three days and three nights

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 49 total)
  • Author
    kenrch
    Participant

Mat 12:40 for as Jonah was three days and three nights in the belly of the whale; so shall the Son of man be three DAYS and three NIGHTS in the heart of the earth.

You cannot get 3 days and 3 nights from Friday afternoon to Sunday morning.
    Why was Jesus so carefull with His words. Notice He didn't say three days. That would not have been exactly correct. Some still say that the Jew's day was 12 hours, so! Jesus said 3 days of light and 3 days of night.

Jesus' tomb was FOUND EMPTY on that Sunday morning.

The next day after the Jesus was crucified a ANNUAL SABBATH not the seventh Sabbath (John 19:31; Lev. 23:5,6).

Mat 28:5 And the angel answered and said unto the women, Fear not ye; for I know that ye seek Jesus, who hath been crucified.
    Mat 28:6 HE IS NOT HERE, HE HAS RISEN even as he said. Come, see the place where the Lord lay.

No need to list all the gospels account of the day the tomb was found empty.

chew on that :)

seekingtruth
    Participant

I believe he died on Wed. evening just before sunset. He then spent wed night, thur. day, thur. night, fri. day, fri night, sat day, 3 days and 3 nights. Sunday for us starts at midnight but for them it started at sunset (sat. night). So when the scriptures say "first thing" it doesn't mean in the morning but at the start of the day. I believe this can be proven since Jesus was explict about 3 days and 3 nights and if he arose Sunday morning then he would had to have died on thursday morning, but we know it was evening.

kenrch
    Participant

Quote (seekingtruth @ Mar. 11 2006,05:42)
    I believe he died on Wed. evening just before sunset. He then spent wed night, thur. day, thur. night, fri. day, fri night, sat day, 3 days and 3 nights. Sunday for us starts at midnight but for them it started at sunset (sat. night). So when the scriptures say "first thing" it doesn't mean in the morning but at the start of the day. I believe this can be proven since Jesus was explict about 3 days and 3 nights and if he arose Sunday morning then he would had to have died on thursday morning, but we know it was evening.

Seekingtruth,
    Thank you for being the humble person you are.

Wednessday evening to Thursday evening =1 day
    Thursday evening to Friday evening =2 day
    Friday evening to Saturday evening=3 days
    Right as the sun set on Saturday, before night Jesus was resurrected, that completeing three days and nights.

Jesus was resurrected Saturday.
    Mar 16:1 And when the sabbath was past, Mary Magdalene, and Mary the mother of James, and Salome, had bought sweet spices, that they might come and anoint him.
    Mar 16:2 And very early in the morning the first day of the week, they came unto the sepulchre at the rising of the sun.

Early in the morning means that half of the first day of the week was past(first half being night). The Sabbath was past but the tomb was found empty. Jesus was resurrected at sunset Saturday completeing the three days and nights.

Wed night /day = 1 Thur night/day=2 Fri night/day =3

He will guide us to the truth and the truth sets us free from bondage to religion.

Kenrch

seekingtruth
    Participant

I was talking to my wife this morning how amazing it is that everyone keeps teaching Friday when even I could see it was plainly written and it had to be Wednesday. But then I remember that I read the Bible through many times over many years and eventhough I would puzzle at the 3 days, 3 nights, I assumed people smarter then me understood it and who was I to question it. Fortunately God finally got through to me to let the Spirit guide me to all truth, not man's doctrine.

Luke 24:7 from NIV, Amplified, KJV, NLT, NAS, and even the Jehovahs Witness NWT say on the third day.
    Crucified/Friday=1st day
    Sabbath/Saturday=2nd day
    Risen/Sunday=3rd day

seekingtruth
    Participant

Quote (OneoftheLordsGenerals @ Mar. 11 2006,23:37)
    Luke 24:7 from NIV, Amplified, KJV, NLT, NAS, and even the Jehovahs Witness NWT say on the third day.
    Crucified/Friday=1st day
    Sabbath/Saturday=2nd day
    Risen/Sunday=3rd day

I've reached the point in my life where I don't care who says what unless it agrees with scripture. Friday to Sunday does not give you 3 nights anyway you cut it even with inclusive reckoning. I could also argue it really doesn't give you 3 days either.

seekingtruth
    Participant

Sorry I was in a hurry to go somewhere and upon return I reread my post and noticed I hadn't responded properly.

Correction "I've reached the point in my life where I don't care who says what (as far as how it is interpreted) unless it agrees with (all of) scripture."

Raised on the third day could refer to if he died at the end of wednesday, thursday would be first day, Friday, would be second day and Saturday would be the third.

I might even argue the above except then I would have to try to do something with the words of Jesus about 3 days and 3 nights. The proper interpretation must always harmonize with all of scripture.

kenrch
    Participant

Quote (seekingtruth @ Mar. 11 2006,23:36)
    I was talking to my wife this morning how amazing it is that everyone keeps teaching Friday when even I could see it was plainly written and it had to be Wednesday. But then I remember that I read the Bible through many times over many years and eventhough I would puzzle at the 3 days, 3 nights, I assumed people smarter then me understood it and who was I to question it. Fortunately God finally got through to me to let the Spirit guide me to all truth, not man's doctrine.

seekingtruth,

We can't rely on man for truth. Lets forget what we were taught and serch thing out with the Holy Spirit guiding us.

God Bless and stay humble,

Kenrch

Sultan
    Participant

Quote (OneoftheLordsGenerals @ Mar. 11 2006,18:37)
    Crucified/Friday=1st day
    Sabbath/Saturday=2nd day
    Risen/Sunday=3rd day

It's slick how you only count days, when Jesus said," For as Jonah was three days and three nights in the belly of the great fish, so will the Son of Man be three days and three nights in the heart of the earth.(matt. 12:40)

You see three days and three nights. Yet you contradict the Bible to hold to mans tradition.
    friday-saturday=24 hours
    Saturday-Sunday=24 hours

Seems like you're missing a day.

kenrch
    Participant

Quote (Sultan @ Mar. 12 2006,13:56)

Quote (OneoftheLordsGenerals @ Mar. 11 2006,18:37)
    Crucified/Friday=1st day
    Sabbath/Saturday=2nd day
    Risen/Sunday=3rd day

It's slick how you only count days, when Jesus said," For as Jonah was three days and three nights in the belly of the great fish, so will the Son of Man be three days and three nights in the heart of the earth.(matt. 12:40)

You see three days and three nights. Yet you contradict the Bible to hold to mans tradition.
    friday-saturday=24 hours
    Saturday-Sunday=24 hours

Seems like you're missing a day.

Sultan,

Wednesday at sunset started thursday
    that night (thursday) to the next night which began Friday
    Friday night to Saturday night is another day……ummmmmm

You're right! I'm sorry my calculation were wrong I counted wednesday. Hey it wasn't on purpose!

My point being that you can't get three days and three nights from Friday to sunday no matter how you count it. We were taught wrong again just like the trinity.

So lets see it would have to had been on Tuesday night which was the beginning of the jewish Wednessday, correct?

Wednesday night
    thursday night
    friday night=3 nights
    thursDay
    FriDay
    SaturDay at sunset would have ended three days and three nights. Is that correct?

Sorry for the mistake, glad yoiu on your toes and caught it, THANKS!
    You're not saying that I intentionally did that are you? Why would I do that. I don't believe anyone loves the truth more than I do, no one!
    That's what this post was all about truth. The truth is you CANNOT get 3 days and 3 nights from Friday. If you can please be my guest and show me. Like I said I love truth!

But I still love ya, I love everyone who seeks the truth.

Kenrch

liljon
    Participant

Jesus did not die on wednesday. It should be obivious from reading the gosples.
    Luke 13:32 "Behold, I cast out demons and perform cures today and tomorrow ,and the third day I reach My goal."

http://www.bible.ca/d-3-days-and-3-nights.htm

Also

150AD JUSTIN: But Sunday is the day on which we hold our common assembly, because it is the first day of the week and Jesus our saviour on the same day rose from the dead. (First apology of Justin, Ch 68)
    150AD JUSTIN: And on the day called Sunday there is a gathering together in the same place of all who live in a city or a rural district. … We all make our assembly in common on the day of the Sun, since it is the first day, on which God changed the darkness and matter and made the world, and Jesus Christ our Savior arose from the dead on the same day. For they crucified him on the day before Saturn's day, and on the day after (which is the day of the Sun the appeared to his apostles and taught his disciples these things. (Apology, 1, 67:1-3, 7; First Apology, 145 AD, Ante-Nicene Fathers , Vol. 1, pg. 186)

I am not gonna argue, it says ON THE THIRD DAY. not three days, but ON THE THIRD DAY. Friday=1st day, Saturday=2nd day, Sunday=3rd day. The Sabbath was Saturday and Mary came the day after the sabbath————————> Sunday, on the third day he was already gone.
    Also, you argue the lttle facts, who cares on which day he died, etc. It matters that he died for our sins and rose again. Plain and simple. This discussion is just a joke. You divide The Body with such stupid topics and arguements. Whether one believes in the trinity or not is important because we are trying to find out who God is. But on what day did he die? is worthless banter. I am done with this topic, good bye.

seekingtruth
    Participant

Quote (liljon @ Mar. 13 2006,16:09)
    Luke 13:32 "Behold, I cast out demons and perform cures today and tomorrow ,and the third day I reach My goal."

Also

150AD JUSTIN: But Sunday is the day on which we hold our common assembly, because it is the first day of the week and Jesus our saviour on the same day rose from the dead. (First apology of Justin, Ch 68)
    150AD JUSTIN: And on the day called Sunday there is a gathering together in the same place of all who live in a city or a rural district. … We all make our assembly in common on the day of the Sun, since it is the first day, on which God changed the darkness and matter and made the world, and Jesus Christ our Savior arose from the dead on the same day. For they crucified him on the day before Saturn's day, and on the day after (which is the day of the Sun the appeared to his apostles and taught his disciples these things. (Apology, 1, 67:1-3, 7; First Apology, 145 AD, Ante-Nicene Fathers , Vol. 1, pg. 186)

Jesus was not even to Jerusalem yet when He made that statement and to me it seems more likely that the statement referred to His reaching Jerusalem.

All scripture must harmonize and in this case the 3 days and 3 nights stated by the Lord is hard to take any other way, while the on the third day does have room for different interpretations.

seekingtruth
    Participant

Quote (OneoftheLordsGenerals @ Mar. 13 2006,17:32)
    I am not gonna argue, it says ON THE THIRD DAY. not three days, but ON THE THIRD DAY. Friday=1st day, Saturday=2nd day, Sunday=3rd day. The Sabbath was Saturday and Mary came the day after the sabbath————————> Sunday, on the third day he was already gone.
     Also, you argue the lttle facts, who cares on which day he died, etc. It matters that he died for our sins and rose again. Plain and simple. This discussion is just a joke. You divide The Body with such stupid topics and arguements. Whether one believes in the trinity or not is important because we are trying to find out who God is. But on what day did he die? is worthless banter. I am done with this topic, good bye.

I agree we should not argue over a fact like this but when does reasoning together turn to argument. I believe it is when emotions become involved and your defending your position without even considering the merits of other positions. You do seem to have reached that point.

I believe this shows how ingrained and hard it is to accept something you've grown to believe. As it sounds like you have left this topic I would appreciate it if anyone of similar belief could explain what Jesus meant when He said 3 days and 3 nights if he didn't mean just that. I'm open to correction, I want the truth.

One last thing I've read that the Sabbath in question was a high Sabbath unrelated to a Saturday.

kenrch
    Participant

Mat 12:40 for as Jonah was three days and three nights in the belly of the whale; so shall the Son of man be three "days" and three "nights" in the heart of the earth.

If the amount of time Jesus was in the grave then why was He so precise. Why didn't He just say three days, if it didn't matter. No, Jesus wanted us to know that he would be in the grave for 3-24 hour periods. Maybe He knew that a false church would change the time and day. After all he did and said what the Father wanted. May be He knew that a false church would chanmge the times and Law.
    Dan 7:25 And he shall speak words against the Most High, and shall wear out the saints of the Most High; and he shall think to change the times and the law; and they shall be given into his hand until a time and times and half a time.

Where did Easter come from? What does chocolate bunny rabbits and "rabbit eggs" have to do with the Resurrection.

Their had to be a reason why Jesus was so precise.

liljon
    Participant

Jesus wasn't in the grave three 24 hours periods!
    Luke 13 says he would reach his goal THE THIRD DAY. If he had stayed for 3 24 hr periods we would have been raised on The fourth.
    Wednesday crucifixion is too early just by looking at the gospel accounts.

seekingtruth
    Participant

Quote (seekingtruth @ Mar. 13 2006,19:22)

Quote (liljon @ Mar. 13 2006,16:09)

Also

Jesus was not even to Jerusalem yet when He made that statement and to me it seems more likely that the statement referred to His reaching Jerusalem.

All scripture must harmonize and in this case the 3 days and 3 nights stated by the Lord is hard to take any other way, while the on the third day does have room for different interpretations.

I responded to your post, I've given what I believe to be the interpretation of the scripture you offered. Now please do me the favor of showing me what in Mat 12:40 the 3 days and 3 nights could mean besides what it says.

kenrch
    Participant

Quote (liljon @ Mar. 14 2006,15:21)
    Jesus wasn't in the grave three 24 hours periods!
    Luke 13 says he would reach his goal THE THIRD DAY. If he had stayed for 3 24 hr periods we would have been raised on The fourth.
    Wednesday crucifixion is too early just by looking at the gospel accounts.

Don't you believe Jesus? Jesus said three day-light days and three- nights that are dark you know when the sun goes down.
    What do bunny rabbits have to do with Jesus' resurrection?
    I've not read anything about rabbits in the bible, in fact rabbits are concidered unclean food for Jews.

seekingtruth
    Participant

Quote (seekingtruth @ Mar. 13 2006,20:07)

Quote (OneoftheLordsGenerals @ Mar. 13 2006,17:32)

I agree we should not argue over a fact like this but when does reasoning together turn to argument. I believe it is when emotions become involved and your defending your position without even considering the merits of other positions. You do seem to have reached that point.

I believe this shows how ingrained and hard it is to accept something you've grown to believe. As it sounds like you have left this topic I would appreciate it if anyone of similar belief could explain what Jesus meant when He said 3 days and 3 nights if he didn't mean just that. I'm open to correction, I want the truth.

One last thing I've read that the Sabbath in question was a high Sabbath unrelated to a Saturday.

I made a claim above and was in a hurry so I did not have time to find support or even properly explain it. On the year Christ was crucified the 15th of Nisan fell on a Thursday.

The first day of the Feast of Unleavened Bread was an Holy Convocation or High Sabbath and is always on the 15th of Nisan, meaning it was on different days of the week from year to year. (see Exodus 12:16; Leviticus 23:3-7; Numbers 28:17).

I have not allowed emotion to control, nor have i been ingrained to believe such. I don't care what day it was, i am happy that it happened. In Matthew 12:40 I see what you are saying, although in Matthew 16:21 it says on the third day. So does that mean that there is a contradiction in the Word of God or are these statements the same somehow.
    I am glad that there is agreement with each other with the three days and nights and agreemnet on the third day. But there are more important matters of the Body of Christ than to be in agreement with each other on smaller less trivial things. In Mark and John Jesus speaks of destroying the temple and rebuilding it in three days.
    The point is there are souls out there who don't know about salvation, yet here we sit in discussion about little trivial things. Doctrine that has nothing to due with our salvation. For that reason I am praticing what i preach. I am leaving this forum and letting it not be a distraction from those out there who are losing the fight that God has helped me win. I will post my leaving on a main site for all to see. Good bye to all.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 49 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 1999 - 2024 Heaven Net

Navigation

© 1999 - 2023 - Heaven Net
or

or    

Forgot your details?

or

Create Account