The Nature of Faith

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 14 posts - 381 through 394 (of 394 total)
  • Author
    NickHassan
    Participant

Hi Tow,
    Lack of useful faith stops some from using their talents.
    He wondered if any would remain when he returns.
    But the works do continue, but not that you would notice.

Towshab
    Participant

You're right. Me and the rest of the world sees none of it. At least no one is writing about it or filming it and they seem to film everything on youtube.

NickHassan
    Participant

Hi tow,
    Are you into spectator sport?

Towshab
    Participant

Sure. At this point I see very little value in Christianity besides watching for entertainment. Do you have a Pay-per-view channel for faith healings and exorcisms?

Stu
    Participant

Quote (Towshab @ Jan. 16 2008,09:07)

Quote (Nick Hassan @ Jan. 15 2008,15:36)
    Hi Tow,
    It is possible.
    But lower roles are preferable.
    “My yoke is easy and my burden is light”

That has nothing whatsoever to do with the works you are supposed to be able to accomplish. You can't even seem to properly apply your own bible.

Mat 11:28  Come to me, all who labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest.
    Mat 11:29  Take my yoke upon you, and learn from me, for I am gentle and lowly in heart, and you will find rest for your souls.
    Mat 11:30  For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light.”

This applies to those who are weary, mostly in spirit, and laiden with the load of sin. Its a shame when a non-Christian has to teach a Christian the meaning of a GT passage.

I always thought it referred to the fact that if you take up christian belief there will no need for you to think for yourself anymore.

Stuart

Towshab
    Participant

Quote (Stu @ Jan. 16 2008,02:13)

Quote (Towshab @ Jan. 16 2008,09:07)

Quote (Nick Hassan @ Jan. 15 2008,15:36)
    Hi Tow,
    It is possible.
    But lower roles are preferable.
    “My yoke is easy and my burden is light”

That has nothing whatsoever to do with the works you are supposed to be able to accomplish. You can't even seem to properly apply your own bible.

Mat 11:28 Come to me, all who labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest.
    Mat 11:29 Take my yoke upon you, and learn from me, for I am gentle and lowly in heart, and you will find rest for your souls.
    Mat 11:30 For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light.”

This applies to those who are weary, mostly in spirit, and laiden with the load of sin. Its a shame when a non-Christian has to teach a Christian the meaning of a GT passage.

I always thought it referred to the fact that if you take up christian belief there will no need for you to think for yourself anymore.

Stuart

Well, that too but I was trying to give a more common interpretation :laugh:.

acertainchap
    Participant

Quote (Stu @ Jan. 16 2008,19:13)

Stuart

Not true, but having the mind of Christ is essential.

1 Corinthians 2:14-16

14 The man without the Spirit does not accept the things that come from the Spirit of God, for they are foolishness to him, and he cannot understand them, because they are spiritually discerned. 15The spiritual man makes judgments about all things, but he himself is not subject to any man's judgment: 16 “For who has known the mind of the Lord that he may instruct him?” But we have the mind of Christ.

:)

Stu
    Participant

Quote (acertainchap @ Jan. 17 2008,11:22)

Quote (Stu @ Jan. 16 2008,19:13)

Stuart

Not true, but having the mind of Christ is essential.

1 Corinthians 2:14-16

14 The man without the Spirit does not accept the things that come from the Spirit of God, for they are foolishness to him, and he cannot understand them, because they are spiritually discerned. 15The spiritual man makes judgments about all things, but he himself is not subject to any man's judgment: 16  “For who has known the mind of the Lord that he may instruct him?” But we have the mind of Christ.

:)

Aren't you special then.

Stuart

NickHassan
    Participant

Hi,
    How is this for a boastful statement from one of the missionaries of doubt

“If He thought I needed such to prove Himself to me. Yet He knows my heart and knows I am not lacking in faith like you, the one who needs such crutches to believe in His awesome might. “

Thanks Tow.

Stu
    Participant

The history of church architecture in Europe is the history of the vanity (and boastfulness) of the rich, who very often were repaid for their generous contributions to churchbuilding by clerical promises of favours in the hereafter.

I believe it is disputed that the Medici Pope Leo X ever said “What profit has not that fable of Christ brought us!”. I bet though that is the secret though of many a televangelist.

I'm not implying that Nick you would endorse this kind of thing, I'm sure you don't. Nevertheless, the history of christianity is riddled with self-interest.

Stuart

NickHassan
    Participant

Hi Stu,
    FYI both t8 and I are fulltime workers in the world's community and earn nothing from any religious group involvement but we help support this site.

Towshab
    Participant

Quote (Nick Hassan @ Jan. 17 2008,23:02)
    Hi,
    How is this for a boastful statement from one of the missionaries of doubt

“If He thought I needed such to prove Himself to me. Yet He knows my heart and knows I am not lacking in faith like you, the one who needs such crutches to believe in His awesome might. “

Thanks Tow.

That's not boastful, that's just saying I don't need to believe in miracles in a book when I have the wonders of creation before my eyes to view day in and day out. My faith does not hang on words written by men thousands of years ago.

Towshab
    Participant

Quote (Stu @ Jan. 18 2008,02:44)
    The history of church architecture in Europe is the history of the vanity (and boastfulness) of the rich, who very often were repaid for their generous contributions to churchbuilding by clerical promises of favours in the hereafter.

I believe it is disputed that the Medici Pope Leo X ever said “What profit has not that fable of Christ brought us!”. I bet though that is the secret though of many a televangelist.

I'm not implying that Nick you would endorse this kind of thing, I'm sure you don't. Nevertheless, the history of christianity is riddled with self-interest.

Stuart

There were two men shipwrecked on this island. The minute they got on to the island one of them started screaming and yelling, “We're going to die! We're going to die! There's no food! No water! We're going to Die!”

The second man was propped up against a palm tree and acting so calmly it drove the first man crazy. “Don't you understand?!? We're going to die!!”

The second man replied, “You don't understand, I make $100,000 a week.”

The first man looked at him quite dumbfounded and asked, “What difference does that make?!? We're on an island with no food and no water! We're going to DIE!!!”

The second man answered, “You just don't get it. I make $100,000 a week and I tithe ten percent on that $100,000 a week. My pastor will find me!

NickHassan
    Participant

Hi tow,
    Were these the guys who made shipwreck of their faith?
    1 Timothy 1:19
    Holding faith, and a good conscience; which some having put away concerning faith have made shipwreck:

Viewing 14 posts - 381 through 394 (of 394 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 1999 - 2024 Heaven Net

Navigation

© 1999 - 2023 - Heaven Net
or

or    

Forgot your details?

or

Create Account