The bible

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 20 posts - 161 through 180 (of 334 total)
  • Author
    david
    Participant

Regarding Babylon: “She will never be inhabited.” (Is 13:19,20)

That's a bold statement. To predict permanent desolation for a sprawling city occupying a strategic location!
    You would normally expect a city would be rebuilt if ruined. Isaiah's words eventually came true. Today, the site of ancient Babylon “is flat, hot, deserted and dusty,” reports Smithsonian Magazine.

The equivelent would be predicting the exact manner in which a modern city, such as London, would be destoryed 200 years from now and then emphatically stating that it would never again be inhabited!

Of course, if the Bible made such predictions in large numbers and some came true and some didn't, it would just be a matter of letting people see the positive and ignoring the negative. But the Bible does not make such predictions about other cities.

Why do we never comment on such clear cut things, but only focus on the controversial things?

Stu
    Participant

Quote (david @ Dec. 12 2007,16:51)
    Yes, stu can point to an instant of time or a bone or muscle and say that it is evidence of evolution, but the word evolution itself means “slow change.”  When I look at my leg, I see no change, obviously.

So you are one of the 9% who do not have a plantaris muscle, then? How do you explain the existence of this pretty much useless muscle in some people but not all?

Stuart

Stu
    Participant

Hi Nick

Does immunisation confer some new ability to the human body?
    No it makes use of a current ability.

It gives the body a new ability to fight pathogens, but as you say it is based on a capacity it has to do this already.

The evidence may point in certain directions for devotees of Darwin's theory but not all. Sickle cell disease does offer certain advantages in resistance to certain other diseases but that would not seem to be a positive thing for the race.

50% of all human deaths have been caused by malaria. That is a significant selection pressure. Sickle cell anaemia is a mutation that by chance gives protection even though there is a significant health cost. Creationists must find this pretty inexplicable.

I admire faith.
    I admire the honest search for truth.

I think the latter is incompatible with the former.

Good science is based on proven established facts.

That is not how science works at all.

But this so called science is bad science as it has no proven facts.
    Instead presumption and inference is offered as a basis for knowledge.
    Presumption is an embarrassingly bad basis for this poor example of science.
    Evolution teaching gives science a bad name.
    Sad for those who are honest.

Evolution is as good a fact as the fact of your attraction to earth by gravity.
    Give me one fact that disproves evolution by natural selection.

Stuart

NickHassan
    Participant

Quote (Stu @ Dec. 12 2007,21:31)

Yes, stu can point to an instant of time or a bone or muscle and say that it is evidence of evolution, but the word evolution itself means “slow change.”  When I look at my leg, I see no change, obviously.

So you are one of the 9% who do not have a plantaris muscle, then?  How do you explain the existence of this pretty much useless muscle in some people but not all?

Stuart

Hi Stu,
    You may have some amazing magic insight but the presence or absence of a vestigial muscle is not proof of any man's theory.

Stu
    Participant

Quote (Nick Hassan @ Dec. 13 2007,05:03)

Quote (Stu @ Dec. 12 2007,21:31)

So you are one of the 9% who do not have a plantaris muscle, then?  How do you explain the existence of this pretty much useless muscle in some people but not all?

Stuart

Hi Stu,
    You may have some amazing magic insight but the presence or absence of a vestigial muscle is not proof of any man's theory.

As I have been required to say too many times to those who simply don't understand the concept, or refuse to, there is no such thing as proof in science. But let's use the sense of the word proof as used here often: yes, it is undeniable proof that we have a common ancestor with other great apes.

Stuart

NickHassan
    Participant

Quote (Stu @ Dec. 12 2007,21:42)
    Hi Nick

Does immunisation confer some new ability to the human body?
    No it makes use of a current ability.

It gives the body a new ability to fight pathogens, but as you say it is based on a capacity it has to do this already.

The evidence may point in certain directions for devotees of Darwin's theory but not all.  Sickle cell disease does offer certain advantages in resistance to certain other diseases but that would not seem to be a positive thing for the race.

50% of all human deaths have been caused by malaria.  That is a significant selection pressure.  Sickle cell anaemia is a mutation that by chance gives protection even though there is a significant health cost.  Creationists must find this pretty inexplicable.

I admire faith.
    I admire the honest search for truth.

I think the latter is incompatible with the former.

Good science is based on proven established facts.

That is not how science works at all.

But this so called science is bad science as it has no proven facts.
    Instead presumption and inference is offered as a basis for knowledge.
    Presumption is an embarrassingly bad basis for this poor example of science.
    Evolution teaching gives science a bad name.
    Sad for those who are honest.

Evolution is as good a fact as the fact of your attraction to earth by gravity.  
    Give me one fact that disproves evolution by natural selection.

Stuart

Hi Stu,
    So we are to disprove
    what
    you cannot prove?

umm

Why should we dabble with you fantasies because you have great faith in them?

Do you think it inevitable that sickle cell anaemia, with all it's disadvantages,will be the fate of all mankind because of your unscientific evolution theory?

This goes against your faith in a constant improving power that somehow exists in nature.

We will await events.

NickHassan
    Participant

Hi,
    The bible is a precious gift of God that reveals His nature and plan for those who respect it, seek it's answers diligently and obey it.
    To those who do not fear God it is useless babble.
    That was always the test of God.

NickHassan
    Participant

Hi Stu,
    We are the people of the Word.
    We are those who believe that what is written through the Old and New Testaments comprise a complete message from God.
    We have found that obedience to it brings peace and hope and great blessings in our lives.
    Dare to believe.
    What can you lose?

Stu
    Participant

Hi Nick

So we are to disprove what you cannot prove?

Yes. That is exactly how science works. There is no proof for a theory, but there can be disproof. It is called falsifiability. For example, evolution is falsifiable. If we found bunny rabbit fossils in the oldest (precambrian) rocks, evolution would be utterly disproved. This is also why creationism is not a science. It is not falsifiable.

Why should we dabble with you fantasies because you have great faith in them?

Pot. Calling. Kettle. Black. You must know the rest.

Do you think it inevitable that sickle cell anaemia, with all it's disadvantages,will be the fate of all mankind because of your unscientific evolution theory?

Why do you have to make one interesting mutation into the ‘fate of all mankind’? This is not an absolutist biblical fable, we are seeking the best model for what we observe.

This goes against your faith in a constant improving power that somehow exists in nature.

Replace the word ‘improving’ with ‘changing’ and ‘somehow’ with ‘obviously’ and I might just be able to recognise this description. The ‘faith’ part is wrong, for reasons I have given over and over again.

The bible is a precious gift of God that reveals His nature and plan for those who respect it, seek it's answers diligently and obey it. To those who do not fear God it is useless babble.

Yes it is pretty much useless babble because it does not reflect the nature of humankind and is factually incorrect in so many ways. If the deity described therin did exist, it should not be feared, but should be tried for multiple homicide. I don’t think god is to be feared, I think some of his followers should be.

We are the people of the Word.
    We are those who believe that what is written through the Old and New Testaments comprise a complete message from God. We have found that obedience to it brings peace and hope and great blessings in our lives. Dare to believe. What can you lose?

My faculty for critical thinking, evidently. Again, when reading this last paragraph I get for some reason a mental image of the Hammer Horror film the Brides of Dracula.

Stuart

NickHassan
    Participant

Hi Stu,
    In what way is the bible incorrect?
    Should we rather ask you about truth?

NickHassan
    Participant

Hi Stu,
    You say
    “Yes. That is exactly how science works. There is no proof for a theory, but there can be disproof. It is called falsifiability. For example, evolution is falsifiable. If we found bunny rabbit fossils in the oldest (precambrian) rocks, evolution would be utterly disproved.”

Right.
    So no foundations at all?
    No facts but only straw men?

We have the eternal light of truth shining from God through the scriptures.

Stu
    Participant

Hi Nick

In what way is the bible incorrect?

You cannot see all kingdoms from a high mountain.

Should we rather ask you about truth?

We should be wary of those who claim to know all truth, and we should be especially wary of those who claim they have a Special Friend who knows all the truth, with whom they communicate.

Stu: Yes. That is exactly how science works. There is no proof for a theory, but there can be disproof. It is called falsifiability. For example, evolution is falsifiable. If we found bunny rabbit fossils in the oldest (precambrian) rocks, evolution would be utterly disproved.”

Right .So no foundations at all? No facts but only straw men?

Do you actually know what a straw man is Nick? Please read the facile anti-evolution rant on the portal pages to this site for a whole truckload of straw men.

Evolution is a fact explained by natural selection, which you have failed to disprove, even though it is very falsifiable. You have no foundations yourself, unless in the meantime you have come up with a properly predictive and falsifiable Theory of Divine Creation.

We have the eternal light of truth shining from God through the scriptures.

See warning above.

Stuart

NickHassan
    Participant

Hi Stu,
    You say
    “You cannot see all kingdoms from a high mountain. “

Lk 3
    ” 5The devil led him up to a high place and showed him in an instant all the kingdoms of the world. 6And he said to him, “I will give you all their authority and splendor, for it has been given to me, and I can give it to anyone I want to. 7So if you worship me, it will all be yours.”

It says a high place, but how high?
    Do you think that it was with his human eyes that Christ had to be shown these things?
    It says he was shown in an instant which adds another dimension to simple human vision.

He sees with the spiritual vision of the Spirit just as he saw that the woman of Jn4 had had several husbands but the one she was with now was not her husband.

It is interesting that Christ did not argue with Satan that the kingdoms of the world belonged to him and they had been given to him, the one called the god and prince of this world, who controls all not in Christ.

Stu
    Participant

Hi Nick

Stu (paraphrasing the Judeo-christin book of mythology): “You cannot see all kingdoms from a high mountain. “

Lk 3 ” 5The devil led him up to a high place and showed him in an instant all the kingdoms of the world. 6And he said to him, “I will give you all their authority and splendor, for it has been given to me, and I can give it to anyone I want to. 7So if you worship me, it will all be yours.”

It says a high place, but how high?
    Do you think that it was with his human eyes that Christ had to be shown these things?
    It says he was shown in an instant which adds another dimension to simple human vision.
    He sees with the spiritual vision of the Spirit just as he saw that the woman of Jn4 had had several husbands but the one she was with now was not her husband.

Does it matter how high? You still could not see the Kingdom of Tonga even from a satellite in geostationary orbit over the Middle East. How long is a day in Genesis? How long is an instant, therefore? I think Jesus (if he existed, and if satan existed, and if they were both so committed to what satan had to tell Jesus that they would climb to a high place together) used his human eyes because he was a human being. He was flesh, right? How does spiritual vision work, anyway? Is this another special pleading for magic?

It is interesting that Christ did not argue with Satan that the kingdoms of the world belonged to him and they had been given to him, the one called the god and prince of this world, who controls all not in Christ.

So thinks those who ‘are in Christ’. How do you know it is not you controlled by a demon force, and all your perceptions are clouded by that inspiriation? That’s exactly how it seems to me when creationists lie, or priests tell a child that their ‘unsaved’ friend killed in an accident is going to hell, or a fundamentalist bombs an abortion clinic.

Stuart

NickHassan
    Participant

Hi Stu,
    Satan took him to a high place
    and there are higher places than earth
    accessible by beings who visit with God[Jb 1-2]

Stu
    Participant

Quote (Nick Hassan @ Dec. 17 2007,20:02)
    Hi Stu,
    Satan took him to a high place
    and there are higher places than earth
    accessible by beings who visit with God[Jb 1-2]

You are saying that the world is flat, which I suppose is at least consistent with it being a circle with four corners…

Stuart :D

NickHassan
    Participant

Hi Stu,
    So reliant on human eyes.
    You really need to be reborn of the Spirit
    and to begin to see what is invisible to puny men.

Stu
    Participant

Quote (Nick Hassan @ Dec. 18 2007,07:19)
    Hi Stu,
    So reliant on human eyes.
    You really need to be reborn of the Spirit
    and to begin to see what is invisible to puny men.

So you have no answer to that one, either.

Stuart

NickHassan
    Participant

Hi Stu,
    Did you think we had all the answers?
    You do not so why would you expect it of us?
    We do not have all the answers but are connected beyond your view of reality with the source of eternal life.

Stu
    Participant

Quote (Nick Hassan @ Dec. 18 2007,19:32)
    Hi Stu,
    We do not have all the answers but are connected beyond your view of reality with the source of eternal life.

Hi Nick

Your book says you can see all the kingdoms from a high point. The explanations for this ludicrous claim are equally ludicrous. I don’t think christians have any special answers, it is all bluster.

But I admit it, and I do not claim to have an Invisible Friend who does know everything.

I think you are not. I don’t think there is anything particularly special about you that is not accessible for those who do not share your convictions. I call your bluff. Christianity is all hot air, smoke and mirrors and the motivations are varied but include acquiring political power or other influence, acquiring money, fending off some of the crueler or less just aspects of human life, wanting not to grow up and hence replacing parents with a god; the list is a long one.

I relate to you Christopher Hitchens’ challenge to state a moral act that could only be performed by a believer, and I add the challenge of stating one piece of knowledge that has unquestionably benefited humans in all cultures and traditions, which was gained only through divine revelation.

Stuart

Viewing 20 posts - 161 through 180 (of 334 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 1999 - 2024 Heaven Net

Navigation

© 1999 - 2023 - Heaven Net
or

or    

Forgot your details?

or

Create Account