The double-edged-sword's…

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author
    Texas
    Participant

How many of us, have not at one time or another found ourselves beating on ourselves over some fleshly weakness, that surfaces, at our despair, at various times?

We know, that sometimes councel from the Bible can really sting us, so, that, we, even beat ourselves even more seriously than what is necessary; and we walk about sad, all the day long. Not a good way to feel, is it? On the other hand, just maybe, that is a good way to feel. Maybe, at these times, we just may be forgetting something. What might that be?

Paul tells us in Hebrews 5:12- “For the word of God is alive and exerts power and is sharper than any two-edged-sword and pierces even to the dividing of soul and spirit, and of joints and their marrow, and is able to discern thoughts and the intentions of the heart.”

Now, this same sword, that can wound us so deeply at times, can also serve as a healer, being as it is, double-edged.

I feel it safe to say, that the Apostle Paul was keenly aware of that, because, look at what he said about his own fleshly weaknesses. It would, do well, as we read the following, to remember that Paul was a member of the Heavenly High Calling of God! Even at that,Jehovah knew all about Pauls weaknesses. That never stopped him from giving Paul that High office. Note what Paul had to say about himself:

Romans 7:15-25 (New American Standard Bible)
    15 For what I am doing, I do not understand; for I am not practicing what I would like to do, but I am doing the very thing I hate.
    16 But if I do the very thing I do not want to do, I agree with the Law, confessing that the Law is good.
    17 So now, no longer am I the one doing it, but sin which dwells in me.
    18 For I know that nothing good dwells in me, that is, in my flesh; for the willing is present in me, but the doing of the good is not.
    19 For the good that I want, I do not do, but I practice the very evil that I do not want.
    20 But if I am doing the very thing I do not want, I am no longer the one doing it, but sin which dwells in me.
    21 I find then the principle that evil is present in me, the one who wants to do good.
    22 For I joyfully concur with the law of God in the inner man,
    23 but I see a different law in the members of my body, waging war against the law of my mind and making me a prisoner of the law of sin which is in my members.
    24 Wretched man that I am! Who will set me free from the body of this death?
    25 Thanks be to God through Jesus Christ our Lord! So then, on the one hand I myself with my mind am serving the law of God, but on the other, with my flesh the law of sin.”

Isn't it true, that all of us, can relate to Pauls words here? Do we, not, at times feel exactly as did Paul? Do, we not, at times, walk about sad all day long because of this fight we have against the sin that resides in us all? I feel certain, that all must agree with that!

Now, lets look at the way that this doubled-edged-sword, serves as a healer, in this case. Note the words of the Psalmist:

Psalm 103:8-14 (Darby Translation)
    8 Jehovah is merciful and gracious, slow to anger, and abundant in loving-kindness.
    9 He will not always chide, neither will he keep [his anger] for ever.
    10 He hath not dealt with us according to our sins, nor rewarded us according to our iniquities.
    11 For as the heavens are high above the earth, so great is his loving-kindness toward them that fear him.
    12 As far as the east is from the west, so far hath he removed our transgressions from us.
    13 As a father pitieth [his] children, so Jehovah pitieth them that fear him.
    14 For himself knoweth our frame; he remembereth that we are dust.

Paul wasn't the only one who felt this way, as the Psalmist will bring out:

Psalm 38:4-10 (American Standard Version)
    4 “For mine iniquities are gone over my head: As a heavy burden they are too heavy for me.
    5 My wounds are loathsome and corrupt, Because of my foolishness.
    6 I am pained and bowed down greatly; I go mourning all the day long.
    7 For my loins are filled with burning; And there is no soundness in my flesh.
    8 I am faint and sore bruised: I have groaned by reason of the disquietness of my heart.
    9 Lord, all my desire is before thee; And my groaning is not hid from thee.
    10 My heart throbbeth, my strength faileth me: As for the light of mine eyes, it also is gone from me.”

Psalm 51:9-17 (American Standard Version)
    9 Hide thy face from my sins, And blot out all mine iniquities.
    10 Create in me a clean heart, O God; And renew a right spirit within me.
    11 Cast me not away from thy presence; And take not thy holy Spirit from me.
    12 Restore unto me the joy of thy salvation; And uphold me with a willing spirit.
    13 Then will I teach transgressors thy ways; And sinners shall be converted unto thee.
    14 Deliver me from bloodguiltiness, O God, thou God of my salvation; And my tongue shall sing aloud of thy righteousness.
    15 O Lord, open thou my lips; And my mouth shall show forth thy praise.
    16 For thou delightest not in sacrifice; else would I give it: Thou hast no pleasure in burnt-offering.
    17 The sacrifices of God are a broken spirit: A broken and contrite heart, O God, thou wilt not despise.
    Psalm 130:3 (The Message)
    3-4 If you, God, kept records on wrongdoings,
    who would stand a chance?
    As it turns out, forgiveness is your habit,
    and that's why you're worshiped.

Psalm 32:5 (American Standard Version)
    5 I acknowledged my sin unto thee, And mine iniquity did I not hide: I said, I will confess my transgressions unto Jehovah; And thou forgavest the iniquity of my sin. Selah

We see, here, that David, had a broken heart and spirit because of his sins. In prayer he acknowledged his wrongdoing, and received forgiveness, for his confession of his sins. Will, we do any less than that? He knew that if Jehovah never kept a record of sins, no one on this earth would be able to stand. We, like Paul, should be saying: “Miserable man/woman that I am.” If we are thinking along those lines, we will be able to say, as did Paul: “Thanks be to God, through Jesus Christ our Lord.” Texas!

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 1999 - 2024 Heaven Net

Navigation

© 1999 - 2023 - Heaven Net
or

or    

Forgot your details?

or

Create Account