What day was the resurrection on?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 20 posts - 21 through 40 (of 90 total)
  • Author
    trettep
    Participant

Quote (Nick Hassan @ May 02 2005,02:30)
    Hi tt,
    If I said I was coming to stay with you for two days from tomorrow at 6pm would you say

” Ok then you leave at 6 pm after two days from tomorrow night”?

A little give and take will be required anyway surely?

If I said I was going to stay with you 3 days and 3 nights would you think I meant 3 days and 2 nights. If you did you would be wrong because I know if I say it that I mean it so I can only assure you that if God says it – its definately so.

Paul

NickHassan
    Participant

Hi tt,
    Would you only accept 72 exact hours?

trettep
    Participant

I accept nothing less then 3 days and 3 nights. Its a sign!

Paul

Anonymous

Hi Paul

Another example of inclusive counting, this time from Acts 10:

1 ¶ There was a certain man in Caesarea called Cornelius, a centurion of the band called the Italian band,
    2 A devout man, and one that feared God with all his house, which gave much alms to the people, and prayed to God alway.
    3 He saw in a vision evidently about the ninth hour of the day an angel of God coming in to him, and saying unto him, Cornelius.
    7 And when the angel which spake unto Cornelius was departed, he called two of his household servants, and a devout soldier of them that waited on him continually;
    8 And when he had declared all these things unto them, he sent them to Joppa.
    9 ¶ On the morrow, as they went on their journey, and drew nigh unto the city, Peter went up upon the housetop to pray about the sixth hour:
    23 Then called he them in, and lodged them. And on the morrow Peter went away with them, and certain brethren from Joppa accompanied him.
    24 And the morrow after they entered into Caesarea. And Cornelius waited for them, and had called together his kinsmen and near friends.
    30 And Cornelius said, Four days ago I was fasting until this hour; and at the ninth hour I prayed in my house, and, behold, a man stood before me in bright clothing

There were three “on the morrows” – we would normally call this three days. Yet Cornelius says four days ago, because he counts inclusively.

“Four days ago in Acts 10:30 ” didn't mean a literal 96 hours; I don't believe “three days and three nights” is literal either. Quite possibly the words “and three nights” are added as a figure of speech to emphasise the length of time of 3 (inclusive) days.

Sam

Anonymous

On Sunday 16 Abib, the men on the road to Emmaus said it was the third day since Jesus was crucified (Luke 24:21). Given that Jews counted inclusively, this has to mean that Jesus was crucified on Friday (Friday = 1, Saturday = 2, Sunday = 3).

Also, if three days and nights is supposed to be understood as a literal period, then surely the events on the road to Emmaus would have been on the fourth day afterwards. This can only be reconciled if “three days and three nights” is understood as an idiomatic expression of three (inclusively counted) days.

trettep
    Participant

Quote (Guest @ May 02 2005,03:50)
    Hi Paul

Another example of inclusive counting, this time from Acts 10:

1 ¶  There was a certain man in Caesarea called Cornelius, a centurion of the band called the Italian band,
    2  A devout man, and one that feared God with all his house, which gave much alms to the people, and prayed to God alway.
    3  He saw in a vision evidently about the ninth hour of the day an angel of God coming in to him, and saying unto him, Cornelius.
    7  And when the angel which spake unto Cornelius was departed, he called two of his household servants, and a devout soldier of them that waited on him continually;
    8  And when he had declared all these things unto them, he sent them to Joppa.
    9 ¶  On the morrow, as they went on their journey, and drew nigh unto the city, Peter went up upon the housetop to pray about the sixth hour:
    23  Then called he them in, and lodged them. And on the morrow Peter went away with them, and certain brethren from Joppa accompanied him.
    24  And the morrow after they entered into Caesarea. And Cornelius waited for them, and had called together his kinsmen and near friends.
    30  And Cornelius said, Four days ago I was fasting until this hour; and at the ninth hour I prayed in my house, and, behold, a man stood before me in bright clothing

There were three “on the morrows” – we would normally call this three days. Yet Cornelius says four days ago, because he counts inclusively.

“Four days ago in Acts 10:30 ” didn't mean a literal 96 hours; I don't believe “three days and three nights” is literal either. Quite possibly the words “and three nights” are added as a figure of speech to emphasise the length of time of 3 (inclusive) days.

Sam

Peter was right it was 4 days. I went back and checked it. And Jesus gave a sign. I figure it can be as Jesus says. So while I doubt you its only because it if 3 days and 3 nights fits why would someone believe less? Makes no sense.

Paul

trettep
    Participant

Quote (Guest @ May 02 2005,04:01)
    On Sunday 16 Abib, the men on the road to Emmaus said it was the third day since Jesus was crucified (Luke 24:21). Given that Jews counted inclusively, this has to mean that Jesus was crucified on Friday (Friday = 1, Saturday = 2, Sunday = 3).

Also, if three days and nights is supposed to be understood as a literal period, then surely the events on the road to Emmaus would have been on the fourth day afterwards. This can only be reconciled if “three days and three nights” is understood as an idiomatic expression of three (inclusively counted) days.

Again why would someone believe less than 3 days and 3 nights when they can believe 3 days and 3 nights?

Also, Sunday couldn't be the 3rd day because he rose before daybreak.

And yes the events on the road to Emmaus would be on the Fourth day. Additionally, you made a statement earlier which shows also that Sunday could not have been “changed” to the Sabbath because if it were then the two that went on the road to Emmaus would be traveling further than a sabbath day's journey. Therefore Saturday is still the Sabbath otherwise as you stated the two would be in violation of the Sabbath. Furthermore, its clear that Jesus rose before the daybreak on Sunday.

Paul

Paul

Anonymous

Are you sure? I make v30 exactly 72 hours (3 days) since Cornelius' vision.

trettep
    Participant

Quote (Guest @ May 02 2005,04:29)
    Are you sure? I make v30 exactly 72 hours (3 days) since Cornelius' vision.

I count 4 days.

Paul

trettep
    Participant

Also, when do you believe the lamb is to be slain for the Feast?

Paul

Anonymous

Quote (trettep @ May 02 2005,04:26)
    Again why would someone believe less than 3 days and 3 nights when they can believe 3 days and 3 nights?

If I said I could eat a horse, do I literally mean that? I'm suggesting that 3 days and 3 nights is also a figure of speech – otherwise there are several irreconcilable contradictions in the chronology. I mean, after all, it seems a pretty weird thing to say if you mean it literally.

Sunday went from 6pm to 6pm – the events on the road to Emmaus were definitely on the same day that Jesus was raised (Luke 24:13). Allowing for inclusive counting it can be the 3rd day.

Cheers
    Sam

trettep
    Participant

Quote (Guest @ May 02 2005,04:38)

If I said I could eat a horse, do I literally mean that? I'm suggesting that 3 days and 3 nights is also a figure of speech – otherwise there are several irreconcilable contradictions in the chronology. I mean, after all, it seems a pretty weird thing to say if you mean it literally.

Sunday went from 6pm to 6pm – the events on the road to Emmaus were definitely on the same day that Jesus was raised (Luke 24:13). Allowing for inclusive counting it can be the 3rd day.

Cheers
    Sam

I'm sure that Jesus meant 3 days and 3 nights. And again why would I believe less if it could have happened in 3 days and 3 nights? In other words why would a person want to believe less than face value? I don't understand that logic.

And Sunday would not be the 3rd day because Jesus was risen before daybreak so in the 3 days and 3 nights Sunday's day couldn't count.

Again if you choose to believe it was less than 3 days and 3 nights – go ahead – I believe its wrong. I also don't understand why anyone would.

Paul

Anonymous

3 He saw in a vision evidently about the ninth hour of the day an angel of God coming in to him, and saying unto him, Cornelius.
    9 ¶ On the morrow (one day later), as they went on their journey, and drew nigh unto the city, Peter went up upon the housetop to pray about the sixth hour:
    23 Then called he them in, and lodged them. And on the morrow (two days later) Peter went away with them, and certain brethren from Joppa accompanied him.
    24 And the morrow after (three days later) they entered into Caesarea. And Cornelius waited for them, and had called together his kinsmen and near friends.
    (still three days later)
    30 And Cornelius said, Four days ago I was fasting until this hour (so exactly 72 hours before); and at the ninth hour I prayed in my house, and, behold, a man stood before me in bright clothing

trettep
    Participant

Quote (Guest @ May 02 2005,04:44)

3  He saw in a vision evidently about the ninth hour of the day an angel of God coming in to him, and saying unto him, Cornelius.
    9 ¶  On the morrow (one day later), as they went on their journey, and drew nigh unto the city, Peter went up upon the housetop to pray about the sixth hour:
    23  Then called he them in, and lodged them. And on the morrow (two days later) Peter went away with them, and certain brethren from Joppa accompanied him.
    24  And the morrow after (three days later) they entered into Caesarea. And Cornelius waited for them, and had called together his kinsmen and near friends.
    (still three days later)
    30  And Cornelius said, Four days ago I was fasting until this hour (so exactly 72 hours before); and at the ninth hour I prayed in my house, and, behold, a man stood before me in bright clothing

He said 4 days – I don't see anywhere where it says 72 hours. But I do find Jesus saying 3 days and 3 nights.

Paul

trettep
    Participant

I don't believe you answered my questions – when was the lamb slain and be specific.

Paul

Anonymous

Quote (trettep @ May 02 2005,04:44)
    And Sunday would not be the 3rd day because Jesus was risen before daybreak so in the 3 days and 3 nights Sunday's day couldn't count.

But he says it is:

But we trusted that it had been he which should have redeemed Israel: and beside all this, to day is the third day since these things were done. (Luke 24:21)

What do you mean?

Quote (trettep @ May 02 2005,04:44)
    Again if you choose to believe it was less than 3 days and 3 nights – go ahead – I believe its wrong. I also don't understand why anyone would.

This probably isn't worth pursuing much further – it's pretty academic.

Anonymous

Quote (trettep @ May 02 2005,04:50)
    I don't believe you answered my questions – when was the lamb slain and be specific.

Afternoon of 14 Abib – Ex 12:6

trettep
    Participant

When he said it was the 3rd day since those things he was saying that its the 3rd day SINCE they were done.

But your theory has other holes I haven't gotten into yet.

Paul

Anonymous

Quote (trettep @ May 02 2005,04:49)
    He said 4 days – I don't see anywhere where it says 72 hours. But I do find Jesus saying 3 days and 3 nights.

Never mind.

trettep
    Participant

Quote (Guest @ May 02 2005,04:54)

Quote (trettep @ May 02 2005,04:49)
    He said 4 days – I don't see anywhere where it says 72 hours.  But I do find Jesus saying 3 days and 3 nights.

Never mind.

Sammo, I'm just trying to show you by you that it can be done and what the problem is with what your saying. I'm playing a student here in order to help you to understand.

Paul

Viewing 20 posts - 21 through 40 (of 90 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 1999 - 2024 Heaven Net

Navigation

© 1999 - 2023 - Heaven Net
or

or    

Forgot your details?

or

Create Account