The bible

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 20 posts - 41 through 60 (of 334 total)
  • Author
    Stu
    Participant

Quote (WorshippingJesus @ Nov. 02 2007,03:32)
    The most reliable historical evidence is the scriptures!

The scriptures were written over a period of 1600 years by 40 authors, many of them confirming each other and speaking the same things, though some were centuries apart and of different backgrounds!

To the unbeliever it is a dead letter.

Anyone who does not believe these facts is pulling blinders over their own eyes.

The writings attributed to Moses contain 5 distinct writing styles. Moses even describes the event of his own death! None of the gospels, and none of the bible was written by an eyewitness of Jesus. The similarities are explained by the copying that has been shown to have occurred, but I'm sure you have heard of the contradictions, such as

How many pairs of clean animals did God tell Noah to take into the Ark?

God sent his prophet to threaten David with how many years of famine?

Jesus descended from which son of David?

Did Jesus bear his own cross?

Who was the father of Joseph, husband of Mary?

I'm sorry but special pleading for the bible is not convincing. It has no objective basis as a history book.

Stuart

Quote (Stu @ Nov. 02 2007,19:29)

Quote (WorshippingJesus @ Nov. 02 2007,03:32)
    The most reliable historical evidence is the scriptures!

The scriptures were written over a period of 1600 years by 40 authors, many of them confirming each other and speaking the same things, though some were centuries apart and of different backgrounds!

To the unbeliever it is a dead letter.

Anyone who does not believe these facts is pulling blinders over their own eyes.

The writings attributed to Moses contain 5 distinct writing styles.  Moses even describes the event of his own death!  None of the gospels, and none of the bible was written by an eyewitness of Jesus.  The similarities are explained by the copying that has been shown to have occurred, but I'm sure you have heard of the contradictions, such as

God sent his prophet to threaten David with how many years of famine?

Jesus descended from which son of David?

Did Jesus bear his own cross?

Who was the father of Joseph, husband of Mary?

I'm sorry but special pleading for the bible is not convincing.  It has no objective basis as a history book.

Stuart

stu

You havnt shown any contradictions. All you show is different eyewitness accounts.

You were not their 2000 years ago so all you like any other agnostic or unbeliever can do is make weak claims.

The lack of faith that you have will not take away from the fact that archeological finds more and more prove the authenticity of the scriptures.

And again how do you address the fact that is is still the best selling book ever and will always be, and the fact that it alone has changed the course of history and effected change in mens lives more than any leader or writings in the history of mans existence.

If it is such a big hoax then it would have been proven so.

Faith is the substance of things hoped for and the evidence of things not seen.

So you are wasting your time here for you cannot and will not ever change the heart of the believer, and you will never get rid of the scriptures for they are here to stay…

:D

Stu
    Participant

Hi Worshippingjesus

++”You havnt shown any contradictions. All you show is different eyewitness accounts.

Can you answer those questions accurately then?

++”You were not their 2000 years ago so all you like any other agnostic or unbeliever can do is make weak claims.

Promise me you won’t apply for training as a forensic scientist!
    There are no eyewitness accounts of Jesus at all. Not one. His very existence as an historical figure is debatable.

++”The lack of faith that you have will not take away from the fact that archeological finds more and more prove the authenticity of the scriptures.

What was that about making weak claims? Tower of Babel? Ark? Flood? Giants? Unicorns? What archeological evidence is there for these myths?

++”And again how do you address the fact that is is still the best selling book ever and will always be, and the fact that it alone has changed the course of history and effected change in mens lives more than any leader or writings in the history of mans existence.

Harry Potter is best-selling fiction, too. Don’t forget that a majority of people in the world don’t believe the claims in the christian bible, and that many have had their lives changed for the poorer because of it.

++”If it is such a big hoax then it would have been proven so.

What do you mean by “hoax”? It is a work of historical fiction, it depicts events that may or may not have happened in geographical settings that do exist. If there is a hoax, it is that it adds magic and an Imaginary Friend in the sky, just like the hoaxes of tarot reading, astrology and psychic powers.

++”Faith is the substance of things hoped for and the evidence of things not seen.

My dictionary defines evidence very differently from the use you make of it.

++”So you are wasting your time here for you cannot and will not ever change the heart of the believer, and you will never get rid of the scriptures for they are here to stay…

I am sorry if you think I am wasting my time here. I am afraid that you may be wasting your time telling me this. You are reading some kind of agenda into what I post. I want to get rid of scripture as much as I want to get rid of Harry Potter, that is to say not at all. It does bemuse me though that unlike Harry Potter, christianity is so perverse that it demands one take scripture as literally true when it obviously isn’t.

I’m looking forward to seeing your archaeological evidence for Unicorns!

Stuart
    :)

david
    Participant

but I'm sure you have heard of the contradictions, such as

Nope. Haven't heard of it. Why don't you tell us all about it.

david
    Participant

Samples from six continents and the islands of the sea; hundreds of such legends are known

Australia – Kurnai

Destruction by Water

Humans Spared

Animals Spared

Preserved in a Vessel

Babylon – Berossus’ account

Destruction by Water

Warning Given

Humans Spared

Animals Spared

Preserved in a Vessel

Babylon – Gilgamesh epic

Destruction by Water

Divine Cause

Warning Given

Humans Spared

Animals Spared

Preserved in a Vessel

Bolivia – Chiriguano

Destruction by Water

Divine Cause

Warning Given

Humans Spared

Preserved in a Vessel

Borneo – Sea Dayak

Destruction by Water

Humans Spared

Animals Spared

Preserved in a Vessel

Burma – Singpho

Destruction by Water

Humans Spared

Animals Spared

Preserved in a Vessel

Canada – Cree

Destruction by Water

Divine Cause

Humans Spared

Animals Spared

Preserved in a Vessel

Canada – Montagnais

Destruction by Water

Divine Cause

Warning Given

Humans Spared

Animals Spared

Preserved in a Vessel

China – Lolo

Destruction by Water

Divine Cause

Humans Spared

Animals Spared

Preserved in a Vessel

Cuba – original natives

Destruction by Water

Warning Given

Humans Spared

Animals Spared

Preserved in a Vessel

East Africa – Masai

Destruction by Water

Divine Cause

Warning Given

Humans Spared

Animals Spared

Preserved in a Vessel

Egypt – Book of the Dead

Destruction by Water

Divine Cause

Warning Given

Humans Spared

Preserved in a Vessel

Fiji – Walavu-levu tradition

Destruction by Water

Divine Cause

Humans Spared

Preserved in a Vessel

French Polynesia – Raïatéa

Destruction by Water

Divine Cause

Warning Given

Humans Spared

Animals Spared

Greece – Lucian’s account

Destruction by Water

Humans Spared

Animals Spared

Preserved in a Vessel

Guyana – Macushi

Destruction by Water

Divine Cause

Humans Spared

Animals Spared

Preserved in a Vessel

Iceland – Eddas

Destruction by Water

Divine Cause

Humans Spared

Preserved in a Vessel

India – Andaman Islands

Destruction by Water

Divine Cause

Humans Spared

Preserved in a Vessel

India – Bhil

Destruction by Water

Warning Given

Humans Spared

Animals Spared

Preserved in a Vessel

India – Kamar

Destruction by Water

Divine Cause

Warning Given

Humans Spared

Preserved in a Vessel

Iran – Zend-Avesta

Destruction by Water

Warning Given

Humans Spared

Animals Spared

Italy – Ovid’s poetry

Destruction by Water

Divine Cause

Humans Spared

Preserved in a Vessel

Malay Peninsula – Jakun

Destruction by Water

Divine Cause

Humans Spared

Preserved in a Vessel

Mexico – Codex Chimalpopoca

Destruction by Water

Warning Given

Humans Spared

Preserved in a Vessel

Mexico – Huichol

Destruction by Water

Warning Given

Humans Spared

Animals Spared

Preserved in a Vessel

New Zealand – Maori

Destruction by Water

Divine Cause

Humans Spared

Preserved in a Vessel

Peru – Indians of Huarochirí

Destruction by Water

Warning Given

Humans Spared

Animals Spared

Russia – Vogul

Destruction by Water

Warning Given

Humans Spared

Preserved in a Vessel

U.S.A. (Alaska) – Kolusches

Destruction by Water

Warning Given

Humans Spared

Animals Spared

Preserved in a Vessel

U.S.A. (Alaska) – Tlingit

Destruction by Water

Divine Cause

Humans Spared

Animals Spared

Preserved in a Vessel

U.S.A. (Arizona) – Papago

Destruction by Water

Warning Given

Humans Spared

Animals Spared

Preserved in a Vessel

U.S.A. (Hawaii) – legend of Nu-u

Destruction by Water

Divine Cause

Humans Spared

Animals Spared

Preserved in a Vessel

Vanuatu – Melanesians

Destruction by Water

Humans Spared

Animals Spared

Preserved in a Vessel

Vietnam – Bahnar

Destruction by Water

Humans Spared

Animals Spared

Preserved in a Vessel

Wales – Dwyfan/Dwyfach legend

Destruction by Water

Humans Spared

Animals Spared

Preserved in a Vessel

I'm wondering if these stories have a common origin, or if perhaps they all just have these stories in their histories by coincidence.

stu

You say…

I am sorry if you think I am wasting my time here.  I am afraid that you may be wasting your time telling me this. You are reading some kind of agenda into what I post.  I want to get rid of scripture as much as I want to get rid of Harry Potter, that is to say not at all.  It does bemuse me though that unlike Harry Potter, christianity is so perverse that it demands one take scripture as literally true when it obviously isn’t.

I’m looking forward to seeing your archaeological evidence for Unicorns!

Your agenda is to disprove the authenticity of scriptures. That you can not do.

As far as Harry Potter, talk to me about it when it remains the best seller for 100s of years.

The Bible is without doubt the world's bestselling book. And if to these mind-boggling commercial publishing statistics are added all the Bibles distributed freely in the UK and throughout the world by the Gideons (over 70 million copies) and the Bible Society (a staggering estimated 1,000 million), the numbers of Bibles produced must far outstrip anything ever printed and published in the history of mankind.
    http://iq.lycos.co.uk/qa….+day%3F

BTW. Are there any Unicorns in the Bible?

Stu
    Participant

Quote (david @ Nov. 03 2007,14:59)
    Samples from six continents and the islands of the sea; hundreds of such legends are known

Australia – Kurnai

Destruction by Water

Humans Spared

Animals Spared

Preserved in a Vessel

Babylon – Berossus’ account

Destruction by Water

Warning Given

Humans Spared

Animals Spared

Preserved in a Vessel

I'm wondering if these stories have a common origin, or if perhaps they all just have these stories in their histories by coincidence.

You can make a similar list for virgin birth myths as well.

Stuart

Stu
    Participant

Quote (WorshippingJesus @ Nov. 03 2007,17:37)

As far as Harry Potter, talk to me about it when it remains the best seller for 100s of years.

The Bible is without doubt the world's bestselling book. And if to these mind-boggling commercial publishing statistics are added all the Bibles distributed freely in the UK and throughout the world by the Gideons (over 70 million copies) and the Bible Society (a staggering estimated 1,000 million), the numbers of Bibles produced must far outstrip anything ever printed and published in the history of mankind.

Re agendas:
    The Judeo-Christian book of mythology does not need me to show that it is mythology; that is almost self-evident to any critical thinker.

Re bestsellers:
    The bible (if you add the various versions together) is easily the biggest selling book of all time. It is probably also single-handedly responsible for much of the literacy in the world. Neither of those facts make any of it more than mythology though. A culture can have its stories of legendary heroes of the past without having to believe them literally. Why does christianity in particular require the belief of things that are demonstrably untrue?

Re unicorns:
    Job 39:9-12: Will the unicorn be willing to serve thee, or abide by thy crib? Canst thou bind the unicorn with band in the furrow? or will he harrow the valleys after thee? Wilt thou trust him, because his strength is great? or wilt thou leave thy labour to him? Wilt thou believe him, that he will bring home thy seed, and gather it into thy barn?
    Psalms 29:6: He maketh them also to skip like a calf; Lebanon and Sirion like a young unicorn.
    Numbers 24:8: …he hath as it were the strength of a unicorn

Stuart

kenrch
    Participant

Quote (Stu @ Nov. 03 2007,20:45)

Re agendas:
    The Judeo-Christian book of mythology does not need me to show that it is mythology; that is almost self-evident to any critical thinker.

Re bestsellers:
    The bible (if you add the various versions together) is easily the biggest selling book of all time.  It is probably also single-handedly responsible for much of the literacy in the world.  Neither of those facts make any of it more than mythology though.  A culture can have its stories of legendary heroes of the past without having to believe them literally.  Why does christianity in particular require the belief of things that are demonstrably untrue?

Re unicorns:
    Job 39:9-12: Will the unicorn be willing to serve thee, or abide by thy crib? Canst thou bind the unicorn with band in the furrow? or will he harrow the valleys after thee? Wilt thou trust him, because his strength is great? or wilt thou leave thy labour to him? Wilt thou believe him, that he will bring home thy seed, and gather it into thy barn?
    Psalms 29:6: He maketh them also to skip like a calf; Lebanon and Sirion like a young unicorn.

Stuart

Stu I suggest you and TOW get together then the debate can be between the winner and the truth.

Seeing you and him must “prove” with the flesh that you are each correct.

Neither of you know the Spirit so neither of you can prove anything. This is a different plane, a different dimension that neither you or Tow are in. You don't understand so how can you think you can influence anyone who has the “Spirit”?

1Co 2:14 But the natural man receiveth not the things of the Spirit of God: for they are foolishness unto him: neither can he know them, because they are spiritually discerned.

Neither of you know anything “spiritual” just fleshly, of worldly things not spiritual things.

Towshab
    Participant

Quote (kenrch @ Nov. 03 2007,09:35)

Re agendas:

Re bestsellers:
    The bible (if you add the various versions together) is easily the biggest selling book of all time. It is probably also single-handedly responsible for much of the literacy in the world. Neither of those facts make any of it more than mythology though. A culture can have its stories of legendary heroes of the past without having to believe them literally. Why does christianity in particular require the belief of things that are demonstrably untrue?

Re unicorns:

Stuart

Stu I suggest you and TOW get together then the debate can be between the winner and the truth.

Seeing you and him must “prove” with the flesh that you are each correct.

Neither of you know the Spirit so neither of you can prove anything. This is a different plane, a different dimension that neither you or Tow are in. You don't understand so how can you think you can influence anyone who has the “Spirit”?

1Co 2:14 But the natural man receiveth not the things of the Spirit of God: for they are foolishness unto him: neither can he know them, because they are spiritually discerned.

Neither of you know anything “spiritual” just fleshly, of worldly things not spiritual things.

The Christian spirit: you must have it to believe in a lie.

IM4Truth
    Participant

Brothers and Sisters you need to stop answerint this Guy. He is Antichrist so why would you want to talk to Him?

Mrs.

Re agendas:

Re bestsellers:
    The bible (if you add the various versions together) is easily the biggest selling book of all time.  It is probably also single-handedly responsible for much of the literacy in the world.  Neither of those facts make any of it more than mythology though.  A culture can have its stories of legendary heroes of the past without having to believe them literally.  Why does christianity in particular require the belief of things that are demonstrably untrue?

Re unicorns:

Stuart

stu

Unfortunately for you most versions of the Bible interprets it as a wild ox or a bull, probably because no one knows what it looks like since it went extinct.

Its found just 9 times in the Bible.

Its the Hebrew word… 'rĕ'em' which means;

1) probably the great aurochs or wild bulls which are now extinct. The exact meaning is not known.

So would you say that because a species of animal went extinct that this disproves scripture?

You say…

Re bestsellers:
    The bible (if you add the various versions together) is easily the biggest selling book of all time.  It is probably also single-handedly responsible for much of the literacy in the world.
    Neither of those facts make any of it more than mythology though.

Prove it. Please show us some unambiguous evidence!

Prove that the millions of lives that have been changed by the scriptures is not true.

The fact that it is the best seller and has influenced more lives and cultures than any in history makes it self evident by any critical thinker that it is more than a Christian book of Mythology!

:D :D  :D

Stu
    Participant

Hi Kenrch

++”Stu I suggest you and TOW get together then the debate can be between the winner and the truth. Seeing you and him must “prove” with the flesh that you are each correct.

Well you will appreciate that there is a fundamental difference between us. I think he is just as deluded as you to have a literal Imaginary Friend in the sky, but I certainly agree with him that the NT is full of logical absurdities, and that the basis of christianity is mythological, and even that doesn’t make sense because it demands of its adherents a detailed literal interpretation, unlike other systems of mythological belief.

++”Neither of you know the Spirit so neither of you can prove anything. This is a different plane, a different dimension that neither you or Tow are in. You don't understand so how can you think you can influence anyone who has the “Spirit”?

Here we go with the “poor atheist let’s feel sorry for him because of his spiritual deficiencies” rubbish. I have already bored you (in quite a lot of detail) with reasons for why you believe what you do. Now you tell me exactly what deficiency you think I have. Do you not think I have human experiences that are a non-believer’s equivalent of the ones you describe? Is there such a uniquely religious “spiritual plane”, or is it all just self-righteous hot air?

++”1Co 2:14 But the natural man receiveth not the things of the Spirit of God: for they are foolishness unto him: neither can he know them, because they are spiritually discerned. Neither of you know anything “spiritual” just fleshly, of worldly things not spiritual things.

I had forgotten about this biblical insult, which matches the other verses that are designed to immunise the faithful against critical thinking. You might think I have been rude in places, but I’m no match for the shocking offense that the Judeo-Christian book of fiction can incite.

Stuart

Stu
    Participant

Hi Worshippingjesus

++”Unfortunately for you most versions of the Bible interprets it (Unicorn) as a wild ox or a bull, probably because no one knows what it looks like since it went extinct. Its found just 9 times in the Bible. Its the Hebrew word… 'rĕ'em' which means; 1) probably the great aurochs or wild bulls which are now extinct. The exact meaning is not known. So would you say that because a species of animal went extinct that this disproves scripture?

Unicorn means one horn. Why would that word be used to describe things that have two?
    So the KJV is not a reliable translation then? What else in there needs changing?

(Stu) Neither of those facts make any of it more than mythology though.

++”Prove it. Please show us some unambiguous evidence!

Luke 4:5 And the devil, taking him up into an high mountain, shewed unto him all the kingdoms of the world in a moment of time.

The Kingdom of Tonga is not far off being the antipodes of the middle east. There was an established population in Tonga possibly as early as 6,000 years ago. Of course they would not have used the English word “kingdom” but there is no question that it was one, as it is today.

Jesus could not have seen all the kingdoms of the world. (Of course the world had corners, so maybe it was flat back then!)

++”Prove that the millions of lives that have been changed by the scriptures is not true. The fact that it is the best seller and has influenced more lives and cultures than any in history makes it self evident by any critical thinker that it is more than a Christian book of Mythology!

I said that I agreed that many people’s lives had been changed. I also pointed out that for many, it was for the worse. I think of all those persecuted, murdered or made miserable by those slavishly (and I think selfishly) following the bible literally.

Stuart

acertainchap
    Participant

You have been shown a grandly large amount of verses and explanations of how to seek God, his truths, what it means to be a Christian, etc. I'm not going to respond to you for awhile because to be honest I'm seeing many board members here taking the time and effort, going around in circles trying to convince you and all you give us is an excuse.

Stu
    Participant

Quote (acertainchap @ Nov. 06 2007,01:16)
    You have been shown a grandly large amount of verses and explanations of how to seek God, his truths, what it means to be a Christian, etc. I'm not going to respond to you for awhile because to be honest I'm seeing many board members here taking the time and effort, going around in circles trying to convince you and all you give us is an excuse.

Of what are they trying to convince me? Why would they need to try and convince me of anything? Nevertheless I will certainly take seriously a reasoned argument.

I think it is a shame that you appear to be an intelligent person yet you show the same signs of biblically-induced immunity to critical thinking that others show here.

Stuart

Towshab
    Participant

Quote (Stu @ Nov. 03 2007,19:24)
    Hi Kenrch

++”Stu I suggest you and TOW get together then the debate can be between the winner and the truth. Seeing you and him must “prove” with the flesh that you are each correct.

Well you will appreciate that there is a fundamental difference between us. I think he is just as deluded as you to have a literal Imaginary Friend in the sky, but I certainly agree with him that the NT is full of logical absurdities, and that the basis of christianity is mythological, and even that doesn’t make sense because it demands of its adherents a detailed literal interpretation, unlike other systems of mythological belief.

Hey! Leave my imaginary friend alone, He is jealous! He loves me, I love Him. Who loves you? Wait are you CERTAIN they love you? What proof do you have?

++”Neither of you know the Spirit so neither of you can prove anything. This is a different plane, a different dimension that neither you or Tow are in. You don't understand so how can you think you can influence anyone who has the “Spirit”?

Here we go with the “poor atheist let’s feel sorry for him because of his spiritual deficiencies” rubbish. I have already bored you (in quite a lot of detail) with reasons for why you believe what you do. Now you tell me exactly what deficiency you think I have. Do you not think I have human experiences that are a non-believer’s equivalent of the ones you describe? Is there such a uniquely religious “spiritual plane”, or is it all just self-righteous hot air?

++”1Co 2:14 But the natural man receiveth not the things of the Spirit of God: for they are foolishness unto him: neither can he know them, because they are spiritually discerned. Neither of you know anything “spiritual” just fleshly, of worldly things not spiritual things.

I had forgotten about this biblical insult, which matches the other verses that are designed to immunise the faithful against critical thinking. You might think I have been rude in places, but I’m no match for the shocking offense that the Judeo-Christian book of fiction can incite.

Stuart

I must agree. You know atheism and Judaism are really closer than Judaism and Christianity. Both Judaism and atheism tend to focus on the 'here and now' as opposed to some lofty afterlife filled with fluffy clouds and boring angels singing weird songs. The real difference we have is that you won't give in and believe in our imaginary friend. But I understand. To the casual reader the G-d of the Tanakh does seem viscous and selfish. You really have to read it all to see the beauty. But no matter you don't believe in G-d so you will face the same afterlife you were originally expecting: none. No hellfire, no eternal torment. Sheesh and you call the G-d of Israell nasty. The god of Christianity will raise you again to tell you that you are evil and then make you burn forever.

acertainchap
    Participant

The Lord placed this verse on my heart to post in this topic…

Ephesians 2:3

3All of us also lived among them at one time, gratifying the cravings of our sinful nature and following its desires and thoughts. Like the rest, we were by nature objects of wrath. :)

Towshab
    Participant

I like this one

Deu 11:16 Take heed to yourselves, that your heart be not deceived, and ye turn aside, and serve other gods, and worship them;

acertainchap
    Participant

Hey I like that one, too!!! :laugh:

Viewing 20 posts - 41 through 60 (of 334 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 1999 - 2024 Heaven Net

Navigation

© 1999 - 2023 - Heaven Net
or

or    

Forgot your details?

or

Create Account