The gift of tongues

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 20 posts - 201 through 220 (of 438 total)
  • Author

Quote (Not3in1 @ Oct. 10 2007,19:23)

Quote (WorshippingJesus @ Oct. 10 2007,18:41)
    When I first got saved shortly after the Lord called me to preach on the streets.

Matthew 22:9
    Go to the street corners and invite to the banquet anyone you find.

Street ministry is the BEST!  WJ, you and I have so much in common.  :)

Jesus hung out with the sinner's – the tax collector's and drunks.  Today, he would probably be down on 1st Ave. with the coke heads and meth user's.  For the majority of Christians, it is a scary idea to put your life in danger and hit the streets with the gospel.  I tend to believe that while we are all supposed to share the gospel, certain folks are called to this area of specific ministry (just my opinion).

All – If you have never been a part of a witnessing team that goes to inner city streets – I encourage you to assemble a group together and GO!  Jesus will already be there…..

Amen! Not3

:)

david
    Participant

If you have never been a part of a witnessing team that goes to inner city streets – I encourage you to assemble a group together and GO!

Street witnessing is fun in that you get to choose who you want to talk to. Plus, there's often much more interesting people on streets then behind closed doors in houses.

david
    Participant

Basically, Paul was rebuking against the use of tongues for the mere sake of a sign or for drawing attention to one's self. If the gift of tongues was supposed to be a sign of spirituality, Paul is saying these people were using it as a way to show their spiritual superiority. Thus, he tells them that tongues are of no use if there is no one in the congregation who the tongue is meant for. Look ahead to the verse about tongues being for unbelievers. So if someone speaks in a strange tongue that no one understands — but God does of course understand — it is of no benefit to anyone except for your own self. And I don't beleive that Paul is saying that that benefit to yourself is a good thing but is much like when Yeshua said that various people had their reward for practicing righteousness before others. That is, they had the reward of being seen, but there was no reward for them from God for it.

well said.

Laurel
    Participant

To All,
    There is only one type of speaking in tounges, a gift so that the “teacher” may speak in the language to the listener, that the listener will comprehend. It is a gift given to for the only purpose to build up the body of Messiah.

Remember the Tower of Babel, Elohim confused the languages to prevent the pererted worship of men and creation. The mark of this sort of worship is it's fruit, and the fact that there is a transgression of the law, that does not lead to repentance, but to more sin.

Every time the word “tongues” is used in scripture it means language. Italian, Latin, Greek, Cherokee, English etc.

Before the tower of Babel was destroyed, all people spoke the same language.

Elohim destroyed the building of one world political/religous system. The gift of tounges, given expressly by Him, made it possible to speak to His chosen ones in their own languages. Our Creator always gives to His children a Way to hear Him.

Speaking in Babel, is exactly that. Moaning, babbeling, jibber-jabber, is “the other gospel.” It comes from SELF, the opposite of love. It is someone saying, look at me. how special I am.

There is only One who is to be admired, and He confused the tongues at Babel, and He makes it possible to communicate to His chosen each in their own tongue, to build up His body of true believers.

Anything else is no good!!!

Laurel
    Participant

Do not be decieved by your own lusts. The fruit looks good, but it is poison.

Participant

Hi All:

I am glad that this topic came up because I needed some understanding which I believe that I now have.

The Apostle Paul says:

1 Co14:1 Follow after charity, and desire spiritual gifts, but rather that ye may prophesy. 2 For he that speaketh in an unknown tongue speaketh not unto men, but unto God: for no man understandeth F53 him; howbeit in the spirit he speaketh mysteries

In that he says, “he that speaketh in an unknown tongue speaketh not unto men, BUT UNTO GOD”, he is not talking about the event which took place on the day of Penatcost because:

Acts 2:1 And when the day of Pentecost was fully come, they were all with one accord in one place. 2 And suddenly there came a sound from heaven as of a rushing mighty wind, and it filled all the house where they were sitting. 3 And there appeared unto them cloven tongues like as of fire, and it sat upon each of them. 4 And they were all filled with the Holy Ghost, and began to speak with other tongues, as the Spirit gave them utterance.

5 And there were dwelling at Jerusalem Jews, devout men, out of every nation under heaven. 6 Now when this was F3 noised abroad, the multitude came together, and were confounded, because that every man heard them speak in his own language. 7 And they were all amazed and marvelled, saying one to another, Behold, are not all these which speak Galilaeans? 8 And how hear we every man in our own tongue, wherein we were born? 9 Parthians, and Medes, and Elamites, and the dwellers in Mesopotamia, and in Judaea, and Cappadocia, in Pontus, and Asia, 10 Phrygia, and Pamphylia, in Egypt, and in the parts of Libya about Cyrene, and strangers of Rome, Jews and proselytes, 11 Cretes and Arabians, we do hear them speak in our tongues the wonderful works of God.

Here God was speaking to mankind through those who received he Holy Ghost through their native tongue.  Today this may not be necessary because each of us has a bible and those in foreign countries have the bible interpreted into their language.  But if necessary, of course God can do this again.  But this is not what is considered part of the spiritual gifts that are given to the church.  These spiritual gifts will cease only when Jesus comes for the church.

But as for the gift of tongues, the Apostle Paul states that we should not speak in tongues in a congregation or even if we are giving thanks for a meal when there are others present because they will not understand what you are saying.  But if there is an interpreter of the tongue that is spoken so that others can understand, then it is appropriate to speak in the tongue and others will be edified, but it must be done in an oderly fashion.  He says,  

1 Co.14:33 For God is not the author of confusion, F57 but of peace, as in all churches of the saints.

And,

1Co.14:40 Let all things be done decently and in order.

There is alot of abuse of this regulation relative to speaking in tongues in a congregaton today in some churches which need to be corrected.  If the Apostle Paul says that the speaking in a tongue can controlled then obviously it can be.  Some also misunderstand saying that if you do not have the gift of tongues you do not have the Holy Ghost and therefore you are not saved, but the following scripture indicates by implication states that not every one who is saved has the gift of tongues:

27 Now ye are the body of Christ, and members in particular. 28 And God hath set some in the church, first apostles, secondarily prophets, thirdly teachers, after that miracles, then gifts of healings, helps, governments, diversities F46 of tongues. 29 Are all apostles? are all prophets? are all teachers? are all workers of miracles? 30 Have all the gifts of healing? DO ALL SPEAK WITH TONGUES? do all interpret? 31 But covet earnestly the best gifts: and yet shew I unto you a more excellent way.

The following verses are a little difficult to understand:

21 In the law it is written, With men of other tongues and other lips will I speak unto this people; and yet for all that will they not hear me, saith the Lord. 22 Wherefore tongues are for a sign, not to them that believe, but to them that believe not: but prophesying serveth not for them that believe not, but for them which believe. 23 If therefore the whole church be come together into one place, and all speak with tongues, and there come in those that are unlearned, or unbelievers, will they not say that ye are mad? 24 But if all prophesy, and there come in one that believeth not, or one unlearned, he is convinced of all, he is judged of all: 25 And thus are the secrets of his heart made manifest; and so falling down on his face he will worship God, and report that God is in you of a truth.

How can a the gift of tonges be a sign to an unbeliever unless God uses the tongue to get attention and then there is an interpreter so that they can understand that it is God speaking through the tongue. This is the way that I would have to understand this.

God Bless

kejonn
    Participant

How can tongues be a sign to an unbeliever? You have you answer in Acts

Act 2:4 And they were all filled with the Holy Spirit and began to speak with other tongues, as the Spirit was giving them utterance.
    Act 2:5 Now there were Jews living in Jerusalem, devout men from every nation under heaven.
    Act 2:6 And when this sound occurred, the crowd came together, and were bewildered because each one of them was hearing them speak in his own language.
    Act 2:7 They were amazed and astonished, saying, “Why, are not all these who are speaking Galileans?
    Act 2:8 “And how is it that we each hear them in our own language to which we were born?
    Act 2:9 “Parthians and Medes and Elamites, and residents of Mesopotamia, Judea and Cappadocia, Pontus and Asia,
    Act 2:10 Phrygia and Pamphylia, Egypt and the districts of Libya around Cyrene, and visitors from Rome, both Jews and proselytes,
    Act 2:11 Cretans and Arabs–we hear them in our own tongues speaking of the mighty deeds of God.”
    Act 2:12 And they all continued in amazement and great perplexity, saying to one another, “What does this mean?

Act 2:40 And with many other words he solemnly testified and kept on exhorting them, saying, “Be saved from this perverse generation!”
    Act 2:41 So then, those who had received his word were baptized; and that day there were added about three thousand souls.

That, my brother and friend, is the sign to unbelievers. Because of the tongues given to the Apostles on the day of Pentecost, people of many diverse languages were able to hear the Gospel and be saved.

LG&LP,
    Kevin

Quote (kejonn @ Oct. 12 2007,02:43)

How can tongues be a sign to an unbeliever? You have you answer in Acts

Act 2:4  And they were all filled with the Holy Spirit and began to speak with other tongues, as the Spirit was giving them utterance.
    Act 2:5  Now there were Jews living in Jerusalem, devout men from every nation under heaven.
    Act 2:6  And when this sound occurred, the crowd came together, and were bewildered because each one of them was hearing them speak in his own language.
    Act 2:7  They were amazed and astonished, saying, “Why, are not all these who are speaking Galileans?
    Act 2:8  “And how is it that we each hear them in our own language to which we were born?
    Act 2:9  “Parthians and Medes and Elamites, and residents of Mesopotamia, Judea and Cappadocia, Pontus and Asia,
    Act 2:10  Phrygia and Pamphylia, Egypt and the districts of Libya around Cyrene, and visitors from Rome, both Jews and proselytes,
    Act 2:11  Cretans and Arabs–we hear them in our own tongues speaking of the mighty deeds of God.”
    Act 2:12  And they all continued in amazement and great perplexity, saying to one another, “What does this mean?

Act 2:40  And with many other words he solemnly testified and kept on exhorting them, saying, “Be saved from this perverse generation!”
    Act 2:41  So then, those who had received his word were baptized; and that day there were added about three thousand souls.

That, my brother and friend, is the sign to unbelievers. Because of the tongues given to the Apostles on the day of Pentecost, people of many diverse languages were able to hear the Gospel and be saved.

LG&LP,
    Kevin

kejonn

True.

But again my brother that does not negate this…

1 Cor 14:
    2 For one who speaks in a tongue does not speak to men but to God; for no one understands, but in his spirit he speaks mysteries.
    3 But one who prophesies speaks to men for edification and exhortation and consolation.
    4 One who speaks in a tongue edifies himself; but one who prophesies edifies the church.

15 What is the outcome then? I will pray with the spirit and I will pray with the mind also; I will sing with the spirit and I will sing with the mind also.

The above scriptures are unambiguous. They clearly show that Paul was talking about a language that was not meant to be understood by the mind.

• 1. Does not speak to men but to God
  • 2. No one understands
  • 3. In his Spirit he speaks mysterys
  • 4. He edifies himself
  • 5. He prays with the Spirit (Mysteries) and Prays with the mind (understanding)
  • 6. He sings with the Spirit (Mysteries) and sings with the mind (understanding)

Those who have recieved the gift understand and have experienced the strength and Joy that comes in the use of the gift. For truly it does edify or build up.

The greek word for edifieth is, oikodomeō, which means;

1) to build a house, erect a building

a) to build (up from the foundation)

b) to restore by building, to rebuild, repair

Its the root word for, epoikodomeō, which means;

1) to build upon, build up

Found in Jude 1:20

But you, beloved, building (epoikodomeō) yourselves up on your most holy faith, praying in the Holy Spirit,

Quote (Laurel @ Oct. 12 2007,01:13)
To All,
There is only one type of speaking in tounges, a gift so that the “teacher” may speak in the language to the listener, that the listener will comprehend. It is a gift given to for the only purpose to build up the body of Messiah.

Remember the Tower of Babel, Elohim confused the languages to prevent the pererted worship of men and creation.  The mark of this sort of worship is it's fruit, and the fact that there is a transgression of the law, that does not lead to repentance, but to more sin.

Every time the word “tongues” is used in scripture it means language. Italian, Latin, Greek, Cherokee, English etc.

Elohim destroyed the building of one world political/religous system.  The gift of tounges, given expressly by Him, made it possible to speak to His chosen ones in their own languages.  Our Creator always gives to His children a Way to hear Him.

Speaking in Babel, is exactly that.  Moaning, babbeling, jibber-jabber, is “the other gospel.”  It comes from SELF, the opposite of love.  It is someone saying, look at me. how special I am.  

There is only One who is to be admired, and He confused the tongues at Babel, and He makes it possible to communicate to His chosen each in their own tongue, to build up His body of true believers.

laurel

You do believe all scripture is valid dont you?

How do you explain these…

1 Cor 14:
2 For one who speaks in a tongue does not speak to men but to God; for no one understands, but in his spirit he speaks mysteries.
3 But one who prophesies speaks to men for edification and exhortation and consolation.
4 One who speaks in a tongue edifies himself; but one who prophesies edifies the church.

15 What is the outcome then? I will pray with the spirit and I will pray with the mind also; I will sing with the spirit and I will sing with the mind also.

The above scriptures are unambiguous. They clearly show that Paul was talking about a language that was not meant to be understood by the mind.

Its amazing to me that you come here implying that those who dont keep the physical Sabbath or the feast are less spiritual than you, yet we simply share with you our experience and the scriptures to back it up and you say we are wanting to be seen of men.

You belittle our experience with God and you have no sripture that backs you up with your accusations.

Maybe you can give me your interpretation of the above verses and tell me how they can mean “human languages” understood by the mind.

:O

kejonn
Participant

WJ,

I get what you're saying, but I think you might not be recognizing Paul's intent in 1 Cor 14. He does say tongues are good, but note how he says that the one who speaks in tongues only builds himself up. In other words, it does the church no good. The CEV, while dynamic, aids a little in understanding.

1Co 14:4 (CEV)  By speaking languages that others don't know, you help only yourself. But by prophesying you help everyone in the church.

Now Paul is talking about speaking in tongues when with other believers. That is why he says prophecy will help others in the church. As pointed out earlier, tongues are for unbelievers, as can be seen in Acts 2. Also, since Paul says in v4 that speaking in tongues in the church only helps ones self, take note of what he says later in the same chapter:

1Co 14:12  So with yourselves, since you are eager for manifestations of the Spirit, strive to excel in building up the church.

That is, if you desire to receive certain gifts, desire those that build up the church, not those that are only of a personal benefit. That is why Paul then says

1Co 14:19  Nevertheless, in church I would rather speak five words with my mind in order to instruct others, than ten thousand words in a tongue.

To me, that is why I do not desire to speak in tongues. Why should I seek those things that only build myself up? I will trust that if God wants me to speak in another language when it is necessary, as was the case in Acts 2, then He will give me the gift. Until then, I will not desire such a gift.

LG&LP,
Kevin

Quote (kejonn @ Oct. 12 2007,06:44)
WJ,

I get what you're saying, but I think you might not be recognizing Paul's intent in 1 Cor 14. He does say tongues are good, but note how he says that the one who speaks in tongues only builds himself up. In other words, it does the church no good. The CEV, while dynamic, aids a little in understanding.

1Co 14:4 (CEV)  By speaking languages that others don't know, you help only yourself. But by prophesying you help everyone in the church.

Now Paul is talking about speaking in tongues when with other believers. That is why he says prophecy will help others in the church. As pointed out earlier, tongues are for unbelievers, as can be seen in Acts 2. Also, since Paul says in v4 that speaking in tongues in the church only helps ones self, take note of what he says later in the same chapter:

1Co 14:12  So with yourselves, since you are eager for manifestations of the Spirit, strive to excel in building up the church.

That is, if you desire to receive certain gifts, desire those that build up the church, not those that are only of a personal benefit. That is why Paul then says

1Co 14:19  Nevertheless, in church I would rather speak five words with my mind in order to instruct others, than ten thousand words in a tongue.

To me, that is why I do not desire to speak in tongues. Why should I seek those things that only build myself up? I will trust that if God wants me to speak in another language when it is necessary, as was the case in Acts 2, then He will give me the gift. Until then, I will not desire such a gift.

LG&LP,
Kevin

kejonn

Because the word “Builds up” means to edify.

Why would you not want to edify and build up your faith prayng in the Holy Spirit?

Paul said he wished that all men spoke in tongues.

But yes he would rather they all prophesied.

A Christian can have more than one gift. The tongues in 14:2 speaks mysteries to God, groanings which cant be understood by the mind. I want the Spirit of God to pray through me, when I am praying tongues my Spirit prays groanings which cant be uttered.

Its not a matter of being more spiritual han anyone else, its a matter of seeking all that God has for us. It is available to all who ask him.

Samuel
Participant

What you all are talking about is when the spirit comes down and someone bolts up speaking in tongues at the top of their voice.

And theres this long silence and praying going on in the church and someone clear across the church interprets it.

Thats when its for the church. And, I believe it went on in the days of Paul as well…Thats probably what his passage is pertaining to.

Participant

Hi All:

I'm still struggling with the following verses, and I might be wrong in what I have stated previously.  I'd like to take another look and see if I can come up with something reasonable, and then perphaps you can tell me what you think.

It is difficult for me to understand because Paul was talking about unknown tongues, and so I do not think that this is in reference to the event of Pentacost where God spoke to mankind through others in their native language.  Therefore, since he spoke to them in their native tongue, it would not be an unknown tongue.

The following verses are a little difficult to understand:

21 In the law it is written, With men of other tongues and other lips will I speak unto this people; and yet for all that will they not hear me, saith the Lord. 22 Wherefore tongues are for a sign, not to them that believe, but to them that believe not: but prophesying serveth not for them that believe not, but for them which believe. 23 If therefore the whole church be come together into one place, and all speak with tongues, and there come in those that are unlearned, or unbelievers, will they not say that ye are mad? 24 But if all prophesy, and there come in one that believeth not, or one unlearned, he is convinced of all, he is judged of all: 25 And thus are the secrets of his heart made manifest; and so falling down on his face he will worship God, and report that God is in you of a truth.

How can a the gift of tonges be a sign to an unbeliever unless God uses the tongue to get attention and then there is an interpreter so that they can understand that it is God speaking through the tongue. This is the way that I would have to understand this.

In verse 21 Paul states: “21 In the law it is written, With men of other tongues and other lips will I speak unto this people; and yet for all that will they not hear me, saith the Lord. 22 Wherefore tongues are for a sign, not to them that believe, but to them that believe not:”

The following was copied from JFB commentary relative to the forgoing verse:

21. In the law–as the whole Old Testament is called, being all of it the law of God. Compare the citation of the Psalms as the “law,” John 10:34. Here the quotation is from Isaiah 28:11,12, where God virtually says of Israel, This people hear Me not, though I speak to. them in the language with which they are familiar; I will therefore speak to them in other tongues, namely, those of the foes whom I will send against them; but even then they will not hearken to Me; which Paul thus applies, Ye see that it is a penalty to be associated with men of a strange tongue, yet ye impose this on the Church [GROTIUS]; they who speak in foreign tongues are like “children” just “weaned from the milk” (Isaiah 28:9), “with stammering lips” speaking unintelligibly to the hearers, appearing ridiculous (Isaiah 28:14), or as babbling drunkards (Acts 2:13), or madmen (1 Corinthians 14:23).

22. Thus from Isaiah it appears, reasons Paul, that “tongues” (unknown and uninterpreted) are not a sign mainly intended for believers (though at the conversion of Cornelius and the Gentiles with him, tongues were vouchsafed to him and them to confirm their faith), but mainly to be a condemnation to those, the majority, who, like Israel in Isaiah's day, reject the sign and the accompanying message. Compare “yet . . . will they not hear Me” (1 Corinthians 14:21). “Sign” is often used for a condemnatory sign (Ezekiel 4:3,4, Matthew 12:39-42). Since they will not understand, they shall not understand.
prophesying .

It appears that here God spoke to the Nation of Israel in Foreign tongues because they would not obey Him.  This was signifying impending judgment for disobedience.

Verse 23 states:

23 If therefore the whole church be come together into one place, and all speak with tongues, and there come in those that are unlearned, or unbelievers, will they not say that ye are mad?

Paul apparently just uses this verses as added emphasis that they should not speak in an unknown tongue in the church.  If God were speaking to those who were supposed to be believers in the church in an unknown tongue by comparison to what He did to those who would not listen to Him when he spoke to them in an intelligible language, it would signify impending judgment for disobedience.

Like I said these verses are difficult for me to understand.  Please give me your feedback.

KJ:  The reason you might want the gift of tongues is because of the following:

Ro 8:26
Likewise the Spirit also helpeth our infirmities: for we know not what we should pray for as we ought: but the Spirit itself maketh intercession for us with groanings which cannot be uttered.

Ro 8:27
And he that searcheth the hearts knoweth what is the mind of the Spirit, because he maketh intercession for the saints according to the will of God.

As God is working in us to bring us to maturity, there are times when we do not know what to pray, and so in through the gift of tongues, we are asking for those things that we need, and so, I personally see this as a good thing.  This says: “Likewise the Spirit helpeth our infirmities” which I understand to mean weaknesses or faults.

God Bless

david
Participant

To All,

Remember the Tower of Babel, Elohim confused the languages to prevent the pererted worship of men and creation. The mark of this sort of worship is it's fruit, and the fact that there is a transgression of the law, that does not lead to repentance, but to more sin.

Elohim destroyed the building of one world political/religous system. The gift of tounges, given expressly by Him, made it possible to speak to His chosen ones in their own languages. Our Creator always gives to His children a Way to hear Him.

Speaking in Babel, is exactly that. Moaning, babbeling, jibber-jabber, is “the other gospel.” It comes from SELF, the opposite of love. It is someone saying, look at me. how special I am.

–Laurel

I agree and well said.

kejonn
Participant

WJ,

Paul says he wished that moire would speak in tongues, and that he spoke in more tongues than anyone else. Think about his ministry, and think about who he spoke to.

Paul was the apostle to the Gentiles. The Jews likely spoke Aramaic. But as Acts 2 says, there were many from all around who spoke other languages. Now think about the many languages the Gentiles spoke. In order to reach these Gentiles in the many places he traveled, how would they understand him if he could not speak in their language? That is why he said he spoke more because he was more widely traveled than those he was writing too! But he wished they would speak in other languages so that they too could spread the Gospel to others.

For the word “tongues”, Strongs says

G1100
γλῶσσα
glōssa
gloce'-sah
Of uncertain affinity; the tongue; by implication a language (specifically one naturally unacquired): – tongue.

The outline on blueletterbible.org says

the language or dialect used by a particular people distinct from that of other nations

Vines says

the supernatural gift of speaking in another language without its having been learnt;” in Act 2:4-13 the circumstances are recorded from the viewpoint of the hearers; to those in whose language the utterances were made it appeared as a supernatural phenomenon; to others, the stammering of drunkards; what was uttered was not addressed primarily to the audience but consisted in recounting “the mighty works of God;” cp. Act 2:46; in 1 Cor., chapters 12 and 14, the use of the gift of “tongues” is mentioned as exercised in the gatherings of local churches; 1Cr 12:10 speaks of the gift in general terms, and couples with it that of “the interpretation of tongues;” chapt. 14 gives instruction concerning the use of the gift, the paramount object being the edification of the church; unless the “tongue” was interpreted the speaker would speak “not unto men, but unto God,” 1Cr 14:2; he would edify himself alone, 1Cr 14:4, unless he interpreted, 1Cr 14:5, in which case his interpretation would be of the same value as the superior gift of prophesying, as he would edify the church, 1Cr 14:4-6; he must pray that he may interpret, 1Cr 14:13; if there were no interpreter, he must keep silence, 1Cr 14:28, for all things were to be done “unto edifying,” 1Cr 14:26. “If I come … speaking with tongues, what shall I profit you,” says the Apostle (expressing the great object in all oral ministry), “unless I speak to you either by way of revelation, or of knowledge, or of prophesying, or of teaching?” ( 1Cr 14:6). “Tongues” were for a sign, not to believers, but to unbelievers, 1Cr 14:22, and especially to unbelieving Jews ( see 1Cr 14:21): cp. the passages in the Acts.

If someone in your church, or yourself, speaks in tongues, is it a discernible human language? French, Spanish, Chinese, Italian? Do you understand it when you speak?

kenrch
Participant

1Co 14:2 For one who speaks in a tongue speaks not to men but to God; for no one understands him, but he utters mysteries in the Spirit.

1Co 14:4 The one who speaks in a tongue builds up himself, but the one who prophesies builds up the church.

The tongues in churches today are prayer languages and are NOT suppose to be used in church.
These tongues builds up the person and not the body.

The “gift” of tongues are the tongues in Acts where people heard the apostles speak in their own language. I believe this still happens WHEN NEEDED. God doesn't perform miracles for our entertainment. If I had the REAL gift of tongues I could speak to you in English but you would understand in your native language say…German.

The people at Corinth were doing the same thing the people today are doing…praying in spirit…and NOT tongues the result:
1Co 14:6 Now, brothers, if I come to you speaking in tongues, how will I benefit you unless I bring you some revelation or knowledge or prophecy or teaching?
1Co 14:7 If even lifeless instruments, such as the flute or the harp, do not give distinct notes, how will anyone know what is played?
1Co 14:8 And if the bugle gives an indistinct sound, who will get ready for battle?
1Co 14:9 So with yourselves, if with your tongue you utter speech that is not intelligible, how will anyone know what is said? For you will be speaking into the air.
1Co 14:10 There are doubtless many different languages in the world, and none is without meaning,
1Co 14:11 but if I do not know the meaning of the language, I will be a foreigner to the speaker and the speaker a foreigner to me.

1Co 14:19 Nevertheless, in church I would rather speak five words with my mind in order to instruct others, than ten thousand words in a tongue.
1Co 14:20 Brothers, do not be children in your thinking. Be infants in evil, but in your thinking be mature.
1Co 14:21 In the Law it is written, “By people of strange tongues and by the lips of foreigners will I speak to this people, and even then they will not listen to me, says the Lord.”
1Co 14:22 Thus tongues are a sign not for believers but for unbelievers, while prophecy is a sign not for unbelievers but for believers.

Are you out of your mind?

1Co 14:23 If, therefore, the whole church comes together and all speak in tongues, and outsiders or unbelievers enter, will they not say that you are out of your minds?

This is a personal prayer language that you don't even understand you speak mysteries in the Your spirit and only God understands.

Where as if it were the tongues of ACTS EVERYONE WOULD UNDERSTAND.

What goes on in the churches is unscriptural and should NOT be uttered.

Samuel
Participant

I'm not sure your supposed to go around speaking in tongues just in casual talking. But, I do believe that if your praying especially by your self you, might wind up doing it…and it might help you.

But just to try to get the holy ghost so you can run around in your church speaking in tongues is probably not GOD's intention of that gift. And, some people seem to think it is. That might be why they have not received the Holy Ghost yet.

But, you need to be careful with the Holy Ghost, you don't want to quench it or blaspheme it. Give GOD all reverence and glory in this aspect.

Participant

Quote (Samuel @ Oct. 20 2007,04:55)
I'm not sure your supposed to go around speaking in tongues just in casual talking.   But, I do believe that if your praying especially by your self you, might wind up doing it…and it might help you.

But just to try to get the holy ghost so you can run around in your church speaking in tongues is probably not GOD's intention of that gift.  And, some people seem to think it is.  That might be why they have not received the Holy Ghost yet.

But, you need to be careful with the Holy Ghost, you don't want to quench it or blaspheme it.  Give GOD all reverence and glory in this aspect.

Hi Samuel:

You say:

But, you need to be careful with the Holy Ghost, you don't want to quench it or blaspheme it. Give GOD all reverence and glory in this aspect.

You do not want to quench the Spirit when God is speaking to the church either through a tongue with an interpreter or through a prophet or prophets, but when God does this it will be done in an orderly fashion.

1Co 14:33
For God is not the author of confusion, but of peace, as in all churches of the saints.

God Bless

david
Participant

94, I remember what you said about the pastor who doesn't mind the ruccus or the kids running around and the volume of noise, etc.

How has that gone with you?

Participant

Quote (david @ Oct. 21 2007,09:10)
94, I remember what you said about the pastor who doesn't mind the ruccus or the kids running around and the volume of noise, etc.

How has that gone with you?

Hi David:

I left this church approximately two years ago when the Pastor, who had agreed to discuss some doctrinal differences with me. went back on her word, but based on personal prophecy that has came to me from God prior to leaving there, and a vision that he showed me when I went to Him in prayer telling Him that I had a different understanding on some of the doctrines that were being taught and asking Him to correct them if they or wrong or me if my understanding was not correct, I believe that I will be going back to be ordained as the Bishop or overseer of the church when the Pastor realizes that God was trying to reach her through me.

When that happens, I will correct those things so that it lines up with what the Apostle Paul states in 1 Co 14.

Actually, it was not just kids but adults who run around the sanctuary.

God Bless

Viewing 20 posts - 201 through 220 (of 438 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 1999 - 2024 Heaven Net

Navigation

© 1999 - 2023 - Heaven Net
or

or    

Forgot your details?

or

Create Account