What day was the resurrection on?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 90 total)
  • Author
    trettep
    Participant

Can anyone detail the crucifiction and resurrection such that its 3 days and 3 nights (sign of Jonah)?

Paul

NickHassan
    Participant

Hi tt,
    We know that Yeshua died at 6pm. The next day, the ONE AFTER THE PREPARATION[ Mt 27.62] the pharisees met with Pilate and repeated the promise to rise after 3 days. Next we see Yeshua late on the Sabbath risen.[Matt 28 1-6]Which is the day of “preparation”?and what relationship does it have to the sabbath?

trettep
    Participant

Quote (Nick Hassan @ May 01 2005,21:43)
    Hi tt,
    We know that Yeshua died at 6pm. The next day, the ONE AFTER THE PREPARATION[ Mt 27.62] the pharisees met with Pilate and repeated the promise to rise after 3 days. Next we see Yeshua late on the Sabbath risen.[Matt 28 1-6]Which is the day of “preparation”?and what relationship does it have to the sabbath?

So what Matt 27:62 tells you is that the particular day that is after the preparation is a Sabbath. After all that is what Preparation days are for – they prepare for the Sabbath.

So what day did Christ rise on?

Paul

Anonymous

Hi trettep

I've spent ages on this question recently. Short answer is there's pretty compelling evidence for crucifiction on Friday 14 Abib and resurrection on Sunday the 16th.

John 19:31 and others say that crucifiction took place on the day before the sabbath (Saturday); therefore the crucifiction took place on Friday.

Everyone agrees that the resurrection took place on Sunday – this is clear from Mark 16:1-2 etc.

Luke 23:56 says that after annointing Jesus (Friday), Mary etc rested on the sabbath (Saturday), and then met the resurrected Jesus on the Sunday morning (Sunday) in Luke 24.

The last supper the night before wasn't a real Passover meal, it was the first meal of Unleavened Bread as described in Ex 12:18. It's called “the passover” by Jesus (Matt 26:18 etc) because the entire 8 day period of the feast of Unleavened Bread was referred to as Passover (Luke 22:1). The time that the lambs were being slain for Passover was also when Jesus died – “Christ our Passover” (1 Cor 5:7).

Friday to Sunday is “3 days and 3 nights” because Jews count inclusively – it's not describing a literal 72 hour period. A simple example of this is 2 Kings 18:9-10, where three years after the 4th year of Hezekiah is called the 6th year of Hezekiah; there are a few other examples of this, and scholars are basically universally agreed on this.

It's suggested that the phrase “and 3 nights” is an idiomatic way of emphasising the period of 3 (inclusive) days, rather than referring to particular periods of darkness. Repitition of an idea for empasis was common for Jews, eg “dying thou shalt die” (Gen 2:17).

That's very brief, but I hope that helps.

Sam :)

trettep
    Participant

You said that it was clear He resurrected on Sunday because of these verses:

Mar 16:1 And2532 when the3588 sabbath4521 was past,1230 Mary3137 Magdalene,3094 and2532 Mary3137 the3588 mother of James,2385 and2532 Salome,4539 had bought59 sweet spices,759 that2443 they might come2064 and anoint218 him.846
    Mar 16:2 And2532 very3029 early in the morning4404 the3588 first3391 day of the3588 week,4521 they came2064 unto1909 the3588 sepulcher3419 at the rising393 of the3588 sun.2246

The problem with that is two things:

The word “week” is from Strongs 4521 which means “Sabbath”. Additionally, the word “day” is italics meaning that it was inserted by the translator. That puts a big spin on the whole things. So what it really is saying in verse Mark 16:2 is this:

Mar 16:2 And very early in the morning the first of the Sabbath, they came unto the sepulcher at the rising of the sun.

See how much that changes the meaning in that above “fixed” verse. The first there could be talking about the first hour.

How does this effect the rest of the message that you have determined?

Paul

Anonymous

Quote (trettep @ May 01 2005,22:30)
    The word “week” is from Strongs 4521 which means “Sabbath”. Additionally, the word “day” is italics meaning that it was inserted by the translator. That puts a big spin on the whole things. So what it really is saying in verse Mark 16:2 is this:

Mar 16:2 And very early in the morning the first of the Sabbath, they came unto the sepulcher at the rising of the sun.

This is Online Bible definition of 4521:

AV-sabbath day 37, sabbath 22, week 9; 68

1) the seventh day of each week which was a sacred festival on which the Israelites were required to abstain from all work
    1a) the institution of the sabbath, the law for keeping holy every seventh day of the week
    1b) a single sabbath, sabbath day
    2) seven days, a week

This word can be used of a week as a whole – do a search for “week”, this is quite clear.

Besides, “the first day of the Sabbath” doesn't make any sense – Sabbaths only lasted one day.

Luke 23:55 – 24:1 is quite clear that the women who annointed Jesus rested on the sabbath, and then met Jesus on “the first day of the week”.

55 And the women also, which came with him from Galilee, followed after, and beheld the sepulchre, and how his body was laid.
    56 And they returned, and prepared spices and ointments; and rested the sabbath day according to the commandment.
    1 ¶ Now upon the first day of the week, very early in the morning, they came unto the sepulchre, bringing the spices which they had prepared, and certain others with them.

It was this same “first day of the week”, Sunday, on which Jesus rose (Mark 16:9).

Cheers
    Sam

trettep
    Participant

I don't think you read the rest of my last post. The word “day” was italic meaning that it was added. Additionally, look up strongs word for “week” in that verse in the rest of the new testament and you will see that it always refers to the Sabbath day.

Paul

Anonymous

Hi Paul

Well, there are nine times the word week appears in the NT, and each of these is that same word sabbaton. I'll go through some of them.

In the end of the sabbath, as it began to dawn toward the first day of the week, came Mary Magdalene and the other Mary to see the sepulchre. (Matt 28:1)

At the end of the sabbath, it dawned toward the first day of the week. The first day of the week is after the sabbath.

And when the sabbath was past, Mary Magdalene, and Mary the mother of James, and Salome, had bought sweet spices, that they might come and anoint him. And very early in the morning the first day of the week, they came unto the sepulchre at the rising of the sun. (Mark 16:1-2)

When the sabbath was past, it was the first day of the week.

The Pharisee stood and prayed thus with himself, God, I thank thee, that I am not as other men are, extortioners, unjust, adulterers, or even as this publican. I fast twice in the week, I give tithes of all that I possess.

You can't fast twice on one day.

I've already quoted Luke 24:1, which was after the sabbath (Luke 23:56).

And upon the first day of the week, when the disciples came together to break bread, Paul preached unto them, ready to depart on the morrow; and continued his speech until midnight. (Acts 20:7)

Christians have always broken bread on the first day of the week – Sunday.

Sometimes I think it's easy to forget that by and large translators are pretty on to it – whenever they inserted “day”, it was for a good reason.

Sam

Anonymous

ps – no one would travel 7 miles on the sabbath (Luke 24:1,13).

trettep
    Participant

If Sunday was the day He rose that means that Jesus was in the tomb for:

Sunday (evening)
    Saturay (eve and day)
    Friday (eve and day
    Thursday (day)

That sound correct?

Paul

Anonymous

Quote (trettep @ May 01 2005,23:45)
    If Sunday was the day He rose that means that Jesus was in the tomb for:

Sunday (evening)
    Saturay (eve and day)
    Friday (eve and day
    Thursday (day)

I agree with the first two lines, but I think Jesus was probably buried sometime after 5pm and before 6pm on Friday, right before the Sabbath began (days began at 6pm).

I believe it was on Friday for the reasons I gave above.

Also, we know that Jesus died at the ninth hour (Luke 23:44-46), which equates to 3pm. This leaves a 3 hour window for the women to annoint his body with spices, and for Jospeh of Arimathea to bury him, before they “rested according to the commandment”.

This means that even if you want to count literal days and nights, the first “day” that Jesus was in the tomb was an extremely short period of time. You'd have to be pretty pedantic to count this as one “day” of “three days and three nights”. But the fact that Jews counted inclusively means you don't have to, I think. The phrase “three days and three nights” is most likely idiomatic.

There's plenty on the net about counting inclusively, if you're interested.

trettep
    Participant

Can you show me a breakdown so I can better understand. Make one similiar to the one I made. I'm having a hard to picturing it.

Paul

Anonymous

Hi Paul

Friday 14 Abib, 9am – crucified
    Friday 14 Abib, 3pm – dies
    Friday 14 Abib, 3pm to 6pm – prepared for burial, buried

Saturday 15 Abib, 6pm – Sabbath begins

Sunday 16 Abib, 6pm – Sunday begins
    Sunday 16 Abib, “early in the morning” – Jesus rises, meets disciples

I hope that was what you were after

God bless
    Sam

trettep
    Participant

Quote (Guest @ May 02 2005,00:49)
    Hi Paul

Friday 14 Abib, 9am – crucified
    Friday 14 Abib, 3pm – dies
    Friday 14 Abib, 3pm to 6pm – prepared for burial, buried

Saturday 15 Abib, 6pm – Sabbath begins

Sunday 16 Abib, 6pm – Sunday begins
    Sunday 16 Abib, “early in the morning” – Jesus rises, meets disciples

I hope that was what you were after

God bless
    Sam

I don't find the sign of Jonah in that situation. Therefore its not going to work.

Paul

trettep
    Participant

So which day would be Passover?

Paul

NickHassan
    Participant

Hi, How can we be sure that the verse in Jonah [1.17] applies to 3 days and nights as we would understand that phrase?

trettep
    Participant

Cause Jesus says so:

Mat 12:40 For as Jonah was three days and three nights in the whale's belly; so shall the Son of man be three days and three nights in the heart of the earth.

Paul

Anonymous

Quote (trettep @ May 02 2005,01:52)
    I don't find the sign of Jonah in that situation. Therefore its not going to work.

Quote (Nick @ May 02 2005,02:00)
    Hi, How can we be sure that the verse in Jonah [1.17] applies to 3 days and nights as we would understand that phrase?

Yes – exactly. The sign of Jonah doesn't mean a literal 72 hours, or even 3 literal periods of dark and light.

Quote (trettep @ May 02 2005,01:52)
    So which day would be Passover?

Friday.

trettep
    Participant

I believe the sign of Jonah to be 3 days and 3 nights. I have a tought time not believing what is clearly stated in Mark:

Mat 12:40 For as Jonah was three days and three nights in the whale's belly; so shall the Son of man be three days and three nights in the heart of the earth.

Additionally, that was the given “sign” – so I think I will continue to believe that is what we must look for.

I hope you can explain it again from that standpoint.

Paul

NickHassan
    Participant

Hi tt,
    If I said I was coming to stay with you for two days from tomorrow at 6pm would you say

” Ok then you leave at 6 pm after two days from tomorrow night”?

A little give and take will be required anyway surely?

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 90 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 1999 - 2024 Heaven Net

Navigation

© 1999 - 2023 - Heaven Net
or

or    

Forgot your details?

or

Create Account