Understanding Jesus as God

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 199 total)
  • Author
    John
    Participant

Understanding Jesus as God

To understand Jesus as God we will start with the first commandment.

Exodus 20:3 Thou shalt have no other gods before me.

Notice how our heavenly Father says no other gods with an "s", that means there are other gods out there.

2 Corinthians 4:4 In whom the god of this world hath blinded the minds of them which believe not, lest the light of the glorious gospel of Christ, who is the image of God, should shine unto them.

Don’t think of the word god as being a person but rather think of it as being a title or position of authority.

Our Father is telling us in the first commandment not to have anyone or anything rule in our lives in His place.

To have someone or something rule in your life means it has authority over you, in other words, it controls you and you allow it to.

Our Father says in the first commandment that this should not be so.

The only authority we should have governing our lives is the authority of our heavenly Father.

Now, we know our heavenly Father is Spirit.

John 4:24 God is a Spirit: and they that worship him must worship him in spirit and in truth.

Spirit has to do with thoughts, thoughts have to do with words.

When our Father speaks words these words carry His authority.

When our Father anoints someone or something to speak His words, that person is given the title god whether he be an angel or a man.

John 10:34-35 Jesus answered them, Is it not written in your law, I said, Ye are gods? If he called them gods, unto whom the word of God came, and the scripture cannot be broken;

If you are called by the Father to bring His word, He gives you the title of authority to act and do His will.

Our Father has even given this title to angels who are standing in for the Father at certain times.

Exodus 23:20-22 Behold, I send an Angel before thee, to keep thee in the way, and to bring thee into the place which I have prepared. Beware of him, and obey his voice, provoke him not; for he will not pardon your transgressions: for My name is in him. But if thou shalt indeed obey his voice, and do all that I speak; then I will be an enemy unto thine enemies, and an adversary unto thine adversaries.

Our Father gives His name or authority to whom He uses to bring His word.

Jesus was given the title of authority because He did His Fathers will, He spoke His Father’s words.

John 7:16 Jesus answered them and said, "My doctrine is not Mine, but His who sent Me.

John 14:24 He that loveth me not keepeth not my sayings: and the word which ye hear is not mine, but the Father’s which sent me.

Jesus learned obedience through the things that He suffered which gave Him the right to the title given to Him by His Father.

Hebrews 5:8 though He was a Son, yet He learned obedience by the things which He suffered.

Acts 2:36 "Therefore let all the house of Israel know assuredly that God has made this Jesus, whom you crucified, both Lord and Christ.”

Jesus’ Father made Jesus Lord and Christ.

John 20:17 Jesus saith unto her, Touch me not; for I am not yet ascended to my Father: but go to my brethren, and say unto them, I ascend unto my Father, and your Father; and to my God, and your God.

Jesus has a God, it’s His Father.

Ephesians 1:20-22 Which he wrought in Christ, when he raised him from the dead, and set him at his own right hand in the heavenly places, Far above all principality, and power, and might, and dominion, and every name that is named, not only in this world, but also in that which is to come: And hath put all things under his feet, and gave him to be the head over all things to the church,

The Father and God of Jesus gave Jesus authority over all names, dominions, powers and principalities. God the Father of Jesus put all things under Him in other words, Jesus is given the title of authority.

Why would the Father give Jesus authority over all things?

1 Corinthians 15:27-28 For he hath put all things under his feet. But when he saith, all things are put under him, it is manifest that he is accepted, which did put all things under him. Now when all things are made subject to Him, then the Son Himself will also be subject to Him who put all things under Him, that God may be all in all.

The Father put all things under the authority of Jesus and then Jesus made Himself subject to His Father so that the Father may be all in all, in other words, so He can restore His creation.

So you see, Jesus is God because He was obedient to the Father’s will in being a vessel used by the Father to bring His word to us.

How was Jesus able to bring the truth about our heavenly Father to us? Because Jesus was given the Spirit without measure.

John 3:34 For he whom God hath sent speaketh the words of God: for God giveth not the Spirit by measure unto him.

Jesus is the only one the Father is pleased to have rule over our lives and the Father is the only one who rules over Jesus’ life.

Jesus is not the Father and the Father is not the Son. The Father and the Son are one in will and in purpose.

John 10:30 I and my Father are one.

They are one in will and in purpose just as we can be one with Jesus and the Father in will and purpose, this is why Jesus came.

John 17:20-22 "I do not pray for these alone, but also for those who will believe in Me through their word "that they all may be one, as You, Father, are in Me, and I in You; that they also may be one in Us, that the world may believe that You sent Me. "And the glory which You gave Me I have given them, that they may be one just as We are one:

Jesus is our Father in the sense that He is the Father of everlasting life, He authored it.

Hebrews 12:2 Looking unto Jesus the author and finisher of our faith; who for the joy that was set before him endured the cross, despising the shame, and is set down at the right hand of the throne of God.

Jesus is the Father of everlasting life because He brought it about, in other words, He is the father of it just like Satan is the father of lies because he was the first to lie, he authored it.

Isaiah 9:6-7 For unto us a child is born, unto us a son is given: and the government shall be upon his shoulder: and his name shall be called Wonderful, Counselor, The mighty God, the everlasting Father, The Prince of Peace. Of the increase of his government and peace there shall be no end, upon the throne of David, and upon his kingdom, to order it, and to establish it with judgment and with justice from henceforth even forever. The zeal of the Lord of hosts will perform this.

Notice these verses in the Old Testament telling us that Jesus shall be called, Father of everlasting, mighty God. He shall be called because it is not yet so.

Jesus is the Father of everlasting life, He is mighty God not Almighty God.

Peace, love and joy in Christ,
    John

(Edited by John at 1:36 am on Feb. 6, 2004)

ringo111
    Participant

please read the trinity posts-

Proclaimer
    Participant

I think this is a good post John.

Thx for your thoughts.

NickHassan
    Participant

Hi,
    The Father is only called that name commonly in the New Testament although there are hints of His nature in the OT in Hosea etc. Jesus called Him “My Father” as he was the Son of God from the beginning. Jesus knew God was his father even at the age of 12.
    He literally becomes our father too when we are born again into the Son of Man. Jesus told us plainly that now we have the right to address God as our Father too once we are reborn. But to those of the world He is not their father. They can expect his terrible wrath while we enjoy His family love.

Proclaimer
    Participant

If God is our Father, then we will accept his son and the truth that the son spoke. If we teach that Christ is something he is not, then is it fair to say that you do not know him or that you do not believe his own words. Yes I think it is, and Jesus even said to the Pharisees that if they really knew the scriptures they would have known him for they speak of him.

But I think that some can plead ignorance, but once we have been enlightened or shown the truth, then we are accountable. Blessed most certainly, but also accountable.

So let us be responsible with the message we have heard and to hold onto the truth.

NickHassan
    Participant

Hi t8,
    It seems that some cannot believe unless they understand every part of the process. They demand to put their hands in the raw wound on the side of the Master before they will believe.
    It is vanity and worship of our own minds to think we can always understand. It is great folly to reject parts of scripture to make our doctrines supportable to our minds.

NickHassan
    Participant

Hi, Is Jesus God?
    1 Cor 8 4f
    “..and there is no God but one. For even if there are so called gods whether in heaven or on earth, as indeed there many gods and many lords

YET FOR US THERE IS BUT ONE GOD, THE FATHER, from whom are all things, and we exist for Him;

AND ONE LORD, JESUS CHRIST, through whom are all things and we exist through him”

Seems pretty plain. One God. One Lord. The Son is not God. The Son is not the Father.

They are not the same.

They are not equal.

They relate differently to us.

We relate differently to them.

No confusion there.

NickHassan
    Participant

Hi,
    Jn 10.32f
    “I and the Father are one'
    The jews took up stones again to stone him. Jesus answered them
    'I showed you good works from the Father;for which of them are you stoning me?'
    The Jews answered him
    'For a good work we do not stone you, but for blasphemy;and because you ,being a man,make yourself out to be God'
    Jesus answered them
    'Has it not been written in your law 'I said you are gods'?
    If He called them gods,to whom the word of God came [and the scripture cannot be broken]do you say to him, whom the Father sent into the world 'You are blaspheming' because I said
    'I am the Son of God'?

1cor 8.5
    ” For even if there are so called gods whether in heaven or on earth, as indeed there are many gods and many lords..”

Phil 2.5
    ” …Christ Jesus , who, though he existed in the form of God, did not regard equality with God a thing to be grasped..”

So we know that there are many gods. We also know that the firstborn Son was involved in the creation of all other beings so is greater than all except the Father. He had divine nature always. So if others are gods then he also is a god if he is greater than them. In the Garden God said if man ate of the tree of life then he would become “like one of us” So divine nature was not unique to the Father.

When he was to be stoned it was because they said he claimed to be God. Not a god but the God. Without qualifying words it means the Father to the Jews and to us. He did not claim to be the Father, but neither did he deny he had divine nature. He said men could be gods so he is greater than all men and so he did not say he was not a god.

But it is wrong to take the next step and say all gods are to be worshipped. That is idolatry. If it meant that we could or should worship other gods that would oppose the most sacred commandment, the first. Then you would have to say the other many gods that Paul talked about should also be worshipped. These are separate matters.

The deity status of Jesus does not imply in any way that we should worship him or any other god. We worship the Father as he told us to. To do otherwise is to rebel against the greatest authority under God.

NickHassan
    Participant

Hi , If the Son of God is one of the gods spoken of in scripture should he be worshipped or should he and does he worship the Father

Ps 97.7
    “..worship Him ,all you gods. Zion heard this and was glad, and the daughters of Judah have rejoiced because of your judgements, O Lord, for you are the Lord Most High over all the earth;exalted far above all gods”

Rudy
    Participant

Isaiah 43:3 – For I am the LORD thy God, the Holy One of Israel, thy Saviour: I gave Egypt for thy ransom, Ethiopia and Seba for thee.

Isaiah 43:11 – I, even I, am the LORD; and beside me there is no saviour.

Isaiah 45:15 – Verily thou art a God that hidest thyself, O God of Israel, the Saviour.

Isaiah 45:21 – Tell ye, and bring them near; yea, let them take counsel together: who hath declared this from ancient time? who hath told it from that time? have not I the LORD? and there is no God else beside me; a just God and a Saviour; there is none beside me.

Isaiah 49:26 – And I will feed them that oppress thee with their own flesh; and they shall be drunken with their own blood, as with sweet wine: and all flesh shall know that I the LORD am thy Saviour and thy Redeemer, the mighty One of Jacob.

Isaiah 60:16 – Thou shalt also suck the milk of the Gentiles, and shalt suck the breast of kings: and thou shalt know that I the LORD am thy Saviour and thy Redeemer, the mighty One of Jacob.

Hosea 13:4 – Yet I am the LORD thy God from the land of Egypt, and thou shalt know no god but me: for there is no saviour beside me.

NickHassan
    Participant

So Rudy,
    Are you saying God is not our saviour? Of course He is. And He sent the Son to do his saving work.

Anonymous

Hosea 5
    1Hear ye this, O priests; and hearken, ye house of Israel; and give ye ear, O house of the king; for judgment is toward you, because ye have been a snare on Mizpah, and a net spread upon Tabor.

2And the revolters are profound to make slaughter, though I have been a rebuker of them all.

3I know Ephraim, and Israel is not hid from me: for now, O Ephraim, thou committest whoredom, and Israel is defiled.

4They will not frame their doings to turn unto their God: for the spirit of whoredoms is in the midst of them, and they have not known the LORD.

5And the pride of Israel doth testify to his face: therefore shall Israel and Ephraim fall in their iniquity: Judah also shall fall with them.

6They shall go with their flocks and with their herds to seek the LORD; but they shall not find him; he hath withdrawn himself from them.

7They have dealt treacherously against the LORD: for they have begotten strange children: now shall a month devour them with their portions.

8Blow ye the cornet in Gibeah, and the trumpet in Ramah: cry aloud at Bethaven, after thee, O Benjamin.

9Ephraim shall be desolate in the day of rebuke: among the tribes of Israel have I made known that which shall surely be.

10The princes of Judah were like them that remove the bound: therefore I will pour out my wrath upon them like water.

11Ephraim is oppressed and broken in judgment, because he willingly walked after the commandment.

12Therefore will I be unto Ephraim as a moth, and to the house of Judah as rottenness.

13When Ephraim saw his sickness, and Judah saw his wound, then went Ephraim to the Assyrian, and sent to king Jareb: yet could he not heal you, nor cure you of your wound.

14For I will be unto Ephraim as a lion, and as a young lion to the house of Judah: I, even I, will tear and go away; I will take away, and none shall rescue him.

15I will go and return to my place, till they acknowledge their offence, and seek my face: in their affliction they will seek me early.

Return to my place?

Im with you Rudy, Jesus and the Father share the name YHWH.

Rudy
    Participant

2 Corinthians 5:16 – Wherefore henceforth know we no man after the flesh: yea, though we have known Christ after the flesh, yet now henceforth know we him no more.

NickHassan
    Participant

Hi Is,

A little more evidence than one scripture I would have expected from a good student of the bible like you?

Ez 10.18

Is 1:18
    Participant

Just add to it the untold others I have posted here in the 12 months or so I have been a member…… :D

NickHassan
    Participant

Quote (Rudy @ April 22 2005,21:59)
    2 Corinthians 5:16 – Wherefore henceforth know we no man after the flesh: yea, though we have known Christ after the flesh, yet now henceforth know we him no more.

Hi Rudy,
    2Cor 5 16
    ” He [Jesus] died for all, so that they who live might no longer live for themselves, but for him who died and rose again on their behalf.
    Therefore from now on we recognise no one according to the flesh; even though we have known Christ according to the flesh, yet now we know him in this way no longer.Therefore if anyone is in Christ he is a new creature;the old things passed away;behold new things have come”

So Christ is no longer visible but known by faith. Likwise we sshould see each other by faith in him .

Proclaimer
    Participant

Quote (Guest @ April 23 2005,16:52)
    Im with you Rudy, Jesus and the Father share the name YHWH

Mark 12:29
    And Jesus answered him, The first of all the commandments is, Hear, O Israel; The Lord our God is one Lord:

That is commandment 1. Notice that Christ said OUR God.
    You are wrong with this. It is not good to change the truth of God for a lie.

NickHassan
    Participant

Quote (Is 1:18 @ April 22 2005,22:03)
    Just add to it the untold others I have posted here in the 12 months or so I have been a member…… :D

True Is,
    You work hard to establish what is true.
    But if Jesus is Yahweh is he also the Son of Yahweh?
    Ps 2.7f
    'You are my Son, today I have begotten you…..
    .. Now therefore O kings , show discernment;take warning O judges of the earth.
    Worship the Lord with reverence, and rejoice with trembling. Do homage to the Son that he not become angry and you perish in the way, for his wrath may soon be kindled .How blessed are all who take refuge in him”

So there are two. One we worship.
    One we bow down to and do homage to.
    They are not the same and neither are they treated in exactly the same way.

Proclaimer
    Participant

To whomever,

Yes Nick. One is God and the other is the lamb. One is the Majesty on high and the other is seated at his right-hand side. One is YHWH and the other is his son.

To know God is to know Jesus who is the image of the invisible God, but if you say that they are both the same God, then what is that saying about you knowing God?

The Trinity denies that God is a person. It says that he is a collection of persons. I wouldn't tread all over the first commandment with a creed that came centuries after the last book in the bible was written.

If we fear God, we wouldn't treat him like something you put in a test-tube for analysis. We can only know about him what he chooses to reveal. We should respect that. He is after all the Most-high God. Who are we to tell him who or what he is? We should only reflect that which he has shone to us or speak that which he has spoken. Anything else is from the evil one.

That is why I choose to stick to scripture rather than the vain imaginations of men. If that offends you then good. This is not a trivial matter. It is about the 1st commandment and I make no apology.

Rudy
    Participant

Isaiah 44: 6 Thus saith the LORD (Yahweh) the King of Israel, and his redeemer the LORD (Yahweh) of hosts; I am the first, and I am the last; and beside me there is no God. 7 And who, as I, shall call, and shall declare it, and set it in order for me, since I appointed the ancient people? and the things that are coming, and shall come, let them shew unto them. 8 Fear ye not, neither be afraid: have not I told thee from that time, and have declared it? ye are even my witnesses. Is there a God beside me? yea, there is no God; I know not any.

Revelation 17:14 – These shall make war with the Lamb, and the Lamb shall overcome them: for he is Lord of lords, and King of kings: and they that are with him are called, and chosen, and faithful.
    Revelation 19:16 – And he hath on his vesture and on his thigh a name written, KING OF KINGS, AND LORD OF LORDS.
    Revelation 1:11 – Saying, I am Alpha and Omega, the first and the last: and, What thou seest, write in a book, and send it unto the seven churches which are in Asia; unto Ephesus, and unto Smyrna, and unto Pergamos, and unto Thyatira, and unto Sardis, and unto Philadelphia, and unto Laodicea.

Revelation 1:17 – And when I saw him, I fell at his feet as dead. And he laid his right hand upon me, saying unto me, Fear not; I am the first and the last: 18 I am he that liveth, and was dead; and, behold, I am alive for evermore, Amen; and have the keys of hell and of death.

Revelation 2:8 – And unto the angel of the church in Smyrna write; These things saith the first and the last, which was dead, and is alive;
    Revelation 22:13 – I am Alpha and Omega, the beginning and the end, the first and the last.
    1 Samuel 2: 2 There is none holy as the LORD (Yahweh): for there is none beside thee: neither is there any rock like our God. 3 Talk no more so exceeding proudly; let not arrogancy come out of your mouth: for the LORD (Yahweh) is a God of knowledge, and by him actions are weighed. 4 The bows of the mighty men are broken, and they that stumbled are girded with strength. 5 They that were full have hired out themselves for bread; and they that were hungry ceased: so that the barren hath born seven; and she that hath many children is waxed feeble. 6 The LORD (Yahweh) killeth, and maketh alive: he bringeth down to the grave, and bringeth up. 7 The LORD (Yahweh) maketh poor, and maketh rich: he bringeth low, and lifteth up. 8 He raiseth up the poor out of the dust, and lifteth up the beggar from the dunghill, to set them among princes, and to make them inherit the throne of glory: for the pillars of the earth are the LORD's (Yahweh), and he hath set the world upon them. 9 He will keep the feet of his saints, and the wicked shall be silent in darkness; for by strength shall no man prevail. 10 The adversaries of the LORD (Yahweh) shall be broken to pieces; out of heaven shall he thunder upon them: the LORD (Yahweh) shall judge the ends of the earth; and he shall give strength unto his king, and exalt the horn of his anointed.
    Isaiah 41: 10 Fear thou not; for I am with thee: be not dismayed; for I am thy God: I will strengthen thee; yea, I will help thee; yea, I will uphold thee with the right hand of my righteousness. 11 Behold, all they that were incensed against thee shall be ashamed and confounded: they shall be as nothing; and they that strive with thee shall perish. 12 Thou shalt seek them, and shalt not find them, even them that contended with thee: they that war against thee shall be as nothing, and as a thing of nought. 13 For I the LORD (Yahweh) thy God will hold thy right hand, saying unto thee, Fear not; I will help thee. 14 Fear not, thou worm Jacob, and ye men of Israel; I will help thee, saith the LORD (Yahweh), and thy redeemer, the Holy One of Israel.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 199 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 1999 - 2024 Heaven Net

Navigation

© 1999 - 2023 - Heaven Net
or

or    

Forgot your details?

or

Create Account