Sola Scriptura

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 20 posts - 61 through 80 (of 80 total)
  • Author
    NickHassan
    Participant

Hi KJ,
    If you want to be in control then perhaps developing your own religion may be best.
    Our faith demands we shut our faces in view of the awesome deeds of our God.

Zechariah 2:13
    Be silent, O all flesh, before the LORD: for he is raised up out of his holy habitation.

kejonn
    Participant

You get nastier with every post you make Nick. You have shown you are much less human and much more blind puppet.

NickHassan
    Participant

Hi KJ,
    Does scripture offend you?
    Then do not blame us.

Mandy
    Participant

Quote (kejonn @ Mar. 13 2008,13:19)
    In other words, have “blind faith”. No thanks, see my tagline.

Abe knew with his mind that taking the life of his only son made no sense. But he had faith in God and went ahead to obey. Whether or not the story is true, it's a good example of “blind faith” in action.

TimothyVI
    Participant

Quote (Mandy @ Mar. 13 2008,15:34)

Abe knew with his mind that taking the life of his only son made no sense.  But he had faith in God and went ahead to obey.  Whether or not the story is true, it's a good example of “blind faith” in action.

I still say that whenever God supposedly tells a person to do something that is obscenely wrong, how does that person know that it is really God.

There have been many schizophrenic people who are spending the rest of their lives in prison because they believed that God told them to kill someone and they completed the heinous act in blind faith.

Tim

Cato
    Participant

Abe knew with his mind that taking the life of his only son made no sense.  But he had faith in God and went ahead to obey.  Whether or not the story is true, it's a good example of “blind faith” in action.

Mandy you raise an interesting point, Christian's often point out that other god's of this time like Moloch, Bhaal, etc.,were evil because their worship included sacrificing children.  Yet when God ask's Abraham to sacrifice his child, overuling his heart for God's instruction, it is looked at as the pinnacle of faith and holiness?  Yes it was just a test, but Abraham was about to do so out of faith, yet when followers of Moloch do so they are demon worshiping purveyers of evil.  (Note, I do not equate God with a petty concept like Moloch nor do I question God, but rather that these stories especially in the OT seem flawed).  I think I will start a new thread on how the OT imparts (wrongly I believe) many pagan characteristics to the Almighty.

TimothyVI
    Participant

Why would God even command anything that obscene as a test. People have to have a way to tell if something is from God or not and it is taught in the OT that God may tell you to kill your own child as a test.

Would any of you kill your child if you thought that God told you to, or would you say that God could not command such a thing.

Tim

NickHassan
    Participant

Hi Tim4,
    We do not judge the motives and actions of God.
    If you took Abraham from the bible would you have much left?

kejonn
    Participant

Quote (Nick Hassan @ Mar. 12 2008,22:06)
    Hi KJ,
    Does scripture offend you?
    Then do not blame us.

Not so much scripture as your words

Quote (Nick Hassan @ Mar. 12 2008,21:46)

Our faith demands we shut our faces in view of the awesome deeds of our God.

Zechariah 2:13
    Be silent, O all flesh, before the LORD: for he is raised up out of his holy habitation.

There is a difference between being silent and “shutting our faces”.

Mandy
    Participant

Quote (Cato @ Mar. 13 2008,23:33)

Mandy you raise an interesting point, Christian's often point out that other god's of this time like Moloch, Bhaal, etc.,were evil because their worship included sacrificing children.  Yet when God ask's Abraham to sacrifice his child, overuling his heart for God's instruction, it is looked at as the pinnacle of faith and holiness?  Yes it was just a test, but Abraham was about to do so out of faith, yet when followers of Moloch do so they are demon worshiping purveyers of evil.  (Note, I do not equate God with a petty concept like Moloch nor do I question God, but rather that these stories especially in the OT seem flawed).  I think I will start a new thread on how the OT imparts (wrongly I believe) many pagan characteristics to the Almighty.

Cato,

I largely agree with you. However, as Nick points out, if you believe the bible to be flawed, who is qualified to disect it's parts?

I also believe the written Word is flawed. But I am not qualified to determine with total accuracy which parts do not belong. Any ideas?

:)

kejonn
    Participant

Quote (Cato @ Mar. 13 2008,06:33)

Not only that, but it seems that the portrait of pagan religions in the bible is not quite accurate. Many archaeological discoveries bear this out.

Basically, the bible presents the view of said religions in the eyes of those who view it from the opposite side. Similar to us speaking about Islam and not really knowing much about it, or a Muslim speaking about Christianity without knowing much about it.

IOW, biased.

Mandy
    Participant

Quote (TimothyVI @ Mar. 14 2008,03:56)
    Why would God even command anything that obscene as a test. People have to have a way to tell if something is from God or not and it is taught in the OT that God may tell you to kill your own child as a test.

Would any of you kill your child if you thought that God told you to, or would you say that God could not command such a thing.

Tim

Hi Tim,

Is is possible that God knew Abe loved his son more than him? Or is it a coincidence that a child sacrifice was the “thing” required? Quite possibly now-a-days God would have required Abe's BMW or his boat? Maybe he would require that he give up Monday Night Football? I dunno….

TimothyVI
    Participant

Hi Mandy,
    In my mind it doesn't matter. If all scripture is good for teaching then we are taught
    that God may ask us to kill one of our children. If we believe that, and God doesn't stop
    us and provide a lamb, we are guilty of murdering our own child.

Nick likes to say “who are we to judge God” but he did not answer my question, if he would kill his son if he
    thought that God was telling him to. I would declare that it wasn't God demanding such a deed, it had to be satan.

Tim

kejonn
    Participant

Quote (Mandy @ Mar. 13 2008,14:12)

Quote (TimothyVI @ Mar. 14 2008,03:56)

Tim

Hi Tim,

Is is possible that God knew Abe loved his son more than him?  Or is it a coincidence that a child sacrifice was the “thing” required?  Quite possibly now-a-days God would have required Abe's BMW or his boat?  Maybe he would require that he give up Monday Night Football?  I dunno….

I do believe that child sacrifice was common in prehistoric communities. Abe might have even seen it amongst his fellow family. So he might have accepted that such was commonplace.

Goes to show that people throughout history can attribute some fairly evil views to God.

Mandy
    Participant

Quote (TimothyVI @ Mar. 14 2008,07:28)
    Hi Mandy,
    In my mind it doesn't matter. If all scripture is good for teaching then we are taught
    that God may ask us to kill one of our children. If we believe that, and God doesn't stop
    us and provide a lamb, we are guilty of murdering our own child.

Nick likes to say “who are we to judge God” but he did not answer my question, if he would kill his son if he
    thought that God was telling him to. I would declare that it wasn't God demanding such a deed, it had to be satan.

Tim

Don't get me wrong, I agree with your view Tim.

I'm just trying to make sense of something that I fear is nonsense.

NickHassan
    Participant

For CA,
    Men love following men.,
    It means we do not need to take care where we place our own feet.
    Is this wise?

Paladin
    Participant

Quote (Stu @ Mar. 10 2008,18:13)

Quote (jhenTux @ Mar. 10 2008,13:15)
    hi nick. as usual, always the first to reply on my questions. tnx for that. so my question is still left unanswered. do we need traditions?

If you want to square the Genesis myth with modern science you will need the profoundly dishonest creationism industry to be included in your tradition.  Genesis just doesn't match archeology.  You could ask kejonn for more details about this.

The christian apologist tradition is also needed to square all the other factual and ethical inconsistencies that can be discerned from a literal reading of, say, the KJV.  Apologists are charletans too, in my inhumble opinion!

Stuart

I have researched all over the net and in seventeen libraries looking for some reference to this “Genesis myth,” but can't find anything about it.

I do however, find plenty of references to a Genesis account of the beginning of things. Perhaps your education is faulty?

kejonn
    Participant

^^ Didn't go too far, did ya? Google search on Genesis myth

” Results 1 – 100 of about 1,620,000 for genesis myth”

Whouda thunkit?

Stu
    Participant

Quote (Paladin @ Aug. 25 2009,23:29)

Quote (Stu @ Mar. 10 2008,18:13)

Quote (jhenTux @ Mar. 10 2008,13:15)
    hi nick. as usual, always the first to reply on my questions. tnx for that. so my question is still left unanswered. do we need traditions?

If you want to square the Genesis myth with modern science you will need the profoundly dishonest creationism industry to be included in your tradition.  Genesis just doesn't match archeology.  You could ask kejonn for more details about this.

The christian apologist tradition is also needed to square all the other factual and ethical inconsistencies that can be discerned from a literal reading of, say, the KJV.  Apologists are charletans too, in my inhumble opinion!

Stuart

I have researched all over the net and in seventeen libraries looking for some reference to this “Genesis myth,” but can't find anything about it.

I do however, find plenty of references to a Genesis account of the beginning of things. Perhaps your education is faulty?

There are plenty of references to the details of the crimes solved by Sherlock Holmes.

Stuart

Douglas
    Participant

Quote (kejonn @ Aug. 26 2009,01:32)
    ^^ Didn't go too far, did ya? Google search on Genesis myth

” Results 1 – 100 of about 1,620,000 for genesis myth”

Whouda thunkit?

Results 1 – 10 of about 7,630,000 for big bang theory

Couldn't resist!

Hey, my sense of the universe being proportionate is at least slightly restored, probably means I've been hanging out on this site for too long now.

Viewing 20 posts - 61 through 80 (of 80 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 1999 - 2024 Heaven Net

Navigation

© 1999 - 2023 - Heaven Net
or

or    

Forgot your details?

or

Create Account