Understanding scripture

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 20 posts - 121 through 140 (of 365 total)
  • Author
    terraricca
    Participant

edj

read this and understand;Ps 119:89 Your word, O LORD, is eternal;
    it stands firm in the heavens.
    Ps 119:90 Your faithfulness continues through all generations;
    you established the earth, and it endures.
    Ps 119:91 Your laws endure to this day,
    for all things serve you.
    Ps 119:92 If your law had not been my delight,
    I would have perished in my affliction.
    Ps 119:93 I will never forget your precepts,
    for by them you have preserved my life.
    Ps 119:94 Save me, for I am yours;

Elizabeth
    Participant

Quote (Elizabeth @ May 02 2010,03:25)
    Pentecost was the fulfilment of the promised comforter, the Holy Spirit.

Jhn 14:16 And I will pray the Father, and he shall give you another Comforter, that he may abide with you for ever;  

Jhn 14:17 Even the Spirit of truth; whom the world cannot receive, because it seeth him not, neither knoweth him: but ye know him; for he dwelleth with you, and shall be in you.  

Jhn 16:7   Nevertheless I tell you the truth; It is expedient for you that I go away: for if I go not away, the Comforter will not come unto you; but if I depart, I will send him unto you.  

Do you understand why it was important for Jesus to ascent to heaven first?
    It was only after God excepted his sacrifice, would he send us his Holy Spirit.

Jhn 15:26  But when the Comforter is come, whom I will send unto you from the Father, even the Spirit of truth, which proceedeth from the Father, he shall testify of me:  

Jhn 14:26 But the Comforter, which is the Holy Ghost, whom the Father will send in my name, he shall teach you all things, and bring all things to your remembrance, whatsoever I have said unto you.

It is only through the Holy Spirit that we will understand anything, pertaining to the gospel.

But it was not Christs second coming.

Georg

I wonder why no one commented on this post?

Georg

terraricca
    Participant

Quote (Elizabeth @ May 05 2010,01:50)

Jhn 14:16 And I will pray the Father, and he shall give you another Comforter, that he may abide with you for ever;  

Jhn 14:17 Even the Spirit of truth; whom the world cannot receive, because it seeth him not, neither knoweth him: but ye know him; for he dwelleth with you, and shall be in you.  

Jhn 16:7   Nevertheless I tell you the truth; It is expedient for you that I go away: for if I go not away, the Comforter will not come unto you; but if I depart, I will send him unto you.  

Jhn 15:26  But when the Comforter is come, whom I will send unto you from the Father, even the Spirit of truth, which proceedeth from the Father, he shall testify of me:  

Jhn 14:26 But the Comforter, which is the Holy Ghost, whom the Father will send in my name, he shall teach you all things, and bring all things to your remembrance, whatsoever I have said unto you.

It is only through the Holy Spirit that we will understand anything, pertaining to the gospel.

Georg

Georg

georg

your scriptures are well said.

your comment is not clear ;It is only through the Holy Spirit that we will understand anything, pertaining to the gospel

my question is ;is not the gospel the works of the holy spirit?

Elizabeth
    Participant

Quote (terraricca @ May 05 2010,02:28)

Georg

Georg

georg

your comment is not clear ;It is only through the Holy Spirit that we will understand anything, pertaining to the gospel

The writers of the word were inspired by the Holy Spirit, but it is the word of God.
    Knowing the word is not the same as understanding it.

Georg

NickHassan
    Participant

Hi Georg,
    Do you understand it??

terraricca
    Participant

Quote (Elizabeth @ May 06 2010,00:49)

Georg

Georg

georg

The writers of the word were inspired by the Holy Spirit, but it is the word of God.

Georg

georg

that s true but the way to understanding is written in the word,
    and if you want to understand it then the word says apply what is written and you understand my wisdom.

conclution;if you do not apply you do not get the understanding.

Elizabeth
    Participant

Quote (Nick Hassan @ May 06 2010,06:38)
    Hi Georg,
    Do you understand it??

YES

Georg

Elizabeth
    Participant

Quote (terraricca @ May 06 2010,14:04)

Georg

Georg

georg

Georg

georg

and if you want to understand it then the word says apply what is written and you understand my wisdom.

If, by applying, you mean living a godly life? yes, that of course is the first thing one needs to do, but, the second thing is even more important, BELIEVING WHAT THE WORD SAYS. Any one that turns things around is in essence calling God a liar; do you think God will give his Holy Spirit to any one calling him a liar?

Georg

terraricca
    Participant

Quote (Elizabeth @ May 06 2010,22:41)

Georg

Georg

georg

Georg

georg

If, by applying, you mean living a godly life? yes, that of course is the first thing one needs to do, but, the second thing is even more important, BELIEVING WHAT THE WORD SAYS. Any one that turns things around is in essence calling God a liar; do you think God will give his Holy Spirit to any one calling him a liar?

Georg

georg

you right but your statement as to include yourself

conclusion;if you do not apply you do not get the understanding

my quote does not leave anything out in my view.

you have to apply what the word says ,this statement does not leave nothing out,

so your answer is devious and subjective

the essence of the scriptures is "Jesus Christ"

NickHassan
    Participant

Quote (Elizabeth @ May 06 2010,22:34)

Hi Georg,
    Do you understand it??

YES

Georg

But Georg,
    You told us priests serve kings??
    Do you think you understand scripture??

Elizabeth
    Participant

Quote (terraricca @ May 07 2010,02:46)

Georg

Georg

georg

Georg

georg

Georg

georg

you have to apply what the word says ,this statement does not leave nothing out,

You would only be right if you could prove that I don't go by scripture; not only that, I always give my understanding along with scripture, very few others here do that.

Georg

Elizabeth
    Participant

Quote (Nick Hassan @ May 07 2010,06:44)

Quote (Elizabeth @ May 06 2010,22:34)

Hi Georg,
    Do you understand it??

YES

Georg

But Georg,
    You told us priests serve kings??
    Do you think you understand scripture??

Yes Nick

You see, the millennium is like ancient Israel where Moses would get instructions from God in the tabernacle; he then would go out and pass this on to the priest, the Levite's, they in turn would go out into the camp and teach the whole nation.
    In the millennium, Jesus will give the instruction to the "great multitude, Rev. 7:9, the priest class; they in turn will go to the people and teach all.
    The 144000, the king class, will be trained as rulers for the future, "then" the priests will serve them.

Georg

david
    Participant

I started a similar discussion a while back on understanding scripture. I called it "rules for Bible interpretation."
    https://heavennet.net/cgi-bin….14;st=0

Nick, I am interested in your questions about asking questions and getting no responses.

One observation I would make is that there is more pressure being applied to demand an immediate response to a question. Bearing in mind that we are discussing the most precious words ever written should we always expect instant responses?
    Would that not show that we do not want proper consideration to the question asked or enough thorough research done on those questions?
    Does that show the respect to the person asked, or of the Word of God itself?
    Would it not also suggest that we were involved rather in a competition to prove ourselves and our own beliefs rather than to find the real truth?

Of course this is not a competition and of course we should not demand an immediate response.

BUT, if the person we are conversing with has a STRONG opinion on the subject and they can't answer why, what are we to do with you? Further, if the person, instead of answering (because he can't) attacks completely separate things, attacks you, attacks other unrelated beliefs of yours, what are we to do? My response to you is usually to make it obvious that they can't answer and then point out that you are attacking me either out of frustration or anger or as a distraction technique. Is it wrong of me to do that?

Nick, I understand why you are stating such things:

Bearing in mind that we are discussing the most precious words ever written should we always expect instant responses?
    Would that not show that we do not want proper consideration to the question asked or enough thorough research done on those questions?

I have been on here for years. I have literally 50-100 times asked you why you only ask questions but rarely answer them. You often say to me and others who are frustrated with this (and there have been a few others over the years) that you are a moderator and it is your job to moderate and encourage discussions. BUT, my problem with that is, you don't moderate. You do just what everyone else does, and you have strong opinions on things that you sometimes refuse to answer. If you just moderated, then your reasoning would be sound. But since you have opinions and voice them, it is not inappropriate for someone to ask for scriptural proof and to sincerely want an answer.

Proclaimer
    Participant

Debates can solve that problem.

If they don't debate something they are teaching, then they are not confident (lack of faith) in their teaching.

If they do debate, they have to answer or give up.

I can almost see it now. A member is skirting around the issue or conveniently ignoring a question. Then they get an invitation to a dreaded debate. Now they have to respond with 'I give up' or they give you their best shot.

Either way you get a response.

It also eliminates any possibility that the other person is just missing the questions due to the numerous other posts around it.

Arnold
    Participant

Quote (Nick Hassan @ Jan. 25 2005,06:26)
    Hi,
    It is good to see that there is a vigorous and interactive series of debates going on in the forum. Many new members and guests are contributing valuable insights.
    One observation I would make is that there is more pressure being applied to demand an immediate response to a question. Bearing in mind that we are discussing the most precious words ever written should we always expect instant responses?
    Does that show the respect to the person asked, or of the Word of God itself?
    Would it not also suggest that we were involved rather in a competition to prove ourselves and our own beliefs rather than to find the real truth?
    Many also seem to believe that a large number of words strengthens a case. If it is simple it can be simply shown. The Word of God is for children so if deep explanation is required it suggests that we have wandered off the path of truth.
    Some offer human wisdom and rationalisations salted with scripture but not based on it. These are seductive in their appeal. I prefer to see the Word of God rightly divided with scripture allowed to interpret itself.
    I do not know anyone who knows everything about the Word and can explain all scriptures so we all need to have the humility to realise that we can all be found wanting as we pursue the quest for understanding. To show gentleness whenever possible while we journey together would seem wise though there are some who show such disrespect for the Word that it is difficult to do so. Their hatred for God manifests itself in this way.
    I would like to start a debate on how to approach scripture in the hope that we would not continue to waste energy on hot air and really agree on a basis for that discernment of scripture.
    We already seem to assume this unity in our discussions without the evidence that we share it and it can be the cause of unnecessary division.
    2Peter 1.20-21,3.16, 1Peter 3.15.

Nick

I for one, do not expect an immediate answer to anything, but, if an answer is given, it should be subject related, and not changed for what ever reason.
    Also, as you have done many times to me, you flat out reject what I say without proven me wrong.
    I am willing to debate any subject, and, while I tell you what I believe, I also give you my reason, scriptures, why I believe, what I believe; as should be done by any one.
    My admitted disrespect for you in the past, was due to the totally inconsideration you gave me to what I said.
    Many have come to this forum, and are now gone, not to learn or share, but to indoctrinate, I have opposed them and challenged them, and at times ridiculed them, that is my nature, that is how I respond to complete nonsense.
    I'm looking forward to be challenged by you in the future, just remember what you said here.

Georg

NickHassan
    Participant

Hi Georg,
    Opinions based on one verse are not relevant.
    Scripture interprets itself if folk would only hold back from expressing personal opinions.

Arnold
    Participant

Nick

I see you were just fooling everybody with that fine introduction, you had no intention doing what you suggested for everybody else to do, it's sad, but not surprising.
    My mistake for not checking the date.

Georg

NickHassan
    Participant

Hi Georg,
    Why not rethink your approach.
    If you seek support for your ideas find more support in scripture first.

terraricca
    Participant

Quote (Elizabeth @ May 07 2010,11:31)

Georg

Georg

georg

Georg

georg

Georg

georg

You would only be right if you could prove that I don't go by scripture; not only that, I always give my understanding along with scripture, very few others here do that.

Georg

georg

here it is ;i mean your answer to your question;Mat 24:32 ¶ Now learn a parable of the fig tree; When his branch is yet tender, and putteth forth leaves, ye know that summer is nigh:

The Fig tree symbolises Israel, it put forth leaves in 1948

Pierre

Arnold
    Participant

Quote (terraricca @ May 28 2010,02:42)

Quote (Elizabeth @ May 07 2010,11:31)

Georg

Georg

georg

Georg

georg

Georg

georg

Georg

georg

here it is ;i mean your answer to your question;Mat 24:32 ¶ Now learn a parable of the fig tree; When his branch is yet tender, and putteth forth leaves, ye know that summer is nigh:

The Fig tree symbolises Israel, it put forth leaves in 1948

Pierre

That's what I have always said; so what is your problem?

Georg

Viewing 20 posts - 121 through 140 (of 365 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 1999 - 2024 Heaven Net

Navigation

© 1999 - 2023 - Heaven Net
or

or    

Forgot your details?

or

Create Account