you quoted my question, but did not answer it.  Again:

Do you think it's wrong for a Christian (follower of Christ) to take the same stand or position of “no,” 'I don't want to be one of those rulers who God is going to bring to nothing'?

1.  (A)I was not “trying to insinuate” that you are not a “Christian.”  (B)I was asking you if you thought generally speaking it was wrong for a follower of Christ to take the same “no” position that you did.  (because that is the position JW's take)

2.  Ed, (A)let me start by answering your question with a question: Do you believe that JW's are Christians (followers of Christ)? (B) If you say “yes,” then why have you been arguing against those who follow Christ–The Christ is not divided.  If you say “no” then I would ask on what basis you define one who is or isn't following Christ.
    (C)This question is a whole separate topic, and if you'd like to ask it, we can discuss it in the future.  Right now, I am more interested in your answer to my question that you quoted.

I have been more and more limited with time.  I am really wanting to create a few separate threads on the kingdom (within or among) and make them so they are individual discussions.  I actually find that topic much more important and interesting.

Hi David,

Your question is moot   …and implies that your organization teaches
    that those who are not members of your organization are not Christians.

1) A) My question was about your organization, not you personally?   <— Could you please answer now?
        B) Your question is moot.  

2)  I see your still trying to dodge the question.
        A) But the fact remains you have had may opportunities to deny it,
           and because you have not denied it, you are confirming (by proxy) that it is indeed what your organization teaches.
        B) Spin.
        C) You mean this question…
           “Does your organization teach that those who are not members of your organization are not Christians?”

God bless

david
    Participant

Ed, how can my question which you don't want to answer “moot” when it is at the heart of what we were discussing. Your question on the other hand is unrelated. (unless you want to abandon this line of discussion and start another topic.)

It is as unrelated as this question which you did not answer:
    “Do you believe that JW's are Christians (followers of Christ)?”

You can't answer this question for the same reason.

Ed, very simply: A JW knocks on your door and wants to talk about what God will do in the future. Is this person a Christian (a follower of Christ)?

Ed, what do you think? Are JW's Christians. (If you want to abandon that other discussion, and if you answer this question with a yes or no answer, I will answer your question.)

Ed J
    Participant

Hi David,

I believe there are Christians outside of your organization as well as inside of your organization. (Mark 9:38-40)
    Now give me a direct answer to this question, instead of beating around the bush as you have done so far?
    “Does your organization teach that those who are not members of your organization are not Christians?”

Your brother
    in Christ, Jesus.

terraricca
    Participant

edj

1Co 1:12 What I mean is this: One of you says, “I follow Paul”; another, “I follow Apollos”; another, “I follow Cephas’”; still another, “I follow Christ.”
    1Co 1:13 Is Christ divided? Was Paul crucified for you? Were you baptized into the name of Paul?
    1Co 1:14 I am thankful that I did not baptize any of you except Crispus and Gaius,
    1Co 1:15 so no one can say that you were baptized into my name.
    1Co 1:16 (Yes, I also baptized the household of Stephanas; beyond that, I don’t remember if I baptized anyone else.)
    1Co 1:17 For Christ did not send me to baptize, but to preach the gospel—not with words of human wisdom, lest the cross of Christ be emptied of its power.

all are so called Christians but how many do what Christ ask ? and so are disciples of Christ ,are we not all (suppose to be) Christian but all do not make Christ and Gods word first,some if not many have a organization to protect and to feed ($) and so are divided in their allegiance ,just as the Jew ask Samuel for a King and rejected direct connection with God,by interposing a arrangement of men (copy from the world out side of Israel),but God trough Samuel told them the cost of such an action, so in my view this is a personal matter to chose from follow Christ and his father or do it trough an ORGANIZATION and pay the cost,of cause you are in reality representing that organization first just as the Jews with there King were now representing their national kingdom,it was no longer their God that they represented in direct action,now they could fall down to serve men rather than God ,is not this what happen ???

In a same way as soon that you create an organization you have to become loyal to that organization so that it can feed of you.and feed you with what ever they see fit,true or not ,right or wrong,mistaken or not ,this is the prize to be paid for a King or an ORGANIZATION (it is men made)

but is it the same with Christ ?? did Christ built a ORGANIZATION ?NO, did any of the apostles ?? NO,each of those true worshipers give all their glory to God and Christ directly ,sure at that time there were saints still alive and many other apostles were collecting gifts in $ for them and so ones a year or so ,it was forwarded to them in Jerusalem,this is now gone,and if there are any saints left alive I would not know ,but how can we recognize them(if they are there) ??? would it not be by telling the truth and glorify Christ and his father in truth and trust,I would say yes to that ,because that is what the early apostles did.

I find no lies or miss trust in the apostles letters or actions ,and so would expect the same of today saints if any exist.

so if the origin of the preaching is the same in many denomination or so called Christian organization it is by their practice and words that they may seen as not in line with the word of God and Christ and his apostles,and try to justify the mistakes in the organization by saying it is men mistake for some this is acceptable but for others it is not.their is a difference between God and men,after all .

so it boils down to serve God trough an instrument made by men or go directly to Christ and his father ,and serve him alone.

and as for judging others “Christians ” well as long as you belong to the same organization you should not do it ,because you are all stamped by the same mark,

whatever that organization is called that is ..

it is also normal to discuss between us coming from a different view of how to worshiping the same God ,Jehovah,only the ones that have been freed by Christ will worship God with their own spirit and soul and heart, by given deeds to what God places on their road.

Pierre

david
    Participant

“Do you believe that JW's are Christians (followers of Christ)?”…..Are JW's Christians. (If you want to abandon that other discussion, and if you answer this question with a yes or no answer, I will answer your question.)

“I believe there are Christians outside of your organization as well as inside of your organization. (Mark 9:38-40)”

This is a little ambiguous. Does that mean that JW's are Christians and also many others are Christians. Or, does it mean that some JW's are Christians?

Because you didn't answer “yes” or “no” as I asked, my guess is you are saying that later. ….you believe some JW's are Christians and others are not. Ed, as a group, JW's are doing the same thing. They go to the same meetings, read the same materials, act the same, dress the same, preach the same, believe the same, etc.

How would you make a distinction between which JW's are Christians (followers of Christ) and which are not?

And, as I asked in that private post, how would you define “Christian”?

Ed J
    Participant

Hi David,

A follower of Christ.
    I answered your question,
    but you have yet to answer mine?   …have another go at it; OK? …

Your two questions were posed in such a way to indicate this to be true; do you deny?

Question #1:

Question #2:

God bless
    Ed J

david
    Participant

Quote (david @ Oct. 09 2011,10:48)

“Do you believe that JW's are Christians (followers of Christ)?”…..Are JW's Christians.  (If you want to abandon that other discussion, and if you answer this question with a yes or no answer, I will answer your question.)

“I believe there are Christians outside of your organization as well as inside of your organization. (Mark 9:38-40)”

This is a little ambiguous.  Does that mean that JW's are Christians and also many others are Christians.  Or, does it mean that some JW's are Christians?

Because you didn't answer “yes” or “no” as I asked, my guess is you are saying that later. ….you believe some JW's are Christians and others are not.  Ed, as a group, JW's are doing the same thing.  They go to the same meetings, read the same materials, act the same, dress the same, preach the same, believe the same, etc.

How would you make a distinction between which JW's are Christians (followers of Christ) and which are not?

And, as I asked in that private post, how would you define “Christian”?

Ed, I said I would answer your question if you answered mine with a yes or no answer. I understand if you can not do that. But could you at least explain your answer so that it can not be understood in 2 completely different ways?

Also, Ed, am I a Christian?

Ed J
    Participant

Hi David,

My answer is self explanatory.
    However, you have still failed to give a forthright answer to this question…

God bless
    Ed J

david
    Participant

Ed, clearly it is not. Do I have to explain to you how your statement is ambigous? It would take you 4 seconds to clear it up.

“I believe there are Christians outside of your organization as well as inside of your organization. (Mark 9:38-40)”–ed

Since you aren't willing to say it, I will say it for you. (disagree with me if I'm wrong):
    You believe that JW's as a whole are not following Christ, and hence, are not Christian. You hold out that some JW's are Christian, but one has to wonder how you would differentiate given the very united belief system/behavior, etc.

And you refused to answer the very simple question of whether or not I am a Christian. Since you yourself judge unresponsiveness this way, should I “by proxy” infer that you are saying or teaching that I am not a Christian?

If this isn't the case, a simple “no” would suffice.

Ed J
    Participant

Quote (david @ Oct. 09 2011,11:47)
    Ed, clearly it is not.  Do I have to explain to you how your statement is ambigous?  It would take you 4 seconds to clear it up.

“I believe there are Christians outside of your organization as well as inside of your organization. (Mark 9:38-40)”–ed

Since you aren't willing to say it, I will say it for you. (disagree with me if I'm wrong):
    You believe that JW's as a whole are not following Christ, and hence, are not Christian.  You hold out that some JW's are Christian, but one has to wonder how you would differentiate given the very united belief system/behavior, etc.

And you refused to answer the very simple question of whether or not I am a Christian.  Since you yourself judge unresponsiveness this way, should I “by proxy” infer that you are saying or teaching that I am not a Christian?

If this isn't the case, a simple “no” would suffice.

Hi David,

You have dodged that question the many times I asked it to you, clearly more than seven times;
    you have yet to give me a forthright answer but instead attempted to dodge it every time.

You clearly could have said “No” they do no teach this, but that would be a 'lie' would it not?
    Therefore your refusal to deny it, proves that it is indeed what they teach; does it not?
    Is it really that hard for you to express the teachings of your organization?

My answer, was clear and concise, do you not see a difference?

God bless
    Ed J

david
    Participant

As I said:

You believe that JW's as a whole are not following Christ, and hence, are not Christian. You hold out that some JW's are Christian, but one has to wonder how you would differentiate given the very united belief system/behavior, etc.

And YOU REFUSED TO ANSWER the very simple question of whether or not I am a Christian. Since you yourself judge unresponsiveness this way, should I “by proxy” infer that you are saying or teaching that I am not a Christian?

Since you did not disagree with me, and since I told you to disagree with me if I was wrong, I must conclude that:

you don't believe very many JW's are Christians (followers of Christ) and you don't believe I am a Christian (follower of Christ) for you did not respond to that question either.

Here is the reason you keep avoiding and don't want to deal with what I am saying and asking: It would be somewhat hypocritical of you to suggest it is wrong for one person or group to say some aren't following Christ, while you, at the very same time, believe the same thing.

Protestants might call Roman Catholics “Christians” but they don't really believe that they are followers of Christ (Christians)
    RC's might call Baptists Christians, but they don't really believe they are followers of Christ (Christians)
    Trinitarians might call non-trinitarians “Christians,” but do they really believe they are followers of Christ if they disagree so strongly on who Christ is?
    Etc a hundred times.

You can't really say that some JW's are Christians while others aren't. JWs all follow the same conduct, beliefs, behaviors, attitudes, etc. If they decide to do something very wrong, and do not repent, they are no longer JW's. So, all JW's, everywhere in the world, read the same things, study the same things, believe the same things, and if you do not, then you do not stay a JW for long.

So when you say: “I believe there are Christians outside of your organization as well as inside of your organization.” I have to ask how you would distinguish between who is following Christ and who is not among JW's. In other words, how do you know they aren't all Christians? Or, why do you think any of them are Christians? And, do you really think any of them are Christians if you aren't even willing to say I am?

This is sort of getting at the heart of what you want to discuss. You have an idea about what it means to follow Christ (be a Christian). And JW's obviously have an idea about what it means to follow Christ (be a Christian).

And if people don't fall into what you think defines a Christian, then you don't think they are a Christian.
    And if people don't fall into what JW's think defines a Christian, then they don't think they are Christians.

A Christian is someone who, as you said follows Christ. This would have to mean following his teachings, commands, etc. Perhaps you have noticed that every single person on here has different ideas about those things.

terraricca
    Participant

well
    said David

david
    Participant

Quote (shimmer @ Sep. 16 2011,21:07)

Quote (david @ Sep. 16 2011,07:42)

Quote (shimmer @ Sep. 15 2011,19:21)
    Hi David.

Is it true JWs do not believe in healing?

We don't believe in miraculous healings today.  We believe those things were “done away with.”  I can discuss this more, but have only a few minutes now.

David I love talking to JWs their my favorite people to talk to always have been.

What made them decide that healings had been done away with though?

https://heavennet.net/cgi-bin/forum/ikonboard.cgi?act=ST;f=1;t=211;st=260

Page 27 of the speaking in tongues thread might answer that. I know it is about tongues mainly, but it applies to healing as well.

Viewing 20 posts - 61 through 80 (of 211 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 1999 - 2024 Heaven Net

Navigation

© 1999 - 2023 - Heaven Net
or

or    

Forgot your details?

or

Create Account