Testimonies

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 20 posts - 41 through 60 (of 98 total)
  • Author

Quote (georg @ Oct. 12 2009,10:23)

Quote (followerofJesus @ Oct. 12 2009,10:04)
    Thornton Heath is a toen in London. England.

Mmmmmmmmmm  sounds like a really nice town.  As far as being Baptized, as long as the Church you belong to submerges you under water, IMO and then Baptizes you:” In the Name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Spirit, Amen. You will know.  We did and we are so happy that we did.  May God lead you in all truths, God Bless you.
    Peace and Love Irene

what is the name of the Father Son and Holy Spirit?

followerofJesus
    Participant

God the Father. Jehovah
    God the Son. Jesus Christ
    God the Holy Spirit. Holy Spirit

NickHassan
    Participant

Hi FOJ,
    Why do you offer catholic theology?
    We have real food here.

followerofJesus
    Participant

Hahahaha

I am not Catholic

The Fathers name is Jehovah
    The Sons name is Jesus Christ
    The Holy Spirits name is Holy Spirit

Sigh

Jehovah Jireh,God will provide
    Hehovah Shalom, God heals us
    Jehovah Tsidkendu, God our righteousness
    Jehovah Shammah, God who is there

NH

you can believe what you want but

I do not know anything about Catholocism

Peace and God bless you

NickHassan
    Participant

Hi FOJ,
    So is Jesus the Son of God or GOD THE SON?
    Holy Scripture agrees with the first option
    Only catholic theology teaches the latter.

followerofJesus
    Participant

NH

This is a place for testimonie not an argument forum

I really do not know about Catholic theology

I know that Jesus is God

And yes he is the Son of God. the Son of God the Father

the Bible speaks on that

It really sounds like your Jehovahs witness

So I no longer want to continue this argument

I tried to help

though you believe what you believe

NickHassan
    Participant

Hi FOJ,
    Then learn of the Son of God.
    I have walked in your ways of confusion.
    They only lead to doubts and anxiety as they separate from the love of God

followerofJesus
    Participant

What you mean to say is

Follow your teachings

Deny the deity of God the Son

That is no enlightenment at all

Let us go back to The testimonies and set aside this pointless debate

For you are unwilling to accept

and I am unwilling to accept your False teachings about Jesus Christ

georg
    Participant

Quote (followerofJesus @ Oct. 14 2009,13:01)
    What you mean to say is

Follow your teachings

Deny the deity of God the Son

That is no enlightenment at all

Let us go back to The testimonies and set aside this pointless debate

For you are unwilling to accept

and I am unwilling to accept your False teachings about Jesus Christ

Again your really have to read up on the trinity Doctrine.  I did a post to you in the uncondional love tread, please read it.  That doctrine is not of God, but of men.  Sorry to burst your bubble.  I know all about it since we came out of the Catholc Church.  If Nick moved that post, and it should be under the trinity tread, please for your sake read it.
    You will not be denying the deity of the Son.  Jesus is not our Father,  He is above all.  
    And telling you the truth is not pointless at all.  :(  :(  :(
    Irene

NickHassan
    Participant

Hi FOJ,
    If Jesus is also your god how many gods do you serve?

followerofJesus
    Participant

believe what you want

georg
    Participant

Quote (followerofJesus @ Oct. 15 2009,04:38)
    believe what you want

And you should learn from others that know the truth. Catholic theolgy is not of God, but of men.
    And this is what Scriptures say how God feelas about that.

Math. 15:9 In Vain do they worship Me, teaching the doctrine the caommandment of men.
    Irene

e seerve only one god and Jesus is His name

georg
    Participant

Quote (Jesus name follower of Christ @ Oct. 15 2009,09:24)
    e seerve only one god and Jesus is His name

Really!!!! And what about the Father of Jesus. Jesus said that my Father is greater then I. John 14:28
    And in
    Ephesians 4:6 ..one God and Father of all, who is above all and in us all.”
    I serve our Heavenly Father like Jesus did. But I honorJesus Christ because He dserves all honor and glory, He is King of Kings an Lord of Lords.
    Irene

followerofJesus
    Participant

but that is Just It

Though I can not now remember where it is in the Bible

I remember when people were asking Jesus about the Father

And Jesus responded that those who have seen me have seen the Father

rememder the commandment

Read Exodus 20 focus on verse 3, 4 and 5

Read and re read your Bibles Every verse that talks about Jesus

Many poeple Believe the Father is God

But not the Son

If he is not God then we are not really saved and still living in Darkness

read John 3 verse 3
    John 3 verse 11

Now remember that Jesus is unlike ANY man ever

Read Ephesians 2 verse 8, 9 and perhaps 10

Jesus is the Messiah our saviour

Remember if we coulld save ourselves then Grace would bee something than can be obtained and thus useless

If Jesus is not God then we are still in darkness and have been told a terrible lie

“and you shall know the truth and the truth shall set you free”

Many people believe that God the Father is God

But do not believe That Jesus is God

Just believing him to be just a really good teacher

Even though Jesus Set the standard, Is the standard

There is NOBODY like him

remember “he who rejects me, rejects he who sent me”

Jesus said “I am the way the truth and the life, no one comes to the Father except by me”

Jesus is the only way to Heaven, The only way to the Father

Often the Bible refers to him as the Lamb upon the throne

He sits on the right hand side of God the Father

Now think about it, even though it is on the right hand side

Do you think that God will let ANYONE other than God sit on the throne of Heaven

I only share my Faith

Though remember that God will not force himself on anybody

Nobody can make you believe

So instead of arguing let us All just ask God to reveal the truth to us

Read 1 Corinthians 1 verse 30
    Read Matthew 7 verse 8

Peace and God bless you all

NickHassan
    Participant

Hi FOJ,
    So Jesus is not who he says he is, the Son of God?
    If we ignore him and rather listen to you we are now enlightened?
    But he is the light, the truth, and the anointed one of God and we have some concerns about you.

georg
    Participant

Quote (followerofJesus @ Oct. 16 2009,05:25)
    but that is Just It

rememder the commandment

But not the Son

read John 3 verse 3
          John 3 verse 11

Remember if we coulld save ourselves then Grace would bee something than can be obtained and thus useless

If Jesus is not God then we are still in darkness and have been told a terrible lie

There is NOBODY like him

Jesus said “I am the way the truth and the life, no one comes to the Father except by me”

Do you think that God will let ANYONE other than God sit on the throne of Heaven

I only share my Faith

Read Matthew 7 verse 8

We are not in the Old Covenant anymore.  We are under the New Covenant in Luke 22:19
    The Old Covenant is Exodus 34:27-28 The LORD said to Moses, “Write these word, according to the tenor of these words I have made a covenant with Israel.
    verse 28 So he was there with the LORD forty days and forty nights; he neither ate bread or drank water.  And he wrote on the tablets of the covenant the Ten Commandments.
    Luke 22:20…  This cup is the new covenant in My Blood, which is shed for you.”
    Romans 6:14 For sin shall have not dominion over you, for you are not under law but grace.
    Romans 7:14 For w know that the law is spiritual, but i am carnal sold under sin.
    verse 15 For what I am doing, I do not understand For what I will do, that I do not practise; but what I hate that I do.
    verse 16 If then I, I do what I will not to do, I agree with the law that it is good.
    verse 17 Now it is no longer I, who do it, but sin that dwells in me.
    verse 18  For I know what is in me ( that is in my flesh) nothing good dwells; for to will is present with me, but how to perform what is good, I do not find.
    verse 19 For the good that I will to do, I do not do; but the evil I will not to do, that I practise.

These words are rather hard to understand, but in essence what Paul is saying that sin is not imputed to us.  We are under grace.
    Ephesians 2: 8 ” For by grace you have been saved, through faith and that not of yourselves, it is a free gift of God.
    verse 9 not of works, lest anyone should boast.
    But if we sin, we have a Mediator Jesus Christ that we can go to the Throne of God and He will forgive us our Sins.  Jesus is our perfect Sacrifice and no other is needed.  Why do I say that?  Because in the old covenant the had to sacrifice an animal, for their atonement.  But we are under the Blood of Christ Luke 22:20.
    No other is needed again.  We do not sin purposely.  The Holy Spirit will tell us immediately when we do sin. Jesus is called God by His Father and in John 1:1 the word is God.
    Hebrew 1:8  But to the Son He says: ” Your Throne O God, is forever, a scepter of righteousness is the Scepter of Your Kingdom.
    verse 9 You have loved righteousness an hated lawlessness;  Therefore God Your God has anointed You with the oil of gladness more then Your companions. Most here say tho that Jesus is the Son of God ,and that is true also.  What IMO the word God is, is a  title and we too are called the Sons of God, the Adopted Sons of God, and so are the Angels.  We are the Family of God.  
    Peace and Love Irene

Quote (georg @ Oct. 15 2009,15:04)

Quote (followerofJesus @ Oct. 16 2009,05:25)
    but that is Just It

rememder the commandment

But not the Son

read John 3 verse 3
          John 3 verse 11

There is NOBODY like him

I only share my Faith

Read Matthew 7 verse 8

We are not in the Old Covenant anymore.  We are under the New Covenant in Luke 22:19
    The Old Covenant is Exodus 34:27-28 The LORD said to Moses, “Write these word, according to the tenor of these words I have made a covenant with Israel.
    verse 28 So he was there with the LORD forty days and forty nights; he neither ate bread or drank water.  And he wrote on the tablets of the covenant the Ten Commandments.
    Luke 22:20…  This cup is the new covenant in My Blood, which is shed for you.”
    Romans 6:14 For sin shall have not dominion over you, for you are not under law but grace.
    Romans 7:14 For w know that the law is spiritual, but i am carnal sold under sin.
    verse 15 For what I am doing, I do not understand For what I will do, that I do not practise; but what I hate that I do.
    verse 16 If then I, I do what I will not to do, I agree with the law that it is good.
    verse 17 Now it is no longer I, who do it, but sin that dwells in me.
    verse 18  For I know what is in me ( that is in my flesh) nothing good dwells; for to will is present with me, but how to perform what is good, I do not find.
    verse 19 For the good that I will to do, I do not do; but the evil I will not to do, that I practise.

These words are rather hard to understand, but in essence what Paul is saying that sin is not imputed to us.  We are under grace.
    Ephesians 2: 8 ” For by grace you have been saved, through faith and that not of yourselves, it is a free gift of God.
    verse 9 not of works, lest anyone should boast.
    But if we sin, we have a Mediator Jesus Christ that we can go to the Throne of God and He will forgive us our Sins.  Jesus is our perfect Sacrifice and no other is needed.  Why do I say that?  Because in the old covenant the had to sacrifice an animal, for their atonement.  But we are under the Blood of Christ Luke 22:20.
    No other is needed again.  We do not sin purposely.  The Holy Spirit will tell us immediately when we do sin. Jesus is called God by His Father and in John 1:1 the word is God.
    Hebrew 1:8  But to the Son He says: ” Your Throne O God, is forever, a scepter of righteousness is the Scepter of Your Kingdom.
    verse 9 You have loved righteousness an hated lawlessness;  Therefore God Your God has anointed You with the oil of gladness more then Your companions. Most here say tho that Jesus is the Son of God ,and that is true also.  What IMO the word God is, is a  title and we too are called the Sons of God, the Adopted Sons of God, and so are the Angels.  We are the Family of God.  
    Peace and Love Irene

These words are rather hard to understand, but in essence what Paul is saying that sin is not imputed to us. We are under grace.

So your saying sin is not are fault (“imputed”)?

What is Grace? What does Grace do?

Hebrew: Chen: Grace: Favor, grace, charm, elegance, acceptance; From Hebrew: Chanan: Grace: To be gracious, show favor, pity, have mercy on, be shown consideration.

If there be no sin, then what is grace?

What do we need pitied from?

What do we need to be shown consideration from?

What do we need to have mercy on?

What do we need to be shown favor on?

Greek: Charis: Grace: Good will, loving-kindness, favor, of the merciful kindness by which God,

A great example:

We get used to the idea that positive changes in a person can happen only as minor modifications, with defects remaining anyway. There are many theories of personality development (on becoming a person). Almost no one strives with psychological measures to modify a human being toward perfection. But the Bible suggests this as a valid possibility.

Holy Scripture sees the process of becoming a complete person as a restoration (reconstruction or recreation) of perfect human nature, which was lost after the Fall (2) and calls the process “sanctification.” For simplicity let us illustrate this process with Jesus Christ's method: a parable. This is a theological allegory, “Good and Bad News.”

Tom was a terrible criminal. He was proud of not having any conscience, and that he had committed every possible crime. Eventually he was caught. In prison and worried about what would happen next. He thought about escaping, and even about suicide. But both were impossible. He was too well guarded. He rehearsed different speeches denying his evil deeds, but none of them sounded persuasive enough. His future seemed absolutely dark. He knew that he had gotten himself into a desperate situation.

Who does the Bible consider to be a law-breaker, a sinner? “All have sinned and fall short of the glory of God” (Rom. 3:25). It means this message applies to every one of us.

The only thing that prevents us from reaching perfection and sanctification is sin. What is sin? “Everyone who sins breaks the law; in fact, sin is lawlessness”-or- “Sin is the transgression of the law” (1 Jn 3:4 KJV), or breaking the Law of God.

What is God's Law? It is the 10 Commandments, written in the book of Exodus, chapter 20, and verses 2-17:

1.”I am the LORD your God, You shall have no other gods before Me.
    2.You shall not make for yourself an idol in the form of anything in heaven above or on the earth beneath or in the waters below. You shall not bow down to them or worship them;
    3.You shall not misuse the name of the LORD your God,
    4.Remember the Sabbath day by keeping it holy. Six days you shall labor and do all your work, but the seventh day is a Sabbath to the LORD your God.
    5.Honor your father and your mother.
    6.You shall not murder.
    7.You shall not commit adultery.
    8.You shall not steal.
    9.You shall not give false testimony against your neighbor.
    10.You shall not covet your neighbor's house. You shall not covet your neighbor's wife, . or anything that belongs to your neighbor.”
    Guilt is determined in court. Who is subjected to the trial court? “For we will all stand before God's judgment seat.” (Rom. 14:10).

A prison guard came to Tom's cell and said, “Tom, we have two pieces of news for you, one good and one bad.” The prisoner was keeping silence gloomily. But at the bottom of his heart he was longing for any changes. He was ready for the worst though. The guard continued, “The good news is this: a lawyer took your case. And he's the best attorney in the world.”

Who is the defense attorney (advocate) at the universal trial? “But if anybody does sin, we have one who speaks to the Father in our defense– Jesus Christ, the Righteous One.” “And if any man sin, we have an advocate with the Father, Jesus Christ the righteous” (1 Jn 2:1 KJV).

Tom kept silence. He knew that there was a trap. The guard continued, “The bad news is your case has the world's best prosecutor.”

Who is this prosecutor? “He great dragon was hurled down– that ancient serpent called the devil, or Satan, who leads the whole world astray… For the accuser of our brothers, who accuses them before our God day and night, has been hurled down” (Rev. 12:9-10).

The guard continued, “It's sheer madness to defend you. But the lawyer will see you tomorrow anyway.”

The next day a pleasant man knocked at the door. Tom gave a start, maliciously laughed and bitterly asked: “Why are you knocking? You have the key!” “I come in only if I'm invited,” the guest replied.

Does Christ intrude in a human's life without invitation, without knocking? “Here I am! I stand at the door and knock. If anyone hears my voice and opens the door, I will come in and eat with him, and he with Me” (Rev. 3:20). The Lord is knocking at the door of our hearts patiently waiting for an invitation. He depends on us to decide to open this door for Him and to let Him come into our lives to become our Lord and Savior.

“Well, in that case, come in,” Tom said.

The guest entered and had a seat. “Who are you?” Tom asked.

“I'm a defense attorney. I understand you are looking for a lawyer.”

“Yes, I am. Tell me about your qualifications. I heard you are very good. But if you're that good, maybe I won't be able to pay your fee,” said Tom.

“I have good and bad news. The good news is that I haven't lost a single case. I can guarantee success at your trial if you give yourself into my hands.”

Is it true that justification (public declaration of righteousness) of a sinner is guaranteed if Christ takes our case? We “are justified freely by His grace through the redemption that came by Christ Jesus” (Rom. 3:24). “He who has the Son has life; he who does not have the Son of God does not have life. I write these things to you who believe in the name of the Son of God so that you may know that you have eternal life” (1 Jn 5:12,13). “He is the atoning sacrifice for our sins, and not only for ours but also the sins of the whole world” (1 Jn 2:2).

“And the bad news is your fee, isn't it? Don't hide anything from me. How much is it?” The prisoner asked.

“This is free.”

“Sorry, I don't understand.”

“This is free”, the attorney repeated.

“Hey, I'm not rich, but I don't need your charity,” stiffly snapped out Tom.”If I manage to get out of here I'll get the money.”

The lawyer smiled tenderly: “No, Tom. In order for me to help you, you need to accept it as a gift. You can't pay for any part of this help. It's priceless and that's why it's completely free. It's one of the conditions for me to take your case.”

Do we need to pay for salvation, to earn it with good deeds, or is it given for free as a gift? “For it is by grace you have been saved, through faith– and this not from yourselves, it is the gift of God, not by works, so that no one can boast” (Eph. 2:8).

Is it possible for us to be saved from our sins by ourselves, without Christ?

An unconverted person who doesn't know God is selfish by his own nature. We were born on the side of the enemy – Satan. True disinterested altruism is missing in us. When we sacrifice something (manifests altruism” in common sense of this word or “rational, reasonable altruism”, or “altruism” by reckoning; calculating, when it is profitable), we expect to get something back. If we don't get this or we get evil back we feel deceived and hostile to our beneficiary. Without God we cannot love our enemies. “Very rarely will anyone die for a righteous man, though for a good man someone might possibly dare to die. But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us” (Rom. 5:7,8.).

Unbelievers are eager to “take,” not to “give.” Larry Crabb wrote:

“Non-Christians are committed to using resources under their control to make life work for them and to experience whatever satisfying quality of life they can arrange. They do not have the life of Christ as an available energy. Their energy consist of anti-God independence, self-reliance, a “get what you need for yourself then worry about someone else” attitude. That energy can never be improved into something good, but it can be replaced by something good” (1, p.36).

The transformation of an egoist into an altruist, a sinner into a righteous person can be done only by God, because it requires a replacement of our selfis
    h minds with “the mind of Christ” (1 Cor. 2:16) to think as God thinks. “Salvation is found in no one else, for there is no other name under heaven given to men by which we must be saved” Acts 4:12. If salvation could be possible for a human due to his/her own efforts then there would be no need for Christ to die and to redeem sinners with His death.

For a number of minutes the prisoner was silent. Then he asked, “What are the rest of conditions of receiving your assistance?”

“I have some more good and bad news for you. The good news is next: If you want to cooperate with me, all you need is merely ask me for help. And I will immediately deal with your case.”

Is it necessary to ask God for help or for salvation? Some people believe that God is All-powerful and All knowing, thus, He Himself should know everything and do for us what He considers to be necessary. But to know something and to intervene in a person's life are different things. “So I say to you: Ask and it will be given to you; seek and you will find; knock and the door will be opened to you. For everyone who asks receives; he who seeks finds; and to him who knocks, the door will be opened.” (Lk. 11: 9,10).

And if we don't ask, will we get from God what we want? “You do not have, because you do not ask God.” (Jas. 4:2b).

“The bad news is that if I take your case, you will have to confess your guilt.”

Tom opened his mouth in astonishment.

“But aren't you guilty?” the lawyer asked.

“Oh, yes, I am. But if I confess I won't have any chance for acquittal. How then can you help me?”

Is it really necessary to accept that we are guilty sinners? “He who conceals his sins does not prosper, but whoever confesses and renounces them finds mercy.” (Prov. 28:13). “If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just and will forgive us our sins and purify us from all unrighteousness” (1 Jn 1:9).

The way to transformation (restoration) of a person in Christianity begins with acceptance of one's sinful fallen state. We need to become aware of our sinfulness, the fact that we have lost the perfect state, which humans had in Eden. As a result of it emerges the need for a Savior. While a human considers himself to be OK, he doesn't need any Redeemer.

“I have more bad and good news for you,” the lawyer continued. “First the bad news: If you plead guilty you will be certainly convicted. And if you won't accept your guilt the prosecutor has enough evidence to prove it, so one way or another you will receive a guilty verdict. And the death penalty is inescapable.”

What is the verdict for unrepented sin? In any law there is a punishment for breaking it. It is in the God's Law also. “For the wages of sin is death.” (Rom. 6:23). Humans are mortal because we are sinful.

Which criterion will God use in His trial? “Speak and act as those who are going to be judged by the law that gives freedom. For whoever keeps the whole law and yet stumbles at just one point is guilty of breaking all of it.” (Jas. 2:12,10).

Which Law is mentioned? “But the man who looks intently into the perfect law that gives freedom, and continues to do this, not forgetting what he has heard, but doing it — he will be blessed in what he does. For He who said, “Do not commit adultery,” also said, “Do not murder.” If you do not commit adultery but do commit murder, you have become a lawbreaker.” ( Jas. 1:25; 2:11).

This sounds pretty harsh. A human being aware that by himself he can't meet all the requirements of the broken God's Law might despair.

“Why have a trial if I will get the death penalty anyway? – desperately cried Tom.”

“You forget that I have good news also”, the lawyer said. “I will readily take your punishment upon myself and you will be released”.

“No, this is impossible!” Tom shouted, “It was not you who led a reprobate life, but me. I did not do any good and I deserve nothing but death. I couldn't allow you to pay such a high price for my crimes!”

The attorney spoke gently, “But, Tom, I have already paid the price. All you need to do it just accept my substitution. It is yours, if you accept it and it is complete. It will entirely pay for all your crimes.”

Indeed, by our own efforts, without God it is impossible to fulfill His Law. But God provides for people this opportunity. For what the law was powerless to do in that it was weakened by the sinful nature, {flesh} God did by sending His own Son in the likeness of sinful man to be a sin offering. {Or man, for sin} And so He condemned sin in sinful man, {Or in the flesh} in order that the righteous requirements of the law might be fully met in us, who do not live according to the sinful nature (flesh) but according to the Spirit. For if you live according to the sinful nature (flesh), you will die; but if by the Spirit you put to death the misdeeds of the body, you will live. But if Christ is in you, your body is dead because of sin, yet your spirit is alive because of righteousness.” (Rom. 8:3,4,13,10).

Did Jesus truly take our punishment upon Himself? “For Christ died for sins once for all, the righteous for the unrighteous, to bring you to God.” “He Himself bore our sins in His body on the tree, so that we might die to sins and live for righteousness; by His wounds you have been healed” (1 Pet. 3:18, 2:24). “For God so loved the world that He gave His one and only Son that whoever believes in Him shall not perish but have eternal life” (Jn 3:16). “John saw Jesus coming toward him and said, “Look, the Lamb of God, who takes away the sin of the world!” (Jn 1:29). “The blood of Jesus, His Son, purifies us from all sin” ( 1 Jn 1:7).

After a long silence Tom asked quietly, “Is there anything else that I should know before the trial begins?”

The attorney nodded. “Yes, I have more good and bad news. The next good news is this: you will be forgiven and obtain mercy. You can stand before God and people as if you never sinned. But one piece of news could seem bad for you”.

“Which one?”

“You will be a criminal no more.” “What do you mean?” “You will become a new person, you will walk along a new way. My job is not only to pay for your crimes. I have something more to fulfil in your life. While waiting for trial, you will no longer lie, steal, and kill. You will become a new person, a pure one.”

Is it possible indeed to stop being a sinner if a human accepts Christ? “Therefore, if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creation; the old has gone, the new has come!” (2 Cor. 5:17). “You are to give Him the name Jesus, because He will save His people from their sins.” (Mt. 1:21). ” No one who is born of God will continue to sin, because God's seed remains in him; he cannot go on sinning, because he has been born of God.” (1 Jn 3:9).

Is it possible for a forgiven sinner to bury his past sins and to get rid of them so completely that they won't influence his future life? “You will again have compassion on us; You will tread our sins underfoot and hurl all our iniquities into the depths of the sea.” (Mic. 7:19). “You have put all my sins behind Your back.” (Isa. 38:17). “This is the covenant that I will make with them after those days, saith the Lord, I will put my laws into their hearts, and in their minds will I write them; And their sins and iniquities will I remember no more.” (KJV Heb. 10:16-17).

How can we determine that a person has truly accepted Christ and abides in Him? ” The man who says, “I know Him,” but does not do what He commands is a liar, and the truth is not in him. But if anyone obeys His word, God's love is truly made complete in him. This is how we know we are in Him: Whoever claims to live in Him must walk as Jesus did.” (1 Jn 2:4-6). “No one who continues to sin has either seen Him or known Him.” (1 Jn 3:6b). The word “know” in biblical language relates to the process of getting to know a person through establishing the closest intimate relationships. The same word is used in the book of Genesis 4:1a, w
    here the Scripture says about marriage intimacy. ” KJV And Adam knew Eve his wife; and she conceived, and bare Cain.”

“You will cooperate with me, and we will become good friends. Dealing with me day by day you will hate the things you loved and you will love the things you use to hate. You will be an entirely new human.”

If you want to be changed, to become a better human, if you feel discontent with what you are now the Bible has this wonderful news for you about the way to grow in Christ towards perfection and purity. It is really possible. My own life in the Lord convinces me about it. Moreover the state of perfection itself is possible. In the Beatitudes Christ urged His listeners: “Be perfect, therefore, as your heavenly Father is perfect.” (Mt. 5:48). He could not lie to them and to us, calling people to something non-existent.

How does this transformation (sanctification) happen? The Scripture mentions a number of conditions of becoming a whole, complete person. We'll name five of them.

1) The central Mediator, Incarnation of human's essence in Christian culture (3) and the Major Example and Ideal for a Christian is Jesus Christ. “I have set you an example that you should do as I have done for you.” (Jn 13:15). His influence takes place due to scientifically known psychological mechanism of identification: “And we, who with unveiled faces all reflect the Lord's glory, are being transformed into His likeness with ever-increasing glory, which comes from the Lord, who is the Spirit.” (2 Cor. 3:18). A believer in any life circumstance put him/herself at the place of Christ and imagines what would Christ say or do in such situation. Where can we get reliable information about the character and behavior of Christ?

2) ” You diligently study the Scriptures because you think that by them you possess eternal life. These are the Scriptures that testify about Me.” (Jn 5:39). ” Sanctify them by the truth; your word is truth.” (Jn 17:17). Sanctification is happening through knowing the Word of God and meditating on it. When we constantly diligently study the Bible, we become acquainted with God's holiness and God's will. Meditating, taking heed to God's word is essential in Christian walk. ” KJV Then said Jesus to those Jews which believed on him, If ye continue in my word, then are ye my disciples indeed.” (Jn 8:31).

By being absorbed with the world of the Holy Word of God a human is transformed, purified and becomes better. “You are already clean because of the word I have spoken to you.” (Jn 15:3). The Bible and the Law of God is called a spiritual mirror. “Anyone who listens to the word. is like a man who looks at his face in a mirror.” (Jas. 1:23).

Beyond psychological mechanisms the Biblical way of becoming a person and growing in Christ has special supernatural mechanisms.

3) It is the Holy Spirit's influence through faith and prayer: “And that is what some of you were. But you were washed, you were sanctified, you were justified in the name of the Lord Jesus Christ and by the Spirit of our God.” (1 Cor. 6:11). “From the beginning God chose you to be saved through the sanctifying work of the Spirit and through belief in the truth.” (2 Thess. 2:13b).

It is necessary to stay with God in a permanent close relationship, to communicate with Him, as with a friend. Jesus said to His followers: “I no longer call you servants, because a servant does not know his master's business. Instead, I have called you friends, for everything that I learned from my Father I have made known to you.” (Jn 15:15). “It is because of Him that you are in Christ Jesus, who has become for us wisdom from God– that is, our righteousness, holiness and redemption” (1 Cor. 1:30). This communication is going on through the Holy Spirit, by means of prayer and faith. “Because from the beginning God chose you to be saved through the sanctifying work of the Spirit and through belief in the truth” (2 Thess. 2:13b).

4) The important condition of sanctification and salvation from sin is faith. “For it is by grace you have been saved, through faith– and this not from yourselves, it is the gift of God.” (Eph. 2:8).

What is biblical faith? “Now faith is being sure of what we hope for and certain of what we do not see.” “Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen.” (Heb. 11:1 NKJ).

How one can obtain faith? “Consequently, faith comes from hearing the message, and the message is heard through the word of Christ” (Rom. 10:17).

5) Witnessing for people about the Lord, confession of our faith, accepting Christ, as our Lord and Savior before the people, is one more requirement of sanctification. “That if you confess with your mouth, “Jesus is Lord,” and believe in your heart that God raised Him from the dead, you will be saved.

For it is with your heart that you believe and are justified, and it is with your mouth that you confess and are saved” (Rom. 10:9-10). “They overcame him by the blood of the Lamb and by the word of their testimony.” (Rev. 12:11).

Is sanctification instantaneous act or a long process? “B eing confident of this, that He who began a good work in you will carry it on to completion until the day of Christ Jesus.” (Phil. 1:6). “The path of the righteous is like the first gleam of dawn, shining ever brighter till the full light of day.” (Prov. 4:18).

In Christianity there are several stages on becoming a person: faith, repentance, conversion (new birth) and, at last dedication.

First step = believe God. Is it enough merely to believe in God's existence and to go on living according to our own understanding? “You believe that there is one God. You do well. Even the demons believe – and tremble! But do you want to know, O foolish man, that faith without works is dead?” (Jas. 2:19-20 NKJ).

Real faith should be alive and lead us to victory over sin. “F or everyone born of God overcomes the world. This is the victory that has overcome the world, even our faith. Who is it that overcomes the world? Only he who believes that Jesus is the Son of God.” (1 Jn 5:4-5).

Second step = repentance, i.e. feeling sorry for sin, sadness and contrition because of committed sin. ” Repent, then, and turn to God, so that your sins may be wiped out, that times of refreshing may come from the Lord.” (Acts 3:19).

How is it possible to repent? “God exalted Him to His own right hand as Prince and Savior that He might give repentance and forgiveness of sins to Israel.” (Acts 5:31). God gives us repentance. In order to get it we just ask Him to do it. “God's kindness leads you toward repentance?” (Rom. 2:4b). What is a manifestation of this kindness? “God is love.” (1 Jn 4:8b). When we learn about God's love and mercy we feel sorry for our sins. The Lord does not state merely in words that He loves us.” But God demonstrates His own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us.” (Rom. 5:8). That's why the Gospel (good news) about crucified Savior is a core (heart) of Christianity. “For I resolved to know nothing while I was with you except Jesus Christ and Him crucified.” (1 Cor. 1:13).

Third step = conversion and a new birth. “Repent therefore and be converted, that your sins may be blotted out.” (Acts 3:19 NKJ). Conversion is complete U-turn of one's life course, movement in the opposite direction. It means one turns away from sin and leaves it. Almost simultaneously with it new birth happens. ” Jesus declared, “I tell you the truth, no one can see the kingdom of God unless he is born again. .I tell you the truth, no one can enter the kingdom of God unless he is born of water and the Spirit.” (Jn 3:3,5).

How does this new birth happen? “Therefore say: 'This is what the Sovereign LORD says: I will give them an undivided heart and put a new spirit in them; I will remove from them their heart of stone and give them a heart of flesh.” ( Ezek. 11:17,19). This work depends not on human, but on God. A human only asks God to perform
    this work in him/her and to fulfill His promise and follow God in respond to what He tells him to do.

A crucial step is following Jesus and dedication of oneself to serve the Lord and our neighbors. “To this you were called, because Christ suffered for you, leaving you an example, that you should follow in His steps.” (1 Pet. 2:21). “Whoever serves me must follow Me; and where I am, My servant also will be. My Father will honor the one who serves Me.” (Jn 12:26).

Tom, having heard about the perspective of entire transformation, became agitated. “Your perspective of pardon seems attractive to me. But, what if I want to go my own way? Can't we make a deal so that I only get discharged from punishment? Is it really necessary for me to stop being a criminal?”

The lawyer answered, “Forgiveness is valid only for those who want Me to give them a new life.”

Do we need to obey God, to follow His will? “Now a man came up to Jesus and asked, “Teacher, what good thing must I do to get eternal life?” If you want to enter life, obey the commandments. ” Which ones?” the man inquired. Jesus replied, “'Do not murder, do not commit adultery, do not steal, do not give false testimony, honor your father and mother,' and 'love your neighbor as yourself.'” (Mt. 19:16-19). Here Christ quotes The Ten Commandments. “And, once made perfect, He became the source of eternal salvation for all who obey Him.” (Heb. 5:9). Christ does not leave any place for speculations about the possibility to break God's law being under God's grace. ” Do we, then, nullify the law by this faith? Not at all! Rather, we uphold the law.” (Rom. 3:31).

Tom fixed his eyes on the floor for a long time. The attorney was patiently waiting for his decision. Finally Tom lifted up his head. “I plead guilty. I really don't want to be a criminal any more. I accept your help.”

The lawyer got up and held out His hand. Tom shook it heartily and their deal came into force. “Maybe there is something else I should know before you leave?”

“Yes, there is one more last thing. One more piece of good and bad news for you.”

Tom smiled: “Tell me the bad one first. I see now that all your bad news are not really so bad!”

The attorney smiled back: “The bad news is that we will set the date for your trial.”

“Well, come on, is that bad news?” – Tom exclaimed, “With a lawyer like you, why would I want to stay at this place without trial?”

When God's judgment takes place? ” Fear God and give Him glory, because the hour of His judgment has come.” (Rev. 14:7.)

This statement includes a number of important truths for our discussion. First: d oes fear of God mean to be afraid of Him? “Moses said to the people, “Do not be afraid. God has come to test you, so that the fear of God will be with you to keep you from sinning.” (Exod 20:20.) Obviously God doesn't want us to be afraid of Him. Fear of God means to revere Him.

Second: what does it mean to give glory to God? Some people believe it means to attend church and to fulfill religious rituals. Is it true? “Let him who glories glory in this, That he understands and knows Me, That I am the LORD, exercising lovingkindness, judgment, and righteousness in the earth. For in these I delight,” says the LORD.” (Jer. 9:24: NKJ). Don't misunderstand me. I won't talk you out of attending church. But this is not enough. Jesus states, that halfhearted Christianity is worse, than unbelief (Rev. 3:15-16).

Third: The Apostle John, who was writing the book of Revelation in the late 1st century, stated that the hour of the judgment “has come” already. In the last verses of Revelation, Christ said: “Behold, I am coming soon! My reward is with me, and I will give to everyone according to what he has done.” (Rev. 22:12). It is obvious that the trial takes place before His second coming. All signs of the times show the Second Coming of Christ is near, “right at the door” (Mt. 24:33).

This time for repentance make us greatly responsible and is calling us to step forward on the way of sanctification.

Tom wondered, “What is the good news?” The attorney looked in his eyes. “When you come in court, I will be not only your defense attorney, I will also be your judge.”

Who is the Judge at God's trial? “T he Father judges no one, but has entrusted all judgment to the Son.” (Jn 5:22).

Summary. The Biblical view of becoming a person is the re-creation of the perfect human nature that was lost at the Fall of man. For its accomplishment w e have to admit we are sinners who need a Savior. To become perfect and holy we need to invite Christ to come into our hearts. We must ask Him to be our Lord and personal Savior and to help us to overcome sin. Salvation is provided by God as a free gift through the sacrificial death of our Lord on the cross. Having confessed before God our specific sins, we receive God's forgiveness by grace through faith.

Four conditions put sanctification into effect. They are:

•identification with Christ
    •a personal relationship with Him of living faith
    •studying and abiding in God's Word and
    •confession of faith.

The stages of personality transformation (sanctification) are:

•living faith
    •repentance
    •conversion and
    •devotion.

References:

1.Crabb L. Connecting: Healing of Ourselves and Our Relationships. A Radical New Vision. World Publishing, 1997, 212 p.
    2.Yancey Ph. Disappointment with God. Three Questions No One Asks Aloud. Harper Collins Publishers, 1988, 319 p

Viewing 20 posts - 41 through 60 (of 98 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 1999 - 2024 Heaven Net

Navigation

© 1999 - 2023 - Heaven Net
or

or    

Forgot your details?

or

Create Account