Tithes

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 16 posts - 21 through 36 (of 36 total)
  • Author
    david
    Participant

I agree Nick.

Under the Mosaic Law, there were certain contributions that were voluntary. Others were required of the people. The giving of a tithe, or tenth part, was one of the latter. (Ex. 25:2; 30:11-16; Num. 15:17-21; 18:25-32

Only the Israelites were bound by that law, which included tithing.

Although it is true that God never changes, his requirements sometimes do. (Malachi 3:6) The Bible states categorically that the sacrificial death of Jesus, in 33 C.E., “blotted out,” or “abolished,” the Law and with it the “commandment to collect tithes.”—Colossians 2:13, 14; Ephesians 2:13-15; Hebrews 7:5, 18.

david
    Participant

Of course, we are still to be generous and giving. But we are not under command to tithe.

NickHassan
    Participant

topical

olive
    Participant

Mat 6:3 “But when _you_ do charitable giving, do not let your left hand know what the right hand is doing, in order that your charitable giving shall be in secret, and your Father, the [One] seeing in secret, will Himself reward you in the open.

blessing and love

Unisage
    Participant

Yes Olive it is when you give freely..Not to where you are demanded 10% of your income like most churches teach.and they are robbing God people by taking scriptures out of content for there own gain.

NickHassan
    Participant

topical

Participant

There is nothing more important that we can do with the money that God has put in our possession.  Tithing is a guidline for giving, but what ever a man decides to give should be our of his love for God and for humanity.

The commission that our Lord has given us is to into all of the world sharing the gospel with those who will hear, making disciples of those who receive him, and relieving the oppressed of the devil.  It takes money and our talents, not all have the same amount of money or the same talents, to fulfill this commission.

2 Corinthians 9:7 KJV
    Every man according as he purposeth in his heart, so let him give; not grudgingly , or of necessity: for God loveth a cheerful giver.

I believe that some get the feeling that the Pastor is trying to squeeze every penny out of  them, and some, I am sure, are doing just this.

Whatever we do as born again Christians should be out our Love for God and for humanity.

NickHassan
    Participant

Hi,
    God loves givers.
    Acts 9:36
    Now in Joppa there was a disciple named Tabitha (which translated in Greek is called Dorcas); this woman was abounding with deeds of kindness and charity which she continually did.
    Acts 10
    1There was a certain man in Caesarea called Cornelius, a centurion of the band called the Italian band,

2A devout man, and one that feared God with all his house, which gave much alms to the people, and prayed to God alway.

JPR
    Participant

The Word of God clearly says ; “tith”.  What Christ is also saying is that He has redeemed us from the curse of the law which implies that transgression of God's Law is not punished by God until Christ's return. (Rather clumpsy put)  Having died with Christ, (as far as the old nature is concerned) and in the process of being resurrected by God through the baptism and regeneration (new nature), Gods Word can now take affect (my own expression) or be fulfilled (God's expression) in those who do not live according the flesh, but according to the Spirit. The new Covenant is the process but which God puts his laws (including the tithing) on our hearts.  Open your heart for the truth as the same will set you free.
    Love

NickHassan
    Participant

Hi JPR,
    Where does the New Testament command tithing?

JPR
    Participant

I have two answers:
    1. The “new testament” teaches tithing in the following scriptures. Hebrews 7:8 and in Mat 23:23.
    2. The other answer: In contrast to the conditions of the old covenant, those of the new agreement between God and his people (The new covenant or new testament) are nowhere defined. Instead God declared they should be concealed amongst his people. (Isa 8:16 Bind up the testimony, seal the law among my disciples.) He placed the “Word of the Old Covenant” in the Arc of the Covenant; this is a sign pointing to the “laws of the new covenant on the hearts of his people. As the high priest only could access the holiest of holy places, so can Jesus (our new High priest) access and transcribe the law on our hearts. They are placed on our hearts by Him and are there for no one else to judge, but Him. The new “testament” books are thus not the books defining the conditions for the new covenant; those are to be find right through the bible. The division between “Old” and “new” in our bibles are made by man, not by God.
    To conclude; we receive “living word” on our hearts. By definition this is the New Covenant. (Heb 8 and 10) The contents of the word are something the Author decides, not us. We have the responsibility to abide in it. As disciples we should encourage others to take it up with the Author, as the more Word, the more Truth, the more Truth, the more freedom. Tithing has brought financial freedom to me. It will do so for everyone as Our Father has clearly promised it in Malachi.

dirtyknections
    Participant

Tithing ended with the mosaic law…There is no 10 percent..there is only giving from the heart..remember the widows mite?…Mandatory tithing based on certain amounts is used by greedy preachers to fleece their flock…simple as that

NickHassan
    Participant

Hi JPR,
    You do have to read the gospels with a certain amount of wisdom and discernment.

The primary mission of Jesus was to Israel and much of his teaching was clarifying their law for them in response to their questions about it.

Read his teaching to the rich young man and you will see this. He asked what he should DO. Our salvation is not by what WE DO but what Christ has done. Our works relate to legal observance.

Mt19
    16And, behold, one came and said unto him, Good Master, what good thing shall I do, that I may have eternal life?

LAW
    17And he said unto him, Why callest thou me good? there is none good but one, that is, God: but if thou wilt enter into life, keep the commandments.

18He saith unto him, Which? Jesus said, Thou shalt do no murder, Thou shalt not commit adultery, Thou shalt not steal, Thou shalt not bear false witness,

19Honour thy father and thy mother: and, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself.

20The young man saith unto him, All these things have I kept from my youth up: what lack I yet?

FOLLOWING CHRIST
    21Jesus said unto him, If thou wilt be perfect, go and sell that thou hast, and give to the poor, and thou shalt have treasure in heaven: and come and follow me.

22But when the young man heard that saying, he went away sorrowful: for he had great possessions.

23Then said Jesus unto his disciples, Verily I say unto you, That a rich man shall hardly enter into the kingdom of heaven.

24And again I say unto you, It is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle, than for a rich man to enter into the kingdom of God.

25When his disciples heard it, they were exceedingly amazed, saying, Who then can be saved?

26But Jesus beheld them, and said unto them, With men this is impossible; but with God all things are possible.

david
    Participant

Hi JPR,
    Where does the New Testament command tithing?

I have two answers:
    1. The “new testament” teaches tithing in the following scriptures. Hebrews 7:8 and in Mat 23:23.

Neither of these two scriptures commands, or even “teaches” tithing.

Mat 23:23 for example is referring to what the pharisees did. Sure, they tithed. Generally speaking, they didn't accept Jesus and so didn't accept that Jesus nailed the law to the torture stake.

The point that was made in this scripture is this:
    justice and mercy and faithfulness, the big things of the law, the things that were before the law and after and should always be, they didn't seem to have any concept of these things. They just liked making rules, very specific oppresive rules, such as tithing mint, cummin, etc.
    I wouldn't really use anything the pharisees did as a good example that “teaches” us anything.

JPR
    Participant

Hi all, thanks, for your input. “Listen” to my testimony;

Jesus once said to me: “The scribes and the Pharisees sit in Moses' seat: All therefore whatsoever they bid you observe, that observe and do; but do not ye after their works: for they say, and do not.” I was also lead to believe that: “If I believe Moses, I will also believe Jesus: for he wrote of Jesus, but if I not believe his writings, how shall I believe Jesus’ words?” I learned that if “I love God, I will obey His commandments.” His word will never pass and never ages. I once asked Him if the Jews had any advantage to us. He said: “Much every way: chiefly, because that unto them were committed the oracles of God” (=Jesus). The Word in 2 Co 3:15 were explained to me as follows: But even unto this day, when Moses is read, the vail is upon their heart. Nevertheless when it shall turn to the Lord (true repentance), the vail shall be taken away”. Act 7:38: “This is he (Moses) that was in the church in the wilderness with the angel which spake to him in the mount Sina, and with our fathers: who received the lively oracles to give unto us:” I was born again through “living Word”

As I understand things: Christ has been given all authority, He is Lord over the Sabbath (the rest). You can only enter into true rest through obedience to Him. He is Lord of all. Allow Him to interact with you in such a way, that through faith, whatever He has to say to you, you are able to take it. Tradition renders the Word of God (Jesus) powerless. History renders the Word of God powerless. Christians often quote history as more authoritative than the Word of God. Don’t allow worldly wisdom to interfere with your interaction with Him. Become like a child and eat everything that comes from the mouth of God as we will live from “every word” that comes from God’s mouth.

Col 2:14: Blotting out the handwriting of ordinances that was against us, which was contrary to us, and took it out of the way, nailing it to his cross;
    The body of Christ was flesh (human) originating from (John 1:1) and obedient (Phil 2:8) to God till death. His body therefore was a living testimony to the fact that Word in flesh can overcome the world. This very fact, became our biggest threat because if one could do it, all that “are born of God”, can do it. (He that is born of God, can’t sin) His living body therefore became the biggest threat of our internal existence. To put it differently; His body is “written proof” that Word in flesh can be obedient to ordinances. As His body (handwriting of ordinances) therefore became our biggest threat, God in His wisdom, made that body sin, killing it, and by doing so, removed the final threat to our internal existence. Brothers, this scripture does not mean the law was nailed to the cross, it means the accusation by Christ human body, was nailed to the cross. The Law of God is like a headmaster, directing you to Jesus; it is Good, holy and just. (Rom 7:12 wherefore the law is holy, and the commandment holy, and just, and good.)

One Word on the Law and the curse of the Law:
    If you are born of flesh, you are flesh and if you are born of Spirit, you are spirit. Flesh, is under the curse of any law because it has the satanic nature which rebels against law/word. The law of God is the ultimate burden and curse to human flesh. The only way of escaping this curse and burden is to die (If you are married to man, you will remain married until he dies, only then are you free to belong to someone else) The flesh therefore has to die with Christ to escape the curse. Once born of the Spirit, you now become partakers of a Godly nature, (2Pe 1:4 Whereby are given unto us exceeding great and precious promises: that by these ye might be partakers of the divine nature, having escaped the corruption that is in the world through lust.) and hence, free to live in harmony with the Law because you and the law are both now spirit and has the same “nature”. That is why the born again person, (being born of spirit) can now obey the law and receive the law on his heart as he has been given the same Godly nature. (This is the essence of new covenant life) We do not escape the law by incorrectly dividing it into applicable and non applicable. Neither do we escape the law by dividing it into “mosaic”, “moral” and “religious” laws. Those are all man-made concepts. The only way of escaping the curse of the law is to die with Christ and to live from “every word from God’s mouth”; including those he gave through Moses.

May God bless you all .

Not3in1
    Participant

Quote (JPR @ June 13 2008,22:32)
    The only way of escaping this curse and burden is to die (If you are married to man, you will remain married until he dies, only then are you free to belong to someone else)

JPR,

I had to chuckle a little bit here because of your comparision of the “burden” and dying to escape it with that of marriage. Considering where my marriage is right now, it just struck me funny.

Excellent work though! I will reread it again tonight.

So glad that you're here,
    Mandy

Viewing 16 posts - 21 through 36 (of 36 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 1999 - 2024 Heaven Net

Navigation

© 1999 - 2023 - Heaven Net
or

or    

Forgot your details?

or

Create Account