Understanding the Holy Spirit?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 20 posts - 41 through 60 (of 137 total)
  • Author
    NickHassan
    Participant

Hi cubes,
    I love the simple order and harmony that God brings into our lives. We are helped and supplied and guarded from pitfalls. Instead of frustration there is always a meaning to everything that happens. Sometimes we get amazing insights about situations that are not from us but help us help others.

I love the description of wisdom standing at the crossroads, at the gates of the city and the doorways.[prov 8.1-3]That is commonsense, which some religious people abandon in their quest for spiritual things and risk their mental health.

God loves simplicity. It is wisdom to seek His will.

Cubes
    Participant

Quote (Nick Hassan @ Mar. 02 2005,20:25)
    Hi cubes,
    I love the simple order and harmony that God brings into our lives. We are helped and supplied and guarded from pitfalls. Instead of frustration there is always a meaning to everything that happens. Sometimes we get amazing insights about situations that are not from us but help us help others.

I love the description of wisdom standing at the crossroads, at the gates of the city and the doorways.[prov 8.1-3]That is commonsense, which some religious people abandon in their quest for spiritual things and risk their mental health.

God loves simplicity. It is wisdom to seek His will.

Thank God for the holy spirit and all that God accomplishes in us through him.

bic
    Participant

I tend to believe that there is a trinity and that the Holy Spirit and Jesus are different persons. Jesus explained it many times by referring to the Holy Spirit as “he” and the “comforter” designating a separateness. Also, Jesus says that sins against the Father and of the Son will be forgiven, but total blasphemy against the Holy Spirit will not be forgiven; further defining a belief, amongst countless other scriptures, in a triune God, but always one God.

Actually, Jesus NEVER referred to THE Holy Spirit as a HE. It is ONLY in the Gospel of John that THE Holy Spirit is personalized. The correct translation is 'IT”.

Have you not noticed that ALL of the names for THE Holy Spirit are DESCRIPTIVE names. It has no PERSONAL name. We do not say “COMFORTER” but rather “THE COMFORTER”. We do not say “HOLY GHOST”, we say “THE HOLY GHOST”. Jesus and God, however HAVE personal names. We do not say “THE JESUS” or “THE GOD” but rather we say “JESUS” or “GOD” or “JEHOVAH”. However, both God and Jesus also have descriptive names, such as “THE SON OF GOD” or “THE LAMB OF GOD” or “THE ALPHA AND THE OMEGA”.

How many times have you read THE Holy Spirit OF God? How many times have you read THE Jesus OF God? So, what's the difference between Jesus and the Holy Spirit? Simple. One is a PERSON, the other is a THING.

The TRINITY only exists because it was fabricated by men. It is NOT a scriptural doctrine, nor is it a scriptural fact. It is ONLY a TRIBUTE to an ancient pagan belief, pre-dating the Babylonian period (Sumerian, perhaps?). What purpose does it serve? Does it HONOR God? Not even remotely. In fact, it DISHONORS Him.

Sorry, if I acted (or sounded) TOUCHY. :D

As far as experiencing the presence and anointing of the Holy Spirit I had often been lacking in such an anointing; perhaps due to doubt or disbelief in the tongues and the like. After experiencing it for myself I have since changed my mind and have come to a new realization of the wonderful working power of God's Spirit.

How wonderful that you have found the life-changing, shackle-breaking, mountain-moving POWER that God imbues in all who faithfully come to Him! Praise God! What surprises me, however, is that after experiencing the POWER of God (His Spirit), you STILL hold on to that man-made doctrine. Perhaps the Spirit is even now working to bring you to a FULLER understanding. May He (God, THROUGH HIS Spirit) lead you into all truth.

Also, Jesus says that sins against the Father and of the Son will be forgiven, but total blasphemy against the Holy Spirit will not be forgiven; further defining a belief, amongst countless other scriptures, in a triune God, but always one God.

Actually, just the opposite. Why is blasphemy against the HS unforgivable but not blasphemy against Jesus or God? It's simple really. Only those NOT knowing God or Jesus could speak out against them. As Jesus said on the cross, “Father, forgive them, for they KNOW NOT what they do [or say]”. However, one who has been filled with God's Spirit KNOWS both the Father and the Son, and has no excuse. IF that person should DENY or DISCREDIT what he KNOWS to be true, he has become of a reprobate mind and will never return to serve the Lord. Indeed, this is EXACTLY what is meant by this verse in Hebrews:

Heb:6:4 For it is impossible for those who were once enlightened, and have
    tasted of the heavenly gift, and were made partakers of the Holy Ghost, 6:5 And have tasted the good word of God, and the powers of the world to come,
    6:6 If they shall fall away, to renew them again unto repentance; seeing they crucify to themselves the Son of God afresh, and put him to an open shame.

As far as the Spirit working, I'm living proof that it does. It has spared my life several times. Though others could say that I was just lucky or that it was coincidence, I KNOW it to be the wonderful working power of the Holy Ghost. Amen and praise God! Let others doubt, as they will, my faith has not been shaken, but it sure has been stirred.

What's ironic to me, is that I was filled with the HG (I SANG in tongues and it was a recognizable language (French) and NOT some angelic tongue) in a ONENESS Pentecostal church. I didn't find out that they didn't believe in the Trinity until years later, long after I had moved and left that denomination (the UPC). Like a woman's FIRST love, they will always be dear to me. They don't have ALL the truth (which denom does?) but they sure know how to worship God and the POWER of the HS is alive and well and kicking. If you believe that aspirin can cure a headache or Tums can soothe a stomach, you better well believe that the HS can cures greater things than these.

NickHassan
    Participant

Good stuff in there bic,
    Interesting comment from John saying the Spirit did not exist till Jesus was glorified. He was quoting John 7.38f
    “He who believes in me , as the scripture said, 'From his innermost being will flow rivers of living water' But this he spoke of the Spirit,whom those who believed in him were to receive;for the Spirit was NOT YET GIVEN, because Jesus was not yet glorified”

Well of course the Prophets had been anointed with the same Spirit and Jesus had been filled with the Spirit so John was not correct.
    But it does highlight that it was the Spirit of Jesus. Somehow it mattered that the Spirit that filled Jesus had to be poured out on us rather than a fresh outpouring. Who can give light here?

NickHassan
    Participant

ps Perhaps it relates to the Elijah connection to John the Baptist?

liljon
    Participant

Holy spirit personal name is Yahweh

NickHassan
    Participant

Hi liljon,
    Yes it is entirely logical you would deduce that though it is not revealed. So what is the Son of God Jesus? Is he just a body for God?

Proclaimer
    Participant

Quote (liljon @ Mar. 05 2005,16:38)
    Holy spirit personal name is Yahweh

That maybe so Lijon.

But when the Trinity doctrine becomes the template that scripture must fit into, it nullifies the idea that one can search for truth from God.

As it is written: “How can the man know the deep things of God unless God's Spirit reveals it”. There is no way that we can use man-made doctrine to make the doctrine of Christ fit into. Are we greater than Christ? Are we greater than God?

Certainly anything that a man says must fit with God's revealed truth, before it can be considered true. It is the pride of Man that thinks he can analyse God as if he were something we can put into a test tube. This is why man is always making idols.

NickHassan
    Participant

Hi,
    Why are we called Temples of the Holy Spirit?
    1Cor 3.16
    ” Do you not know that you are a temple of God, and that the Spirit of God dwells in you?”
    But we do not worship the Spirit but the Spirit of God helps us worship God.[Rom 8]

Randy
    Participant

Quote (t8 @ Jan. 29 2004,11:18)
    Hi solosott,

1) How do we know that Jehovah and not Yahweh is God's name.
    2) How do you know that God's Spirit is not a person if the Spirit is referred to as him. You do point out that forces or things are often referred to as a person, but how do you know that the Spirit is not a person.

I refer you to the following scriptures. An explantion for these verses would be helpful.

John 14:26
    But the Counselor, the Holy Spirit, whom the Father will send in my name, will teach you all things and will remind you of everything I have said to you.

John 4:24
    God is spirit, and his worshipers must worship in spirit and in truth.”

2 Corinthians 3:17
    Now the Lord is the Spirit, and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is freedom.

Isaiah 6:8-10
    8 Then I heard the voice of the Lord (Anonay) saying, “Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?”
    And I said, “Here am I. Send me!”
    9 He said, “Go and tell this people:
    ” 'Be ever hearing, but never understanding;
    be ever seeing, but never perceiving.'
    10 Make the heart of this people calloused;
    make their ears dull
    and close their eyes.  
    Otherwise they might see with their eyes,
    hear with their ears,
    understand with their hearts,
    and turn and be healed.”

And

Acts 28:25-27
    25 They disagreed among themselves and began to leave after Paul had made this final statement: “The Holy Spirit spoke the truth to your forefathers when he said through Isaiah the prophet:
    26 ” 'Go to this people and say,
    “You will be ever hearing but never understanding;
    you will be ever seeing but never perceiving.”
    27 For this people's heart has become calloused;
    they hardly hear with their ears,
    and they have closed their eyes.
    Otherwise they might see with their eyes,
    hear with their ears,
    understand with their hearts
    and turn, and I would heal them.'

I am meditating on the Spirit of God and who/what he is. I recently read the above verses. How do they fit into your theology?

Hi t8
    After meditating, on this issue, and considering the verses, have you arrived at any conclusions?

Randy
    Participant

Quote (Nick Hassan @ Mar. 04 2005,06:57)
    Well of course the Prophets had been anointed with the same Spirit and Jesus had been filled with the Spirit so John was not correct.

Hi Nick
    It does seem that John was not correct. So is inspired scripture sometimes wrong?

NickHassan
    Participant

Quote (Randy @ Aug. 20 2005,14:32)

Quote (Nick Hassan @ Mar. 04 2005,06:57)

Hi Nick
    It does seem that John was not correct. So is inspired scripture sometimes wrong?

Hi,
    No. Not John the apostle or John the baptist but John the writer in this forum. God amazingly used men to write the Word of God by the Spirit without flaw.

NickHassan
    Participant

Quote (John @ Feb. 03 2004,21:45)
    Hello to everyone,

Jesus and the Holy Spirit are the same.

John 14:17-18 Even the Spirit of truth; whom the world cannot receive, because it seeth him not, neither knoweth him: but ye know him; for he dwelleth with you, and shall be in you. I will not leave you comfortless: I will come to you.

Jesus here was speaking of the coming Holy Spirit. He told the disciples that they know Him. Who did the disciples know? They knew Jesus.

Then Jesus says, “I will not leave you comfortless, I will come to you.”

The Holy Spirit came to be at the glorification of Jesus, prior to that there was no Holy Spirit.

John 7:39 He was speaking of the Spirit which those who believed in him were to receive; for there was no Spirit as yet because Jesus had not yet been glorified.

A spirit is a mind dealing with thought.

Ephesians 4:23 And be renewed in the spirit of your mind.

To be holy is to be set apart such as we see in holiday. Holiday a day that has been set apart from all the other days.

The glorified mind of Christ is now a mind that is Holy and set apart, prior to His resurrection it was not so.

Philippians 2:5 Let this mind be in you, which was also in Christ Jesus.

1 Corinthians 2:16 For who hath known the mind of the Lord, that he may instruct him? But we have the mind of Christ.

Romans 8:9 But ye are not in the flesh, but in the Spirit, if so be that the Spirit of God dwell in you. Now if any man have not the Spirit of Christ, he is none of his.

1 Peter 1:11 searching what time or what manner of time the Spirit of Christ which was in them did point unto, when it testified beforehand the sufferings of Christ, and the glories that should follow them.

Jesus is the Holy Spirit that will reveal the deep things of His Father to all who have ears to hear.

2 Corinthians 3:16-17 Nevertheless when one turns to the Lord, the veil is taken away. Now the Lord is the Spirit; and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.

Truth in love,
    John

(Edited by John at 12:46 pm on Feb. 4, 2004)

This is the John I wrote of.

Randy
    Participant

Quote (Nick Hassan @ Aug. 20 2005,20:34)
    No. Not John the apostle or John the baptist but John the writer in this forum. God amazingly used men to write the Word of God by the Spirit without flaw.

Hi Nick
    Several times I thought I found a flaw. But so far it turns out that I'm the one thats flawed.

NickHassan
    Participant

Hi Randy,
    I grew up in a denomination that preached the Word but in a context that it was only a part of the truth. Their traditions were regarded as equal in validity.
    I was born again and had my eyes opened to the completeness, the beauty and the essential integrity of the Word and I have never lost that wide eyed wonder since then. It is for me the greatest proof of the existence of God.
    I hate the way it is treated by many who call themselves Christ's followers. They use it and abuse it and show no respect for it or the author who crafted it so wonderfully.

NickHassan
    Participant

Hi,
    2 Peter 1.21
    “for no prophecy was ever made by an act of human will, but men, moved by the Holy Spirit spoke from God”
    So God speaks and works through those anointed by His Spirit despite their human frailties..

NickHassan
    Participant

Hi,
    1 Thess 4.7f
    ” For God has not called us for the purpose of impurity, but in sanctification. Consequently, he who rejects this is not rejecting man but the God who gives HIS Holy Spirit to you”

Paul speaks what is given to him in Jesus by the Holy Spirit. The Holy Spirit is of God and comes from God and is the Spirit of God at work among God's people.

The Spirit is not a person ever separate from the being of God.

NickHassan
    Participant

Hi,
    1 Cor 14.1
    “…yet desire earnestly spiritual gifts..”
    1Cor 12.31
    ” But earnestly desire the greater gifts..”
    1Cor 12.7
    ” But to each one is given the manifestation of the Spirit for the common good”
    1Cor 12.13
    ” For by one Spirit we were baptised into one body, whether Jews or Greeks, whether slaves or free we were all made to drink of one Spirit”

Acts 19
    ” Did you receive the holy Spirit when you were baptised?”

NickHassan
    Participant

Hi One Spirit,
    This is some of what scripture says about spiritual gifts. But:Should we seek them? Should we seek them earnestly? Can we produce fruit of ourselves or is it the Fruit of the Spirit God is interested in? How can we produce fruit from what we do not have… because we do not seek?
    The tribunal of Christ is to see what profit we produce from the investment God puts in us when He gives us the talents. What are the talents?
    Are they of us or of God?
    Surely they are from the Spirit of God.
    What is the fruit the gardener searches for from the tree before it is cut down?
    The fruit of the Spirit.

But “to whom much has been given from him much will be expected”

Ramblinrose
    Participant

The following article may prove interesting for some.

http://www.geocities.com/Athens/Olympus/5257/indwelli.htm

Viewing 20 posts - 41 through 60 (of 137 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 1999 - 2024 Heaven Net

Navigation

© 1999 - 2023 - Heaven Net
or

or    

Forgot your details?

or

Create Account