The bible

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 20 posts - 181 through 200 (of 334 total)
  • Author
    NickHassan
    Participant

Hi Stu,
    Rushing to simplstic judgement on the meanings of the precious words of God is not a mature approach. Spend time and let the words teach you their meaning.

Stu
    Participant

Quote (Nick Hassan @ Dec. 19 2007,05:25)
    Hi Stu,
    Rushing to simplstic judgement on the meanings of the precious words of God is not a mature approach. Spend time and let the words teach you their meaning.

But it represents such a tediously pedestrian worldview and contains no real insights into the human condition, and of course is factually incorrect. Why not get some real knowledge and a philosophy of living a good life that can actually be achieved, without the need for collecting points to get into a non-existent afterlife?

Stuart

NickHassan
    Participant

Hi Stu,
    Does every misconception relate to reproduction?
    Is every high place on earth?
    Can you perceive without seeing?
    When Jesus called the Pharisees blind guides was he telling them to see an optometrist?

Stu
    Participant

Quote (Nick Hassan @ Dec. 19 2007,06:39)
    Hi Stu,
    Does every misconception relate to reproduction?
    Is every high place on earth?
    Can you perceive without seeing?
    When Jesus called the Pharisees blind guides was he telling them to see an optometrist?

Are you saying that satan took Jesus to a high place not connected to the earth?

Stuart

NickHassan
    Participant

Hi Stu,
    I am saying you should not unscientifically rush to judgement on any of the precious words of the bible.
    Sometimes it takes time and study to find the real meaning.

acertainchap
    Participant

I agree with you, Nick. :)

IM4Truth
    Participant

Quote (acertainchap @ Dec. 20 2007,01:03)

Chap And I am so happy that you agree with nick. Keep up the good work and study hard. God has called you and He has given you to Jesus, and He will not let you go, I can see that in you.
    Bless you and may God keep you for evermore.

Peace and Love Mrs.

Stu
    Participant

Quote (Nick Hassan @ Dec. 19 2007,19:28)
    Hi Stu,
    I am saying you should not unscientifically rush to judgement on any of the precious words of the bible.
    Sometimes it takes time and study to find the real meaning.

So you have held open your judgement on the conclusions made about evolution by natural selection, ie that it could be the right explanation for speciation, have you?

Stuart

Stu
    Participant

Quote (acertainchap @ Dec. 20 2007,01:03)

What do you agree with, acertainchap? That all knowledge is provisional and therefore the bible could be wrong?

Stuart

david
    Participant

Hi stu. I'm always curious to know how many athiests celebrate the pagan holiday now known as Christmas. Do you? I would assume you do.

david

Stu
    Participant

Quote (david @ Dec. 20 2007,17:50)
    Hi stu.  I'm always curious to know how many athiests celebrate the pagan holiday now known as Christmas.  Do you?  I would assume you do.

david

Hi David

Yes there is a choice birthdays to be celebrated. Ishtar, Sol Invictus, Mithras and the christian messiah to name a few. For me personally, it is a time to think of my family with greater concentration than I might during the rest of the year; they occupy a variety of niches along the believer-non believer axis however they are all unfailing gift-receivers! I give presents in a spirit of showing love and acknowledgement for others, and I realise that some of them take the mythology of Jesus seriously, but I celebrate the facts of our existence relating to the seasons, as marked by the solistice, and appreciating the connection to our hunter-gatherer ancestors and those who began agriculture in the way their lives were ruled by the longest and shortest days and the times of the equinoxes. This connection to other humans and by via astronomy to our place in the cosmos is the kind of spiritual experience that I think would be impossibly to find in a church or in an old book of magic.

I am aware that being uneasy about the christian aspects of the christmas celebration is something that I ironically share in common with some posters here. Do you celebrate christmas?

Stuart

NickHassan
    Participant

Hi Stu,
    You seem to want others who know God to prove He exists.
    Sounds like the Jews asking for a sign and none was given them except that of Jonah.
    We are not in control of anything our Father does and it is you who needs the info so go seek.

Stu
    Participant

Quote (Nick Hassan @ Dec. 20 2007,20:04)
    Hi Stu,
    You seem to want others who know God to prove He exists.
    Sounds like the Jews asking for a sign and none was given them except that of Jonah.
    We are not in control of anything our Father does and it is you who needs the info so go seek.

Why would I ask you to do something impossible?

Stuart

NickHassan
    Participant

Hi Stu,
    I do not know but perhaps because your mind has become a stumbling block stopping you from learning things children know.

Towshab
    Participant

Hey Stu, I think Nick just said you have to remove your brain and you will start believing. It must be the same tactic Jesus used:

Mat 5:29 And if thy right eye offend thee, pluck it out, and cast it from thee: for it is profitable for thee that one of thy members should perish, and not that thy whole body should be cast into hell.
    Mat 5:30 And if thy right hand offend thee, cut it off, and cast it from thee: for it is profitable for thee that one of thy members should perish, and not that thy whole body should be cast into hell.

david
    Participant

Quote (Stu @ Dec. 20 2007,18:38)

Hi stu. I'm always curious to know how many athiests celebrate the pagan holiday now known as Christmas. Do you? I would assume you do.

david

Hi David

Yes there is a choice birthdays to be celebrated. Ishtar, Sol Invictus, Mithras and the christian messiah to name a few. For me personally, it is a time to think of my family with greater concentration than I might during the rest of the year; they occupy a variety of niches along the believer-non believer axis however they are all unfailing gift-receivers! I give presents in a spirit of showing love and acknowledgement for others, and I realise that some of them take the mythology of Jesus seriously, but I celebrate the facts of our existence relating to the seasons, as marked by the solistice, and appreciating the connection to our hunter-gatherer ancestors and those who began agriculture in the way their lives were ruled by the longest and shortest days and the times of the equinoxes. This connection to other humans and by via astronomy to our place in the cosmos is the kind of spiritual experience that I think would be impossibly to find in a church or in an old book of magic.

I am aware that being uneasy about the christian aspects of the christmas celebration is something that I ironically share in common with some posters here. Do you celebrate christmas?

Stuart

sounds like something a neo-pagan would say.

No, I don't celebrate the holiday now named christmas. I feel it is an insult to Christ to combine his birth (which wasn't on that date) with lies/paganism/commercialim/etc.

How odd that I who believe in Jesus am in no way celebrating his supposed birth and you, who do not believe in Jesus, do partake in in the supposed celebration of his birth, despite your attempt to put a solstice spin on it.

Stu
    Participant

Quote (david @ Dec. 21 2007,13:55)

Quote (Stu @ Dec. 20 2007,18:38)

Hi stu.  I'm always curious to know how many athiests celebrate the pagan holiday now known as Christmas.  Do you?  I would assume you do.

david

Hi David

Yes there is a choice birthdays to be celebrated.  Ishtar, Sol Invictus, Mithras and the christian messiah to name a few.   For me personally, it is a time to think of my family with greater concentration than I might during the rest of the year; they occupy a variety of niches along the believer-non believer axis however they are all unfailing gift-receivers!  I give presents in a spirit of showing love and acknowledgement for others, and I realise that some of them take the mythology of Jesus seriously, but I celebrate the facts of our existence relating to the seasons, as marked by the solistice, and appreciating the connection to our hunter-gatherer ancestors and those who began agriculture in the way their lives were ruled by the longest and shortest days and the times of the equinoxes.  This connection to other humans and by via astronomy to our place in the cosmos is the kind of spiritual experience that I think would be impossibly to find in a church or in an old book of magic.

I am aware that being uneasy about the christian aspects of the christmas celebration is something that I ironically share in common with some posters here.  Do you celebrate christmas?

Stuart

sounds like something a neo-pagan would say.

No, I don't celebrate the holiday now named christmas.  I feel it is an insult to Christ to combine his birth (which wasn't on that date) with lies/paganism/commercialim/etc.

How odd that I who believe in Jesus am in no way celebrating his supposed birth and you, who do not believe in Jesus, do partake in in the supposed celebration of his birth, despite your attempt to put a solstice spin on it.

I think it is you putting the spin on.

Stuart

Stu
    Participant

Quote (Nick Hassan @ Dec. 21 2007,05:02)
    Hi Stu,
    I do not know but perhaps because your mind has become a stumbling block stopping you from learning things children know.

What is it that children know that I do not, Nick?

Stuart

Son of Light
    Participant

Quote (Stu @ Jan. 06 2008,20:54)

Hi Stu,

Stuart

He means believing what scriptures say. Children will believe scriptures if you tell them they are true.

The true meaning of Jesus words in my opinion is that Children don't need lofty educations to know right and wrong. Not that we should blindly except dogma.

Children know that hate, persecution, bigotry, war, selfishness and other simular acts are evil.

Children know right from wrong if they are brought up in a culture that encourages the examination and expression of man's inner spirit and moral compass.

NickHassan
    Participant

Quote (Stu @ Jan. 06 2008,20:54)

Hi Stu,

Stuart

Hi Stu,
    You obviously have read the bible and believe from it of the existence of Jesus and Paul. So if the records are true these records speak of healings and resurrections and deliverances.

So it is these aspects of the records that you choke on?

You hear the words but find inconsistencies in them from your viewpoint?

Perhaps children would be amazed at what is recorded and they would believe?

Viewing 20 posts - 181 through 200 (of 334 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 1999 - 2024 Heaven Net

Navigation

© 1999 - 2023 - Heaven Net
or

or    

Forgot your details?

or

Create Account