The gift of tongues

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 20 posts - 221 through 240 (of 438 total)
  • Author
    IM4Truth
    Participant

Ha, Guys I speak German. Does that count? Moechten Sie was lernen, meine Herren? Das ist wunderbar das ich mal wieder Deutsch sprechen kann. Ja, mann kann was lernen hier.
    Now would you like to know what I said? You never know who might come here.
    I said” Do you want to learn, Gentleman? That would be wonderful, that I could speak German again. Yes, you can learn here.

So speaking in tongues should always be done with an Interpreter, that is my understanding about the subject. I don't think running around serves anybody, do you? Neither speaking in a another language when we are in America. Ha. Yes I am an American Citizen long time ago.

Peace and Love Mrs. :D :D :D

Samuel
    Participant

Well thats just wonderful…lol

But I know that if your in your prayer closet praying and you speak in tongues …and your the only one around…its probably the Holy Ghost speaking for you…praying whats really in your heart…those things you don't even want to utter out loud…those things you have in those rooms in your heart you want god to help you clean out…but you don't want to speak them out loud for fear someone might hear you. ***let me quit using the word “YOU” here***

Some people don't want to CRY OUT to GOD or JESUS for help…they feel ashamed…or they don't want people to hear them.

Mark 10 (King James Version)
    46And they came to Jericho: and as he went out of Jericho with his disciples and a great number of people, blind Bartimaeus, the son of Timaeus, sat by the highway side begging.

47And when he heard that it was Jesus of Nazareth, he began to cry out, and say, Jesus, thou son of David, have mercy on me.

48And many charged him that he should hold his peace: but he cried the more a great deal, Thou son of David, have mercy on me.

49And Jesus stood still, and commanded him to be called. And they call the blind man, saying unto him, Be of good comfort, rise; he calleth thee.

50And he, casting away his garment, rose, and came to Jesus.

51And Jesus answered and said unto him, What wilt thou that I should do unto thee? The blind man said unto him, Lord, that I might receive my sight.

52And Jesus said unto him, Go thy way; thy faith hath made thee whole. And immediately he received his sight, and followed Jesus in the way.

GOD knows what your going through, before you even ask. Your his child. Think about your child or people that have children…when you hear them screaming at the top of their lungs from another room….? What are you going to do? When you Cry out to Jesus…what do you thinks going to happen? Same deal.

Quote (kejonn @ Oct. 12 2007,23:53)
    WJ,

Paul says he wished that moire would speak in tongues, and that he spoke in more tongues than anyone else. Think about his ministry, and think about who he spoke to.

Paul was the apostle to the Gentiles. The Jews likely spoke Aramaic. But as Acts 2 says, there were many from all around who spoke other languages. Now think about the many languages the Gentiles spoke. In order to reach these Gentiles in the many places he traveled, how would they understand him if he could not speak in their language? That is why he said he spoke more because he was more widely traveled than those he was writing too! But he wished they would speak in other languages so that they too could spread the Gospel to others.

For the word “tongues”, Strongs says

G1100
    γλῶσσα
    glōssa
    gloce'-sah
    Of uncertain affinity; the tongue; by implication a language (specifically one naturally unacquired): – tongue.

The outline on blueletterbible.org says

the language or dialect used by a particular people distinct from that of other nations

Vines says

the supernatural gift of speaking in another language without its having been learnt;” in Act 2:4-13 the circumstances are recorded from the viewpoint of the hearers; to those in whose language the utterances were made it appeared as a supernatural phenomenon; to others, the stammering of drunkards; what was uttered was not addressed primarily to the audience but consisted in recounting “the mighty works of God;” cp. Act 2:46; in 1 Cor., chapters 12 and 14, the use of the gift of “tongues” is mentioned as exercised in the gatherings of local churches; 1Cr 12:10 speaks of the gift in general terms, and couples with it that of “the interpretation of tongues;” chapt. 14 gives instruction concerning the use of the gift, the paramount object being the edification of the church; unless the “tongue” was interpreted the speaker would speak “not unto men, but unto God,” 1Cr 14:2; he would edify himself alone, 1Cr 14:4, unless he interpreted, 1Cr 14:5, in which case his interpretation would be of the same value as the superior gift of prophesying, as he would edify the church, 1Cr 14:4-6; he must pray that he may interpret, 1Cr 14:13; if there were no interpreter, he must keep silence, 1Cr 14:28, for all things were to be done “unto edifying,” 1Cr 14:26. “If I come … speaking with tongues, what shall I profit you,” says the Apostle (expressing the great object in all oral ministry), “unless I speak to you either by way of revelation, or of knowledge, or of prophesying, or of teaching?” ( 1Cr 14:6). “Tongues” were for a sign, not to believers, but to unbelievers, 1Cr 14:22, and especially to unbelieving Jews ( see 1Cr 14:21): cp. the passages in the Acts.

If someone in your church, or yourself, speaks in tongues, is it a discernible human language? French, Spanish, Chinese, Italian? Do you understand it when you speak?

kejonn

You say…

Paul says he wished that moire would speak in tongues, and that he spoke in more tongues than anyone else. Think about his ministry, and think about who he spoke to.

In context that is not at all what Paul is saying…

1 Cor 14:6
    Now, brethren, if I come unto you speaking with tongues, what shall I profit you, except I shall speak to you either by revelation, or by knowledge, or by prophesying, or by doctrine?
    7 And even things without life giving sound, whether pipe or harp, except they give a distinction in the sounds, how shall it be known what is piped or harped?
    8 For if the trumpet give an uncertain sound, who shall prepare himself to the battle?
    9 So likewise ye, except ye utter by the tongue words easy to be understood, how shall it be known what is spoken? for ye shall speak into the air].
    10 There are, it may be, so many kinds of voices in the world, and none of them is without signification.
    11 Therefore if I know not the meaning of the voice, I shall be unto him that speaketh a barbarian, and he that speaketh shall be a barbarian unto me.
    12 Even so ye, forasmuch as ye are zealous of spiritual gifts, seek that ye may excel to the edifying of the church.
    13 Wherefore let him that speaketh in an unknown tongue pray that he may interpret.
    14 For if I pray in an unknown tongue, my spirit prayeth, but my understanding is unfruitful.
    15 What is it then? I will pray with the spirit, and I will pray with the understanding also: I will sing with the spirit, and I will sing with the understanding also.
    16 Else when thou shalt bless with the spirit, how shall he that occupieth the room of the unlearned say Amen at thy giving of thanks, seeing he understandeth not what thou sayest?
    17 For thou verily givest thanks well, but the other is not edified.
    18I thank my God, I speak with tongues more than ye all:
    19 Yet in the church I had rather speak five words with my understanding, that by my voice I might teach others also, than ten thousand words in an unknown tongue.

Nowhere here is there an indication of speaking in greek or aramaic or other languages.

The tongues Paul is speaking of is “Unknown” and is for edification of the Church if an interpreter is present. If it Was a language there wouldnt need to be an interpreter.

Paul also talks about singing with his Spirit and with his understanding and praying with the Spirit and with his understanding.

Which confirms what he saiys earlier…

1 Cor 14:
    2 For one who speaks in a tongue does not speak to men but to God; for no one understands, but in his spirit he speaks mysteries.
    3 But one who prophesies speaks to men for edification and exhortation and consolation.
    4 One who speaks in a tongue edifies himself; but one who prophesies edifies the church.

15 What is the outcome then? I will pray with the spirit and I will pray with the mind also; I will sing with the spirit and I will sing with the mind also.

The gift is available to all.

Acts 2:38
    Then Peter said unto them, Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins, and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost.
    39 For the promise is unto you, and to your children, *and to all that are afar off, even as many as the Lord our God shall call*.

There is no indication in Peters words this outpouring would cease. For he said…

Acts 2:17
    And it shall come to pass in the last days, saith God, I will pour out of my Spirit upon all flesh: and your sons and your daughters shall prophesy, and your young men shall see visions, and your old men shall dream dreams:
    18 And on my servants and on my handmaidens I will pour out in those days of my Spirit; and they shall prophesy:
    19 And I will shew wonders in heaven above, and signs in the earth beneath; blood, and fire, and vapour of smoke:
    20 The sun shall be turned into darkness, and the moon into blood, before that great and notable day of the Lord come:
    21 And it shall come to pass, [that] whosoever shall call on the name of the Lord shall be sav
    ed.

The outpouring will be untill the Day of the Lord come. The return of Christ.

:)

Samuel
    Participant

I really think that this is a topic to tread lightly in.

I always have. Being as the bible states that blasphemy of the HOLY GHOST is a unforgivable sin.

Having said that…I feel that the spirit should not be quenched, or shut up. Although, I don't think you should be running around trying to speak in tongues just to get people to see that you are some type of spiritually stronger being…or for respect of persons…because no such thing exist with GOD…he has no respect of persons. Which is one reason why I have a really hard time with some churches and people trying to lay hands on you and shake people around trying to force the HOLY GHOST upon them. If that person is not right or God…Jesus has deemed them not capable of receiving the HOLY GHOST…it don't matter if you shake that person all day long or what you do…they are not going to get it. And, you just might very well force that person to try and fake it so that you'll leave them alone. Which is a bad thing.

Nonetheless, If you've never experienced the HOLY GHOST…I really suggest that you do. It feels really really really great! I'm serious.

But I think you are talking about people that speak in tongues “AT WILL”. I'm not sure about this…I know that I received the HOLY GHOST..and I still can't do this. But that don't mean that The spirit don't give people this ability.

Not3in1
    Participant

Bumped for Tertius!

Here is a thread with a lot of recent entries.

NickHassan
    Participant

Hi,
    When people are baptised in the Spirit in Acts then the gift of tongues is usually manifested.
    Is it essential? No.
    Is it valuable?
    I believe so and Paul too treasured the gift as he told the Corinthians.

NickHassan
    Participant

topical

NickHassan
    Participant

Hi LU,
    You wrote in another thread.

Hi Nick,
    How did you start speaking in tongues and how has it benefitted you? Do you understand what you are saying?
    LU

Many patient people prayed with me many many times before the tongue was gently loosened.
    I can understand if I pray for it but it gives amazing relief when I am troubled.

Jude
    20But ye, beloved, building up yourselves on your most holy faith, praying in the Holy Ghost,

Rom8
    23And not only they, but ourselves also, which have the firstfruits of the Spirit, even we ourselves groan within ourselves, waiting for the adoption, to wit, the redemption of our body.

24For we are saved by hope: but hope that is seen is not hope: for what a man seeth, why doth he yet hope for?

25But if we hope for that we see not, then do we with patience wait for it.

26Likewise the Spirit also helpeth our infirmities: for we know not what we should pray for as we ought: but the Spirit itself maketh intercession for us with groanings which cannot be uttered.

27And he that searcheth the hearts knoweth what is the mind of the Spirit, because he maketh intercession for the saints according to the will of God.

1Cor 12
    27Now ye are the body of Christ, and members in particular.

28And God hath set some in the church, first apostles, secondarily prophets, thirdly teachers, after that miracles, then gifts of healings, helps, governments, diversities of tongues.

29Are all apostles? are all prophets? are all teachers? are all workers of miracles?

30Have all the gifts of healing? do all speak with tongues? do all interpret?

31But covet earnestly the best gifts: and yet shew I unto you a more excellent way.

dirtyknections
    Participant

Paul said that these gifts would die out…the apostles left no sucessors…great apostacy would arise…wheat and weeds sheep and goats intermingle…

My belief is that anyone speaking in tongues is doing so because of demons….

Think about this…People are not inspired anymore..neither do people raise the dead anymore…those were also part of the gifts…people don't oviously possess the ability to foreknow and prophesy…

If the gift of raising the dead, prophesying, and foreknowing is not seen…then I believe just as Paul prophesied that these gifts died with the apostles and the first century congregation

NickHassan
    Participant

Hi DK,
    1cor 13
    8Charity never faileth: but whether there be prophecies, they shall fail; whether there be tongues, they shall cease; whether there be knowledge, it shall vanish away.

9For we know in part, and we prophesy in part.

10But when that which is perfect is come, then that which is in part shall be done away.

So when did he say they would cease?
    Opinion is no form of proof is it?

If the dead are not now raised is it because there is no longer enough faith on the earth?

Luke 18:8
    I tell you that he will avenge them speedily. Nevertheless when the Son of man cometh, shall he find faith on the earth?

dirtyknections
    Participant

Quote (Nick Hassan @ June 27 2008,09:28)
    Hi DK,
    1cor 13
    8Charity never faileth: but whether there be prophecies, they shall fail; whether there be tongues, they shall cease; whether there be knowledge, it shall vanish away.

10But when that which is perfect is come, then that which is in part shall be done away.

If the dead are not now raised is it because there is no longer enough faith on the earth?

I tell you that he will avenge them speedily. Nevertheless when the Son of man cometh, shall he find faith on the earth?

The dead are not raised now because those gifts would cease…you can't have some of the gifts “existing” and not them all…

Believe Paul..Paul said they would cease

dirtyknections
    Participant

Plus..what would be the point in a resurrection…if we could just raise the dead…again Paul said that those things would cease..and they have

NickHassan
    Participant

Quote (dirtyknections @ June 27 2008,10:34)

Hi DK,
    1cor 13

The dead are not raised now because those gifts would cease…you can't have some of the gifts “existing” and not them all…

Hi DK,
    When did he say these gifts would pass?
    Next week or in 2000 years?

God has not lost the ability to respond to faith

NickHassan
    Participant

Hi DK,
    This is from the eternal gospel in Lk 11
    13If ye then, being evil, know how to give good gifts unto your children: how much more shall your heavenly Father give the Holy Spirit to them that ask him?

dirtyknections
    Participant

Quote (Nick Hassan @ June 27 2008,10:55)
    Hi DK,
    This is from the eternal gospel in Lk 11
    13If ye then, being evil, know how to give good gifts unto your children: how much more shall your heavenly Father give the Holy Spirit to them that ask him?

Again…when you find somebody that has been raised from the dead recently..let me know…

Paul said they would cease…and they have brother Nick…

dirtyknections
    Participant

Quote (Nick Hassan @ June 27 2008,10:37)

Quote (dirtyknections @ June 27 2008,10:34)

Hi DK,
    1cor 13

Hi DK,
    When did he say these gifts would pass?
    Next week or in 2000 years?

God has not lost the ability to respond to faith

Those gifts ceasing…seem to have corresponded with the great apostacy..that Jesus said would arise…we know for a fact the apostles left no sucessors…and that the 1 century congregations were no more by 98 or so c.e.

This things are exactly why we don't see those gifts anymore..Just as Paul said

NickHassan
    Participant

Hi DK,
    SEEMS TO is not strong enough to build a doctrine on is it?

dirtyknections
    Participant

Quote (Nick Hassan @ June 27 2008,12:28)
    Hi DK,
    SEEMS TO is not strong enough to build a doctrine on is it?

better to try to stick to scripture….than to search the earth for the resurrected

NickHassan
    Participant

Hi DK,
    Indeed.
    The gifts are scriptural.
    The time of ending of the gifts is not written.

Of course you will not have what you do not believe in and thus do not ask for.

James 4:2
    Ye lust, and have not: ye kill, and desire to have, and cannot obtain: ye fight and war, yet ye have not, because ye ask not.

dirtyknections
    Participant

Quote (Nick Hassan @ June 27 2008,13:14)
    Hi DK,
    Indeed.
    The gifts are scriptural.
    The time of ending of the gifts is not written.

Of course you will not have what you do not believe in and thus do not ask for.

James 4:2
    Ye lust, and have not: ye kill, and desire to have, and cannot obtain: ye fight and war, yet ye have not, because ye ask not.

When the spirit gives you the ability to resurrect…I would like to know :;):

Viewing 20 posts - 221 through 240 (of 438 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 1999 - 2024 Heaven Net

Navigation

© 1999 - 2023 - Heaven Net
or

or    

Forgot your details?

or

Create Account