The Ten Commandments

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 20 posts - 261 through 280 (of 541 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Quote (music4two @ Mar. 03 2007,00:16)
    This is a paraphrase of many sources I have studied so I do not lay claim to all the concepts or words.

“There are six days when you may work, but the seventh day is a Sabbath of rest, a day of sacred assembly. You are not to do any work; wherever you live, it is a Sabbath to the LORD. (Leviticus 23:3)

Remember the Sabbath day by keeping it holy. Six days you shall labor and do all your work, but the seventh day is a Sabbath to the LORD your God. On it you shall not do any work, neither you, nor your son or daughter, nor your manservant or maidservant, nor your animals, nor the alien within your gates. For in six days the LORD made the heavens and the earth, the sea, and all that is in them, but he rested on the seventh day. Therefore the LORD blessed the Sabbath day and made it holy. (Ex 20:8-11)

From the above verses 5 things are clear components of the Sabbath

1.It is a day of rest from work for people and animals.

2.It will be on the 7th day of the week.

3.The day is to be kept holy.

4.The day is blessed by God.

5.It is a commemoration of creation.

The word “Sabbath”, “shabbat”  means “to cease from work or activity”. The Sabbath is a 24 hour day of ceasing from work, a day of rest.

The Sabbath day is to be kept holy. Many try to associate  the tern “Holy” with some spiritual context. The Hebrew word translated holy simply means “to be set apart”. In most cases to be set apart for a special purpose. The Sabbath is set apart from all the other days of the week.

The fourth commandment connects the seventh day Sabbath with the seventh day of creation, making the Sabbath a commemoration of creation.

By the seventh day God had finished the work he had been doing; so on the seventh day he rested from all his work. And God blessed the seventh day and made it holy, because on it he rested from all the work of creating that he had done. (Genesis 2:2-3)

The word “rested” above, is the Hebrew word “Shabat” the root of “Shabbat/Sabbath”

Of course God does not need rest; he was setting a pattern for the benefit of his creation. Six days are for working but the seventh day is a day of rest, a Sabbath. God recognized that all creation needs a rest. Not only do our bodies need to rest one day out of each week, but also so do the animals. God also commanded to give the land a rest every seven years (Leviticus 25:4). God, who created man, knew that a man's body required one day in seven to rest. This fits perfectly with that which I have posted in the past concerning the way God functions towards His creation. God functions correctly toward His creation by directing them to rest one day per week. Both them and their animals. In fact God even directs them to allow the land to lay fallow (unused) every 7 years to rejuevenate.

The fourth commandment is a commemoration of this day of rest. As I have posted before a commandment is a direction or landmark to guide us toward Zion.

Some say that the use of the term “Remember the Sabbath” also adds some spiritual significance.

God first told Israel to observe the Sabbath at some point prior to Israel's arrival at Mount Sinai and after they crossed the Red Sea as shown in Exodus 16.23.

(Moses) said to them, “This is what the LORD commanded: 'Tomorrow is to be a day of rest, a holy Sabbath to the LORD.

This could possibly be the reason God used the words “remember the Sabbath”in the 10 commandments. Perhaps after 400 years of captivity the Hebrews forgot the practice.

God does bless this day and those that honor it. The spiritual aspect of the Sabbath is found in the following verse.

“If you keep your feet from breaking the Sabbath and from doing as you please on my holy day, if you call the Sabbath a delight and the LORD's holy day honorable, and if you honor it by not going your own way and not doing as you please or speaking idle words, then you will find your joy in the LORD , and I will cause you to ride on the heights of the land and to feast on the inheritance of your father Jacob.” The mouth of the LORD has spoken. (Isaiah 58:13-14)

“Blessed is the man who does [what is right], the man who holds it fast, who keeps the Sabbath without desecrating it, and keeps his hand from doing any evil.” (Isaiah 56:2)

Six days a week we are about our lives working and taking care of our common needs. The seventh is to be set asside to remember that it was the Lord that created us and to honor Him.

Those who keep the Sabbath acknowledge that God is the creator of the universe.

In conclussion, the Sabbath  is a decree from God to his people to insure that they are taken care of physically both they and the remainder of His creation. In addition it is a sign and reminder to His people that He created the universe.  It is a sign of the creation covenant between God and His creation.

Because God uses the term “Commandment” many add some aspect of Western cultural “law” concept to this statement. Commandment means direction or landmarks to find Zion (heaven).  
    To put this concept in modern terms;
    The LORD says to set asside the seventh day of the week for this special purpose: For you and your animals to rest and recouperate from your labors. This is for your physical wellbeing. For your spiritual wellbeing use this day to commemorate that the LORD your God created the universe and all that is in it. Observing these two things will be a guide and help to you in reaching your eternal home in Zion.

Thanks M42, good teaching

God Bless

Phoenix
    Participant

Hi M42

I highly praise the man who created the website you showed us where you got your information from. Praise for all the hard work he does in his website.

However, do you think his writings are valid? He isnt even a scholar. I mean at least James Strong was a Professor. And according to his concordance Command, Commandment or even Mits vah… means Law.

Just a thought

Hugs
    Phoenix

NickHassan
    Participant

Quote (942767 @ Mar. 02 2007,22:39)
    Hi Nick:

29But he is a Jew, which is one inwardly; and circumcision is that of the heart, in the spirit, and not in the letter; whose praise is not of men, but of God.”
    Are you a Jew or a gentile?

Since I God has circumsized my heart, it would make me a spiritual jew.

God Bless

Hi 94,
    A gentile, grafted onto the old olive root.

Participant

Quote (Nick Hassan @ Mar. 03 2007,03:58)

Hi Nick:

29But he is a Jew, which is one inwardly; and circumcision is that of the heart, in the spirit, and not in the letter; whose praise is not of men, but of God.”

God Bless

Hi 94,

Hi Nick:

A gentile before, a spiritual Jew after God circumsized my heart. A new creation in Christ Jesus.

God Bless

Participant

Hi Nick:

And to add to what I have posted above, He is still working on me to make me what I ought to be. It took him just a week to make the moon and the stars, but he is still working on me.

God Bless

NickHassan
    Participant

Quote (942767 @ Mar. 03 2007,04:41)

Hi Nick:

God Bless

Hi 94,

Hi Nick:

A gentile before, a spiritual Jew after God circumsized my heart. A new creation in Christ Jesus.

God Bless

Hi 94,
    Now neither gentile nor Jew.
    God does not have sons of division.

Phoenix
    Participant

Hi Nick

You said in another thread…

Hi,
    The trinity theory of God cannot be proven directly from the bible.
    The trinity theory about God should not be taught as it cannot be proven.
    God reveals all we need to know about Himself in the bible.
    It remains a theory, one that that risks insulting Almighty God.
    Leave it alone and do not play with fire.

I think breaking one of his commandments would be worse… wouldnt you? After all he did state a lot of times to keep his commandments. :p

Hugs
    Phoenix

Participant

Quote (Nick Hassan @ Mar. 03 2007,05:04)

Quote (942767 @ Mar. 03 2007,04:41)

Hi Nick:

God Bless

Hi 94,

Hi Nick:

God Bless

Hi 94,
    Now neither gentile nor Jew.
    God does not have sons of division.

Yes Nick:

And I am not promoting division but seeking unity. I am not a gentile, but a new creation in Christ Jesus. The Israel of God, and I strive to obey the commandments that have come to me by God through Jesus my Lord, and not without making mistakes, and so, I thank God that by the blood that was shed for me by my Lord, I have forgiveness of my sins.

And so, what are you driving at by this conversation?

God Bless

NickHassan
    Participant

Quote (Phoenix @ Mar. 03 2007,05:19)
    Hi Nick

You said in another thread…

Hi,
    The trinity theory of God cannot be proven directly from the bible.
    The trinity theory about God should not be taught as it cannot be proven.
    God reveals all we need to know about Himself in the bible.
    It remains a theory, one that that risks insulting Almighty God.
    Leave it alone and do not play with fire.

I think breaking one of his commandments would be worse… wouldnt you? After all he did state a lot of times to keep his commandments.  :p

Hugs
    Phoenix

Hi P,
    Which are his commandments?
    How many are there?
    Should we assume they include God's commandments to the Jews?
    Did he ever state the ten commanments were his commandments?
    The danger of making this assumption is to miss all the other important commands he gave us.

Phoenix
    Participant

Hi Nick

Did he ever state the ten commanments were his commandments?

Deut 4:13
    13 He declared to you his covenant, the Ten Commandments, which he commanded you to follow and then wrote them on two stone tablets.

Hugs
    Phoenix

NickHassan
    Participant

Hi P,
    Those were the ten commandments God gave to the Jews through Moses.
    Where did Jesus say that these are his commandments?
    He gave of lots of his own commandments.

Faith First
    Participant

Rev 22:14  Blessed are they that do his commandments (entole), that they may have right to the tree of life, and may enter in through the gates into the city.
    Rev 22:15  For without are dogs, and sorcerers, and whoremongers, and murderers, and idolaters, and whosoever loveth and maketh a lie.

M42

First of all in my limited search, it seems the KJV has this verse misstranslated. This, of course, is nothing new for that version.

M42

NASB
    14Blessed are those who wash their robes, so that they may have the right to the tree of life, and may enter by the gates into the city.

The KJV translation is correct. Some of the modern translation have translated this verse wrongly.

The word “entole” is literally translated commandment from the Greek.

Rev 22:14  Blessed are they that do his commandments (entole), that they may have right to the tree of life, and may enter in through the gates into the city.

G1785
    ἐντολή
    entolē
    en-tol-ay'
    From G1781; injunction, that is, an authoritative prescription: – commandment, precept.

The new testament also equates “entole” with the Ten Commandments. See the following.

19:17   And he said unto him, Why callest thou me good? [there is] none good but one, [that is], God: but if thou wilt enter into life, keep the commandments (entole).  
     19:18   He saith unto him, Which? Jesus said, Thou shalt do no murder, Thou shalt not commit adultery, Thou shalt not steal, Thou shalt not bear false witness,  
     19:19   Honour thy father and [thy] mother: and, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself.  

15:3   But he answered and said unto them, Why do ye also transgress the commandment  (entole)of God by your tradition?  
     15:4   For God commanded, saying, Honour thy father and mother:

15:6   And honour not his father or his mother, [he shall be free]. Thus have ye made the commandment (entole) of God of none effect by your tradition.  

Mark  7:9   And he said unto them, Full well ye reject the commandment (entole) of God, that ye may keep your own tradition.  
     7:10   For Moses said, Honour thy father and thy mother;

10:19   Thou knowest the commandments (entole), Do not commit adultery, Do not kill, Do not steal, Do not bear false witness, Defraud not, Honour thy father and mother.  

Mathew 5:19   Whosoever therefore shall break one of these least commandments (entole), and shall teach men so, he shall be called the least in the kingdom of heaven: but whosoever shall do and teach [them], the same shall be called great in the kingdom of heaven.  
       5:21   Ye have heard that it was said by them of old time, Thou shalt not kill; and whosoever shall kill shall be in danger of the judgment:  

Rev 22:15  For without are dogs, and sorcerers, and whoremongers, and murderers, and idolaters, and whosoever loveth and maketh a lie.

“What says the Bible, the blessed Bible

This my only question be.

The teachings of men so often mislead us

What says the Bible to me?”

Faith First
    Participant

Quote (kenrch @ Mar. 02 2007,18:57)
    Quote (Nick Hassan @ Mar. 02 2007,18:25)
    yes

Thank you Nick.

But does that include the forth commandment?

Hi kenrch,
    Yes, in the way of freedom God would have us follow it. All days are a sabbath to those who rest in Christ from their own spiritual efforts and go into the temple daily.

Nick. Kenrch is referring to the fourth commandment. Only the seventh day is the “Sabbath of the LORD thy God” Exo 20:10

kenrch
    Participant

Quote (music4two @ Mar. 03 2007,00:56)

Quote (kenrch @ Mar. 02 2007,21:04)
    And what does that change?

You know I posted information on here for those who might find interest. You seem to have such anger toward anyone resembling a human teacher that you imediately go to the attack. I brought in the Hebrew meanings of words not to argue with you but to add a richness to the discussion and a beter understanding of the terms under discussion. If you will go back and read you will see that my original post about the Hebrew was not diected toward you in any way, yet you seem to take affront to it because it quotes an outside “human” source.   My posts have been under constant attack from you and it's getting really old.
    Anyone can quote scriptures and claim a spiritual understanding of them. An honest man will not only listen to his spirit, but will research the matter and read what others have discoverd about the subject before coming to a conclusion. A man that loves the word will want the fullest and most compleat understanding of the words God has spoken.
    If you have a problem with human teachers, I suggest it is your problem. If all you want out of life is you, your English bible and God, that's fine. it is unfortunate for you that God designed you to also have man in your life. It is not good that man should be alone, but your constant berating and judgemental attitude toward anyone trying to teach or just give out information, will eventually make you very much alone and I am very sad for you. Remember no one is an island unto himself. God designed every joint to supply and fit together. you are designed to give help but also to recieve it. Believe me. you do not posses all the truth yet. there are others that can teach you much.

M42,

“If all you want out of life is you, your English bible and God, that's fine”.  

If the person teaching is using scripture (God's word) and I receive witness in my spirit then I accept what that person is teaching.  I certainly don't find myself alone in that reguard.

YES that's what I want the word written in my language AND GOD.  Why what do you want?

If you wish to teach me then by all means do so using the WORD of GOD.  It seems to me that you are very l o n g winded about showing your intellect.

“Anyone can quote scriptures and claim a spiritual understanding of them. An honest man will not only listen to his spirit,** but will research the matter and read what others have discoverd about the subject before coming to a conclusion”.  
    What if the person disagrees with the Holy Spirit?  If you say then the person is wrong then why do you need his insight.

Don't you trust the Holy Spirit?  Scripture is given and the Spirit of God agrees; why would you need anything else?!

I suppose to impress people.  I don't need a long winded explanation of the truth I already know.  What I need is MORE truth.

The bible is not a collage text book. One needs to study the word under the guidance of it's author.  

1Co 2:12  But we received, not the spirit of the world, but the spirit which is from God; that we might know the things that were freely given to us of God.
    1Co 2:13  Which things also we speak, not in words which man's wisdom teacheth, but which the Spirit teacheth; combining spiritual things with spiritual words.
    1Co 2:14  Now the natural man receiveth not the things of the Spirit of God: for they are foolishness unto him; and he cannot know them, because they are spiritually judged.

1Co 2:4  And my speech and my preaching were not in persuasive words of wisdom, but in demonstration of the Spirit and of power:
    1Co 2:5  that your faith should not stand in the wisdom of men, but in the power of God.

1Co 1:17  For Christ sent me not to baptize, but to preach the gospel: not in wisdom of words, lest the cross of Christ should be made void.

1Ti 6:3  If any man teacheth a different doctrine, and consenteth not to sound words, even the words of our Lord Jesus Christ, and to the doctrine which is according to godliness;
    1Ti 6:4  he is puffed up, knowing nothing, but doting about questionings and disputes of words, whereof cometh envy, strife, railings, evil surmisings,

You say I don't trust any man you are correct.  Until that man proves himself by using the word of God and the Holy Spirit agrees with him then I don't trust him.  That's how one is deceived.  Many denominations are full of such people.  They trust their Pastor (scholar) man with their salvation.  Satan has many ways to deceive and knowledge is one of them.  This man is a scholar, but is he a man of GOD?

I will no longer respond to your post.  I don't need attacks and I'm tired of defending myself and the word of God.  If you wish to show off then show off to someone else I'm not impressed with your lack of trust in the Holy Spirit and trust in man.  Maybe someone else can help you.

IHL,

kenrch

NickHassan
    Participant

Hi FF,
    You say
    “The new testament also equates “entole” with the Ten Commandments. See the following.

19:17 And he said unto him, Why callest thou me good? [there is] none good but one, [that is], God: but if thou wilt enter into life, keep the commandments (entole).
    19:18 He saith unto him, Which? Jesus said, Thou shalt do no murder, Thou shalt not commit adultery, Thou shalt not steal, Thou shalt not bear false witness,
    19:19 Honour thy father and [thy] mother: and, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself. “

Context.
    Jesus was asked by a Jew what he should DO-works.
    He was referred back to the ten commandments.
    He wanted more-he was offered the WAY of following Jesus.

Mat 19
    “16And, behold, one came and said unto him, Good Master, what good thing shall I do, that I may have eternal life?

17And he said unto him, Why callest thou me good? there is none good but one, that is, God: but if thou wilt enter into life, keep the commandments.

18He saith unto him, Which? Jesus said, Thou shalt do no murder, Thou shalt not commit adultery, Thou shalt not steal, Thou shalt not bear false witness,

19Honour thy father and thy mother: and, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself.

20The young man saith unto him, All these things have I kept from my youth up: what lack I yet?

21Jesus said unto him, If thou wilt be perfect, go and sell that thou hast, and give to the poor, and thou shalt have treasure in heaven: and come and follow me.

22But when the young man heard that saying, he went away sorrowful: for he had great possessions.

23Then said Jesus unto his disciples, Verily I say unto you, That a rich man shall hardly enter into the kingdom of heaven.

24And again I say unto you, It is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle, than for a rich man to enter into the kingdom of God.”

A commandment anyway is a commandment whether it is one of the ten or nor.

Phoenix
    Participant

Hi

I dont know where his head is. But its commonsense to keep ALL Ten commandments not 9 of them. And what is the purpose of worship on the Sunday?? because they first thought it was the sabbath till scripture proved them wrong. Now they are using the excuse that its done away with or it was moved.

*shakes head* Bad Call.

Hugs
    Phoenix

NickHassan
    Participant

Hi P,
    Beware of the leaven of the pharisees.
    That leaven still teaches salvation by works.
    Whoever wants to save his own life will lose it.
    Seek first the kingdom and everything else will be added to you.
    It only leads to self righteousness as in the eyes of God our own works are as filthy rags.
    Pharisees still find fault with the works of men but our works are hidden in Christ and we are covered by his robe.

kenrch
    Participant

Quote (Nick Hassan @ Mar. 03 2007,18:22)
    Hi P,
    Beware of the leaven of the pharisees.
    That leaven still teaches salvation by works.
    Whoever wants to save his own life will lose it.
    Seek first the kingdom and everything else will be added to you.
    It only leads to self righteousness as in the eyes of God our own works are as filthy rags.
    Pharisees still find fault with the works of men but our works are hidden in Christ and we are covered by his robe.

Nick are we back to saying that the Ten Commandments are just for Jews?

Simply put if you walk according to the spirit you will keep the commandments.

Rom 7:14 For we know that the law is spiritual: but I am carnal, sold under sin.

Rom 8:4 That the righteousness of the law might be fulfilled in us, who walk not after the flesh, but after the Spirit.

Rom 3:31 Do we then make void the law through faith? God forbid: yea, we establish the law.

————–
    2Co 3:17 Now the Lord is the Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.
    ——————————————————————————–

Nick Hassan

Group: Admins

——————————————————————————–
    yes

————–
    Test all things. Hold fast to what is good

You were agreeing that if you walk in the Spirit you keep the Commandments, Right?

NickHassan
    Participant

Hi kenrch,
    Ready to walk in the Spirit yet or want to go back to just observing a set of rules? The Spirit cannot lead you unless you let go the control and let Him. God will lead you to obey the law of love.

kenrch
    Participant

Quote (Nick Hassan @ Mar. 03 2007,08:40)
    Hi P,
    Those were the ten commandments God gave to the Jews through Moses.
    Where did Jesus say that these are his commandments?
    He gave of lots of his own commandments.

I would like to know. Besides love what other commandments did Jesus give. I always wanted to know.

Viewing 20 posts - 261 through 280 (of 541 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 1999 - 2024 Heaven Net

Navigation

© 1999 - 2023 - Heaven Net
or

or    

Forgot your details?

or

Create Account