There is no such thing as a Believer

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Kyle
    Participant

I just read the short article on this site entitled “There is no such thing as an Atheist”. While I get the point that was trying to be made, I think the article is very flawed. Sure, it's very hard to prove anything beyond a shadow of a doubt. I'm sure that's what makes an agnostic very comfortable in his stance. But using the same logic, then no one can truly be a believer either. What if someone who believes in God possesed that 1% of knowledge? How could they be sure that there wasn't anything in the remaining 99% that disproves the existance of God?

Obviously someone doesn't need to be 100% sure of something to believe in it. Otherwise faith would be meaningless. Likewise, Atheists shouldn't be required to be 100% sure of anything either. They just happen to believe most of the evidence points in a different direction. Nothing wrong with that.

Any thoughts?

NickHassan
    Participant

Hi Kyle,
    Is faith just head knowledge?

Kyle
    Participant

Are you saying that believers are more justified in making that jump from knowlege to belief? Because they have prayer and the Holy Ghost helping them along, whereas an atheist's belief that God doesn't exist is completely dependant on knowelge?

If that's what you're saying then I get the point and I see the difference. But I still think it's a little harsh to say that they can't truly disbelieve God exists just because they can't prove it.

NickHassan
    Participant

Hi kyle,
    Scripture says every man is GIVEN a measure of faith so it is not just related to understanding.
    It is of grace.
    Rom 1 also says no man has any excuse because of how God has revealed Himself through His creation.

NickHassan
    Participant

Hi kyle,
    Scripturally a believer is not someone who knows of God, as the demons do, but one who has followed up receiving that revelation with a public demonstration of that belief-before angels, God and men-baptism.
    In some countries the social cost of that choice is very serious.
    It is a bit like the different levels of commitment required for the pig and the chicken in providing bacon and eggs.

Proclaimer
    Participant

Quote (Kyle @ Mar. 26 2007,22:21)
    I just read the short article on this site entitled “There is no such thing as an Atheist”. While I get the point that was trying to be made, I think the article is very flawed. Sure, it's very hard to prove anything beyond a shadow of a doubt. I'm sure that's what makes an agnostic very comfortable in his stance. But using the same logic, then no one can truly be a believer either. What if someone who believes in God possesed that 1% of knowledge? How could they be sure that there wasn't anything in the remaining 99% that disproves the existance of God?

Obviously someone doesn't need to be 100% sure of something to believe in it. Otherwise faith would be meaningless. Likewise, Atheists shouldn't be required to be 100% sure of anything either. They just happen to believe most of the evidence points in a different direction. Nothing wrong with that.

Any thoughts?

Hi Kyle.

The point of the article which many miss is this, (I will put it another way):

If I said that there was no such thing as an angel, and I possessed 1% of all knowledge, then I couldn't say for sure because the answer could be found in the 99% I do not know. On the other-hand if I saw an angel while possessing 1% of all knowledge, then the other 99% wouldn't matter because I already have my proof.

So to say there is no God requires 100% of all knowledge and to say there is a God only requires satisfactory knowledge that God exists.

In other words you need 100% knowledge to say that something doesn't exist, but a small amount of knowledge can suffice to show that it does exist.

That is why an atheist cannot be sure of his belief in no God, but a person who has a relationship with God can.

This is a very simplistic way to look at it, but you can see the point I hope.

charity
    Participant

Hi Kyle

Honest earnest expectation inserted in all models; treat all the creation as it has received for deep down it is in pain??
    Rom 8:22 For we know that the whole creation groaneth and travaileth in pain together until now.

The creature shall grab with delight and believe it if its proved EVEN IN PATIENCE AND LOVE?
    Rom 8:19 For the earnest expectation of the creature waiteth for the manifestation of the sons of God

Rom 8:21 Because the creature itself also shall be delivered from the bondage of corruption into the glorious liberty of the children of God.

Subject of hope shall anyone carry a brother/sister when his/she’s faith is faint,
    And by faith know already God has installed all that each one needs
    Rom 8:20 For the creature was made subject to vanity, not willingly, but by reason of him who hath subjected [the same] in hope,

charity

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 1999 - 2024 Heaven Net

Navigation

© 1999 - 2023 - Heaven Net
or

or    

Forgot your details?

or

Create Account