The gift of tongues

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 20 posts - 161 through 180 (of 438 total)
  • Author
    NickHassan
    Participant

Hi david,
    Surely you speak with experience on this matter? This is one of the gifts of the Spirit that all should have. Yes it can be known languages but also unknown perhaps even angelic too?
    1Cor 14
    2For he that speaketh in an unknown tongue speaketh not unto men, but unto God: for no man understandeth him; howbeit in the spirit he speaketh mysteries.
    1Cor 14
     13Wherefore let him that speaketh in an unknown tongue pray that he may interpret.

14For if I pray in an unknown tongue, my spirit prayeth, but my understanding is unfruitful.
    1Cor 14
    5I would that ye all spake with tongues but rather that ye prophesied: for greater is he that prophesieth than he that speaketh with tongues, except he interpret, that the church may receive edifying.
    1Cor 12
    10To another the working of miracles; to another prophecy; to another discerning of spirits; to another divers kinds of tongues; to another the interpretation of tongues:
    1Cor 12
    28And God hath set some in the church, first apostles, secondarily prophets, thirdly teachers, after that miracles, then gifts of healings, helps, governments, diversities of tongues.
    1Cor 13
     1Though I speak with the tongues of men and of angels, and have not charity, I am become as sounding brass, or a tinkling cymbal.
    1Cor 13
    8Charity never faileth: but whether there be prophecies, they shall fail; whether there be tongues, they shall cease; whether there be knowledge, it shall vanish away

If we do not yet speak in tongues why would we limit the work of God by not asking for it??

david
    Participant

This is one of the gifts of the Spirit that all should have.

Really? Which scripture says that Nick?

I was simply quoting scripture.

Yes it can be known languages but also unknown perhaps even angelic too?

If the trumpet sounds an indistinct call, who will get ready for the battle?

If we do not yet speak in tongues why would we limit the work of God by not asking for it??

What do you consider to be the work of God and how is speaking in tongues related in your opinion?

NickHassan
    Participant

Hi david,
    You ask

“This is one of the gifts of the Spirit that all should have.  

Really?  Which scripture says that Nick?”

1 Corinthians 14:5

“I would that ye all spake with tongues but rather that ye prophesied: for greater is he that prophesieth than he that speaketh with tongues, except he interpret, that the church may receive edifying.”

The church is edified by tongues with interpretation and we all need to be greatly edified by the Spirit of God do you not agree?

david
    Participant

And a couple verses later, we find these interesting words:

1 CORINTHIANS 14:7-9
    “As it is, the inanimate things give off sound, whether a flute or a harp; unless it makes an interval to the tones, how will it be known what is being played on the flute or on the harp? For truly, if the trumpet sounds an indistinct call, who will get ready for battle? In the same way also, unless YOU through the tongue utter speech easily understood, how will it be known what is being spoken? YOU will, in fact, be speaking into the air.”

NickHassan
    Participant

Quote (david @ Nov. 02 2006,06:41)
    And a couple verses later, we find these interesting words:

1 CORINTHIANS 14:7-9
    “As it is, the inanimate things give off sound, whether a flute or a harp; unless it makes an interval to the tones, how will it be known what is being played on the flute or on the harp? For truly, if the trumpet sounds an indistinct call, who will get ready for battle? In the same way also, unless YOU through the tongue utter speech easily understood, how will it be known what is being spoken? YOU will, in fact, be speaking into the air.”

Hi david,
    And in context to continue
    1Cor 14

” 13Wherefore let him that speaketh in an unknown tongue pray that he may interpret. “

Surely you would not decry or mock one of the aspects of the work of God's Spirit among men??

david
    Participant

I only am trying to point out the purpose behind why this was done in the first century.

NickHassan
    Participant

Hi david,
    And now of course. Nothing has changed.

NickHassan
    Participant

Hi,
    One of the gifts of the Spirit.

Participant

topical

Participant

Hi Laurel:

I brought this thread because of the following statement that you made:

If you hear people “babeling” that is NOT speaking in tongues.  Speaking in tongues is merely speaking another language that you did not know how to speak. I speak English. If I suddenly began to teach who is the Messiah to a Jew, and spoke in Hebrew, a language I never learned how to speak, this is speaking in tongues.  Anything else is from the evil one!

The Pharisees accused Jesus of casting out devils by the Spirit of the devil, and so my good advice to you is to teach what you believe to be the truth, but leave off statements like,

Anything else is from the evil one!

This is where I disagree with you and Ken in that you make these judgmental statements.

God Bless

kenrch
    Participant

Quote (942767 @ Oct. 08 2007,05:10)
    Hi Laurel:

If you hear people “babeling” that is NOT speaking in tongues.  Speaking in tongues is merely speaking another language that you did not know how to speak. I speak English. If I suddenly began to teach who is the Messiah to a Jew, and spoke in Hebrew, a language I never learned how to speak, this is speaking in tongues.  Anything else is from the evil one!

The Pharisees accused Jesus of casting out devils by the Spirit of the devil, and so my good advice to you is to teach what you believe to be the truth, but leave off statements like,

This is where I disagree with you and Ken in that you make these judgmental statements.

God Bless

Why are you draging me in this 94? Are you NOT judging me? I didn't say a word about tongues but I will NOW.

There are two kinds of tongues. The one in acts and the one in 1Cor 14:1. One is to spread the gospel the other is a Spiritual prayer language. Everyone speaking in their “prayer language” at the same time is UNscriptural isn't that what Paul said.

I won't even bother to give scripture …for what? :(

That's the way I SEE it. That's the way I use my spiritual language in my prayer closet where it should be. :)

:D

kenrch
    Participant

Sorry that should be 1Cor 14:2.

1Co 14:2 For one who speaks in a tongue speaks not to men but to God; for no one understands him, but he utters mysteries in the Spirit.

Act 2:6 And at this sound the multitude came together, and they were bewildered, because each one was hearing them speak in his own language.

One tongue is between your spirit and God. The other in ACTS was to spread the gospel to the nations.

Participant

Quote (kenrch @ Oct. 08 2007,08:59)

Quote (942767 @ Oct. 08 2007,05:10)
    Hi Laurel:

God Bless

Why are you draging me in this 94?  Are you NOT judging me?  I didn't say a word about tongues but I will NOW.

There are two kinds of tongues.  The one in acts and the one in 1Cor 14:1.  One is to spread the gospel the other is a Spiritual prayer language.  Everyone speaking in their “prayer language” at the same time is UNscriptural isn't that what Paul said.

I won't even bother to give scripture …for what? :(

That's the way I SEE it.  That's the way I use my spiritual language in my prayer closet where it should be. :)

:D

Hi Ken:

If you will read my post, you will see that I was not referring to your knowledge on this subject, but rather to the judgmental statement that Laurel made, “anything else is from the evil one”, which is similar to the statements that you made when discussing your understanding of the Sabbath.

But I do agree with what you say relative to the types of tongues.  We are not supposed to speak in tongues in public unless there is someone to interpret so that the church can be edified, but sometimes when a person receives the Holy Ghost they will speak in tongues which is evidence that they have received the Holy Ghost(Acts 10:46) such as those in Cornelius party.

God Bless

kenrch
    Participant

What statement did I make on tongues for you to say I'm judgmental.

I keep telling you I don't judge that is the Law's job. And apparently it's doing it's job.

This is not the right thread to talk about the forth commandment.

So I'll shut up :)

God bless,

Ken :)

thehappyman
    Participant

Hi All,
    Tongues ? Are they necessary ? Hmm. It worthy to be given instruction. Do People abuse it , hmm only the Holy Spirit leads us in all truth. In a church where it edifices the whole body with an interpreter is scriptural. It is dangerous for any one to say that the Holy Spirit speaks in an unknown tongue through a person is evil or is of the Devil. This is close to blaspheming Him. So many have spoken this in defense of their denominational teaching. Ask God for the gift and you will know the difference once you received it. .And that's my 2 cents worth. ………..lol……………..

Hi All!

1 Cor 14:
    Pursue love, yet desire earnestly spiritual {gifts,} but especially that you may prophesy.
    2 For one who speaks in a tongue does not speak to men but to God; for no one understands, but in his spirit he speaks mysteries.
    3  But one who prophesies speaks to men for edification and exhortation and consolation.
    4 He that speaketh in an unknown tongue edifieth himself; but he that prophesieth edifieth the church.
    5 I would that ye all spake with tongues, but rather that ye prophesied: for greater is he that prophesieth than he that speaketh with tongues, except he interpret, that the church may receive edifying.

13 Therefore let one who speaks in a tongue pray that he may interpret.
    14 if I pray in a tongue, my spirit prays, but my mind is unfruitful.
    15 What is it then? pray with the spirit, and I will pray with the understanding also: I will sing with the spirit, and I will sing with the understanding also.

I would also like to add that being filled and staying filled with the Spirit I believe is done as we use our prayer language. We can speak in tongues under our breath or when we are alone at all times. Here is some interesting scriptures on this subject…

Rom 8:26 NASB
    In the same way the Spirit also helps our weakness; for we do not know how to pray as we should, but the Spirit Himself intercedes for us with groanings too deep for words;
    27 and He who searches the hearts knows what the mind of the Spirit is, because He intercedes for the saints according to the will of God.

It is possible to pray always as Paul speaks and I believe this is how he done it.

1 Thess 5:17
    Pray without ceasing.

1 Tim 2:8
    I will therefore that men pray every where, lifting up holy hands, without wrath and doubting.

Eph 6:18
    Praying always with all prayer and supplication in the Spirit, and watching thereunto with all perseverance and supplication for all saints;

Paul says we can pray “with the Spirit” and we can pray “with our understanding”. He also says that we can sing “with the Spirit” and sing “with our understanding.

Worship and prayer go together in being filled with the Spirit. We can also sing in the Spirit.

Eph 5:18
    And be not drunk with wine, wherein is excess; but be filled with the Spirit;
    19 Speaking to yourselves in psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, singing and making melody in your heart to the Lord;

Col 3:16
    Let the word of Christ dwell in you richly in all wisdom; teaching and admonishing one another in psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, singing with grace in your hearts to the Lord.

Jude 1:20
    But ye, beloved, building up yourselves on your most holy faith, praying in the Holy Ghost,

Praying in the Spirit also builds our faith. So let us as Paul says be filled with the Spirit. And we will truly know what it means to have fullness of Joy and experience the Abundant life Yeshua spoke of.

Blessings!  :D

Not3in1
    Participant

I grew up in a church where everyone spoke in tongues (all the time). It was distracing and disorderly, not to mention LOUD! As a kid I thought it was kinda cool, and kinda scary. When I went to teen camp I received my “prayer language” is what they called it. Although to be honest, it never felt right to me. I maybe tried to pray in this babbling tounge for a while but then quit.

I pray in the spirit alright, just not with tongues. I feel at peace with this. But I know quite a few people struggle with this and feel like they need to have this language as a “sign” of their salvation. We are saved through grace, not tongues.

kejonn
    Participant

Quote (thehappyman @ Oct. 08 2007,23:43)
    Hi All,
    Tongues ? Are they necessary ? Hmm. It worthy to be given instruction. Do People abuse it , hmm only the Holy Spirit leads us in all truth. In a church where it edifices the whole body with an interpreter is scriptural. It is dangerous for any one to say that the Holy Spirit speaks in an unknown tongue through a person is evil or is of the Devil. This is close to blaspheming Him. So many have spoken this in defense of their denominational teaching. Ask God for the gift and you will know the difference once you received it. .And that's my 2 cents worth. ………..lol……………..

Hey happyman,

Only one point of contention here: we are given our gifts when we receive the Holy Spirit. So we can't really pray for a gift but we can pray that our gifts will be revealed.

kejonn
    Participant

Quote (Not3in1 @ Oct. 09 2007,02:33)
    I grew up in a church where everyone spoke in tongues (all the time). It was distracing and disorderly, not to mention LOUD! As a kid I thought it was kinda cool, and kinda scary. When I went to teen camp I received my “prayer language” is what they called it. Although to be honest, it never felt right to me. I maybe tried to pray in this babbling tounge for a while but then quit.

I pray in the spirit alright, just not with tongues. I feel at peace with this. But I know quite a few people struggle with this and feel like they need to have this language as a “sign” of their salvation. We are saved through grace, not tongues.

Not3,

I remember someone trying to witness to me in a mall one day. As soon as he found out I had already received Christ, he went immediately into whether or not I spoke in tongues. I politely thanked him for his efforts and then prayed that God would not allow him (the witness) to turn many people away from the gospel of Christ.

There is nothing wrong with tongues, it is a gift, but some act as if we are all supposed to do so as they did the day of Pentecost. People seem not to realize that they spoke in tongues of other human languages so that the people could understand what they said. It was a special outpouring of the Spirit that day, and specifically for the task of reaching many people who spoke and understood different human languages. Do you see the Apostles speaking in tongues again any time after that point?

Mr. Steve
    Participant

To all;

Throughout the book of Acts the Holy Spirit was poured out with the evidence of speaking in other tongues, not only Acts 2. Please see Acts 8:15-19, 10:44, 11:15, and 19:2-6. Normally the Holy Ghost was given by the laying on of hands, but not always. Paul told Timothy not to neglect the gift that was given to him by the laying on of Paul's hands.

Take Care

Steven

Viewing 20 posts - 161 through 180 (of 438 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 1999 - 2024 Heaven Net

Navigation

© 1999 - 2023 - Heaven Net
or

or    

Forgot your details?

or

Create Account